• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•23-25•15 - martian vs witches & ghosts rocks truly outrageous bomba office

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

As someone whose childhood was dominated by nostalgia pandering to 80s kids, this is interesting.

It would explain In Living Color and Saved By The Bell being back in syndication.
(No complaints here.)

And yeah, Jem should've just gone all in and made a batshit crazy Kung Fury style movie. If you're gonna bomb, bomb in style.

Probably studio interference, though.

kswiston

So we have enough info to get a rough idea where the first two films that were part of GAF's Winter Box Office game will land:

The Martian: >$210M
Crimson Peak:~$35M

BlackRock

The Martian is a fantastic film and deserves all of its success. Scott redeemed himself for the abysmal Prometheus, and has made another science fiction masterpiece. I am cautiously optimistic about his upcoming Aliens project now that he seems to have his mojo back.

Steve Jobs missed the Steve Jobs craze. It's been too long and there have been too many other Steve Jobs films since his death. It's getting solid reviews, so perhaps it will pick up some steam next weekend, but I think it just missed the window of opportunity.

BlackRock

To them it was about Facebook

I agree. The marketing of The Social Network focussed very much on Facebook. It was sold as the story of a company that exploded from a dorm room to billion dollar company with penetration into the fabric of our culture in less than a decade. That's what the marketing pushed. It wasn't marketed as a biopic of Zuckerberg, even though the film is an interesting character study of him (with debatable accuracy). Steve Jobs marketing isn't very focussed on the story of building Apple or iDevices, which was probably a mistake. It's very much focussed on Steve Jobs himself.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Social Network was marketed around whether or not Zuckerberg had "stolen" Facebook. There was a hook there that the Steve Jobs movie lacked.
Yeah, I don't think you can understate The Social Network being centered around, and being sold on, the questions about Facebook's birth. There was an intrigue there, and it was about far more recent events.

The lack of those hooks, plus the marketing timing, are what hurt Steve Jobs.

zeopower6

People were so excited about Jem initially and then the trailer came out a while ago causing everyone to tune out. It's this strange Hannah Montana-ish story with a very loose Jem affiliation. It really says something when the Jiz spoof trailer is way more entertaining than what the movie ended up being.

Maybe people just aren't that interested in Steve Jobs anymore as far as the general public goes? Then again, the Kutcher one didn't do that well either. Comparing it to The Social Network isn't really fair since there was definitely a hook for the general audience.

With how big Facebook was (and still is, kind of), the marketing was pretty on point.

gCy2jh6.jpg

kswiston

So, discounting the Saw 10th anniversary special re-release that no one went to, Jem and the Holograms and Rock the Kasbah had the 3rd and 4th worst openings of all time for a film released in at least 2000 theatres. Only Delgo and Oogieloves were worse. We are Your Friends can now claim that it was only the third worst opening of 2015.

If Universal put Jem in 87 more venues, it would have been the worst opening of all time for a film with 2500+ theatres.

Farmboy

Adding the limited release grosses to Steve Jobs means it's made almost 10 million. Still disappointing but I think that's a slightly more fair total to compare to the opening of the Kutcher version -- and doing so shows that the gap is more significant. But obviously, it was hurt by the existence of that film.

The Martian is a fantastic film and deserves all of its success. Scott redeemed himself for the abysmal Prometheus, and has made another science fiction masterpiece. I am cautiously optimistic about his upcoming Aliens project now that he seems to have his mojo back.

Agreed, though I do feel some of that mojo was still in evidence in Promotheus. I didn't like it either, but the Caesarian surgery sequence, viewed in isolation, is actually a pretty kickass horror short.

Oersted

Shame, The Last With Hunter was pretty fun.

Witch Hunter had some of the worst advertising I have ever seen. Remember the McCarthy movie Spy? While the trailers have been extremely missleading aka underselling it, they atleast set the tone more or less right.
Or Tomorrowland. A marketing flop, but even that was better.
Witchhunter tells me close to nothing. Cast(besides Diesel), story, tone... no hint. Nothing. Jackshit.

kswiston

Adding the limited release grosses to Steve Jobs means it's made almost 10 million. Still disappointing but I think that's a slightly more fair total to compare to the opening of the Kutcher version -- and doing so shows that the gap is more significant. But obviously, it was hurt by the existence of that film.

The Ashton Kutcher version was a $12M film. Steve Jobs was $30M

Maybe people just aren't that interested in Steve Jobs anymore as far as the general public goes?

def this i think. plus for as popular he was and how liked he was, a story of a tech businessman is a hard sell.

social network did well because zuckerberg doesn't exactly seem like a businessman, does he?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I am pretty sure Kwinston said the Pacifier was his only none FF hit.

Hes got guardians of the galaxy (hardly counts I know) and XXX which I think I saw recently that it was going to get a sequel

But to be fair to him he doesn't actually do that many films outside of the Riddick and F&F franchises

JC Lately

I don't think that was the problem. The problem was the movie comes off as something just trying to capitalize on the name while offering little to fans, and either way it looked like trash.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Rainbow Rocks is a better Jem movie than the actual Jem movie.

Hes got guardians of the galaxy (hardly counts I know) and XXX which I think I saw recently that it was going to get a sequel

But to be fair to him he doesn't actually do that many films outside of the Riddick and F&F franchises

I wonder if this puts the brakes on XXX. The first one did ok, but that was over a decade ago and it's not exactly a franchise that pumps out toys and videogames.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I wonder if this puts the brakes on XXX. The first one did ok, but that was over a decade ago and it's not exactly a franchise that pumps out toys and videogames.

No idea tbh
I would imagine that its more of a safe bet as he will be in a standard action role so it should be able to get more of the FF crowd
But theres really not been much announced about the project at all

Akahige

The Last Witch Hunter is one of those movies I sort of want to see but I can't imagine going to the theater and paying 8 dollars to see.

Plus I can't imagine that it will be as ridiculously stupid but entertaining as Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom