• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your mobile phone history like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony Ericsson W800 to Samsung Galaxy S4.

It was one hell of a leap. Probably going to switch to the iPhone 6 since I dislike the S4. Only got it out of necessity.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got my first cell phone in 2002. Was a silver Samsung Flip phone. I think after that I had some LG flip phone, then a Motorola Razor (or Krazor), then an LG Voyager.

Then I got my first smartphone in 2011, an iPhone 4s. And now have an iPhone 5s.

I mostly upgrade every 2 years when I can get the discount, but have kept a few of the older phones for 3-4 years while in grad school etc.

butalala

This is a fun game.

My first phone was a Nokia like this one:
79.jpg
Pretty typical first phone for 2003

I got a Razr in 2005 or 2006

In 2008 I got my first smartphone, a Blackberry Pearl
I could type like the wind on this thing.

In 2008 I also got my first real job and felt like I had money to burn, so I upgraded to this beautiful phone, a Blackberry Curve 8900

I used that until I spilled some water on it and it started to get a little wonky. So in 2010 I got my first Android phone, the amazing T-Mobile G2
also known as HTC Dream, I think

When the microphone broke on that phone, I managed to get t-mo to give me a Nexus 4, gratis.
I'm still using the N4, though it's developed some touchscreen issues.

My favorites were probably the G2, the 8900 and the Razr. I'm a bit old school and long for the days of full keyboards.

Pickman

Started with a Nokia 3310. I used the ringtone composer to make Indiana Jones theme my ringer. Was mad chic.

Got a Verizon plan and went with an lg-vx7000. It was one of the first camera phones with an amazing 1.3 megapixel camera. It also had a rotating camera so you could take selfies, but you had to hold the handset upside down to do it right.

Lg-vx8300. Great little clamshell phone with a decent camera and great battery life, plus two speakers!

BlackBerry curve. Meh.

BlackBerry Bold. Meh.

Motorola Droid a855. The first Android phone on Verizon and a decent device. 3mp camera, good battery life.

Motorola Droid 2 r2d2 edition. Upgraded and had a star wars themed body and os.

Motorola Droid X. Decent, faster processor.

HTC Incredible. Garbage.

HTC something I can't remember. Had an extra battery pack for it. Still died quickly.

Motorola RazrMaxx. Great battery. Lasted me 3 years. Loved that phone.

Samsung Galaxy note 3. Love it more. Great camera and fits my big hands better. All other phones feel dinky and inferior now.

First phone was a Kyocera something or other in 2001. I lost it and ended up upgrading to the LG VX series.

I went through a few LG VX models including the Chocolate until I switched to a BlackBerry 8800 (that had NO MMS...) in 2008, then the shitty touchscreen Storm, then the much better Curve.

Then iPhone 4 released in 2010 and I've been on that, the 4S, and 5C since.

nillapuddin

Im 23 y/o for reference, iirc I got my first phone in 6-7th grade
so..

Nokia 6610 - 2004: Just to make calls and talk to friends
Sanyo 7400 - 2005: Excitement over taking pictures!
Samsung Rant - 2007: Texting, ironically though I used T9 on the faceplate way more than ever used the keyboard
Galaxy Nexus - 2011: Needed GPS because I was in college and got a job delievering pizzas
Nokia 1020 - 2014: Cracked my Nexus, loved WP from a distance but wanted in, left Sprint for AT&T. OMG DAT CAMERA

2qVDzgb.png

Worlds Most Personal Smartphone = Best Smartphone

edit:
so happy to see the Nokia 6610 around so much, loved that thing!

for those of you with a full iOS lineage, what would it take to change?
Does it even matter what the next iPhone iteration is like for you?

I remember back in the day when "polyphonic" ringtones = baller

haha! indeed! :D i probably spent days searching for the best tones and operator logo replacements.

and looking through all the lists here i again wish someone could make a fully supported Qwerty phone. Motorola Milestone/Droid were the best.

I don't understand how you can get around in this day and age without one.

I got my first in 2002. It had a screen on the front , one day I left it in the car and the display burnt out. After that it was flip phones until I got my first iphone in 09.

As easily as people got around in all the many years before cellphones...

OT:
nokia 3310

some sony ericsson piece of shit with a plug in camera attachment (lol)
sonyericsson_t300.jpg

this thing was awful and slow and the battery didn't last long

samsung z500
saz500_00.jpg

this thing was amazing and it lasted me for over 7 years I think
Excellent build quality (survived countless drops with no damage), great battery life, responsive ui, convenient external screen that showed the time/caller ID/incoming texts etc

samsung rex 70
some cheap touchscreen phone I bought recently when my other phone broke
feels cheap build quality wise but at least the UI is fast
Battery life started out impressive (2+ weeks standby) but now it's already down to like 10 days somehow after a few months
No idea if I'll regret buying this thing, I haven't dropped it yet

Davey Cakes

2005, Motorola V330 (I believe):

Never had to replace it in five years. Prepaid with T-Mobile. Everybody else seemed to buy the Razr during those years but I hated that phone and thought it felt really cheap and breakable.

2010, iPhone 4:

2012, iPhone 5:

I've been on contract since 2010 so I upgrade the phone ever two years. Will be getting iPhone 6 this year.

Amory

I don't even remember the phone models I had in the pre-smartphone days. They all kind of look the same to me.

My first smartphone was the iPhone 3G, then the iPhone 4

After that I had a Windows phone, the Nokia Lumia 900. Loved the OS, hated that WP8 came out like 6 months later and I was stuck on 7. Hated the lack of apps.

I impulse bought an iPhone 5c with part of my bonus check last year. Felt good to be back in the iOS ecosystem, but it got boring rather quick.

Now I have the LG G3, which is a sexy beast of a phone that I plan on keeping for the foreseeable future. Love it.

I still don't have a smart phone, intentionally. I just use a prepaid phone and an iPod. No point in paying that data plan money when I can just use my prepaid phone for texting/calling and my iPod for all the 'smartphone' stuff. It also helps that I'm usually near a wifi hotspot most of the time.

DJ_Lae

I put off getting a cellphone for quite a while, and a smartphone for a bit too, so my history of phones is only four deep and includes three Nokias:

i9emaBjkCzRhz.jpg

I've already forgotten the model numbers of the first two (they were cheap prepaid things), then I went a 710 and finally upgraded to a Nexus.

I miss a couple of aspects of Windows Phone but not that many.

And my wife has had every new numbered model of the iPhone for me to mess around with.

Don't remember my first one, but after that it goes like this:

Samsung D806

mobile-phone_SGH-d806_features_kv.jpg

Sony Ericsson w810i

sony-ericsson-w810i.jpg

Sony Ericsson k810i

5736-K810ifrontNobleBlua.jpg

And then a bunch of iPhones for a few years (3, 4, 4s)

Lumia 920

B00A2V7BA4.main.jpg

Xperia Z (my current phone)

XperiaZ-HandsOn-02-580-90.JPG

Mupod

I've only ever owned 3 phones. 1 was some ancient indestructible Nokia I used from 2002-2009 and would have kept using if my sister hadn't got me one of these for christmas. Always used prepaid, since I only used it occasionally.

Didn't get a smartphone until 3 months ago, when I moved to toronto and no longer had a home phone. It's a galaxy note 2 I think. Was my friend's old phone, screen is cracked because he ran it over with his truck but it works great.

Pifje

Nokia 5110 (well, who didn't own one back then)
Nokia 3310 (well, who didn't own one back then)
Nokia N-Gage (well, who really did own one back then?)
Nokia N80 (I should just have waited for an iPhone instead of this expensive brick)
HTC Desire (I don't really know why I gave it away so quickly)

And current: Samsung Galaxy Note II

Next one: Probably an iPhone 6 or an HTC One M9. I like solid build quality. Which Note II certainly does not have.

First phone was a Sanyo:
Still have the phone, thing is unbreakable.

Then moved to a Blackberry Storm when that came out. Still have that also.

Now I'm on a Droid X 1st Gen. It still works well enough, but it's starting to slow down. I don't want to upgrade though, because I'll lose my Verizon unlimited data plan.

Herr K

Banned
- Almost unbranded phone. I think the code was TSM-2 or something
- Nokia 3200
- Nokia 5300
- Nokia 5320
- Nokia 5800 NE
- Xperia Mini Pro sk17
- Nokia Lumia 620

I like Nokia.

All on Sprint...

Sanyo Katana
sanyo_katana.gif

Blackberry Curve 8300 (I absolutely loved this phone, still get nostalgic for it sometimes)
sprint8330curve.png

HTC Evo Shift (couldn't ditch a keyboard completely, solid phone)
htc_evo_shift_4g_big.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S3 (huge upgrade; I put my car into a ditch and lost it in the snow while digging out, found it months later smashed to pieces in the ditch)
Samsung_Galaxy_S3_539485_i0.jpg

Nexus 5 (favorite smartphone to date)
Nexus_5_(1).jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still don't have a smart phone, intentionally. I just use a prepaid phone and an iPod. No point in paying that data plan money when I can just use my prepaid phone for texting/calling and my iPod for all the 'smartphone' stuff. It also helps that I'm usually near a wifi hotspot most of the time.
I found the smartphone apps can add some useful aspects to the basic phone functions like profile settings (ringtone volume etc) based on the day and time, repeated text alerts, calendar sync. You don't need a data plan to take advantage of it.

Nokia 3310
Random brand flip phone (predates smartphones)
LG flip phone (predates smartphones)
LG flip phone (worse than the last one)
Sony Cedar Feature Phone - a little better than the flip phones, but still awful, not a smart phone by any means, but I could get Facebook on it
Sony Xperia Z - a fully functional modern and powerful smartphone

Linkyn

A string of phones I get for 25 quid with 20 worth of credit on them and I lose within the following few months.

Out of curiosity, what is your phone history like? Make a picture or just a list and tell us about it if there's some big decisions :D How often do people change phones? Form or Functionality?
Late 90's - Kyocera QCP-2035a
2004-5ish - some random LG flip phone (VX6100?)
2008 - Palm Treo 755p
2011 - Apple iPhone 4S

I change phones pretty infrequently, I don't really demand too much from them and try to take care of my gear. I'll probably end up getting the new iPhone later this year but only because my wife wants to change providers (and her iPhone 4 is getting dated.) I would normally go another year or so before upgrading.

I have a friend that changes phones every 2-3 months and I just don't understand why anyone would want to spend so much time researching the options like he does, getting the devices, disposing of the old ones, and setting up the new ones. Just give me phone service, text, email, web, books, and a few games and I'm good. This is so much a solved problem and a stable technology that tech lust just seems unnecessary.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Kyocera Virgin Mobile phone
Att Motorola flip phone
Sony W1800 (cool phone, miss it)
IPhone
IPhone 3g
IPhone 3gs
IPhone 3gs again
IPhone 4
Nokia Lumia 925 (current, love it, wish all apps were available)

kudoboi

Nokia 3310

to Nokia 1100i

to Sony Ericsson W610i

to Samsung T919

to Motorola Milestone XT720

to iPhone 4

to Samsung Galaxy Nexus

to HTC One X

to Samsung Galaxy S4

to HTC One M7

to Sony Xperia Z2

to Samsung Galaxy S5

I Used galaxy nexus and iPhone 4 and HTC One X, Galaxy S4 and HTC One M7, Xperia Z2 and Galaxy S5 at the same time

GulAtiCa

Before my first smartphone, I barely remember. Think I had 3.

So... at 16 decent mobile phone (this be like 2003)
Good mobile phone with nice app selection (Buffy game ftw)
Bare bones mobile phone with no app market sadly.

Then in 2009 or 2010 got my first Android Droid. Lasted 2 years before I upgraded. But boy while cool at first, at time became so slow and sometimes keyboard did nothing.
2 and half years ago got Droid Razr, very cool and looked awesome. But very crappy battery, even when I got it. It's very slow now. Browsers barely work now.

It's time for me to upgrade again. Prob going to go for something with good battery

Started with my father's iPhone 4 back in 2010 or so. I was a hipster back then, so I had to use different stuff other than that mainstream crap. Searching, I found the holy grail of smartphones: Lumia 800.

Used it for a while and got pretty invested in the Windows Phone ecosystem, but one day, I dropped it, screen shattered and had to find a cheap replacement. So I used a Galaxy SII X I found for $100, since it had many apps, ability to access an SD card and was pretty good-looking. Though, rooting it caused some problems and it kept restarting again and again, so the phone was rendered useless. I came back to WP, this time with the Lumia 520. Cheap, convenient and had WP 8.1. Pretty darn cool.

Wiz

2009-2010: Crappy Kyocera Metro PCS phone. Got it in HS.

2010-2011: Terrible flip phone. Don't even remember the name.

2011-2012: Blackberry Curve. Don't remember the model number but it was an older one. Still on Metro PCS. Terrible.

2012 - 2014: iPhone 5. First fully featured smartphone I've owned and loving it. Will be upgrading to the iphone 6 next month.

Mii

Banned
Sony Ericsson (no idea what model)

Moto Razr

iPhone 3G

iPhone 4

iPhone 5

Next will be an iPhone 6, probably the 4.7" model

Porcile

I've never bought a mobile phone in my life. I've always got the hand me downs. Right now, I''ve got an Iphone 4 something.

Damaniel

Banned
I actually managed to remember all of my phones! Now with pictures!

(2001) My first mobile was the Nokia 5110 (or one of its variants; it could have been the 5190).

(2003) I replaced it with a Sony Ericsson T68i. I even bought the (then-optional) camera add-on for it -- this snapped to the bottom of the phone, and was a mere 0.25 megapixels. (Of course, this was well over 10 years ago...)

(2005) Eventually, I got rid of the T68i and replaced it with a Nokia N-Gage QD. I kept this for far longer than is reasonable, and probably owned over 30 games for it by the time I stopped using it.

(2007) After the N-Gage, I got my first 'smartphone'. This was still pre-iOS and Android days, which meant all the devices were either Symbian, Windows Mobile or Blackberry (all of which weren't particularly 'smart' by modern standards). My phone of choice was the Blackberry Curve 8310. By the standards of the day it was pretty decent, but modern smartphones are much, much better.

(2009) My next phone was my first dabbling into modern smartphones, though it was a pretty poor introduction. I bought the Motorola Cliq. If you don't know much about it, it was an Android phone developed around 'social' applications. It also never got an official upgrade beyond Android 2.0 in any reasonable timeframe, and the underpowered hardware meant that the phone was always running at a crawl.

(2010) Before my contract even ended, I replaced it with a first gen iPhone that a coworker gave me. I was using it in an unsupported manner on T-Mobile (it was originally an AT&T device), but it worked way better than the Cliq did.

(2010) My next phone was the Samsung Galaxy S (in the T-Mobile variant, the Vibrant). This was the first mobile phone I actually loved, rather than tolerated. I'm still mighty fond of it, even today.

(2011) The Galaxy S was replaced with a HTC Rezound, which I picked up when I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon. It was big, bulky and hard to root (and my first one got run through the washing machine(!)), but it wasn't the worst phone ever.

(2013) Finally, I swapped the Rezound with my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4. Much like the original Galaxy S I had, I like this phone quite a bit. I was able to root it, which gave it the flexibility of my previous two phones, but (of course) it has a lot more power under the hood.

Had something very similar to this on #4

1. Old Motorolla candybar Phone that I used to share with my dad
2. Old LG candybar phone that I used to share with my dad
3. No phone throughout most of college
4. Some Samsung Flip phone
5. LG enV2 flip keyboard phone
6. Motorolla OG Droid 1
7. Samsung Droid Charge (the worst phone purchase I've made ever, I blame The Verge/Engadget for their praise of what was a horrible phone)
8. iPhone 5
9. My next phone will either be the iPhone 6 or back to Android

My GF is 5 years younger than me, and she's always shocked when I tell her how me and my dad shared a cell phone when I was a senior in HS and through the first year or two of college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom