• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

I feel like at this point they would be crazy not to do a sequel (depending how the numbers finish up). This is a good chance to start a big franchise in the chinese market which just looks to be getting bigger and bigger. This movie has even been reviewed terribly and may end up pushing as much as 450-500 million worldwide.

Just think what they could do if they made a better received film (particularly with one of the more known and popular stories like arthas).

Geez looks like Warcraft is going to be a monster in china. It's a fun time to watch the BO, the rise of China is massively changing the landscape for movies.

you do a film with night, blood elves, I guarantee people will flock to it. Hell, I want a sequel for them alone.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Boxoffice.com posted their final weekend predictions. $33.5M for The Conjuring 2, $27M for Now You See Me 2, and $21M for Warcraft.

NYSM2 seems a tad high. I'm thinking low twenties.

Australia was down 25% in local currency when NYSM2 launched there, I'm thinking it plays out the same domestically.

kswiston

My 1 to 9 for the Domestic to International looking better everyday

Its looking like the 5 day for Warcraft will be in the $175M range in China. Worldwide total without China was over $75M as of Tuesday with new territories opening Thursday and Friday. Unless things majorly collapse, we will probably see over $300M ww by Sunday.

Kusagari

I doubt it but has a western movie ever grossed more in China than the rest of the world combined?

Because it's happening with Warcraft.

Lebron

lol that's all Warcraft is expected to bring in OW? They shouldn't have even bothered releasing it here in the States. That's pathetic. Should have been China only.

jett

D-Member
I'm surprised how little pull the Warcraft IP has with American audiences. I imagine it won't do much better in most other western audiences. After all, the movie does look like some sort of Chinese hodgepodge knockoff of fantasy tropes and cliches. :p

Finaj

I'm surprised how little pull the Warcraft IP has with American audiences. I imagine it won't do much better in most other western audiences. After all, the movie does look like some sort of Chinese hodgepodge knockoff of fantasy tropes and cliches. :p

It's actually doing very well in Europe. It doesn't look like it'll fair too well in America, though.

duckroll

<warning satire ahead>

Did you really expect a brand strongest among young fat lazy teenagers who never leave their homes to have substantial pull in cinemas?

<warning satire ahead>

Did you really expect a brand strongest among young fat lazy teenagers who never leave their homes to have substantial pull in cinemas?

Part of me honestly wonders if the ip was doomed to catch on with a wider audience after the South Park episode.

duckroll

....Blizzard didn't make Warcraft. Legendary and Universal did. Plus, with how well the film is doing in China, I think they're going to be just fine.

Wow, thanks for pouring cold water on that one. We were probably totally serious too.

duckroll

What percent of return studios get from China grosses?

In the case of Warcraft, it might not matter much because it is produced by Legendary Pictures, which is now a subsidiary of China's Wanda Group, which also owns the largest cinema chain in the country. If it makes gangbusters in China, you can bet they'll be investing into sequels.

Snaku

Banned
omg Blizzard is fucked

The second they decided to adapt the least interesting era in the story, excluding the majority of interesting races that people have been paying $15 a month for over a decade to play as, was the second they lost domestic audiences. Making a Warcraft movie instead of a World of Warcraft movie is like making a Dragon Ball movie instead of a Dragon Ball Z movie..oh wait, yeah that bombed too. Imagine if George Lucas had made The Phantom Menace first instead of Star Wars.

I hope China supports Pacific Rim 2 as much as they are with Warcraft.

Nairume

Banned
The second they decided to adapt the least interesting era in the story, excluding the majority of interesting races that people have been paying $15 a month for over a decade to play as, was the second they lost domestic audiences. Making a Warcraft movie instead of a World of Warcraft movie is like making a Dragon Ball movie instead of a Dragon Ball Z movie..oh wait, yeah that bombed too. Imagine if George Lucas had made The Phantom Menace first instead of Star Wars.
The weird part is that it's not even a straight retelling of the story in question. They change up enough to where they could have easily justified changing things up to include more WoW stuff while still being mostly about the first game.

At least beyond a few weak attempts at doing more WoW stuff, including the lone bad cg murlock

Raxus

Wait, Warcraft didn't completely bomb thanks to China?

I really am living in an alternate dimension aren't I?

kswiston

I'm pretty positive that Warcraft will get a sequel. It seems like a prime candidate to switch to a Chinese co-production, netting Legendary the ~40% participation that co-production films get there, plus whatever the Wanda theatre chain keeps on top of that.

Even with shit legs, we are probably looking at $250M or so in China. Rest of the world isn't horrible. Pacific Rim did close to $200M overseas outside of China, and from what I can tell, Warcraft is doing better than that in most territories.

$500M worldwide is possible, even if the domestic take is in the $50M range. Warcraft's budget was $160M.

kswiston

I wonder what past-era blockbuster bombs could have been saved if the Chinese B.O.had been a thing back then.

I'm not sure, but they probably would have bought a fair amount of Waterworld tickets.

So if Warcraft hits $250M in China, it will outgross all 3 Hobbit films combined there.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm pretty positive that Warcraft will get a sequel. It seems like a prime candidate to switch to a Chinese co-production, netting Legendary the ~40% participation that co-production films get there, plus whatever the Wanda theatre chain keeps on top of that.

Even with shit legs, we are probably looking at $250M or so in China. Rest of the world isn't horrible. Pacific Rim did close to $200M overseas outside of China, and from what I can tell, Warcraft is doing better than that in most territories.

$500M worldwide is possible, even if the domestic take is in the $50M range. Warcraft's budget was $160M.

Clearly, between my Star Wars, Alice, Xmen, and other predictions. I am the true Box Office Warrior.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It looks generic as all hell.

Also, it's at least 8 years too late to cash in on the Warcraft name, and just about as late to catch the end of the swords and sorcery fantasy movie wave.

kswiston

It looks generic as all hell.

Also, it's at least 8 years too late to cash in on the Warcraft name, and just about as late to catch the end of the swords and sorcery fantasy movie wave.

I don't know about 8 years, but Warcraft does seem like something that would have been better off coming out in 2010 if we are talking domestic.

EDIT: However, it still wouldn't have made $200M domestic, so waiting until China was huge was probably the better tradeoff.

duckroll

Open question: If three years ago, they decided to make a Starcraft movie instead of a Warcraft movie, where would we be today? Assuming for nonsensical reasons the exact same cast and crew are on board.

anaron

the film being too late plus lack of Warcraft 3/WoW races is what's gonna hurt this so much here.

the overseas success and huge potential turn around for NA through the attraction of other races is why a sequel is really feasible.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Open question: If three years ago, they decided to make a Starcraft movie instead of a Warcraft movie, where would we be today? Assuming for nonsensical reasons the exact same cast and crew are on board.

We'd have Super Junior appear in some capacity in the film.

duckroll

I wasn't looking at "omg it'll be big in Korea" so much as wondering whether it would have a bigger shot at being more popular in the US, riding the scifi wave of GotG and TFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom