• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•23-25•15 - martian vs witches & ghosts rocks truly outrageous bomba office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude they ain't going to make a Dante Basco bio pic.

I would settle for a Prince Zuko standalone film.

Why is anyone surprised about this weekend's results? The last witch hunter movie looked like every other generic fantasy CGI fest (Eragon, Seventh Son, Hansel & Gretel, that one with Nicolas Cage).

Slayven

I would settle for a Prince Zuko standalone film.

Why is anyone surprised about this weekend's results? The last witch hunter movie looked like every other generic fantasy CGI fest (Eragon, Seventh Son, Hansel & Gretel, that one with Nicolas Cage).

It looked like it should have premiered on the SyFy channel.

El Topo

I love how the plot summary for The Last Witch Hunter at Wikipedia just ends after what must be the first twenty minutes of the movie. It's like someone started writing a summary and then realized he could spend his time better.

Slayven

I love how the plot summary for The Last Witch Hunter at Wikipedia just ends after what must be the first twenty minutes of the movie. It's like someone started writing a summary and then realized he could spend his time better.

It is like the person got up and walked

I think this weekend just proves that our tolerance for schlocky CGI monsters - with -guns films extends only as far as the bustlines of Kate Beckinsale and Mila Jovovich. And yes, that includes Van Helsing.

Blade tho

zdUqc.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
kinda shocked at Jobs underperforming. Fassbender gotta Magneto his arse for the remaining of his life

kswiston

Ant-Man is over $500M worldwide now. The Chinese gross will pass the $100M mark this weekend.

Matt accidentally posted about Spectre's record shattering debut in the UK in a month old Box Office thread. First day was 3x that of Skyfall in the UK.

This weekend will be another shitty weekend for the domestic box office. None of the 3 wide releases are expected to hit $10M. At least next weekend is November.

Saw The Last Witch Hunter last night.

I really hope this bombs. Awful movie. I liked the trailer and decided to give it a try. Maybe it's a cool brainless flick, right? NOPE. It sucks.

kswiston

Early Friday numbers from Deadline and Boxoffice.com are pointing to The Martian taking its fourth #1 placement in 5 weeks this weekend, and Goosebumps repeating at #2.

The three openers are expected to make about $12M combined this weekend, with the Bradley Cooper film taking about half of that. Our Brand is Crisis will be Sandra Bullock's worst wide release opening of all time.

Chris R

Steve Jobs is the worst part of Steve Jobs.

Interesting idea for the film, but I think it needed more stuff around the three launches.

Slayven

Early Friday numbers from Deadline and Boxoffice.com are pointing to The Martian taking its fourth #1 placement in 5 weeks this weekend, and Goosebumps repeating at #2.

The three openers are expected to make about $12M combined this weekend, with the Bradley Cooper film taking about half of that. Our Brand is Crisis will be Sandra Bullock's worst wide release opening of all time.
Looks like the Bumps are goosing folks

Saw The Last Witch Hunter last night.

I really hope this bombs. Awful movie. I liked the trailer and decided to give it a try. Maybe it's a cool brainless flick, right? NOPE. It sucks.

Breh

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) The Martian - $3.5M (-20%) - $175M total
2) Goosebumps - $3.1M (-23%) - $50M total
3) Bridge of Spies - $2.5M - $40M total
4) Burnt - $1.8M
5) Hotel Transylvania 2 - $1.8M - $152M total
6) The Last Witch Hunter - $1.5M (-61%) - $15M total
7) Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension - $1.2M - $11M total
8) Our Brand is Crisis - $1.1M
9) Crimson Peak - $960k - $26M total
10) Steve Jobs - $850k (-65%) - 13M total
11) The Intern - $735k - $67M total
12) Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - $710k

- Another weekend of flops
- Great holds for The Martian and Goosebumps. Expected hold for The Last Witch Hunter
- Horrible hold for Steve Jobs. That's the sort of hold you would expect from a comic book film in its second Friday, not a biopic drama aimed at adults. Expect it to be dumped from theatres en masse next weekend.

I'm glad Scouts Guide was a flop. Fucking terrible movie.
Maybe one of the worst movies that I've seen all year.
Terrible jokes, writing, characters, acting, directing. The whole movie is a dumpster fire.

pestul

I'm glad Scouts Guide was a flop. Fucking terrible movie.
Maybe one of the worst movies that I've seen all year.
Terrible jokes, writing, characters, acting, directing. The whole movie is a dumpster fire.
Yikes, Scouts Guide was on 1500 screens and it's avg was still below The Last Witch Hunter's second weekend. Big flop..

The Martian is doing really well.

The Last Witch Hunter shows that Vin Diesel´s stardom, and facebook following does not mean that people will watch his movie. The same goes for RDJ when he starred in the judge.

Ridley327

Yikes, Scouts Guide was on 1500 screens and it's avg was still below The Last Witch Hunter's second weekend. Big flop..

IIRC, it's got the same issue that the new Paranormal Activity has, in that it was announced ahead of time that it would be getting an early VOD release once a theater count threshold was reached after a couple of weeks. It could have been a masterpiece, and it still would have done poorly because most theaters aren't bothering to run it. That it's apparently a tire fire (truth in advertising, I guess!) doesn't do anything to help it at all.

kswiston

Borat made over $26M off of less than 840 theatres. Blair Witch was close to $30M off of about 1000 theatres. If people actually wanted to see Scouts Guide or Paranormal Activity they could have easily hit $15M openings with the restricted venue count.

SURGEdude

Scouts Guide is one of the most generic bandwagon hopping pieces of shit looking films I've seen in awhile. I actually thought it was one of those Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg terrible spoof films that somehow got a theatrical release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Last Witch Hunter shows that Vin Diesel´s stardom, and facebook following does not mean that people will watch his movie. The same goes for RDJ when he starred in the judge.

Or that the fanbase doesn't think it's worth paying $15 for a ticket to a multiplex when they can save that cash and get a Netflix sub for it to come out on instant-streaming and save cash on food/drinks to watch it with.

Feels like unless you're "Bond" or something on that level, it's not worth going to a theater to see "B"-level movies.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Martian - $11.4M - $183M total
2) Goosebumps - 10.2M - $57M total
3) Bridge of Spies - $8.1M - $45M total
4) Hotel Transylvania 2 - $5.8M - $156M total
5) Burnt - $5.0M
6) The Last Witch Hunter - $4.0M - $18M total
7) Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension - $3.5M - $14M total
8) Our Brand is Crisis - $3.4M
9) Crimson Peak - $3.1M - $28M total
10) Steve Jobs - $2.6M - $15M total
11) The Intern - $2.4M - $69M total
12) Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - $1.8M

xx) Jem and the Holograms - $290k (-79%) - $1.9M total (PTA for the entire weekend was $110, meaning the film averaged 14 tickets sold per venue. Less than 5 a day)

All 3 openers combined couldn't top The Martian's 5th weekend.

E the Shaggy

It's so strange to see Hollywood continue to try to stitch together these Frankenstein bombas by taking elements of what people like (Nostalgia = Jem and the Holograms, Zombies = Scout's Guide, etc) and just not give a shit about making even a competent movie.

Ridley327

Not much there to prop up. Based on the top 12, this is the worst October weekend since 1999.

Corpses won't stand up by themselves, you know!

Wow, that is a scary statistic. That year had some high profile underwhelming performers like Fight Club and Random Hearts, but quantity does matter here, and outside of The Martian and Goosebumps, nothing has gotten off the ground. Even Universal is having a bad month, though that is partially their own doing with how much of a disaster their marketing for Steve Jobs has been since it went wide.

I saw the reactions to people walking out of Paranormal Activity and I can tell you that franchise is done. It's time for Blumhouse to come up with a new gimmick.

kswiston

Martian and Goosebumps have basically been the top 2 films since the beginning of the month right?

Goosebumps is only 3 weeks old, so it's been either that or Hotel Transylvania in the top 2 with the Martian all month.

Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $514M ($102M in China) <- highlighting international growth, Ant-Man has now made more overseas than any of the Phase 1 films other than the Avengers
Crimson Peak - $62M
The Last Witch Hunter - $56M
Inside Out - $846M
Everest - $175M
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension - $51M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom