• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•23-25•15 - martian vs witches & ghosts rocks truly outrageous bomba office

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's our time!

Give me my WMAC Masters movie!!

Not until I get my Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills movie
tattoo-teen-fighters-team.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The limited release strategies for both the Walk and Steve Jobs seem to be big mistakes, especially considering there were huge ad blitzes for both of them (timed with the limited release, not the expansion).

I don't understand what they were thinking. The marketing for Jobs has almost entirely disappeared when most people can finally see it.

Dram

I don't think that was the problem. The problem was the movie comes off as something just trying to capitalize on the name while offering little to fans, and either way it looked like trash.
Yeah and yet the director kept saying the movie was a passion project for him.

Ridley327

I don't think that was the problem. The problem was the movie comes off as something just trying to capitalize on the name while offering little to fans, and either way it looked like trash.
Yeah, the ads make it look like every other "teens with a dream ascend to popularity" out there. For as crazy as the source material is, that's not what the 80s babies want, and no one else needs. The only saving grace was how cheap it was to make.

xaosslug

Don't the Paranormal Activity movies cost like 5 dollars to make?

Fuck at the rest of those bombs, though. Not shocked at all And Witch and Jem. Witch looked like shit and I had zero clue that Jem was even coming out this weekend.

yeah, the wrap had the budget for this at $10

The Jem movie came out 10 years too late. 80s kids are out. 90s kids are the new marketable demo.

the problem is that it wasn't 'Jem' enough to truly stroke the nostalgia piggy bank, and took itself way too seriously.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The problem is none of these movies look interesting at all. How does no one realise it.

I watched Sicario with some friends last night now that was fantastic. The video cut out for a few mins near the end and people were starting to get pretty upset. Lo and behold management handed out free movie voucher to everyone afterwards.

filmgoers are just saving their money for that 400 million opening for star wars.

Oh shit, that's a funny comparison to make, actually: Looking at the list, if we only use the IMAX numbers that were reported in Variety, The Force Awakens single day ticket sales on Monday would place it at #7 on this list for the weekend.

And that's just IMAX. It's probably safe to say it made 10 mil already for those Thursday previews, putting it right around #4 or #5 on this weekend's list.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $494M
The Visit - $89M
Jurassic World - $1.665B
Minions - $1.154B
Straight Outta Compton - $200M
Everest - $173M
Crimson Peak - $49M
Inside Out - $842M

Ant-Man is at $82M in China after 10 days. Pan is at $3.5M in China after 4-days (it won't even hit $10M total). WB actually wasted one of the 34 annual profit sharing quota slots in China on Pan.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
clearly the lesson to take away from Jem's failure is to stop making female-centric projects
Based on reading a few reviews, sounded like the only female character with true agency was the 'bad' guy, so let's pretend the lesson Hollywood takes is to do less of that.

Steve Jobs wasnt/isnt a likeable person nor interesting to general audiences. Hollywood´s obsession with him is annoying.

Zuckerberg wasn't likeable/interesting to most people either, but Social Network was a decent success. I don't think the likeability of the guy was the point. I think, as has been pointed out, the big problem is that there was a marketing campaign and general interest built up... for the sake of four cities. Two weeks later, when everyone can actually see the damn movie, there's nothing pointing people at it anymore.

I feel as though most people didn't know Steve Jobs was opening wide this weekend.
All the marketing was for the limited releases I feel and that hurt it.

jett

D-Member
Steve Jobs wasnt/isnt a likeable person nor interesting to general audiences. Hollywood´s obsession with him is annoying.

You could say the same thing (or worse) about Zuckerberg, and TSN was a big success. I disagree that Jobs's life story isn't interesting anyway. The book the movie is based on is great.

kswiston

The biography that the film is based on sold close to 400k copies in its first week. It was also the best selling book on Amazon during 2011.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pitch: 80s cult cartoon show. We make it a REVERSE HOT TUB TIME MACHINE meets PITCH PERFECT!

Executive: Interesting- but have you ever heard of this guy PewDiePie?

Zuckerberg wasn't likeable/interesting to most people either, but Social Network was a decent success. I don't think the likeability of the guy was the point. I think, as has been pointed out, the big problem is that there was a marketing campaign and general interest built up... for the sake of four cities. Two weeks later, when everyone can actually see the damn movie, there's nothing pointing people at it anymore.

Difference is that The Social Network was focused on the creation of Facebook, while the Jobs movies have been marketed as STEVE JOBS: THE MOVIE.

The biography that the film is based on sold close to 400k copies in its first week. It was also the best selling book on Amazon during 2011.

The book was released two weeks after he died. Thats the "dead celebrity dies unexpectedly" effect.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

that's the heath ledger effect. the dark knight would not have made so much if it had been released four years after ledger died.

also, people who read do not watch movies.

kswiston

The Martian is at $385M worldwide after this weekend, making it Ridley Scott's third biggest film to date. It should pass Prometheus some time this coming week for #2.

The Maze Runner Scorch Trials is sitting at $268M worldwide. It doesn't look like it will hit the numbers of the first film internationally either.

also, people who read do not watch movies.

This is an odd opinion to take considering how often books with big WOM sales translate into hit movies.

Difference is that The Social Network was focused on the creation of Facebook, while the Jobs movies have been marketed as STEVE JOBS: THE MOVIE.

I don't know that this distinction is really any distinction. Zuckerberg's (Eisenberg) face was THE POSTER. The entirety of it. His face, and some text. People knew it was the facebook movie. His face = facebook. Jobs has been synonymous with Apple for multiple decades now. I don't understand how any of this is any different.

There's no real difference in the difference you're trying to argue. It's the same shit. If there's a difference, it's that the media push for Social Network didn't completely cut out for two weeks after a limited run in a tiny amount of theaters.

They should have opened it wide immediately, basically. Especially if they'd poured all that time and energy into pushing it.

Jigorath

Banned

The Social Network was marketed around whether or not Zuckerberg had "stolen" Facebook. There was a hook there that the Steve Jobs movie lacked.

Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $494M
The Visit - $89M
Jurassic World - $1.665B
Minions - $1.154B
Everest - $173M
Crimson Peak - $49M
Inside Out - $842M

Ant-Man is at $82M in China after 10 days. Pan is at $3.5M in China after 4-days (it won't even hit $10M total). WB actually wasted one of the 34 annual profit sharing quota slots in China on Pan.

Should have gone with Fury Road.

B-Dex

Good that Jem bombed. Shows that people won't eat up your garbage when you absolutely disrespect the source material.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
As a few said, there was no indication of Jobs even being in theaters unless you looked.

Jobs is definitely a solid film, if a bit a different one. Quite enjoyed it

Completely happy with the top 3.

The Social Network was marketed around whether or not Zuckerberg had "stolen" Facebook. There was a hook there that the Steve Jobs movie lacked.

It would have flopped too had it been marketed as "The Biography of Mark Zuckerberg". People dont care about these geeks and their lives.

Son Of D

Worldwide Updates:

Ant-Man - $494M
The Visit - $89M
Jurassic World - $1.665B
Minions - $1.154B
Everest - $173M
Crimson Peak - $49M
Inside Out - $842M

Glad to see Inside Out with such big numbers. What's the final number looking like?

Ridley327

It seems like Steve Jobs is the first outright miscalculation that Universal has made this year, if you can forgive the likes of Blackhat and Seventh Son as inherited issues from Legendary's time at WB. It's still got a lot of awards hype, but they bungled the marketing for sure.

JABEE

I would also say in my area Steve Jobs didn't get many showings compared to what you would see for a new marquee film release

kswiston

Glad to see Inside Out with such big numbers. What's the final number looking like?

Pretty much where it is now. I don't think Inside Out has any markets left to open in. It made $10M over the past week, so I guess a finish of $850-860M is probable.

Kimawolf

The Last Witch Hunter felt like a movie which belonged in 2006 or something. Just had the feeling of one of those movies where you would expect to be set in Eastern Europe with Jason Statham and some unknown European actress.

I enjoyed it for what it was but yeah not surprised at the box office at all.

I did think Paranormal Activity 6 was going to do better even with half of movie chains not showing it due to the being scared of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom