• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Gintama 260
OMSIBEol.jpg

Holy fuck.

Gintama is the manliest text ever created.

I thought you be championing your Tsuki x Gin considering she was angry and worried over Gin in this episode.

Articalys

Good, good. That means R;N vol. 1 outsold C;H vol. 1 :p
Well, remember, the number to beat is 1,487. Not saying that it won't pull in those extra 250 sales at some point in the future, but it's not quite there yet, and we might never see it technically rank on the charts beyond this.

There is something seriously wrong with a market when a nationwide released product cant even break 500 copies.

Especially something this fantastic. When you have all these shitty pandering shows selling 10-20k copies, and From the New World is getting around 500 copies, something is really wrong.

Articalys

That many shows really sold more than 10K copies in 2012?
Well, here's all the 2012 shows that have over a 10,000 BD+DVD per volume average so far:
60,580 - Nisemonogatari (Winter, 5 vols)
45,804 - Fate/Zero Second Season (Spring, 1 vol)
37,313 - Sword Art Online (Summer, 9 vols)
23,029 - Girls und Panzer (Fall, 6 vols)
23,011 - Kuroko no Basuke (Spring, 9 vols)
21,019 - Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II (Summer, 7 vols)
15,820 - Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Fall, 7 vols)
12,674 - To Love-Ru Darkness (Fall, 6 vols)
11,723 - Gintama' Enchousen (Fall, 3 vols)
11,609 - Little Busters! (Fall, 9 vols)
10,622 - Inu x Boku SS (Winter, 7 vols)
And sitting in the high 9,*** area are Hyouka, Initial D Fifth Stage, and High School DxD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought you be championing your Tsuki x Gin considering she was angry and worried over Gin in this episode.
EEK4cKil.jpg

Yes, even that moment was manly. lol
(Best pairing is best, etc!)

It's really hard to show anything since you could probably cap every single line and shot from the episode to illustrate how awesome this show can be.

cajunator

Banned
Especially something this fantastic. When you have all these shitty pandering shows selling 10-20k copies, and From the New World is getting around 500 copies, something is really wrong.

Thats the thing. Even successful shows can rarely break 10,000 copies sold. The margin for error in anime seems so tiny. If you miss the otaku you miss everything completely.

cajunator

Banned
All the Media Create people would get heart attacks if they saw this thread when discussing sales. #NicheHobbyForNicheHobbyists

Yeah no joke. Sales are so ridiculously low in the anime market. They really need to come up with a way to lower costs and break into a bigger market.

Well, here's all the 2012 shows that have over a 10,000 BD+DVD per volume average so far:

And sitting in the high 9,*** area are Hyouka, Initial D Fifth Stage, and High School DxD.

Its amazing how popular GuP is, although its completely understandable.

BTOOOM! or Medaka Box dont target Otaku?

I said "miss the otaku". Some shows aim straight for Otaku, like Rinne no Lagrange, and strike out spectacularly.

NeonZ

Thats the thing. Even successful shows can rarely break 10,000 copies sold. The margin for error in anime seems so tiny. If you miss the otaku you miss everything completely.

It's not just the anime market though. The culture regarding buying home video releases evolved in Japan in its own unique way. They target otaku because they're the only audience over there with any interest on buying video releases in the first place. There isn't an actual big mainstream market for these products there, and that's not limited to anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Clearly those are reinforced skirts made for tank warfare.

Something that always bothered me about wind and cloth in animation (and not just limited to anime). If you hold a peace of cloth or paper in strong wind, it will almost always bend in one direction instead of the kind of billowing effect you see when Superman is posing on top of the daily planet showing off his spandexed pecs with his cape undulating behind him. This also applies to hair, which sometimes even takes on a silk-like density.

Sure, it looks pretty, but it's UNPOSSIMABLE.

If you've ever gone out on a windy day with longish hair, you know that shit gets all up in your face, and doesn't conveniently leave it uncovered while the ends sway in the wind in time with the cherry blossoms.

-Minsc-

Well i didn't enjoy this arc as much as i should have.. there is this light feelign of "more to come".... it was a decent appetizer but i hope more of them will come.

Despite all the good things that were used , this arc is clearly the weakest by far since i've restarted gintama for the 2011 run.
They better do better next time!! After the 4diva arc i can't accept anything less than awesome or legendary ...do better sunrise !

VERDICT ( arc ) : GOOD
VERDICT ( ep 246 ) : EXCELLENT

We had to wait nearly a year. You won't. ;0

Naruto Shippuden 298

Really awesome episode. Love the Itachi Naruto moments and then Sasuke being their topic of discussion, save him Naruto and bring him back, help paint this canvas a good colour. Im glad it covered at least two chapters, I still remember reading this scene it looked so much better and kind of a bit more disgusting animated.

This was a really good episode of Naruto, nicely done. As good as it was though it sadly feels rather weak coming off the latest episodes of Gintama.

/XX/

Not gonna lie, my eyes were moistened at the end.
Can't deny it either, man... can't deny...

You've articulated pretty much how I feel about Diebuster as it relates to Gunbuster. I find both works amazing on their own merits. And yep, that last scene is one of my favorites ever :).
Exactly! Not only seen as a true companion piece and simple love letter, really... then again, I suppose that seeing them as an entity also makes rankings between both rather futile, and I kind of like to avoid watching that be done as well.

I had someone recommend Summer Days with Coo to me, but I watched the trailer on YouTube and it just looked like a huge ET rip-off. Can anyone who has seen it confirm or deny this for me?
I would call some similarities out of it, although Coo is not a mere visitant from outer-space passing by, and coexisting with the humans that invade his habitat is a bigger hurdle while it makes Coo's adventure much more oppressive, interactions with egoist humans more miserable, and overall a sadder experience. Not to say it is just a sad movie, of course... only that some moments are even more unsettling because of this.

Believe me, I've been in that club for about 2 years now.
Yeah. The comparisons featuring "K-ON! WITH GUNS"... that "SPECULAH!", "TRUMPETAH!", "Soramirez do everything!"... people spamming pictures of Takemikazuchi's garage kits as if those were going to be available to all some day... the rumors again of a continuation after 2011's re-airing... good times after all...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. The comparisons featuring "K-ON! WITH GUNS"... that "SPECULAH!", "TRUMPETAH!", "Soramirez do everything!"... people spamming pictures of Takemikazuchi's garage kits as if those were going to be available to all some day... the rumors again of a continuation after 2011's re-airing... good times after all...
It's amazing how that show galvanized a small group of nerds. Now that's how you do world building. lol

Welcome to the club of happysad people who loved Sora no woto and realize that no more of it is ever ever being made. Ever.

Yep, pretty sad, but I'm glad something like this exists.

I did get in the cajun-approved Nurse Witch Kogumi complete collection yesterday and watched the first couple episodes. Pretty fun show so far :).

/XX/

Good Lord, whatever black magic was used to construct this must be shared with the rest of the world.
And.. what about with Studio Ghibli? That idea reminds me of the mapping technology used in Princess Mononoke they shared, for it to be converted and promoted into the Deep Canvas™ solution.

But really, that motion-tween style advancement is impressive!

That looks like Square Enix Visual Works. I wish it were.
I'm really satisfied as is when the staff at MARZA ANIMATION PLANET INC., can do things like this:

Lupin III - Master File 3DCG - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXBU3bURWc

As duckroll said, they were previously known as Sega's VE Research & Development team.

It's amazing how that show galvanized a small group of nerds. Now that's how you do world building. lol
Of course! Everyone was so into it speculating (http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Episode_Charts) all together that a sweet bond was unavoidably formed!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

faridmon

Can someone advise me on One Piece: I have watched untill
Luffy's brother's death
Should I skip the fillers or should I just watch on?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] 13

Very impressive.
The lackadaisical mood of the first half betrays the serious stuff that strikes you at the end. I was afraid that the episode would revolve around the silly meat-eating vs vegan conundrum that makes me hate Nadia so freaking much, but the moment it switched to Marie and King's adventures (complete with a totally out of place opening theme song montage) should have been the first sign that Anno had something else in mind. Great sakuga aside, the goofy action that followed only lulls you into a relaxed sense of security when shit hits the fan and Nemo kills the Neo Atlantis soldier in cold blood.

Such clever use of bait and switch is prevalent in Anno's works. Actually, this episode reminded me a lot of Evangelion 19, where
all signs point to Shinji becoming a hero through heroic acts of badassery, only for him to completely fail at saving the day and literally regressing to his mother's womb, betraying the "coming of age" moment that had been hinted beforehand.

I can hate Anno for CGI Evangelions, but moments like these are why I'm so in love with his work in general.

Theonik

It's more lewd without the panties.
Not sure if that's the case with GuP it's just very stubborn skirts. This will probably meet your demands!

Something that always bothered me about wind and cloth in animation (and not just limited to anime). If you hold a peace of cloth or paper in strong wind, it will almost always bend in one direction instead of the kind of billowing effect you see when Superman is posing on top of the daily planet showing off his spandexed pecs with his cape undulating behind him. This also applies to hair, which sometimes even takes on a silk-like density.

Sure, it looks pretty, but it's UNPOSSIMABLE.

If you've ever gone out on a windy day with longish hair, you know that shit gets all up in your face, and doesn't conveniently leave it uncovered while the ends sway in the wind in time with the cherry blossoms.
It depends on the strength and direction of the wind as well as how heavy the hair/cloth is. The idea is that as the cloth is pivoted and reaches a certain angle the air under it escapes and it doesn't have enough lift thus dropping until it is at an angle where it can lift it again. It's relatively rare that the right conditions for it to look this awesome arise but who cares! It looks awesome so we can pretend ideal conditions always exist in animetopia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom