• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your most memorable Final Fantasy moment? [Spoilers, kupo.]

Saw a thread like this in the FFRK reddit and figured it'd be a great thread for GAF. So, what is your most memorable Final Fantasy moment?

FFVIII - This would be a three way tie.

1. Rinoa in space

00142.jpg

2. Rinoa resurrecting Squall

tumblr_mq3259qGfW1rojqd9o1_500.gif

3. The final shot of the credits: I couldn't find a picture, but I love that final shot of Rinoa on the balcony talking to Squall off-camera and pointing up.

FFX-2 - As badly as all of GAF hates him:

tumblr_nys3777tdh1v0vzyoo1_500.gif

I can't even look at this gif without getting teary eyed. Yuna accomplished what she set out to do - just imagining how happy she is in that moment makes my heart flutter. And when she comes full circle and ends the game with "It all started when I saw this sphere of you.." RIP tbqh!

Lightning Returns - The FFXIII montage

UASb7bL.png

This moment during the final FMV, where the music swells and you watch a quick montage of the FFXIII trilogy, ending with Lightning crying. This is also my #1 best musical moment of the entries franchise.

Arriving at the Gold Saucer in VII. That music is forever burned into my head.

Celes' song at the opera in VI.

Shadow's end scene during the finale of VI.

Caius losing his shit at the end of XIII-2 and shouting how each Yeul was unique.

Whew, so many. If I had to pick an absolute favorite, it's probably Zidane pulling off the surprise reveal at the end of FFIX. So romantic ;_;

studyguy

First run to Jeuno in FFXI
Fuck all your other shit, this was a literal adventure with everything and every person's is different but seemingly everyone remembers their first run to Jeuno since it's fraught with so much danger.

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

Roxas

Rinoa in space was awful. It went on forever and ever. The part after he rescues her on the Ragnarok and the propagators was pretty cool I guess.

Rymuth

latest

Tifa's running downstairs
Where's Cloud??
Cut to FMV
Music starts
Sound of motorcycle revving.

My younger self couldn't handle it. Just all around cool and badass. What an exciting sequence.

antitrop

Midgard Zolom FF7. Just a haunting image to this day.

The way they build up Sephiroth around the 5-10 hour mark is great. First you see him murder President Shinra, then he takes on a Dragon like it's nothing in Cloud's flashback sequence in Kalm, then you Chocobo past the Zolom only to see Sephiroth handle one like this...

z2NOSqm.jpg

Cikay

The joy I felt during FFXIII credits, because I was finally done with this boring and disappointing game.

Garlador

FFIX's ending rocked my emotions.

Also...
Kefka destroys the world - What, we LOST?!
Cecil becomes a Paladin - Whoa!
FFVIII's opening - Wow, this is so epic! No way this fight is just a school yard training exercise!
FF7 - Final fight against Sephiroth... Omnislash.
The underwater kiss in FFX hits my romantic side hard... and then the ending shatters me.
FFXIII - the credits. Thank God.

Sitting with Prishe after the end of CoP.

Celes throwing herself off the cliff, Locke resurrecting the love of his life for only a few moments, Shadow' end. scene. Galuf's death scene.

Pilgrimzero

Cecil becoming a paladin.

Rubicante fight.

Golbez is a brother.

The Giant of Babel.

Hell everything about 4. The best FF period.

Clegg

Boarding the SS Liki in FFX and Movement in Green starts playing for the first time.

It isn't a memorable moment in terms of gameplay or plot. The incredible soundtrack is what makes it memorable.

The ending of Final Fantasy X when Tidus finds out he is a dream and that heartbreaking moment with Yuna. So cute but sad. Definitely a very powerful moment in gaming.

Class change in FFI, for sure.

Going to the moon in FFIV.

Basically the entire floating continent sequence and immediate aftermath in VI.

Aerith's death in VII.

VIII had a bunch for me. The end of disc 1, Rinoa in space, and the ending for sure.

IX...can I count every FMV involving the summons? If I had to pick a single one, it'd be Atomos.

X and X-2 don't have any big ones for me.

XII...this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG-e95Ot7w is probably my favorite in the whole series.

XIII: the insane FMV sequence with the summons breaking back into Cocoon.

antitrop

Cid is my favorite character in Final Fantasy VII and one of my favorite moments in the game has always been when he's finally able to achieve his dream of reaching into space.

S9RgxFj.jpg

ceJdlAL.jpg

Flarin

In Final Fantasy Tactics when Ramza and Alma ride into the sunset on Chocobos. The music, the shock,
the hope of a sequel?
just...everything. So good.

In Final Fantasy IX when Vivi gets pissed and attacks Black Waltz. Such a powerful moment.

Mcdohl

First run to Jeuno in FFXI
Fuck all your other shit, this was a literal adventure with everything and every person's is different but seemingly everyone remembers their first run to Jeuno since it's fraught with so much danger.

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

Truth. I had a similar experience, but journeyed from Bastok.

That game really nailed the adventure feeling.

XIV, while a great game on its own merits, doesn't do as good job as XI in this regard.

Heavensward did a better job than ARR though.

I guess HD costs are too high to make so many areas :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kefka killing Emperor Geshtal, becoming God and shattering the world.

That shit blew my mind.

EDIT: In FF6.

The ending of FF VIII is awesome.

The psychedelic and extreme conditions of the areas they show is really cool.

Then showing all the important characters and where they are, Seifer looking up at Garden and smiling.

Closed the game so well.

DJIzana

Seeing Argus kill Tietra (being remade via cutscenes especially in FFT / War of the Lions).

And probably seeing Besaid Island for the first time in FFX (I'm a sucker for tropical areas in JRPG's especially ones with good music) or seeing the Gold Saucer in FFVII for the first time.

Edit: I'd add seeing Rabanastre for the first time too. That definitely was something amazing. Ugh... I miss Ivalice... really want a remaster of XII! :(

Cecil becoming a paladin.

Rubicante fight.

Golbez is a brother.

The Giant of Babel.

Hell everything about 4. The best FF period.

Let's be friends.

My list:

1) Cecil becoming a Paladin - They were expressing that you need to stand against darkness, not fight it.

2) Tellah solo-ing Golbez so hard that he dies.

2) Celes attempting suicide.

3) Gau's father.

4) Rachel dying.

5) Cyan accepting the loss of his family.

6) If Final Fantasy Adventure counts, there are too many to list. God, that ending.

Edit: Seeing that FFT is part of it, I'll add the FFT killing of the brothers. Ramza had to deal with some SHIT in that game, and, through the course of it, ended up as one of the noblest characters in all of FF.

Pejo

Gold Member
Cecil transformation into Paladin from IV. Blew my little kid mind. Not to mention he was the worst character on the way up the mountain, and tearing the enemies apart at level 1 on the way down.

FFVI, Kefka
destroying the world
... and when Celes
attempts suicide
. Fucking nuts that a SNES game tackled this kind of issue.

That's a helluva one-two punch in the span of an hour.

yunbuns

I have mixed feelings on VII as whole but I love the motorcycle scene so much. It's the coolest shit to me and I'm so looking forward to it in the remake.

FFVIII's opening/ending. FFVIII has the best FF opening imo. Also Liberi Fatali.

I also watched my brother play this game so many times that the entire ending sequence is pretty much engraved in my brain.

Garnet cutting her hair. I remember my mom was on the phone iirc while I was playing and stopped talking and was like 'Why did she cut her hair???'.

Kuja destroying Terra. I loved that scene.

"Bring my beloved Dagger to me!"

Yuna sending the dead in X.

Shuyin and Yuna in the Farplane in X-2. I know a lot of people hate X-2 but it's my favorite game in the series (next to IX) and it does have a lot of flaws but this scene is probably one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise. I just...love everything that happens here. The voice acting, the small details in both character's body language, and the music. As much as love this game, I wish it had more scenes that had the tone and tension this scene had.

diaspora

FFVI, Kefka
destroying the world
... and when Celes
attempts suicide
. Fucking nuts that a SNES game tackled this kind of issue.

That's a helluva one-two punch in the span of an hour.

There aren't many games (or any in FF) that hit as hard as 6.

Top Bottom