• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

NOTE: xaosslug has been banned. I will be filling in until he gets back.

tP8G3af.png

engOrrn.png

04KrsPF.png

Box Office: ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2’ Tops With $35.3 Million, ‘Popstar’ Flops

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” debuted to a disappointing $35.3 million over the weekend, becoming the latest sequel this year to fall short of expectations. The pizza-munching reptiles’ opening weekend was roughly half of the $65.6 million that its predecessor, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” kicked off to in 2014, illustrating that not all franchises are created equal.

“I don’t think we’ve ever seen a sequel slump of this caliber,” said Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “These films aren’t as good as the first ones, and they’re suffering at the box office.”

Indeed, several film series have struggled to attract crowds in recent months, with “Alice Through the Looking Glass” and “The Huntsman: Winter’s War” losing millions, and other sequels and spinoffs, such as “Kung Fu Panda 3” and “X-Men: Apocalypse,” failing to match the grosses of previous installments. “Captain America: Civil War,” which plays more like an “Avengers” chapter given the presence of Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man than a star-spangled follow-up, did beat the slump, going on to earn over $1.1 billion globally.

Paramount spent $135 million on the latest “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” and released the picture across 4,071 locations. It will look to foreign audiences to try to bolster the underwhelming domestic returns. So far, the situation overseas is more promising. The film opened in 40 international markets, including Russia, Mexico and the United Kingdom, earning $34 million. There are still several major territories left to open, the biggest being China on July 2.

Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore acknowledged that the studio hoped the domestic launch would be bigger, but said that the film could make up ground in the coming weeks. The second “Ninja Turtles” played younger, with 51% of the opening weekend crowd coming in under 25 years old as opposed to 45% for the first picture.

“The good news is younger movies tend to play at better multiples,” said Moore, predicting that, “the gap [between the films] will narrow as we play out.”

The return of the turtles was enough to knock “X-Men: Apocalypse” from the top spot on the stateside charts. The superhero sequel slid more than 65% in its second weekend to earn $22.3 million for a second place finish. The latest “X-Men” has earned $116.5 million since debuting over Memorial Day.

In third place, New Line and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer scored with the modestly budgeted “Me Before You.” The story of a caregiver (Emilia Clarke from “Game of Thrones”) who falls in love with a paralyzed millionaire (Sam Claflin) opened to a solid $18.3 million. Shot for just over $20 million and based on Jojo Moyes’ best-seller of the same name, “Me Before You” appealed heavily to women. Females comprised more than 80% of the opening weekend audience.

“This is typically a time of year filled with big summer, male-dominated action movies,” said Jeff Goldstein, a distribution executive vice president at New Line’s parent studio, Warner Bros. “We felt there was an opportunity to go after our core audience. There isn’t another female-skewing movie for weeks.”

The weekend’s other new release, the music parody “Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping,” collapsed at the box office, scraping together $4.6 million from 2,311 locations. Universal spent $21 million on the mockumentary, which stars Andy Samberg as a Justin Bieber-like music prodigy and reunites the comedian with his Lonely Island partners. The musicians are best known for their work on “Saturday Night Live,” where they composed such viral favorites as “Dick in a Box” and “I’m on a Boat.” The studio believes that “Popstar” could develop a cult following on home entertainment platforms, much as “This Is Spinal Tap” was embraced on video, in its day.

“Films like this can have a long tail through the revenue chains,” said Nick Carpou, Universal’s domestic distribution head. “The story’s not been told on ‘Popstar.'”

*click pic for full list/source*

Worldwide Weekend Box Office

TOP 40 FILMS OF 2016 BY WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE (In Millions $USD)

Zootopia still up in the top 15, with only 400 theaters? That seems crazy.

Not gonna say it deserved a flop, but Popstar looked incredibly bad from the trailers, so I can understand why it did flop.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Turtles did better than anticipated, especially following the $27M estimates.

And X-men had a solid start in China, though it's going to get ravaged by Warcraft

Raxus

Ouch at Popstar.

Seeing it this Tuesday.

Seems like a bad year for blockbusters that aren't mahvel baby.

I felt like Popstar wasn't gonna do so well. My theater wasn't filled up all that much.

That being said I thought it was very funny and well worth seeing. I'm not especially a Lonely Island / Andy Samberg fan, but I thought it was very well done and there were a few bits in particular that I thought were hilarious.

Raxus

Zootopia still up in the top 15, with only 400 theaters? That seems crazy.

Not gonna say it deserved a flop, but Popstar looked incredibly bad from the trailers, so I can understand why it did flop.
And it is out on Blu Ray this week.

Movie's legs are bananas.

Thewonandonly

Damn feel bad about popstar. I'm about to ge see it in 2 hours and I'm really excited.

Also TMNT 2 had a very good first trailer that as hating the first movie made me want to see the second. Then the reviews came back and it seems more like the first movie. Shame.

Toothless

“The good news is younger movies tend to play at better multiples,” said Moore, predicting that, “the gap [between the films] will narrow as we play out.”

Good luck with that with the hugest family release of the year in two weeks.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ouch at Alice. Guess nobody wanted to go back to Wonderland.

Next week is Warcraft? Now that should be a fun thread.

I really wish TLI guys would get a hit. Hot Rod didn't light the BO on fire either.

Popstar is worth seeing if only for Will Arnett.

I haven't seen it but from the trailers and previews I kept thinking that it would be something that might have been better off as like an Eastbound and Down type series on HBO. I think that might be where the Lonely Island guys find their lane rather than major motion pictures.

All the movie that have stumbled this year have been shit, what's the surprise?

You say this as though the box office doesn't have decades of history of shit movies making money?

kswiston

Sorry things were a bit late today. My city has an annual outdoor art show/sale, and I got back a bit later than expected.

I added a chart of the top 40 films of the year Worldwide in the OP from Box Office Mojo. Most films of interest should be up to date on the list. I will post the Comscore WW weekend chart when it is available.

Kusagari

Top 5 movies of the year domestically have made 329mill or more.

Next highest is KFP3 at 143mill.

Almost a 200mill drop.

Dabanton

Popstar will do better on digital and home release. Its sadly not the sort of film I'd rush out to see at the cinema. Probably the same for a lot of people.

GhaleonEB

The Lobster's bad per screen average makes me sad, as it probably won't expand out to play near me. Bummer.

Alice with the big drop this weekend; truly a sequel no one wanted.

Zootopia did it, tops $1b. Straight up bonkers, and it's just showing off with that 1.5% drop this week. Amazing run for a great film.
Sorry things were a bit late today. My city has an annual outdoor art show/sale, and I got back a bit later than expected.

I added a chart of the top 40 films of the year Worldwide in the OP from Box Office Mojo. Most films of interest should be up to date on the list. I will post the Comscore WW weekend chart when it is available.

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized The Witch ended up with quite as much as it did. Pretty great for a film that cost low single digits to produce and distribute.

gimmmick

I can't believe how bad films are doing for 2016.

On a side note , x men finally reeled in the same amount of money domestically as deadpool achieved on opening weekend.

Between Egypt, BvS, CW, Angry Birds, X-Men, Alice, TMNT and probably Warcraft, ID4-2, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strange and Rouge One this is really looking to be the Year of the Bomba.

ryseing

I haven't seen it but from the trailers and previews I kept thinking that it would be something that might have been better off as like an Eastbound and Down type series on HBO. I think that might be where the Lonely Island guys find their lane rather than major motion pictures

It's funny because the HBO movie they did last year very much felt like a trial run for Popstar.

I haven't seen it but from the trailers and previews I kept thinking that it would be something that might have been better off as like an Eastbound and Down type series on HBO. I think that might be where the Lonely Island guys find their lane rather than major motion pictures.

You say this as though the box office doesn't have decades of history of shit movies making money?

Times are a changing. People are putting more and more stock into WoM/critic reviews now. Hollywood can't expect a movie to do well on Hype and past-film goodwill anymore.

...At least in the US. China remains the wildcard.

Zackat

Going to see Turtles tonight, hopefully it is fun.

I didn't see Zootopia in theaters. Kinda wondering if it is worth it to get on Blu-Ray or to just wait for Netflix.

Next weeks thread is going to be something to see.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Popstar was the hardest I've laughed at the movies since Superbad.

Hilarious throughout.

Azerth

Going to see Turtles tonight, hopefully it is fun.

I didn't see Zootopia in theaters. Kinda wondering if it is worth it to get on Blu-Ray or to just wait for Netflix.

Next weeks thread is going to be something to see.

Zoo is a great movie highly recommended

kswiston

I realized that the worldwide chart in the OP would be more useful with the labels not cropped. Fixed.

Deadpool made $6.5M in its Japanese opening this weekend.

X-Men Apocalypse made $59M in China this weekend. Warcraft is out in China on Wednesday.

Cwarrior

Looks like movie goers aren't really interested in watching bad movies like X-men and turtles.

Between Egypt, BvS, CW, Angry Birds, X-Men, Alice, TMNT and probably Warcraft, ID4-2, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strange and Rouge One this is really looking to be the Year of the Bomba.

Wait what ..Civil war 1.1 billion is bomb and Batman vs some dude did over 800million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom