• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Sales (November 21 - 27)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If sales are bad enough, perhaps Capcom will reconsider continuing development for the PS3 and Xbox360. :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CVXFREAK said:
Yeah.

sinobi said that stores weren't selling tons of them. 40K though, ouch.

Once it's all said and done, this may have backfired on Capcom.
ugh, I don't really understand when it's all said and done RE4 is one the best this gen what the fuck is wrong with the people it bombed here and it's on course to bomb in Japan. :(

Sinobi no Enmaco only said that RE4 did quite good. Its comsumption rate isn't all that good.
But the sales figure is a bit better than GC version on its day 1 sales.

The guy also said that Monster Hunter Portable did three times better than Winning Eleven 9 did on its first day. It sure will break 100k after a week later.

Izzy

Banned
Michirou_53 said:
The guy also said that Monster Hunter Portable did three times better than Winning Eleven 9 did on its first day. It sure will break 100k after a week later.

O__O I just knew it would sell a lot - it was the first PSP game to break into Famitsu top 20 Most Wanted.

Thanks for the info, mate! :) Anything new on PSP/DS or Slime Mori Mori/Dragon Ball Z sales?

cvxfreak

Michirou_53 said:
Sinobi no Enmaco only said that RE4 did quite good. Its comsumption rate isn't all that good.
But the sales figure is a bit better than GC version on its day 1 sales.

It couldn't have been higher than GC if it only sold 40K on day one. GC day one was 117K.

DrLazy

Link said:
I don't think actually porting the game was a poor decision so much as announcing the port before the GC version came out, then waiting nearly a year to release it.

They basically killed off a bunch of hype for the GC version, then let interest dwindle until barely anyone cared anymore.

That's so true. I had gamer friends that decided to wait... but now everyone is more interested in the 360 new PS2 games etc... It was really a job to save the executives at Capcom from the wrath of stockholders.

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Pretty much.

Oh, I just visited it and allegedly Monster Hunter is selling rather well - better than WE9, even (all Babelfished, though).

There's also some info on Dragon Ball Z and Slime Mori Mori (supposedly they didn't sell all that well). Could you translate it all for us (Monster Hunter PSP info + DS stuff) or confirm my crappy, Babelfished translation? :)

cvxfreak

Izzy said:
Oh, I just visited it and allegedly Monster Hunter is selling rather well - better than WE9, even (all Babelfished, though).

There's also some info on Dragon Ball Z and Slime Mori Mori (supposedly they didn't sell all that well). Could you translate it all for us (Monster Hunter PSP info + DS stuff) or confirm my crappy, Babelfished translation? :)

Sorry, I'm not at that level of Japanese yet. :(

I Babelfished it though and all it seems to talk about are how the sell-through-rate isn't that high and that that the graphics are close to the GC version.

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Sorry, I'm not at that level of Japanese yet. :(

I Babelfished it though and all it seems to talk about are how the sell-through-rate isn't that high and that that the graphics are close to the GC version.

Yeah - that's what I got RE: RE4.

Allegedly, Monster Hunter PSP is guaranteed to break 100k and is selling faster than Winning Eleven 9 PSP did during its debut (twice as fast - I'm not sure about the BBF translation :_\)

Then he compares it with new DS releases' sales and it doesn't look good for those games.

That's what I got. :-\

cvxfreak

Yeah, reports say Dec. 1 DS releases didn't fare too well. But they'll probably have long legs, so we'll see next week.

Man, last year, first day sales data came in virtually every week. And on top of that we had early Famitsu data. I wonder what happened? :(

Izzy

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Yeah, reports say Dec. 1 DS releases didn't fare too well. But they'll probably have long legs, so we'll see next week.

Agreed - I expect them to sell well in the long run. I didn't expect MH to outsell WE9, though.

CVXFREAK said:
Man, last year, first day sales data came in virtually every week. And on top of that we had early Famitsu data. I wonder what happened? :(

Yeah, early Famitsu data, early first day sales numbers! :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
CVXFREAK said:
Thanks! :lol

We gotta bring it up next week when we see the low sales figures.
You need to add the part about him hating Sony to his pic so you can post it in the thread. :D

Oogami

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Sorry, but I think Sinobi took his data from an unreliable source this time. There was a rumour going around that BH4 had sold 187k and MHPSP had sold 95k, but this was shown to be BS by a legit poster. They both sold around 40k.

There's a Japanese thread here about it:
http://www2.realint.com/cgi-bin/tarticles.cgi?ralva+1338

While just like the guy said that it's not likely to have such detail numbers so soon, so 187k might be false, but why is 40k reliable? I say 40k is false too. :)

I bet it'll sell at least 200k first week. Who's with me?

