• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xmen doing pretty good despite mediocre reviews no?

A 66% drop doesn't look like the film may have the best legs domestically. I think general WOM on the film is pretty mixed too, which won't help matters. I think it's going to fall well short of DOFP numbers.

Son Of D

Zootopia finally made that $1b. Has to be the strongest legs I've seen since following BO threads.

Also looking at The Mermaid's worldwide gross. How much of that was China? I know it was huge there but not that big.

Wait, what? I didn't even realize it had come out yet.

Released last month. Or was it April?

BumRush

Zootopia finally made that $1b. Has to be the strongest legs I've seen since following BO threads.

Also looking at The Mermaid's worldwide gross. How much of that was China? I know it was huge there but not that big.

Released last month. Or was it April?

Absolutely. Outside of Avatar it's the best box office legs I've seen.

kswiston

A 66% drop doesn't look like the film may have the best legs domestically. I think general WOM on the film is pretty mixed too, which won't help matters. I think it's going to fall well short of DOFP numbers.

X-Men Apocalypse's second weekend is under First Class as well. It still has an $18.5M lead over first class, but there's a pretty good chance it will finish between First Class and the original X-Men domestically. Second worst in the franchise not counting the Wolverine solos.

kswiston

Civil war might be a slight disappointment for Disney but it's definitely not a bomba. BVS with it's rumored budget it might be

Civil War isn't a disappointment for Disney. They will end up with a #11 of all time finish worldwide on what was scheduled to be a Captain America film by throwing Iron Man in it. A couple hundred million viewers also know who Black Panther is now.

Slayven

I will say once, and i will say it a thousand times. The first time Batman, SUperman, and Wonder Woman are on screen together and it doesn't do at least a billion? That shit should scare WB shitless

Civil War isn't a disappointment for Disney. They will end up with a #11 of all time finish worldwide on what was scheduled to be a Captain America film by throwing Iron Man in it. A couple hundred million viewers also know who Black Panther is now.

Marvel is playing 7D chess, while everyone is playing Uno, it is like Black Panther himself is planning this shit

rostocker

So happy to see Zootopia cross that 1b line.

Now, what will be the final resulat of Jungle Book? 1b seems too far away.

Neoxon

Marvel is playing 7D chess, while everyone is playing Uno, it is like Black Panther himself is planning this shit
These guys get it.

kswiston

28 million. Probably only $5mil more than TMNT2's second weekend.

Wait, you think that Turtles is going to make $23M next weekend?

Assuming their 25% Sunday drop isn't on the optimistic side and this weekend stays over $35M, $15M next weekend is going to be the best case scenario for TMNT2. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is closer to $12-13M.

Not surprised about The Lobster. People were leaving the theater to get a refund and those that stayed said it was the worse movie they have ever seen.

BumRush

Civil war might be a slight disappointment for Disney but it's definitely not a bomba. BVS with it's rumored budget it might be

I'm sorry but there's no scenario where Disney is disappointed in Civil War. They're probably going to make a $400M+ profit (all expenses considered) before it ever hits home release, and the positive WOM bodes really well for future marvel releases.

Phamit

I also had the impression that a lot of people got interested in Antman, at least the Blu Ray was suddenly in the top 5 on Amazon.de after Civil War

I will say once, and i will say it a thousand times. The first time Batman, SUperman, and Wonder Woman are on screen together and it doesn't do at least a billion? That shit should scare WB shitless

I mean, ultimately it's a glass half empty/half full kind of thing. They could also look at it and say "A Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman movie with terrible word of mouth and a ton of bad and negative press leading up to it's release made almost $900 million". That kind of gives them a pretty good floor going forward. Ultimately it depends on what changes WB makes going forward, but I don't think its the kind of thing that should cause them to burn the whole thing down, at least not yet. It was a huge disappointment, same with Xmen, but I wouldn't put them in the same kind of bomb territory as, say, Alice or probably Warcraft. Those movies are going to bomb so bad we aren't going to see future installments.

Debated on giving TMNT 2 a shot due to the nostalgia factor. But ultimately, I knew I would have probably hated it based on how much I did not care for that first film. Maybe next reboot.

BumRush

I mean, ultimately it's a glass half empty/half full kind of thing. They could also look at it and say "A Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman movie with terrible word of mouth and a ton of bad and negative press leading up to it's release made almost $900 million". That kind of gives them a pretty good floor going forward. Ultimately it depends on what changes WB makes going forward, but I don't think its the kind of thing that should cause them to burn the whole thing down, at least not yet. It was a huge disappointment, same with Xmen, but I wouldn't put them in the same kind of bomb territory as, say, Alice or probably Warcraft. Those movies are going to bomb so bad we aren't going to see future installments.

I think the poor WOM of the first will hurt future DC releases though. I hope I'm wrong but "fool me once..." and all that.

Slayven

No matter what it will be interesting to see what happens with Suicide Squad and Justice League

I think the poor WOM of the first will hurt future DC releases though. I hope I'm wrong but "fool me once..." and all that.

in general people's memories are shorter than that. I'm sure there is some taint, but if the next movie gets good word of mouth and good press leading up to it's release people won't care.

J_Viper

Jesus, and here I was earlier this year thinking Turtles would be a guaranteed hit. I guess more and more parents are taking RT into account.

Zoo is a great movie highly recommended

So, uh, there's actually a documentary named Zoo that's....you know what, never mind, don't look it up

Between Egypt, BvS, CW, Angry Birds, X-Men, Alice, TMNT and probably Warcraft, ID4-2, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strange and Rouge One this is really looking to be the Year of the Bomba.

Angry Birds has done well for itself internationally, CW is over a billion, BvS didn't do as well as it should have but it's far from a bomb and half the rest of the films are projected to do solidly well (SS, Strange, Rogue One).

Besides Egypt and Alice nothing you've mentioned has or likely will be a bomb WW.

Jesus, and here I was earlier this year thinking Turtles would be a guaranteed hit. I guess more and more parents are taking RT into account.

So, uh, there's actually a documentary named Zoo that's....you know what, never mind, don't look it up

I have. Its either one of the most horrifying films you'll ever see, or one of the most hilarious.

MrV4ltor

Ouch @ Alice, Popstar, Neighbors, Turtles and X-Men.
Yaaas @ Zootopia reaching the 1 billion!
And Angry Birds seems to be doing pretty decently for what it is.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think Warcraft can do $30M OW. The Conjuring will win the weekend easily.

I honestly don't think the general audience even separates Marvel and DC like that. Comic book movies are their own genre right now.

kswiston

My prediction is that Warcraft's domestic opening weekend will be less than Warcraft's first day gross in China.

Depending on how big a bomb it is domestically, and how big a hit it is in China, the domestic total might end up under China's first day.

I, somewhat, believe in Warcraft making a decent amount at the box office. China is gonna carry the movie.
They have Geoff Johns now so there not scared shitless just yet. I don't know how much control he'll have in steering their ship but for their best interest he better be in 100% full control. If Wonder Woman bombs someone at WB is gonna die.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Between Egypt, BvS, CW, Angry Birds, X-Men, Alice, TMNT and probably Warcraft, ID4-2, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strange and Rouge One this is really looking to be the Year of the Bomba.

So much wrong with this post. Rogue One is going to bomb?

32kCG59.gif

Popstar bombing makes me sad because I personally thought it was the best original comedy film of this decade in terms of sheer amount of laughs.
I guess the bomb should have been expected after Macgruber and Hot Rod both bombed. At least the critics liked it this time.
Their weird absurdist humour just doesn't work with a wide audience I guess.

Their weird absurdist humour just doesn't work with a wide audience I guess.

It really doesn't which makes me sad as fuck. Some of the scenes - the Macklemore "Same Love" spoof, Tonee Toni Tony Tonie?, the bee scene - were hilarious to me. I love comedies that pack a lot of comedy into each minute of running time and the film was great at its skewering of the industry it was satirizing.

That being said, another slightly absurdist film that I thought got short shrift this year was Zoolander 2. I wasn't especially a fan of the first one even, but I surprisingly enjoyed the sequel even in despite of the tepid reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom