• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Sales (November 21 - 27)

littlewig

Banned
People seem to be buying more PSP systems than PSP games...

I bet each week, the tie ratio for the PSP grows smaller in Japan. :/

AniHawk

littlewig said:
People seem to be buying more PSP systems than PSP games...

I bet each week, the tie ratio for the PSP grows smaller in Japan. :/

Good thing there's movies and plenty other types of nongames to keep people busy.

GC got a boost.

And bomba can mean alot of things in many languaes.

"That shitz is the bomba fo shizzle!"

Vai tomar uma bomba no seu cu.

Same thing really.

cvxfreak

jamesinclair said:
GC got a boost.

And bomba can mean alot of things in many languaes.

"That shitz is the bomba fo shizzle!"

Vai tomar uma bomba no seu cu.

Same thing really.

GC actually dropped by 500 or so units.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oblivion said:
Wait, I just realized this:

But there were some major sellers on the GBA, from Capcom anyway, this week.
The DS can play GBA games, remember.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
CVXFREAK said:
In Filipino (Tagalog), bomba means naked.
Now that's a meaning I can get behind. :)

The notes for this week.
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 1,444,727 units, 145.29% of last week's total and 188.78% of the weekly average. This is the first time that sales have surpassed 1 million units since Week 3 of September.

Thirty new releases took spots in the top 100. New titles accounted for a high 68.28% of sales and drove the market, with "Animal Crossing: Wild World" (approximately 325,000 units), followed by "NARUTO 4," "Mega Man Battle Network 6: Grega Version" and "Soul Calibur III" each delivering strong sales of over 100,000 units.

With the year-end sales season moving into full swing, movement could also be seen in the hardware market. DS in particular saw remarkable growth with its sales doubling from the previous week. Movement can be expected as the Christmas season approaches. "Satin Silver," a PS2 model which will be offered only this winter, was launched, but partially due to little notification to the general public and demand being mostly replacement demand, weekly sales of "Satin Silver" amounted to only around 11,000 units.
:lol

cvxfreak

:lol :lol :lol :lol

There we have it!

platform this week last week 2005 total 02 – 05 LTD
1 Nintendo DS 132,012 65,341 2,278,500 3,774,087
2 PSP 51,196 58,898 1,654,420 2,136,676
3 PlayStation 2 27,545 21,102 1,659,480 11,064,654
4 Game Boy micro 7,594 9,140 353,924 353,924
5 GameBoy Advance SP 5,709 6,822 608,149 5,603,202
6 GameCube 5,130 5,661 187,400 3,070,540
7 Gameboy Advance 241 249 22,629 4,551,007
8 Xbox 128 141 11,259 471,694

Glass Joe

anyone know the Gamecube LTD in JPN (including 2001 figures)? How much longer before DS overcomes it? I know it's not exactly fair comparing the household market to the portables, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

either way, good week for each portable!

monkeyrun

CVXFREAK said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

There we have it!

4 Game Boy micro 7,594 9,140 353,924 353,924
5 GameBoy Advance SP 5,709 6,822 608,149 5,603,202
6 GameCube 5,130 5,661 187,400 3,070,540
7 Gameboy Advance 241 249 22,629 4,551,007
8 Xbox 128 141 11,259 471,694
is this fucking real ?

Rock_Man

CVXFREAK said:

My numbers:
DS 2,278,491
PSP 1,654,424
PS2 1,659,448

Glass Joe said:
anyone know the Gamecube LTD in JPN (including 2001 figures)? How much longer before DS overcomes it? I know it's not exactly fair comparing the household market to the portables, but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

either way, good week for each portable!

Pretty sure DS already passed gamecube in sales in japan..

LTD

As for psp sales, its mainly high due to holidays coming up along with the giga pack.. i have a feeling after january itll be back down to the normal 30k's with ds around 45k

cvxfreak

Rock_Man said:
My numbers:
DS 2,278,491
PSP 1,654,424
PS2 1,659,448

Seeing as how Fuzzy has the same numbers as you, I've changed them to reflect yours.

I wonder how the discrepency came about though. The numbers look very rounded.

Fuzzy said:
GCN LTD is just over 3.9 million so the DS will pass it in a week or two.

How does this compare to the GBA's first year? It's really impressive (and sad) that the DS is about to "beat" the Gamecube, but is it doing better than the GBA did?

Forgotten Ancient said:
How does this compare to the GBA's first year? It's really impressive (and sad) that the DS is about to "beat" the Gamecube, but is it doing better than the GBA did?

Yeah, GC did pretty badly, Id also like to know how N64 did in Japan?

On the other hand, good old Xbox seems to have sold doubled the launch allocation. Go MS!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Forgotten Ancient said:

I think that it is unofficially besting the GBA's first year, but confirmation would be nice.

Amazing numbers BTW. Bodes well for the Revolution, me thinks.

Fuzzy

Forgotten Ancient said:
The GBA launched March 21st and sold 4.2 million by the end of the year so the DS is significantly behind it. To be fair though we should compare the GBA's first 13 months to the DS's first 13 months since the DS's first Christmas was also it's launch month. I can't help you with that though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fuzzy said:
The GBA launched March 21st and sold 4.2 million by the end of the year so the DS is significantly behind it. To be fair though we should compare the GBA's first 13 months to the DS's first 13 months since the DS's first Christmas was also it's launch month. I can't help you with that though.
Damn if the DS hasn't even been able to do what the GBA did in the same time peroid... how far behind is the PSP? Is it doing similar to how GCN did?

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:

It's not so bad since the DS is considerably more expensive than the GBA was at launch. GBASP is still selling, the PSP is around, and the micro was introduced. Certainly they're selling more handhelds in Japan now than they did then.

Fuzzy

jj984jj said:
Damn if the DS hasn't even been able to do what the GBA did in the same time peroid... how far behind is the PSP? Is it doing similar to how GCN did?
The PSP is doing better than the GCN did. It took the GCN almost 16 months to reach 2 million and the PSP did it in just over 11 months.

cvxfreak

jj984jj said:

There's a little bit of time left to go for the PSP (9 days approximately) but it's definitely at about half the GBA rate or so.

Fuzzy

I just realized that today (December 2nd) is the one year anniversary of the DS in Japan.

Culex

Banned
What a great week for DS sales!

Chart updated again, too. I'm late, as I just had laser eye surgery yesterday.

JPHandHeldWar.jpg

This is the best DS week since last year. PSP sales actually went down, surprisingly.

I love your charts Culex :D

Btw. DS has five weeks left till the end of the year and I think it could you as high as ~4.8-5 million.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Fuzzy said:
GCN LTD is just over 3.9 million so the DS will pass it in a week or two.
I think even with your 2001 numbers for GCN (it seems those numbers are famitsu's not media create) , its install base in Japan is about 4 million now ( 925k + 3,070k )

bud

Teh amazing sales for the DS and still pretty strong sales for the PSP. Any good games/sellers coming out for the PSP in the coming weeks?

AniHawk

Bud said:
Teh amazing sales for the DS and still pretty strong sales for the PSP. Any good games/sellers coming out for the PSP in the coming weeks?

Not until GT4/FFVIICC sometime next year.

Bebpo

Banned
Bud said:

Monster Hunter, Exit, Katamari Damacy, Devil Summoner, Rockman X

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Fuzzy said:
No he's Brasilian and bomba in Portuguese means bomb.

Bomba in portuguese means bomb, but brazilians(not just Reirom) use "bomb" to refference "big news". It's brazilian slang, so you won't find that meaning in any spanish dictionary.

sasimirobot

"‘sailing in the heavens’ if it [Nintendo DS] was a success or ‘sinking in hell’ if it fails"

- Yamauchi-san

This quote was so Epic at the pre-release and now it all comes together. Yamauichi is just a straight pimp baller.

P90

sasimirobot said:
"‘sailing in the heavens’ if it [Nintendo DS] was a success or ‘sinking in hell’ if it fails"

- Yamauchi-san

This quote was so Epic at the pre-release and now it all comes together. Yamauichi is just a straight pimp baller.

Wasn't the DS the last hardware project Yamauchi did before Iwata took over?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't think you could exactly say that was "doing" the project. The DS is far more Iwata's success story than Yamauchi's. Unless you believe the two screens is what is driving DS sales.

Izzy

Banned
Bud said:

Metal Gear Acid 2, Monster Hunter, Daisenryaku Portable, Exit, Katamari Damacy, Devil Summoner, Rockman X, Geki Sengoku Musou...

Top Bottom