• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: First look as Durango XDK (always connected, kinect required, must install)

Piggus

So is there going to be a crow eating thread for anyone who believed that Durango will require a constant internet connection to play games?

The notion is entirely ludicrous - Microsoft is not going to severely limit their prospective userbase (and possibly entire regions of countries) by doing something that is already well-documented as archaic and negative for consumers.

Seriously - I know some of you are just basing it off rumours, and some simply because they think Microsoft is some entity of evil... but just think for a minute - the fact that anyone believes this is ridiculous.

Well it's right there in the documentation. It's a leak, not a rumor.

Having to activate a game means you need internet to use it.

imjust1n

Banned
everyone ....get ready get set ....GET MAD!!!!

I can careless about that stuff what I would care about is making the system an
only entertainment system sorry xbox I have a computer for that and a phone and a tablet.
I dont want a million device that play netflix ...I want games and cool features that relate to video games. like ps4 streaming my video games spectating my video games.

Amir0x

Banned

he's been pretty cool in the past

but man oh man after this SimCity debacle I hope Microsoft suddenly woke up

Piggus said:

The document is actually open to some interpretation. However, we have had solid rumours from sources that got EVERYTHING right about the PS4 (everything except RAM) and they have also said Xbox Durango needs to always be online to function.

Xenon

What's Sony have to do with it? MS is the only one that has a paywall. I've heard arguments that XBL is better than even Steam with the mantra of "You get what you pay for."

Only the fact that their fans seem to come into every MS thread with a generation of salt build-up and try to paint every piece of news in the worst possible light. It is humorous to see how they react to every rumor. This thread is especially funny since many of them are huffing and puffing over something that wasn't confirmed or even stated by the OP, online being required to play games or use the system.

Iacobellis

The document is actually open to some interpretation. However, we have had solid rumours from sources that got EVERYTHING right about the PS4 (everything except RAM) and they have also said Xbox Durango needs to always be online to function.

They won't.

Ballmer Laughs at iPhone

Isn't this the same guy who said that Durango got a CPU spec bump?

Is he? Thought that was proelite.
Only the fact that their fans seem to come into every MS thread with a generation of salt build-up and try to paint every piece of news in the worst possible light. It is humorous to see how they react to every rumor. This thread is especially funny since many of them are huffing and puffing over something that wasn't confirmed or even stated by the OP, online being required to play games or use the system.
You can't really paint some of the rumors so far in a negative light, they're just negatives.

Satchel

Banned
Lololol, you think MS is still targeting gamers?

Do you really think people who's idea of a hardcore game is Plants VS Zombies or Kinect Sports is going to even UNDERSTAND what an "always online" console means and the ramifications it brings???

What has MS done in the past 3 years to make you think that they still have you at the top of their priority list? I'm genuinely, truly curious.

Did you take Sonys final years with the Ps2 as an indication of their direction with the PS3?

Or Nintendos with the Cube?

Just to touch on the hacking fiasco Sony went through; if for some reason MS does require an Internet connection, and they also block used games, how likely is it that they will be targeted just like Sony was? Heck, what if both are targeted again? If they are forced offline, and the console proves useless without a connection, that could pose big time problems, which is why I'm hesitant to believe they would go that route.

Iacobellis

Well iPhone is boring so he's right.

Did you not see when the video was uploaded? He made a mockery of a product based solely on price, when nowadays they are playing catchup to Apple with Windows Phone 8 devices. And how much is the Surface Pro? Near a grand?

When online features become same as hardware spec?
Plus the XDK did not mention require online to play games

Raven77

Did you take Sonys final years with the Ps2 as an indication of their direction with the PS3?

Or Nintendos with the Cube?

Care to explain what Sony did in the final years of the PS2??? No idea what you're talking about.

Did they release the PS Eye and make shit casual games and then force you to buy one with the PS3?

Nope.

strata8

Sheesh. There are official MS documents and help files that use 'specs'.

Where are they? You've yet to find an actual developer article that uses 'specs'. A consumer FAQ for Windows RT isn't exactly similar to MDSN documentation.

edit: Actually, don't worry about it. This is just getting silly and it's pretty inconsequential anyway.

The only thing I want if this console requires "always be connected to internet or be charge with conspiracy", is that the Kinect Camera is able to distinguish my ass from my stomach. Always have that problems with cameras.

Vestal

Gold Member

Having to activate a game means you need internet to use it.

Wow.. Never heard of faking a screenshot? Seriously, like I've stated a few times in this thread what is written in that screenshot makes absolutely no sense given the audience it is supposedly intended for. Not to mention that it is not written with the usual style of Microsoft documentation..

I'll say it again, Microsoft is too bombastic to simply say hey "its more powerful than our 8 year old console"

i-Lo

Just to touch on the hacking fiasco Sony went through; if for some reason MS does require an Internet connection, and they also block used games, how likely is it that they will be targeted just like Sony was? Heck, what if both are targeted again? If they are forced offline, and the console proves useless without a connection, that could pose big time problems, which is why I'm hesitant to believe they would go that route.

All 3 players are almost always being targeted and it will continue to be so. The possibility of an impending hack resulting in the inability to play games at all offline would lead to unspeakable amount of backlash.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
But if installs are required and content cannot be read from disc, how would physical copies not come with an activation code or something equivalent? Are you going to be able to use one disc to install games on anyone's console?

Is that somehow a problem on the 360 with it's install system? Installed games still require the disc to be present even though no information is read from disc. You can actually remove the disc after the game has started if your system is in pieces.

The system will simply require the disc to be present to confirm it's ownership.

I actually like the idea of installing games while you play from disk. Installations will help with load times considerably and you won't have to worry about deleting them and waiting forever to install them again. As long as they let users manage it properly it's probably what I'd be doing any way if disk installs are allowed on everything. Really weird that disk streaming isn't even supported though. It seems like that's definitely hinting at no used games.

Another problem is if the include a small hard drive. I think we all know MS will try and rape their customers with proprietary hard drives.

Here's the thing. The idea that one of the console manufactures would require you to be connected to the internet for it to function is as about as realistic as one of the big 3 consoles with no physical media. We're just not there yet and the market they would have to cut off to achieve it is too large.

B.O.O.M

"Always online, always connected"

Save us Sony, you're out only hope!

Ok and maybe Nintendo too...

Nintendo already went the 'always weak sauce hardware' route. And I am not certain if Sony will avoid all these steps MS is taking either. I sure hope they won't but I am keeping my fingers crossed until E3

Darryl

Banned
Wow.. Never heard of faking a screenshot? Seriously, like I've stated a few times in this thread what is written in that screenshot makes absolutely no sense given the audience it is supposedly intended for. Not to mention that it is not written with the usual style of Microsoft documentation..

I'll say it again, Microsoft is too bombastic to simply say hey "its more powerful than our 8 year old console"

it could be an attempt to dumb it down for all them crazy indies

coldfoot

Banned
Huh?you still need disc to play,but you can install it in more than one console,what's the problem with that?just like 360 but require install this time
Doc says discs have no use after initial install. This includes checking for copy protection. Which means online will be used for drm.

Didn't mean to quote the used game part (because I do no believe it will be anything other than a online pass mechanism if anything at all).Online to play is horeshit until there is actually a factual document stating this.

I was arguing with the idea that Sony's beefier hardware would be a ticket to win anything. MS is playing thier cards close to their chest. PSN spent this generation trying to catch up with LIVE, I expect a repeat.

MS is good at getting people to want to purchase their system (In the US anyways :p)

Joe Six pack might not follow the system wars, but he usually knows who does. In my case, people know that I play games, they know that I follow this stuff closely, and they ask me things like..."Is kinect good?" "Do you think the PS4 is better than the 720?" Maybe thats not the case with a majority of people, but in my experience it is.

Einbroch

Banned
If they force a connection and developers back them with lots of exclusive games, I'm done with gaming. The world has a lot of activities, and gaming won't be one of mine.

Jedi2016

Wasn't there a number recently that talked about what percentage of Xboxs were actually online? I forget the number, but it was not an insignificant percentage. A quick Google shows that around 20% have never been connected online at all, even for hardware updates. And there's less than half the amount of Xbox Live accounts as there are Xbox 360s.

I personally have a friend who lives out in the country, and is on satellite internet, with an extremely limited bandwidth cap. He'll never be able to keep any console online at all times. They'll be lucky if he plugs it in once a month to check for firmware updates, much less things like game patches and DLC that will hit his daily cap without even trying.

My point is, I highly doubt they'll cut out such a large portion of their current install base by requiring an always-on connection. I imagine that the "online Xbox" will be an "ideal" that they'll strive for, if users really want to use the system to it's full potential, but it won't actually be a requirement. That's how Sony's playing it.. Lots of online features, but all of it's optional.

My larger concern is the Kinect. I don't like the idea of having a camera that can be turned on at any time, with or without my knowledge. I have a sneaking suspicion that the system will balk if you attempt to cover the Kinect, point it at a wall, or in any way impede its ability to see you or hear you, even if you're not playing a game that uses it (although I think MS will push all developers to use it on every damned game they make). Frankly, I'm a bit concerned about that on Sony's side, too, since they're packing the new Eye-whatever in with PS4. But they've said nothing about requiring it, and I'll probably do what I do with my PS Eye now.. I unplug it entirely unless I'm actually playing a game that uses the Move.

abadguy

Banned
Lololol, you think MS is still targeting gamers?

Do you really think people who's idea of a hardcore game is Plants VS Zombies or Kinect Sports is going to even UNDERSTAND what an "always online" console means and the ramifications it brings???

What has MS done in the past 3 years to make you think that they still have you at the top of their priority list? I'm genuinely, truly curious.

Well all the games studios they've been opening up and the talent they've been hiring lately would point to them targeting gamers.

its looking that way by each new leaked detail. could you imagine the marketing its going to take to convey exactly what this console will entail to the "Kinect, Madden, Call of Duty" crowd.

And by "every new leaked detail" you mean the same "leaked details" we've been getting for the last month.

Zukuu

Banned
Doc says discs have no use after initial install. This includes checking for copy protection. Which means online will be used for drm.

Or CD Key-esque, which would mean one time internet connection.

I doubt Box will require internet connection tho. The infrastructure just isn't there yet.

mh... Satellite 3G X-Box activator stick that can Microsoft sell for 30$ and costs additional 1$ per use?!

You heard it here first folks.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

Ummm, that's interesting, I think that's a valid trade off tbh, I really hate dealing with discs and this will allow me to go digital without having to pay digital prices.

Top Bottom