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Oogami said:
While just like the guy said that it's not likely to have such detail numbers so soon, so 187k might be false, but why is 40k reliable? I say 40k is false too. :)

Doubutsu no OWNED
:lol

Though I don't know what's the funnier comment, that or Capcom going Nintnendo exclusive this generation.
If sales are bad enough, perhaps Capcom will reconsider continuing development for the PS3 and Xbox360.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oogami said:

40K is more reliable because Jonny says so, and he's reliable. :)

cvxfreak

I think RE4 just may not fly with Japanese gamers in general. It's a pseudo-FPS.

It just makes little sense for bh4 to have sold barely half of what bh0 did because of the PS2 port alone. I think the decision to move RE4 away from the horror aspect turned off a lot of Japanese gamers while subsequently turning on a lot of American gamers.

Still, I think the low sales of the PS2 port prove one thing:

THE SHINJI MIKAMI CURSE.

apotema

Both Biohazard 4 and Monster Hunter will do better than expected

BH4 will do better than GC which will prove my theory that says people are idiots, started when Tales of Symphonia got released a year ago

Monster Hunter will be the best selling game for PSP in 2005, which will prove to Capcom that thay must release MH DS

Jonnyram

Oogami said:
Because the person who posted the 40k number has been posting first day figures for a while now - why would he lie? Also the 187k number was posted at 3am on Friday morning. Sales numbers for Thursday aren't even out then.

Oblivion

Juno said:
:lol

Though I don't know what's the funnier comment, that or Capcom going Nintnendo exclusive this generation.

Those PS2 ports did jack shit for Capcom.

Oblivion

Juno said:
OK, someone tell Capcom to f*ck off plans to develop for the PS3. Revolution exclusive from now on!

Don't put words in my mouth, sweetie. I'm just saying that if RE4 for PS2 undersold the GC versions, and having like 5 times the userbase at that, then they should reconsider the implications of putting a game like that on PS3/Xbox. (as in not meeting their goals)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oblivion said:
Don't put words in my mouth, sweetie. I'm just saying that if RE4 for PS2 undersold the GC versions, and having like 5 times the userbase at that, then they should reconsider the implications of putting a game like that on PS3/Xbox. (as in not meeting their goals)
Why would they do that and fuck them-selves over again? If this has taught them anything it's announce a game for a platform and stick with it, announcing the PS2 version of RE4 was a mistake just like porting over VJ & Killer 7 was. If they were to announce a Revolution version after the PS3/X360 version of RE5 came out, do you honestly think it'll sell better on the Revolution?

apotema

Each holiday japanese give us a new present:

2003: Dengeki stopped to put numbers in their charts
2004: Shrine of Data stopped updating regularly
2005: We lose the daily charts???
2006: ????

Other news: My predictions for this week:

Biohazard 4: 285,000
Monster Hunter Portable: 160,000
Slime Mori Mori: 70,000
Animal Crossing: 90,000
Gundam Gachapon Wars: 35,000
Dragon Ball Z2: 45,000
Power Pro Kun 8: 40,000

Your thoughts??

Unison

Games aren't selling on a day-to-day basis any more now that the non-game revolution has begun, so it only made sense to stop the daily game charts. :D

This sucks though, seriously. :-(

Unison said:
This sucks though, seriously. :-(

not as much as Fox

i6vwig.gif

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Oblivion said:
Don't put words in my mouth, sweetie.
Only if you promise not to attempt to be patronising, dewd.
I'm just saying that if RE4 for PS2 undersold the GC versions, and having like 5 times the userbase at that, then they should reconsider the implications of putting a game like that on PS3/Xbox. (as in not meeting their goals)
I don't think one game should be the basis of any crazy decisions like that. I still think a Resident Evil type game is better suited to the audience of a console like the PS3 or X360. Yes, the sales of RE4 are on the PS2 do seem a little flat thus far, but that doesn't change the last 8 years of other games selling that tells me that mature games are better suited for the Playstation audience/generation.

And maybe Capcom themselves should stand back and realise porting their wares all over the place isn't the answer to anything.

Oblivion

Juno said:
Only if you promise not to attempt to be patronising, dewd.

Deal.

I don't think one game should be the basis of any crazy decisions like that. I still think a Resident Evil type game is better suited to the audience of a console like the PS3 or X360. Yes, the sales of RE4 are on the PS2 do seem a little flat thus far, but that doesn't change the last 8 years of other games selling that tells me that mature games are better suited for the Playstation audience/generation.

And maybe Capcom themselves should stand back and realise porting their wares all over the place isn't the answer to anything.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have implied them to be COMPLETELY Revolution exclusive. Just seemed that some franchises did better with the GC's audicence, is all. I agree that they shouldn't completely cut Sony out of the picture. I mean DMC and Onimusha sell great, I think.

But yeah, they need to cut the crap with the last minute ports.

Top Bottom