• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your most memorable Final Fantasy moment? [Spoilers, kupo.]

Mar Nosso

Banned
FFX-2 doesn't exist. That lovers reunion is all in your head.

As it happens, my favourite FF moment is the sending of Tidus and the bittersweet moment when he runs to Yuna and they embrace but can't feel each other at the end of FFX. And that's alright. Endings don't always have to be happy. Life surely isn't. Love and heartbreak have hardly before been so beautifully rendered in a videogame. Hence why I can't let a shitty, flashy sequel ruin that. Ever.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbEan62z8RA

"~~Godbert the Goldsmith's a Manderville man, Smithing as only a Manderville can,
Oil him up and give him a tan,
Fit for a Mander-Manderville man!~~"

Also, Hildibrand's fantastic facial expressions.

10632151_158678097851204_787386415_n.jpg

Bigrx1

Banned
Easy for me - adult Rydia returning to save the party in Final Fantasy iv. I was probably 12 playing through as Final Fantasy II on the SNES and it was my first real rpg. Will never forget that moment, thought it was the coolest thing ever and I was so excited lol

As it happens, my favourite FF moment is the sending of Tidus and the bittersweet moment when he runs to Yuna and they embrace but can't feel each other at the end of FFX. And that's alright. Endings don't always have to be happy. Life surely isn't. Love and heartbreak have hardly before been so beautifully rendered in a videogame. Hence why I can't let a shitty, flashy sequel ruin that. Ever.

Who hurt you?

Death of Aeris
Beating a "weapon" in 7.
first time I saw Leviatan summon in a demo.

Opera in 3.
3's final battle.

when XIII finally opened up.

jdstorm

Banned
This thread is just reminding me how much I love FFVI. The level of writing and characterisation in so many of these older JRPGs is incredible.

My favourite moment. Easily Celes Aria ( The Opera Scene)

Byvar

This from FF9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xqtQwC-hwM
"You're all a bunch of babysitting bastards!"
"But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here."

Only the ultimate Sakaguchi-Uematsu combo could pull that off, and they created similarly amazing moments in Lost Odyssey and the Last Story.

Anyway, here are the other moments I found very memorable:
- FF5: Riding a dragon, first encounter with Gilgamesh
- FF6: Opera scene, Celes's suicide, coin toss
- FF7: Cloud's first telling of the Nibelheim incident, Aeris's death
- FF8: Sorceress assassination mission, the Tomb of the Unknown King (the music!)
- FF9: The whole ending scene including the credits (I'm a big Melodies of Life fan) and "You're not alone" (the video I linked)
- FF10: The sending, and Tidus disappearing during the ending.

Overall FF9's moments top all of these for me, though FF6's moments make it a difficult choice.

FFVI, Kefka
destroying the world
... and when Celes
attempts suicide
. Fucking nuts that a SNES game tackled this kind of issue.

That's a helluva one-two punch in the span of an hour.
FFVI tackled some deep shit back then. I think
Celes' suicide attempt
impacts the ending even more when
she drops Locke's bandana and goes back to retrieve it, nearly dying in the process.
It shows how a General for the Empire that was originally cold an distant has grown to not only cherish her companions(and Locke), but grow sentimental over
Locke's bandana, which gave hope to carry on in the World of Ruin.

That, Gau's father, Katarin and Duane's teen pregnancy(they were supposed to be young lovers, even though they were the oldest of the children of Mobliz), how guilt has wrought Locke because of
Rachel
, and the love shared between two brothers(damn, Edgar and Sabin...wow). Hell, even the relationship between
Madonna and Maduin, interracial and "forbidden", but producing our heroine, Terra, as well as it not being the first, since Odin had a human lover and their relationship also ended in tragedy.

Yeah, FFVI is my favorite of the series! Love it to death!

tearsofash

FF14: Before the Fall's ending got pretty sad and hype

I really recommend anyone that likes Final Fantasy to check out FFXIV, at least watch all the cutscenes if you aren't into mmo's.

Came here to say this. The suspense is real, and the game still hasn't really recovered.

Wazzy

Banned
Final Fantasy VIII's ending and The Ballroom Dance.

The endings music with the beautiful silent imagery really got me when I first watched it. So much happens without anything said and it ties up everything nicely.

The dance was such a great moment for Squall and seeing him start to open up.

Or you could just use the other ending where he doesn't come back?

X-2 is great because we get to watch Yuna grow, not Tidus. We watch as she breaks out of the shell she was raised in and begin to actually enjoy life.

Sulla1980

Probably the high five at the end of FFX between Titus and Jecht. It brings the whole "hating-your-dad" theme to a close.

I certainly didn't always get along with my dad (who does?), so I found that aspect of the story toto be meaningful overall, even when the dialogue was clunky.

Probably either the end of the World of Balance/start of the World of Ruin in FF VI, or the Shin-Ra HQ Raid in FF VII... that climb up out of the slums and standing before it as the camera pans down... the bloody hallway in the jail cell... the escape on the bike...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8MwnD2MDs

Either that or something with Cid in space. Probably the failed rocket launch or the rocket launch that fails to destroy Meteor.

Midgar Zolom scene is probably the single most memorable quick moment that summarizes Sephiroth, and actually IMO the strength of the game -- that sort of haunting and ominous mystery. The bloody Shin-Ra HQ hallway scene, the scenes in the Nibelheim basement or the Mako reactor bridge, the ship from Junon to Costa del Sol, all of the best sort of 'horror' scenes are summed up pretty well by the Midgar Zolom.

FF XII and FFT are my other two faves but more for their culmination of so many moments, and the broader story and setting. Most of my favorite moments from those games were for their implications or just the dialogue writing and voice acting in the case of FF XII. VIII had some cool early SeeD missions, too, and I loved anything related to mountain passes or black mages in IX. But for singular moments that really stick with me, I lean toward VII.

FF VII had a lot of great scenes in terms of atmosphere... Nibelheim basement, escape Junon or parachuting into Midgar, Red XIII finding Seto always gets me, too. But in terms of scope, I think the most powerful event in a FF is probably the end of the World of Balance though, but that's through a series of scenes and moments. Same with a lot of those FF VII scenes like the Shin-Ra HQ or Nibelheim... if I had to pick one moment, maybe when Sephiroth withdrawals to the Nibelheim basement library and learns about Jenova, and then becomes obsessed.

Either that or when (if) Cid dies and Celes tries to commit suicide, and then that sort of ominous and bleak hopelessness of traversing the World of Ruin for the very first time.

melchior_

The opera scene in FF3/6 is still the most final fantasiest thing to me. That and Celes' attempted suicide stick out to me more than any other moment in any other FF game I've played.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You're not alone from FFIX is, to date, the piece of art i carry the most with me. It's a part of family history at this point.
"Your friends will be here for you, if you've been here for them" has hit very, very close to home.

Recently, i've been eminently surprised by how much i felt the Heavensward story. The ragtag misfits huddling at a campfire, Shiva's sacrifice, et all. They've very played out themes, and i don't think they could resonate one more time - especially in a goddamn MMO, of all things. Yet they did.

FFIV has impressive storytelling-by-gameplay. The recent Undertale owes a lot to IV and IX (And a other bunch of stuff), but it's very impressive when you think about when it was made, and how recognizing ludonarrative dissonance wasn't even a thing at the point.

I'll leave VI, VII, VIII and XI to the people to truly love them.

IX has obviously the Gidan's Depression \ You're Not Alone, but basically every FMV hits hard.
Blank's Demise
Arrival at Lindblum
Cleyra Destroyed
Atomos at Lindblum
Bahamut v Alexander
Beyond obviously, ending. Saint god.

Gidan's, Garnet's and Vivi's character arcs are all masterful. Other characters are obviously minor, but eh. Even 60h games can't do eight proper character arcs.

X has...
Sin at Luka
Sin at the beach
Auron v Yunalesca
Ending

XII has a beyond great opening arc, but i didn't really feel the game after leaving Ondore.

XIII has a pretty good ending. Same for XIII-2.

XIV has a lot, especially in patches and Heavensward.
The Assassination, and Shiva's Sacrifice, are great.

Music is basically 50% of it. At this point, after Heavensward and Undertale, i'm fully in the camp that proper music > voice acting for emotionally impactful scenes.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
tumblr_noe78u5aOD1s2w5q7o5_400.gif

IMO, no 3D FF has topped IX's ending

I would say that ending is tied for me with the ending to Crisis Core for emotional impact. Different ends of the emotional scale though. Final Fantasy IX's ending is just such a happy conclusion to a beautiful story, whereas Crisis Core was a gut punch that reminded me of the bleak nature of things in FF VII.

RMI

Banned
Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone to save the party in FFIV.

There are a lot of super amazing story beats in FFIV, actually, but I'll never forget that one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
565f74cea166a1c4c9844249f22c3471.jpg

Most memorable FF scene for me.

There are a lot of super amazing story beats in FFIV, actually, but I'll never forget that one.

Yea, thats pretty great.

Also for me, Hating the stupid Draw system in VIII

Came here to post this. FFIV had such a great story with memorable characters, and this particular moment always stood out to me.

Even

The escape from Figaro Castle in FFVI. "No one can touch the people of Figaro!"... Wow, it was amazing at the time.

antitrop

I bet 80% of the people in this thread have no idea of what FF was before VII. And I'm probably being too generous.

That's 7's legacy. It was the game that brought the series to the mainstream with an unprecedented marketing campaign focused entirely on the CG cutscenes.

Thankfully, they put that muscle behind a pretty great game.

My first Final Fantasy memory is trying unsuccessfully to fit the names of my childhood best friends into 4 characters for the original NES game, but it was 7 that really had a profound impact on me as a young teenager. I played 6 a few months after finishing 7 and that was one hell of a back to back combo, they both remain two of my absolute favorite games ever made.

It's also a pretty old game at this point, I'm sure there are people posting in this thread that were born around 1997 and there's nothing wrong with that.

RPGamer92

Banned
For me personally, the final battle in FFIX:
Near the end, the boss killed my party except for Steiner who was in the state where he just attacked without letting me command him. He kept attacking the boss and got really low on health and I was thinking "that's it", but then Steiner hits the boss again and kills him. It was a very happy and surprising moment for me lol.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For me personally, the final battle in FFIX:
Near the end, the boss killed my party except for Steiner who was in the state where he just attacked without letting me command him. He kept attacking the boss and got really low on health and I was thinking "that's it", but then Steiner hits the boss again and kills him. It was a very happy and surprising moment for me lol.

That happened to me too but with Garnet.

Its a very poorly designed final boss. The fights that come before it are a lot better.

Zetta

Cosmo Canyon with Red XIII realizing the truth always gets me and I will never forget it. Another one is the ending of FF1. It just hits you that these four heroes saved the world and no one will remember it, it truly was the Final Fantasy.

FFVI. Sequence where Locke, Terra, and Edgar are escaping by Chocobo in the desert and Figaro Castle transforms and goes underground. That music was a treat.

kromeo

Probably the ending to to FFX, most emotional I've felt from a game, either Auron disappearing or Yuna on the ship...

The intro fmv to FFVIII was pretty special when I was a kid as well, the whole section at the end of disk one right before you fight Edea as well..

Grisu

Neo Member
As it happens, my favourite FF moment is the sending of Tidus and the bittersweet moment when he runs to Yuna and they embrace but can't feel each other at the end of FFX. And that's alright. Endings don't always have to be happy. Life surely isn't. Love and heartbreak have hardly before been so beautifully rendered in a videogame.

ktRtXkv.gif

That was heart wrenching to watch my SO play trough X recently ;(

Mar Nosso

Banned
Who hurt you?

You did, with your last two moments listed. And to think everything was going so well when you were talking about FFVIII...

ktRtXkv.gif

That was heart wrenching to watch my SO play trough X recently ;(

Aye, crushed my heart! I might be a sucker for emotional abuse. Allegedly!

Final Fantasy VIII's ending and The Ballroom Dance.

The endings music with the beautiful silent imagery really got me when I first watched it. So much happens without anything said and it ties up everything nicely.

The dance was such a great moment for Squall and seeing him start to open up.

Or you could just use the other ending where he doesn't come back?

X-2 is great because we get to watch Yuna grow, not Tidus. We watch as she breaks out of the shell she was raised in and begin to actually enjoy life.

I actually got that ending and still would rather forget I even bought the game. You watch Yuna play dress up with her BFF's in about 40 hours of nonsense. Classic case of not leaving a good thing alone and ruining it by extending it and having to come up with "creative" stuff to fill it up with.

Johndoey

Banned
My favorite Final Fantasy moment was siting in a parking lot reading through a thread, and seeing someone mention Tidus
getting killed by an exploding Blitzball
in a follow up novella, so naturally I went to a wiki to verify and had one of the most sincere and longest fits of laughing i'd had in ages. It honestly brightened up a pretty shit day.

Top Bottom