• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Video) Cancelled pitch of Diddy Kong Racing Adventure by Climax for GC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6d5IbpzFtw

This video is by PtoPOnline, and it goes into huge detail about the pitch Climax made of a never picked-up pitch of a new Diddy Kong Racing for GC.

However, the gameplay shown is really bizarre, as you see Diddy on a generic rhino (ala Donkey Kong Racing), but 1. this is never referenced in the details, and 2. that rhino is literally ripped from Rare's Donkey Kong Racing successor Sabreman Stampede (before itself being cancelled).

Very weird, but still, the pitch details are really interesting.

J@hranimo

Banned
Very weird indeed. The Rhino is so much bigger than Diddy, it's jarring! Interesting though, thanks for sharing.

Borman

The rhino is just a placeholder. They actually had it working in the Metallica game. I'll add it to the description later, phone bandwidth nearly gone. Game dev is weird.

Borman

For those wondering why it was on the Xbox, its not likely that they would have brought an Xbox with them to demo it. Video works, and you cant tell the platform isnt right :)

tesla246

Such a shame Rareware was sold off; one of gamings greatest tragedies. The poses affecting how a certain obstacle/path should be taken resulting in an easier/quicker progress seemed really interesting. Like a combo of movements/stances resulting in smooth racing.

Gamecube could have used a few games from Rareware.

Definitely interesting. I always like hearing about cancelled games and pitches of possible games and debating on how they would turn out if they became actual games that were released in the wild.

I just think it's kinda sad how Diddy Kong Racing is seemingly lost to the ages forever.

Like, when looking at Rare's back catalogue, if I wanted to play their Donkey Kong games, I could just download them off of Nintendo's eshops. If I wanted to play Banjo, Perfect Dark, Conker, etc I could just play them through Rare Replay. But alas, due to its nature, there's no way to play DKR in the modern era outside of emulation.

Granted, there's that DS port, but it was pretty lackluster and not a good substitute for the original. I really doubt Nintendo will ever release it on one of their eshops or acknowledge it.

It's a shame a lot of these types of games didn't make it past the N64/PS1 era. As a big fan of LEGO Racers 2 and Crash Team Racing, I enjoyed these racing games with story modes and collectibles etc.

Also, the first thing that popped in my mind is the "non-completed/beaten areas being black & white" which immediately made me think of The Saboteur. There had to be a game that did that beforehand, right?

Amazing find and great video Borman! :D

Do you by chance still have the original art of the pitch shown here in the thumbnail?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yukinari

Seeing Donkey Kong Racing on the back of the gamecube box when i bought mine got me so excited to play it.

Thanks Microsoft.

Top Bottom