• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you listening to? August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

1376595412-earl-sweatshirt-doris.jpg
Earl Sweatshirt- Doris
Actress- R.I.P.
Death From Above 1979- You're A Woman, I'm a Machine

A lot of those 3 albums in the past few days. Also listening to Trap Lord quite a bit.

Pretty disappointed in the new Washed Out on first listen. I have King Krule too, listening to that soon.

Loomer

46407197.jpg
31FV7GVJQFL.jpg
thatdog.jpeg

WONDERE05__62191.1306311710.300.400.jpg
e30134zhvt1.jpg
rsz_429xggsfj.jpg

Electro-Z - Electro-Z
Dear Nora - We'll Have Time
that dog. - Retreat From the Sun
Emmon - The Art & the Evil
Holiday - Cafe Reggio
Vomit Launch - Exiled Sandwich

Pulka

The Smiths - The Smiths
IY2Lp3h.jpg

Morrissey - Vauxhall And I
GZ1VHXW.jpg

I've been listening to a fuckload of The Smiths and Morrissey lately, school started and I feel like shit.
And some Håkan Hellström, but I listen to that guy non-stop.

burgervan

The Washed Out album kinda sucks.

I am becoming so sick of dreamy vocals.

Welcome to the club. A lot of indie bands seem to think that, with enough reverb, they can mask their shitty songwriting. Not that Washed Out is shitty.

Anyway, a lot of great songs being released lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ARKA_sJg4
Cults - I Can Hardly Make You Mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUMd9O-k3w
Parquet Courts - You've Got Me Wonderin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XmoroZ3zo
The Preatures - Is This How You Feel?

K.Sabot

That new Juliana Barwick album was an absolute snoozer.

I've heard sons slowed down 800% that sounded more interesting.

On the bright side, the new Julia Holter album is brilliant.

That new Juliana Barwick album was an absolute snoozer.

I've heard sons slowed down 800% that sounded more interesting.

the album is supposed to be soothing. A muscle relaxation of sorts. It's titled Nepenthe for a reason, and it's very interesting & complex if you *gasp* listen hard enough.

Jitters

Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle's Perils from the Sea is being over looked.

You can listen as hard as u want, K.Sabot. U won't find anything. Grouper all over again.

E: I feel I should say that I don't mind the album. Despite what I just said. lol

K.Sabot

the album is supposed to be soothing. A muscle relaxation of sorts. It's titled Nepenthe for a reason, and it's very interesting & complex if you *gasp* listen hard enough.

There are many other albums that have done the same thing and managed to sound interesting.

Even Barwick's previous LP had more interesting songs (Prizewinning and the latter half of The Magic Place). And If I don't happen to like an LP, I guarantee it's not for lack of trying.

Still listening to the superior Julia related album of the month August 2013: Julia Holter - Loud City Song. Which is just astounding.

CS501461-01A-BIG-620x620.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wow, after one listen, this song has blown me away. Big, airy-sounding dream pop with female vocals.

HAERTS - "All the Days"

Somehow this only has 50,000 views in two months, but this band is gonna be huge. Debut EP is out next month.

overcast

My thing with King Krule is how same-y all the tracks are. Kinda boring.
Yeah, I can see that. It's all very affecting to me given his vocals and the lyrics. Plus there is the occasional song that sounds different enough. Lizard State kicks in so strong compared to the rest. It might be 1 or 2 songs too long, but I don't know what I would cut.

Great album.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haerts is indeed amazing. Ever since a friend linked me Wings, I've been in love with them. That song is phenomenal.

EP next month huh? Finally.

Jay Sosa

That new Mayer.

First I was..but then I was..

Might become one of my favorite records by him. Lyrically not as great as some of his other efforts but very consistent which I really appreciate in an album.

Katy Perry is trying a bit too hard on their duet (song is great though) and it's a shame that the Frank Ocean track is sooo short..and a bit out of place.

But besides that I like it more with every listen.

Also still listen to Acid Rap almost every day (Cocoa Butter Kisses might be my favorite track this year)

There are many other albums that have done the same thing and managed to sound interesting.

Even Barwick's previous LP had more interesting songs (Prizewinning and the latter half of The Magic Place). And If I don't happen to like an LP, I guarantee it's not for lack of trying.

Well yeah, there are thousands and thousands of albums that can achieve the same effect, but for me it's in the way that she reaches said effect. Can't think of many modern gregorian / kyrie eleison inspired albums that summon vox loops over and over again. I just can't imagine finding parts of the magic place interesting (especially songs like prizewinning in which she rises and falls over a drum track. I love the song, but it's definitely basic as far as songwriting goes. Unless you define "interesting" as a simple movement, because yes that's one of her only songs that carries a pulse) and failing to notice the intricacies of her new album. She's pushed her songwriting to a new level, and sonically it's in another realm because she's in a professional studio with a guy who knows what he's doing

Reckoner

Yeah, I can see that. It's all very affecting to me given his vocals and the lyrics. Plus there is the occasional song that sounds different enough. Lizard State kicks in so strong compared to the rest. It might be 1 or 2 songs too long, but I don't know what I would cut.

Great album.

Lizard State so far is my favorite. It has a London vibe that stands out.

abunai

untitled-1.fwkus55.png

Been revisting a few older albums from 2013 in August a fair amount. Still good stuff.

A) Washed Out - Paracosm. I seem to be enamored with anything that Earnest Greene creates, this is no exception.
B) Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus 7. OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS GOOD. If you like experimental electronic music or any of the previous albums, go listen now!
C) Forest Swords - Engravings. Slightly let down by this compared to the EP, but that's because of my absurdly high expectations. It's a fantastic album, it just didn't catch me off guard as much as his previous works.
D) oOoOO - Without Your Love. SpooOoOOky beatz. One of my favourite albums of the year so far.

E) Shigeto - No Better Time Than Now. Pretty standard shigeto beats but really enjoyable nonetheless.
F) Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nanda Collection. Jpop. Catchy as fuck.
G) John Lemke - Traveller. Ambient beats, great atmosphere. Awesome study/relaxing music.
H) Àrsaidh - Roots. Some atmospheric black metal. Strongly reminds me of Cormorant and Wolves in the Throne Room in places. Really great riffs, not so hot on the wind instruments but it's enjoyable regardless.

I) Mastodon - Remission. Been looking forward to news of a new Mastodon album, for some reason I always hope they'll write something as crushing as Remission or Call of the Mastodon and I let myself get disappointed every time. Their new stuff is a good listen, but it's not the reason I fell in love with Mastodon.
J) Aosoth - IV Arrow In Heart. Been coming back to this all year. Probably will end up being my favourite metal release of 2013.
K) Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty. A slightly more accessible sound on this album, but just as awesome as it's predecessor. Eerie pop? I can't think how to accurately describe it.
L) Dean Blunt - The Redeemer. Sort of rnb? Reminds me of TV On the Radio as well, so.. yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom