• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•03-05•16 - Turtles Before Apocalypse. Popstar Never Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

L20no8v.png

EhCh8bz.png
Yesss they did it. 1 Billion.

Every few days I search google for "Angry Birds Movie Sequel" and nothing has even been hinted at. The movie has made back much more than its budget so it's only a matter of time now right? C'monnnn

BumRush

My prediction is that Warcraft's domestic opening weekend will be less than Warcraft's first day gross in China.

Depending on how big a bomb it is domestically, and how big a hit it is in China, the domestic total might end up under China's first day.

Lol. What % do companies make off Chinese BO? It's significantly less, right?

Opening day tickets sold out in China. If there was a country that would be more hyped for Warcraft than any other country around the world, it's China.
Every few days I search google for "Angry Birds Movie Sequel" and nothing has even been hinted at. The movie has made back much more than its budget so it's only a matter of time now right? C'monnnn

The marketing budget eclipses how much the movie cost to make. I don't think there close to making it back.

Mrbob

Popstar bombing makes me sad because I personally thought it was the best original comedy film of this decade in terms of sheer amount of laughs.
I guess the bomb should have been expected after Macgruber and Hot Rod both bombed. At least the critics liked it this time.
Their weird absurdist humour just doesn't work with a wide audience I guess.
I don't think the trailers did the movie any favor. I dismissed it as another dumb joke comedy movie based off the trailers and then did a double take on the RT score. I'll see Popstar when it is on video now instead of dismissing it all together.

Maybe it will have a crazy pitch perfect type of run but I doubt it.

I wonder if we'll get yet another Pacific Rim situation for Warcraft, in that it does well enough in China for a sequel to be announced, but it keeps getting pushed back and back until its quietly cancelled.

3N16MA

Banned
TMNT did a bit better than the initial weekend estimates but still disappointing.

Zootopia deserves the milestone. Great film.

kswiston

Yes. 25% in China vs around 55% in the US.

However the Chinese company Wanda owns Legenday Pictures, a major Theatre Chain in China, other Chinese media properties, and the AMC theatre chain in the US. On top of that, other Chinese media companies also have deals regarding Warcraft in China. So the calculation for that film is not straight forward. Warcraft is also getting pushed harder than most Hollywood films as a result.

Cwarrior

Antman, Spiderman, and Black Panther will see a Civil War Boost

Antman was amazing in Civil War, movie did great job creating new fans for him and panther.

Marvel does an amazing job establishing and respecting there lesser know heroes, turning them from C to mega stars.

DC can learn from that and Give "the Question" movie a dreamed of.

BumRush

Yes. 25% in China vs around 55% in the US.

However the Chinese company Wanda owns Legenday Pictures, a major Theatre Chain in China, other Chinese media properties, and the AMC theatre chain in the US. On top of that, other Chinese media companies also have deals regarding Warcraft in China. So the calculation for that film is not straight forward. Warcraft is also getting pushed harder than most Hollywood films as a result.

Very insightful! Thanks as always.

3N16MA

Banned
I can't believe Pacific Rim 2 was halted. With Legendary behind it and the solid performance at the Chinese BO, I would expect the sequel to do big numbers there.

Vyer

Anecdotally I asked a few acquaintances about Popstar. They laughed at the idea of seeing it. I asked why.

Apparently they didn't know it was a parody and thought it really was some sort of pop star teen movie.

Turtles was much better than the first in this series. It's too bad they didn't get a little reward for going nuts with it. I don't understand the tomato ranking for it either. It was flawed but fun.

kswiston

I can't believe Pacific Rim 2 was halted. With Legendary behind it and the solid performance at the Chinese BO, I would expect the sequel to do big numbers there.

It was halted before Legendary was sold. Pacific Rim 2 was supposed to go into production last October in Toronto after Suicide Squad wrapped up in August. The Trade unions there were expecting a ton of work that didn't happen.

I am expecting Pacific Rim 2 to resurface as a Chinese production or co-production.

Turtles was much better than the first in this series. It's too bad they didn't get a little reward for going nuts with it. I don't understand the tomato ranking for it either. It was flawed but fun.

Didn't it rank higher than the first one? It seems most people agree that it's a lot better, but still really bad.

3N16MA

Banned
It was halted before Legendary was sold. Pacific Rim 2 was supposed to go into production last October in Toronto after Suicide Squad wrapped up in August. The Trade unions there were expecting a ton of work that didn't happen.

I am expecting Pacific Rim 2 to resurface as a Chinese production or co-production.

I hope so.

Civil War isn't a disappointment for Disney. They will end up with a #11 of all time finish worldwide on what was scheduled to be a Captain America film by throwing Iron Man in it. A couple hundred million viewers also know who Black Panther is now.

Yep and have been primed on the new Spider-Man to boot.

3N16MA

Banned
Yep and have been primed on the new Spider-Man to boot.

CW introduced the new Spidey who has been received with positive reviews. Audiences now know of Black Panther who also seems to have been welcomed with open arms. Ant-Man watched his stock soar as he stole the show in his scenes (good for the sequel).

Disney is happy.

BumRush

I've considered that but, the budget was $73 million and it's made $286 million WW, surely the marketing wasn't more than $200 million?

It's not just production plus marketing that goes into cost though. As kswis mentioned a few posts ago, movies earn 55% of what they make domestically.

riotous

Banned
I kinda hope Lonely Island get another chance but also think maybe they should stick to 3 minute long music videos.

CW introduced the new Spidey who has been received with positive reviews. Audiences now know of Black Panther who also seems to have been welcomed with open arms. Ant-Man watched his stock soar as he stole the show in his scenes (good for the sequel).

Disney is happy.

Exactly. And the rest of the movie was damn good to boot.

Three properties put on paths to soar and the current group's reputation is flying high as ever.

Civil War is an unabashed success in multiple dimensions.

kswiston

Angry Birds is the sort of film that benefits from merchandising and will do relatively well on home video. $300-350M worldwide for that film is a decent result.

Most of the marketing budget was tie ins with McDonalds, fruit snacks, Yogurt, etc.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Pacific Rim came out three years ago. I don't think any Hollywood studio is going to greenlight a sequel to a movie that barely broke even after the number of sequel bombas this year. China alone wouldn't save it a next time.

It's not just production plus marketing that goes into cost though. As kswis mentioned a few posts ago, movies earn 55% of what they make domestically.
Shit, duh, didn't even think of the theater cut and other things like that. Well fingers are still crossed!

kswiston

Pirates has seen big drops on the domestic side but OS it continues to dominate. The franchise has two 1B films and another that just missed it. Much better foundation than Alice.

Waiting 6 years isnt going to help though. Back in May 2011, 3D films were still relatively novel too.

BumRush

I really think Disney should let pirates rest now. Focus on getting Indiana Jones back to a can't miss franchise.

3N16MA

Banned
Waiting 6 years isnt going to help though. Back in May 2011, 3D films were still relatively novel too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it missed 1B but I doubt it falls to the depths of Alice 2. I think the franchise is established enough to take a bit of an extended break unlike Alice.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
TIL that Pacific Rim 2 was cancelled :(

How did I miss that?

Maybe you missed it because it's not true?

Pacific Rim 2 is still in development, Del Toro has passed the director's chair to Steven DeKnight (Netflix Daredevil), and the guy who wrote Jurassic World is currently taking a pass at the script.

My SO was trying to get me to watch Me Before You with her, but thankfully she said it's fine if we watch it once it comes out for rent since it's not really a movie worth the theater.

Dodged a bullet? Or delaying the inevitable?

I'm jk she watches all my garbage movies with me like BvS so I'd do anything for her

Toothless

Let me try to predict the top five for the next three weeks:

June 10-12
1. The Conjuring 2 - 57.3M
2. Warcraft - 21.1M
3. Now You See Me 2 - 18.6M
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - 18.3M
5. X-Men: Apocalypse - 9.4M

June 17-19
1. Finding Dory - 127.6M
2. Central Intelligence - 51.5M
3. The Conjuring 2 - 24.6M
4. Now You See Me 2 - 10.2M
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - 9.0M
(Warcraft will come in at #6 with 8.0M)

June 24-26
1. Finding Dory - 70.2M
2. Independence Day: Resurgence - 68.8M
3. Central Intelligence - 24.7M
4. The Conjuring 2 - 13.8M
5. Now You See Me 2 - 5.4M

So I'd say box office will start looking a bit brighter, despite a double bomb next week.

kewlmyc

Between Egypt, BvS, CW, Angry Birds, X-Men, Alice, TMNT and probably Warcraft, ID4-2, Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters, Dr. Strange and Rouge One this is really looking to be the Year of the Bomba.

I don't think it's possible for a Marvel or Star Wars movie to flop nowadays. Even BvS, which a lot of people called BOMBA on is the 4th highest grossing movie of the year. It did gangbusters, just not as much as expected. The rest, probably.

It didn't help Popstar that, at least in my area, it only played in the older theaters that not many people go to. I wonder if that was true elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom