• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your most memorable Final Fantasy moment? [Spoilers, kupo.]

Caronte

Laguna talking with Julia for the first time (and last from what I remember).

First run to Jeuno in FFXI
Fuck all your other shit, this was a literal adventure with everything and every person's is different but seemingly everyone remembers their first run to Jeuno since it's fraught with so much danger.

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

I like this one. But I must say, I felt a little bit disappointed about the city since it really wasn't that big or anything.

1.Aerith's death.
2.Opening of FF8
3.Bahumt vs Alexander in FF9
4.Quistis killing the giant mech spider in FF8
5.Opening of FFX

As far as gameplay, stepping out of Midgar for the first time.

antitrop

-The whole segment when you get to the center of the crater and the Weapons awaken and shit hits the fan.

Sapphire Weapon attacking Junon and getting hit point-blank with the Mako cannon

Diamond Weapon attacking Midgar and killing Rufus (until he's magically alive in Advent Children, anyway)

Definitely two of the coolest moments in the game. It's stuff like this why I can never agree with people who say FF7 is all downhill after you leave Midgar. I think most of the coolest shit in the game happens in Disc 2 (except for the snowboarding, as I said).

KiraXD

Fuck all your other shit, this was a literal adventure with everything and every person's is different but seemingly everyone remembers their first run to Jeuno since it's fraught with so much danger.

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

this is good too... fuck i miss FFXI so much... after 8 years from day 1, i left... tried getting into FFXIV... but its not XI... if only 14 was an updated XI it would be perfect.

Pinky

Banned
FFI:

- When your party transitions to a higher class
- Getting the airship

FFIV:

- Cecil becomes a Paladin
- When Palom and Porom sacrifice themselves
- Tellah's death

FFVI:

- Ultros
- Opera scene
- Poisoning of Doma
- Kefka kills Gestahl and brings ruin to the world
- Esper world flashbacks and Terra's origins
- The ending/credits

FFVII:

- When clouds meets Aeris in the church
- When Cloud sees Jenova's headless body in the Shinra building(creeped me the fuck out!)
- Finally leave Midgar and the world map opens up
- First time arriving in Junon(Loved the FMV sequence)
- Aeris' death
- Nibelheim/Shinra mansion flashbacks
- Final battle

FFVIII:(Not a fan of the game at all. Hated it)

- Only thing I really enjoyed was the Laguna, Kiros and Ward flashbacks. That's it.

FFIX:

- Bahamut attacks Alexandria
- World of Terra and Garland
- Zidane discovers the truth in Bran Bal
- All fights with Beatrix

FFX:

- Sin attacks Zanarkand
- Yuna and The Sending
- Sin is Jecht
- Arriving at Zanarkand Ruins
- The ending :(

Final Fantasy XII:

- Love this game. One of my favorites. However, I can barely remember shit when it comes to the story. I was drawn in by the world, Gambit system, music and the badass duo of Balthier and Fran. And the side quests/hunts/espers/etc... Such a good game. Kept me busy for a long time.

- Okay, I got one. :p Beating Yiazmat

FFXIII:(Not a fan of this one either, but I have a few memories)

- Sazh was the shit
- When your party lands on Pulse
- The ending

Nosgotham

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

Yes! My party got split up and annihilated in Jugner on our trip from Valkurm Dunes to Jeuno and I had to solo to Jeuno. I was so terrified because I was one death away from de-leveling

So intense and fun

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The last words of Vivi at the end of Final Fantasy IX combined with the music did it for me.

https://youtu.be/mib-VzIsTII?t=12m2s

I always talked about you, Zidane. How you were a very special person to us, because you taught us all how important life is. You taught me that life doesn't last forever. That's why we have to help each other and live life to the fullest. Even if you say goodbye, you'll always be in our hearts. So, I know we're not alone anymore. Why I was born... How I wanted to live... Thanks for giving me time to think. To keep doing what you set your heart on... It's a very hard thing to do. We were all so courageous... What to do when I felt lonely... That was the only thing you couldn't teach me. But we need to figure out the answer for ourselves... I'm so happy I met everyone... I wish we could've gone on more adventures. But I guess we all have to say goodbye someday. Everyone... Thank you. Farewell. My memories will be part of the sky...

I'll admit I teared up.

Palom and Porum's sacrifice in FFIV.

The entire phantom train sequence with Cyan and the ghosts.

The motor ball chase in FFVII.

The long walk across the bridge while holding rinoa on your back in FF VIII. Really important developmental moment for Squall. Also the first mission when the radar tower transforms right before fighting biggs wedge and elvoret. The music is awesome and it's a great showcase of the FMV backgrounds they would utilize once in a while. I also really like the raid on Balamb Garden in it's entirety.

The escape from the evil forest cutscene in FF IX. Poor Blank.

FFX's opening. I love the retrospective angle, and it really gave me more of a perspective on the Tidus's initial goofyness. That this was going to be a story of growth. It always bugs me that people go into this game expecting everyone to be flawless.

Final Fantasy XI has too many big moments to list, but the point where I knew I was hooked for good was when I got to the beginning of Zilart (Cutscene in Norg). I thought it was amazing how the game kept the whole thing under wraps and never referenced the events in "later" expansions and such. The assault questline and the final "thank you" cutscene in Rhapsodies are also high points for me.

FF XII doesn't have a lot of story bits I remember much. I loved the Gilgamesh parts, and the giant white chocobo hunt was what helped drive home a real appreciation for the battle system for me.

FFXIII Snow and Sera watching fireworks on the hoverbike, and the attack on cocooon cutscene post pulse. There's some really kinetic cutscenes I enjoyed a lot in that segment.

00_Part_5_Intro_MDS5_5.png

Leaving Midgar in FF7. Ah god, it was such a relief to get to the world map. And the weapon upgrades! I finally felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy game.

Hilarion

Guy speak Beaver.

FFII is all very memorable, actually. Shortly after Guy spoke Beaver a guy who looked like Shakespeare was crushed by a cave-in.

FFII is not my favorite Final Fantasy but I'll never forget it. I died so many fucking times.

Oh, there was the time I ended up in a fight with some flans who were immune to magical attacks and were too fast to run away from when I was out of MP. I was so powerful the Flans couldn't hurt me but I couldn't hurt them or run. After 15 mins I had to turn off my GBA and lose over an hour of progress.

Weblog+2+-+FF+IX+Bahamut+and+Alexander.jpg

By far and away the most effective, impactful use of eidolons as a plot device in the series (this game and FFX are tied for that, I guess). Some beautiful CG, and, to be honest, I think the plotting and pacing from the Triple Triad tournament downtime through to the end of this segment is literally the best the series gets; the tension is incredible.

Before 2013, I would have agreed with you. However, I'm a FFXIV player and after having cleared all of the Binding Coil of Bahamut, I'd say Turns 12 and 13 eclipse this moment from FFIX for me. Heck, the End of an Era scene eclipses it for me. How do you remake a failed MMO? Have a giant meteor crash down to the earth only to then explode and be revealed to be a prison for Bahamut who is very, very, very angry.

koji kabuto

0203_jeuno-windurst.jpg

This.
Best experience I had in gaming.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Sephiroth killing Aerith feels like the lame obvious answer but it's still the one I gotta go with.

pablito

XI is king of memorable moments, gameplay wise anyway.

Starting and finishing Chains of Promathia the whole way with the same group of buddies prior to the nerf.

Stealing hate as a samurai on the Proto Ultima boss (Limbus) and when it does the countdown, stunning its ultimate move. And being able to successfully tank it anytime I stole hate from tanks.

Finally seeing the Skirmish Pephredo. Fuck. You. Bees. 9 months before a single one showed up. And add to that, finishing a salvage set. Took me 11 months of 6x runs per week (missing very few if any runs) to finish Usukane.

Journeying through the most deadly Aht Urghan areas with just my WHM buddy when I was doing my BLU job quests there. Neither one of us were strong to fight anything there, and everything was true sight/hearing.

Being first in line for Byakko's haidate and seeing them drop.

Farming hagun for MONTHS and seeing the first drop.

Just beat Jailer of Love? RUUUUNNN!!!!

I'm sure finishing your first relic tops them all. Unfortunately I didn't get that far with mine.

ffxiii_oerba_zpsqe3wn9yo.jpg

FF XIII- I liked when you finally get to Oerba and walk around this sad little city that has fallen into ruins. It's partly submerged in years of crystal dust and inhabited only by shambling Cieth zombies. The song that plays there is so incredibly haunting that it almost makes the moment for me. I thought the story of what happened to the people of Pulse was one of my favorite bits of the game's backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLa0N7kVlfo

FF14: Before the Fall's ending got pretty sad and hype

I really recommend anyone that likes Final Fantasy to check out FFXIV, at least watch all the cutscenes if you aren't into mmo's.

JaCy

The first scene that comes to mind is Edea's Parade, Definitely the most iconic and memorable scene to me.

Meowster

The opening of Final Fantasy VIII is the kind of thing that stays with you. It was the first non "kiddie" game I owned and it felt like something I couldn't have even imagined of at the time. My seven year-old self used to reset the game and click on New Game just to watch the opening scene over and over.

Neff

Most memorable? Playing FFVI and realising that Final Fantasy was something I needed in my life.

Most impactful? The ending.

Opera, Celes' suicide attempt; reuniting Gau with his father - 6
Aeris' death - 7
Opening scene; The Ragnarok scene when Eyes on Me starts playing - 8
The moogle who's kupo for kupo nuts - 9
Tidus learning the truth at Home; Lake scene - 10
1000 Words - 10-2
Cliff scene with Prishe - 11
The end of the 2.x storyline - 14

Lanf

If I had to pick one thing, it would probably be the part in Cosmo Canyon where Red XIII learns the truth about his father. Also note the great version of the Cosmo Canyon music piece. Entire thing made me tear up, much more than Aeris ever did. Looking forward to this in the remake!

Some other stuff that springs to mind: Ending of FFIX (best FF ending?), the "perfect" ending of FFX-2 (was hard work, but worth it!), Yunalesca in FFX and learning the truth (Auron being BOSS).

Reading through this thread makes me want to replay every Final Fantasy.

Weblog+2+-+FF+IX+Bahamut+and+Alexander.jpg

By far and away the most effective, impactful use of eidolons as a plot device in the series (this game and FFX are tied for that, I guess). Some beautiful CG, and, to be honest, I think the plotting and pacing from the Triple Triad tournament downtime through to the end of this segment is literally the best the series gets; the tension is incredible.

This is it for me. FFIX holds a special place in my heart as the first Final Fantasy game I ever beat totally on my own, without guides and without siblings, and this is THE scene, man.

tumblr_noe78u5aOD1s2w5q7o5_400.gif

IMO, no 3D FF has topped IX's ending

Zidane's reveal at the very end of IX is definitely my favorite and most memorable scene out of the entire series. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

"Bring my beloved Dagger to me!", along with Garnet running down and jumping into his arms, has brought me to tears every single time I've played the game over the years, and I'm looking forward to it again now that I'm replaying the PC version.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Right after the end of the world of balance in ff6. Seeing what had happened to the world was :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9TBx3ce7cE

0:50 is when you know the game isn't going to pull any punches on this. Like, games beforehand flirt with world destruction, even cataclysmic events (continent shifting, towns being wiped off the map, etc).... you see the same in the early parts of this sequence. But at 0:50, when it shows the entire planet getting engulfed in explosions and destructive magic... that's on a different scale than most games care to take things. You've lost. The villain has won. And then the game shifts to some time later, with the entire world a barren wasteland and the once clear blue sky now engulfed in a brown/yellow/orange haze.

And the rest of the game is basically for the sole purpose of picking up the pieces and starting over with what little remains, not saving the world.

Feep

Banned
The opening of Final Fantasy VIII is the kind of thing that stays with you. It was the first non "kiddie" game I owned and it felt like something I couldn't have even imagined of at the time. My seven year-old self used to reset the game and click on New Game just to watch the opening scene over and over.
This is way up there for me. After FFVII, one of my favorite games of all time, and booting up Final Fantasy VIII after I got it for the holidays, and seeing the most hype intro of ALL TIME?!

I was literally screaming.

Too bad the game was meh.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This is way up there for me. After FFVII, one of my favorite games of all time, and booting up Final Fantasy VIII after I got it for the holidays, and seeing the most hype intro of ALL TIME?!

I was literally screaming.

Too bad the game was meh.

But FF8 is the best final fantasy... :>

Edgar and Sabin's coin toss flashback.

FF6CoinTossMoments.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uvxoIcgdpio

Especially with this analysis.

While they do both have Tails, the game makes it clear it's Heads. Not only does Setzer acknowledge it as a double headed coin but more importantly?

Heads = Sabin wins.

This wasn't a coin toss for "who gets to be king" but rather "who makes the decision?" Since Sabin won, he was allowed to choose either a Life of Freedom or a Life of Royalty. Sabin openly stated he has had enough of life in Figaro and wants freedom, and sure enough, Edgar says pretty much "And so you chose your freedom."

Edgar's double headed coin thing here was the opposite of Setzer's case. While in Setzer's case, it was to force him into helping, in Edgar's case, it was him doing Sabin a solid. Edgar himself is not a fan of palace life, Sabin even states Edgar has spoke out about it, just Edgar can keep things to himself better. At the same time, Edgar knows both can't leave Figaro, and both brothers know that Edgar is far more suited for being king, and that Sabin treasures freedom way more, but neither wants to come out and say it. So Edgar makes it seem like fate decided, when in fact, he was giving Sabin what he wanted, and sacrificing his own freedom for the sake of his brother and doing what both know is best for the Kingdom.

This one action really did prove that Edgar is the better suited for the role than Sabin. Making a sacrifice for the sake of everyone else, choosing his Kingdom over himself, and heck, he even is being underhanded and sneaky as all good Politicians are, Edgar pretty much proved he is the right man for the job, even if he himself didn't really want it. He's mature enough, however, to stomach it and make the most of the situation. The end of the Coin Toss scene has Edgar and Sabin pretty much coming to an agreement that everything has worked out pretty well, they have no hard feelings for one another and never did, and Sabin even encourages Edgar by telling him to never doubt whether father would be proud.

FF VI. So many moments. Celes being beaten and Locke saving her. Terra turning herself into an esper. Rachel dying.

Best game in history. Sorry FFVII post fans.

Top Bottom