• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Sales (November 21 - 27)

ioi

Banned
apotema said:
Each holiday japanese give us a new present:

2003: Dengeki stopped to put numbers in their charts
2004: Shrine of Data stopped updating regularly
2005: We lose the daily charts???
2006: ????

Other news: My predictions for this week:

Biohazard 4: 285,000
Monster Hunter Portable: 160,000
Slime Mori Mori: 70,000
Animal Crossing: 90,000
Gundam Gachapon Wars: 35,000
Dragon Ball Z2: 45,000
Power Pro Kun 8: 40,000

Your thoughts??

Well, based on what has been said:

Biohazard 4: 75,000
Monster Hunter Portable: 70,000
Slime Mori Mori: 85,000
Animal Crossing: 110,000
Gundam Gachapon Wars: 40,000
Dragon Ball Z2: 40,000
Power Pro Kun 8: 30,000

Donnie

Resident Evil 4 took well over a year to port to PS2. Capcom spent large sums of money on tens of thousands of man hours. No doubt the game has been quite a loss maker for Capcom on PS2 considering the dire sales so far. Meanwhile the GC version, which cost even more to develop, will have taken a nice profit. What happened to all the people who were 100% sure that the PS2 version would easily outsell its GC counterpart?

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road..

Wait, are you saying 'Good Riddance' to dialy charts? :D

neo2046

Data from Famitsu

PS2 39359
GC 6610
XB 124
GBA 436
GBASP 6787
GBM 7412
PSP 53771
DS 162398

DS 37.0
PS2 33.4
GBA 17.5
GC 7.6
PSP 4.4
xb 0.1

1. Animal Crossing WW 335425
2. Rockman EXE6 190285
3. Soul Calibur 3 100231
4. Ratchet & Clank 4 88497
5. Naruto 4 GC 87670
6. Pokemon Dungeon Blue NDS 60141 194917
7. Pokemon Dungeon Red GBA 58112 179306
8. Ikusagami PS2 54140
9. Gundam Seed Union vs ZAFT PS2 45663 376052
10. Tamagotchi NDS 38363 401955

11. Adult Brain Training DS 32039 795610
12. Asobi Taizen NDS 28781 158716
13. Dracula PS2 28049
14. Gentle Exercise NDS 26044 683464
17. Nintendogs 15786 787501
18. Pokemon Troze 13816 131040
20. Brain Training PSP 12719 138685
21. Talkman PSP 9774 24050
22. Hotshot Golf (Best) 9546 17401
23. One Piece (Party game) PS2 8928
24..hack 8916
26. Famicom Mini Super Mario Bros GBA 8518 987603
28. Super Princess Peach NDS 6730 82573
29. Rebirth Moon 6074
30. SSX 5773

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rock_Man said:
So Brain training surpassed nintendogs this week. Just Wario left.
And looking at what it sold in this chart from Famitsu, it'll happen in the next chart.

Culex

Banned
marvelharvey said:
Do the PSP software sales inc UMDs? I'm doubting it, but either way that figure is shockingly low :(

I don't believe it does.

Software sales in Japan are so much more strikingly different than the US right now. In Japan, the DS is outselling the PSP in software by over 5 million units. It's insane.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PhoenixDark said:
So, no new numbers still? It's already Dec. 7th.
We'll get weekly software chart tonight, but it seems like the dailies are dead.

ki/oon

OK here is a glimpse of things to come, again thanks to Shinobi :

-Animal Crossing still going strong, about 500K sold in two weeks, still low on stock.
-Bio Hazard 4 PS2 breaks 200K on first week.
-Monster Hunter PSP breaks 100K on first week.

But DS is said to be the main platform salewise. Previously released titles have seen a jump of 1,5 to twice their previous weekly sales.
-Tamagotchi DS is closing 500K.
-Asobi Taikai breaks 200K.
-Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon DS and GBA combined break 400K.
-Brain Training DS breaks 800K.
-Soft Brain Training DS breaks 700K.
-Nintendogs (3 versions) breaks 800K.

DS hardware sales are about the same as last week, and are expected to grow even bigger with the release of Mario Kart in a few days.

ki/oon said:

-Animal Crossing still going strong, about 500K sold in two weeks, still low on stock.

But DS is said to be the main platform salewise. Previously released titles have seen a jump of 1,5 to twice their previous weekly sales.

DS hardware sales are about the same as last week, and are expected to grow even bigger with the release of Mario Kart in a few days.

The DS owns Japan like Drinky owns GAF

Culex

Banned
ki/oon said:

500k in two weeks for Animal Crossing is great news. That's half of what the GC version did in it's entire lifetime @_@.

RE4 is actually selling more on the PS2? I don't believe it! ;)

I hope Nintendogs breaks a million by New Years'. Oogami will be eating crow. :D

If the DS hardware is nearly the same as last week (a little lower, most likely) then this will be the best month for the DS since launch. If you figure it did about 120k (I'm being conservative) for the previous week, then 250k in two weeks time is mind boggling for the DS.

neo2046 said:
DS 37.0
PS2 33.4
GBA 17.5
GC 7.6
PSP 4.4
xb 0.1

As it seems we have absolutely no reason to doubt these numbers, but ... WTF!?

4.4% software marketshare for PSP? :lol

Of course they didn't have a title like Animal Crossing, but it just seems to be absolutely horrible.

@Ki/oon Didn't we have a confirmation that RE 4 PS2 sold about 40k on it's first day? I'm really confused what is going on this week :D

We still don't know anything about the new DS releases, do we? :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
DS is getting scary popular over there. How is it doing in the states now compared to PSP? It's even doing well in UK and I think Europe.

ki/oon

@Ki/oon Didn't we have a confirmation that RE 4 PS2 sold about 40k on it's first day? I'm really confused what is going on this week

I don't think those numbers were reliable. They were not from Shinobi, that's all I know :)

koam

catfish said:
DS is getting scary popular over there. How is it doing in the states now compared to PSP? It's even doing well in UK and I think Europe.

It's gradually outselling the PSP more and more but we don't know what effect Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have had yet.

shinobi said:

This is the most surprising and impressive thing IMO. For the hardware sales to be about the same as last week but older titles selling 1.5/double the previous weeks sales is insane.

I know the two are in wholly different realms, but the better the DS does, the better I believe the Revolution will do.

If these charts are right, next week will be even more ridiculous for the DS. Mario Kart should be out in a matter of hours and EVERY single person I know here that is into games is either buying a DS tomorrow with Mario Kart or already owns a DS and is picking up Mario Kart after waiting FAR too long.

ioi

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
This is the most surprising and impressive thing IMO. For the hardware sales to be about the same as last week but older titles selling 1.5/double the previous weeks sales is insane.

I know the two are in wholly different realms, but the better the DS does, the better I believe the Revolution will do.

It will keep doing this all the way upto xmas, my god the DS is gonna blow everything else out of the water. I can see Brain Training doing 100k a week for a couple of weeks over xmas.

Simply amazing!!

ziran

SpoonyBard said:
PSP has only 4.4% of total game sales? Uh Oh.
it's not that surprising and has been that way for most of the year in japan.

psp hardware has sold well, its software hasn't.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Forgotten Ancient said:
wholly different realms? Not if Nintendo delivers with connectivity this time around (the mere DS demos download feature could be a great incentive to buy a Revolution)

Oogami

Banned
Culex said:
RE4 is actually selling more on the PS2? I don't believe it! ;)

I hope Nintendogs breaks a million by New Years'. Oogami will be eating crow. :D

??????? :/

I like how that works. I'm right by saying no version of Nintendogs will ever hit a million and I'm still right. And I'm right AGAIN that...............

Shinobi said:

Oogami said:
I bet it'll sell at least 200k first week. Who's with me?

I AM SPOT ON! I'm the opposite of being owned! I OWN. Not owned. No one agrees with me and you all eat crows.

SO FREE ME FROM THE MISLEADING TAG! You all are the ones who are OWNED all the time! :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oogami said:
I AM SPOT ON! I'm the opposite of being owned! I OWN. Not owned. No one agrees with me and you all eat crows.

SO FREE ME FROM THE MISLEADING TAG! You all are the ones who are OWNED all the time! :lol
ki/oon said:
OK here is a glimpse of things to come, again thanks to Shinobi
The same source reporting it again doesn't make it any more or less true. But I guess I should be more optimistic towards these numbers.

Oogami

Banned
jj984jj said:
The same source reporting it again doesn't make it any more or less true. But I guess I should be more optimistic towards these numbers.

Shinobi is absolutely reliable just like Oogami is. Do not doubt them.

Mrbob

What has happened to the daily charts? Isn't Rogue Galaxy out now? I want to see how it is doing. Level 5 ownage is upon as who cares about RE4 porting!

Rogue Galaxy > Dragon Quest 8

Level 5 gets back to making their own game!

Mrbob said:
What has happened to the daily charts? Isn't Rogue Galaxy out now? I want to see how it is doing. Level 5 ownage is upon as who cares about RE4 porting!

I think Yahoo, or whomever Yahoo was getting the numbers from, stopped releasing the information. Someone else here could tell ya better, but it's along those lines.

Firest0rm

Oogami said:
??????? :/

I like how that works. I'm right by saying no version of Nintendogs will ever hit a million and I'm still right. And I'm right AGAIN that...............

Oogami said:

Oogami said:
So? That doesn't mean it would sell even near a million.

You never said "no version of Nintendogs".

donny2112

Forgotten Ancient said:
I feel left out in not knowing what "doubutsu no" means. :'(

It comes from the Japanese title for Animal Crossing (Animal Forest in Japan), (forgive me on the spelling) Doubutsu no Mori. Oogami got "owned" because he interpreted a news report of 25-10,000s (i.e. 250,000) 2-day sale numbers as 25,000 and made a whole thread about it.

donny2112 said:
It comes from the Japanese title for Animal Crossing (Animal Forest in Japan), (forgive me on the spelling) Doubutsu no Mori. Oogami got "owned" because he interpreted a news report of 25-10,000s (i.e. 250,000) 2-day sale numbers as 25,000 and made a whole thread about it.

Ahh, thanks :) I remember the reason he got the tag, but I somehow missed the meaning of it :p

ki/oon

Just when I was losing faith in gamers in general thanks to RE4's low start... YAY!

Yeah, RE4 deserves to sell like crazy whatever platform it's on. The blast I had with this game :)

Top Bottom