• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you listening to? August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

MLIjom8.jpg

Daughter - If You Leave

Some fantastic songs on this debut album. Smother in particular is wonderful, Check out the gorgeous live performance here.

HiResDes

Hey guys, if you're into rock I really want to get everyone together to make a competent general Rock thread to catch all of the band don't quite fit into Metal or Punk, I'm pretty up on new releases so I'd like to contribute a notable release list, but frankly I'm not as skilled at making nice looking OPs fit with banners and graphics so if anyone would like to make the thread or help make the thread let me know please : )

P.S. If we could get a few people to contribute notable release lists that would be even better. Basically just top tens so far coupled with brief genre descriptions and youtube links.

Hey guys, if you're into rock I really want to get everyone together to make a competent general Rock thread to catch all of the band don't quite fit into Metal or Punk, I'm pretty up on new releases so I'd like to contribute a notable release list, but frankly I'm not as skilled at making nice looking OPs fit with banners and graphics so if anyone would like to make the thread or help make the thread let me know please : )

P.S. If we could get a few people to contribute notable release lists that would be even better. Basically just top tens so far coupled with brief genre descriptions and youtube links.

we need an "indie" thread rather than a "rock" thread

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Natural Snow Buildings - Waves Of The Random Sea
Näo - Nao
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Cloetta Paris - Secret Eyes

I've been digging this new LP. I did not expect to like it this much.Indeed, it's not your typical shoegaze record, at all.
In fact, it's really an uplifting summery record.

Eric Copeland's record is bonkers.

As of right now I'm listening to King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon

May end up being my favorite album of the year. Stream on P4K for anyone interested.

nsQWasP.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dead in the Dirt - The Blind Hole
Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
Bosnian Rainbows - s/t
Disclosure - Settle
Whirr - Around

Aegus

e51ca272.jpeg

Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe

This album is absolutely gorgeous. Like seriously one of the most haunting albums I've ever listened to.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Some bands I've seen at Pukkelpop that had awesome or remarkable gigs (didn't know where else to post this):

- Godspeed: first time seeing them. Didn't disappoint. In fact, it was one of the best gigs of the festival for me. I was completely out of it
- Savages: dear lord, what a gig. Pure, raw energy and intensity, with the most amazing bass lines. Their album is one of this year's best, but live they're even better. Gig of the festival for me.
- The Knife Shaking The Habitual show: not the one to dance, but I don't think it's possible to stand still during this.
- The xx: closing final day on main stage, so a big turnout was expected, but you wouldn't believe the crowd for this gig. I was amazed. Romy and Oliver were impressed as well. Oliver was moved and Romy got a birthday song from the crowd.
It's sureal to see them playing for an audience this big (so fast!). Savages was my personal favorite of this festival, but the xx was probably the most important show.
- Opeth: Didn''t know their catalog and was surprised by the variety. Show won the award for most awesome frontman banter:
* 'Hello Holland!'
(crowd boos, this is Belgium)
'Drop dead'
* 'Next, we're going to play Queensryche's entire discography. Unfortunately, we forgot our shoulderpads
* 'I was looking at the line-up of bands today and I didn't know any of them. Except Franz Ferdinand. We got drunk with them once, nice guys'

More good gigs: Gojira, Killswitch Engage, Chvrches, The Soft Moon & Deftones.
Disappointment of the festival was NiN

And ever since Chvrches' Recover is stuck in my head, great song. Looking forward to the album.

- Savages: dear lord, what a gig. Pure, raw energy and intensity, with the most amazing bass lines. Their album is one of this year's best, but live they're even better. Gig of the festival for me.

Love them! Saw them at Pitchfork and they were great. Seeing them again in September. So intense!

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Team Sleep - Team Sleep

Kyle - Beautiful Loser

Explosions in the sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

Air Tycoon - Fuck everything I'm god

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

Although i've been completely underwhelmed by it. I still listen to it at work, while studying, or while playing games. It seems to fit very well.

MLIjom8.jpg

Daughter - If You Leave

Some fantastic songs on this debut album. Smother in particular is wonderful, Check out the gorgeous live performance here.

I don't like but bits and pieces of this album, but I'm still going to see them play at the playhouse next month. Sometimes things just work better live for me.

*cross post from popgaf

Moko - Hand On Heart (musically similar to Shara Nelson's songs on Massive Attack's Blue Lines):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8aS4Hhz0Po

Bloom Twins - Fahrenheit (Ukrainian twin sisters fashion models who sing on the side. Sounds like it was an outtake from David Lynch's Twin Peaks):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfqI6yDF0M

Anna von Hausswolff - Mountains Crave (Haunting Swedish singer, sort like Kate Bush meets Dead Can Dance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QbP--RsNj70

Alexandra Stan - All My People (Cheesy Eurodance with a great chorus and a scantily clad lady)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSVSz60Lac

CPNHGN - When Nobody's Talking (Dinosaur Jr with a hint of Sonic Youth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6LnhTcmgE

The new Chase & Status single has been on a loop recently

Chase & Status - Count On Me (Ft. Moko)

This 90s dance reassurance is so refreshing, speaking of which....

Majestic & Jungle 70 - Creeping in the Dark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtwvTIdylA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom