• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine Trailer [Leak]

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
On one hand sure, but when you think about it, how often in the past would western devs attempt to recreate what Japanese character action games did only to fall short and be criticized for it? Even the original GoW couldn’t escape DMC fans bringing up how it was an inferior character action game.

Now high profile western devs finally found their niche within the character action genre and it’s working well for them…and now you’re asking them to go back to what they used to do, just so that they can do it not as good as the eastern devs lol.
I actually most people liked old God of War games and most DMC fan criticize the combat for not bing as deep as DMC, it has nothing to with the camera.

I'm just start to see these game blend together and I personally dont like when camera this close to a character in melee based combat system..

Here is another game called "Blight" also use exact camera system and also has melee combat.....think about if Elden Ring using this camera fighting Malenia.
ss_64b2e2061e03722c7829233f6dfaca5c64fe36ec.1920x1080.jpg

Edit: Also why wolverine is sneaking around the bushes? I dont read Marvel comics but isn't he immortal and his all about charging at the enemy instead of be sneaky like Batman or Spider Man?

Last edited:

Maddoxswe

What does that have to do with anything? Game is not ready but so is Hellblade 2 and it looks how it looks.
Like i said the trailer quality is too shitty to say anything anyways.
You understand that they are in different phase of their development, right ?

Doom85

I actually most people liked old God of War games and most DMC fan criticize the combat for not bing as deep as DMC, it has nothing to with the camera.

I'm just start to see these game blend together and I personally dont like when camera this close to a character in melee based combat system..

Here is another game called "Blight" also use exact camera system and also has melee combat.....think about if Elden Ring using this camera fighting Malenia.

Edit: Also why wolverine is sneaking around the bushes? I dont read Marvel comics but isn't he immortal and his all about charging at the enemy instead of be sneaky like Batman or Spider Man?

We’ll agree to disagree on the camera thing.

No, honestly I hate when writers just have Wolverine always immediately charge at the enemy, because it’s a writing tactic I started pick up on where they’d have Wolverine get immediately bodied by whoever Wolverine was charging at just to show “how powerful” this threat was. Especially considering Wolverine has trained in martial arts (one of his most famous comics has him in Japan, the second Wolverine film was influenced by it), he’s not a moron who just runs and slashes. I’m not saying an enemy couldn’t potentially say a particularly rage-inducing thing that might have Logan throw caution to the wind, but he shouldn’t be just always charging at every single enemy he spots.

What they’ve shown in the trailer is definitely faithful to who Logan is under good writers.

The camera is part of a game’s gameplay experience. It’s why third person shooters don’t quite feel like first person shooters even if they have the same movement systems.

Also of course there were fans of the original GoW, I’m not implying the opposite. However when the series first debuted, the immediate comparisons were with DMC and in the end quite a few people usually stated how GoW was inferior to it, and fans of DMC would state worse things. That was a literal thing back then.

I think that quite a few western developers love shooters, they love the camera system third person shooters use, and they excel at creating games with that particular viewpoint.

It was a seriously smart idea for some western devs to finally sit down and say ‘how can we make an action game our own way, and have it feel as intricate, personal, and engaging as a third person shooter like Gears’. And they did it successfully imo.

You mention Elden Ring, but you have to realize that Elden Ring wouldn’t even be the same game if it had that screenshot’s TPS camera. You would have to change Elden Ring’s entire gameplay structure, level structure, and enemy encounters/animations because it would be an entirely different game.

This is why I say that camera style goes hand in hand with gameplay.

What I think some people here really want is for a slight iteration/evolution on the GoW 2018 style of combat. They solved a lot about the combat from that angle but it feels like they haven’t solved everything there is to solve. Maybe someone else will. Not sure if it will be Insomniac though.

Toots

Gold Member
Repeat after me:
Games in development are not representative of the final game

(I can't believe this still needs to be said, it's a leak, we aren't supposed to see any of this)
Yeah just like when you entered your parents room after having a nightmare.
But we all saw it so why pretending it's not the case ?
Plus I don't care i bitched on Indiana Jones trailer i can bitch on this one even if unofficial.

GymWolf

The camera in souls games has its fair share of problems aswell, let's not act like from souls have perfect camera all the time just because it's less zoomed in.

Part of the challenge in these games is also figthing the camera.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The camera in souls games has its fair share of problems aswell, let's not act like from souls have perfect camera all the time just because it's less zoomed in.

Part of the challenge in these games is also figthing the camera.
Sure, Darkbeast Paarl in Bloodborne gave me issues because of the camera, same with Fire Giant in Elden Ring but even then I 1000 times prefer that over what new God of War did with the camera.

angrod14

In for the Gender Studies graduate podcast. Not day one though, four months later after they patch NG+ into the game.

GymWolf

Sure, Darkbeast Paarl in Bloodborne gave me issues because of the camera, same with Fire Giant in Elden Ring but even then I 1000 times prefer that over what new God of War did with the camera.
I don't have a preference, they both shat the bed for different things.

But souls game are not even close to be the games i would use in a comparison about excellent camera systems.

FunkMiller

I think half the problem here is that Wolverine isn't exactly the most interesting of characters in terms of combat variation. He has in-built weapons that never need upgrading, has a healing factor that renders most damage moot, and mostly just beserks at people.

Great on the comic page and on the movie screen... maybe not so much as a playable character? I don't see how combat doesn't become very boring, very fast in this game.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I think half the problem here is that Wolverine isn't exactly the most interesting of characters in terms of combat variation. He has in-built weapons that never need upgrading, has a healing factor that renders most damage moot, and mostly just beserks at people.

Great on the comic page and on the movie screen... maybe not so much as a playable character? I don't see how combat doesn't become very boring, very fast in this game.
I found Spider-Man's combat boring and repetitive, and didn't care to use any of the upgraded abilities. I think with Wolverine's combat it will be at least satisfying in terms of its brutality. I just hope it's a linear experience, and not open world.

Last edited:

Hugare

That Wolverine game from Raven some generations ago was pretty great. But it was a fun B-movie kind of product. We should expect more now from Insomniac.

And I'm not seeing it. As others have mentioned, the camera is too damn close. Gameplay looks so samey. Everything is so ... bland.

Feels like it will play like the old GOW games (square square triangle), zero variety, but with a more "cinematic" camera and cutscene galore.

For now, I'll pass

Puscifer

What's the phenomena called where the idea of something is better than the reality.

The more I see of the game the more I'm kind of like...
larry-david-unsure.gif

edit: It was mostly the music putting a damper on the action now that I watched it again.
I love Bjork but I hate this damn cover so much. None of her songs translate well and I wish it would stop being used.

This is not a "trailer" but a concept gameplay for internal use, probably for Disney or PS Studios management.

How can you see these alpha animations and still believe this is the actual version?

It looks interesting to me, conceptually. Similar to GOW, because the character is a bit like Kratos.

The only problem is the lack of variety of weapons and movesets. Wolverine is a one-trick pony.

N30RYU

I don't understand why sony made a state of play about a game released in two weeks and can't make one about this one if they knew all the info leaked.

Game looks on point... but nothing they couldn't release also on PS4 tbh

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Looks boring and uninspired.
I guess I'm over the whole third person action, western motif.
There will be a weak attack, some cool finisher animations, stealth kills, detective vision.
I understand Wolverine and how his power set allows for all these things... Its all just so oversaturated at this point. Maybe if they had did this game a decade ago.

LastBattle

I know it’s early and unfinished, but that really did nothing for me. This third person Sony Shtick is beginning to get old.

Slimboy Fat

So this is not an open-world game? It will surely live and die by its combat system

Also how can some of you call this direction "cringey"? Let's recall their last games have been whoop-die-doo teenage Peter Parker saves NYC by being a hecking wholesome Zoomerboi that supports disabled bipoc street artists

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
This looks fanmade rather than an internal teat trailer. The leaked Elden Ring Trailer has many scenes used in the final trailer

Nickolaidas

Looks borish and cringey... I'm losing hope in this Wolverine game little by little...
The people who are making this game don't believe in and/or like the character it's supposedly based on, and it shows.

Expect Logan to be completely deconstructed and cucked (we already see him getting saved by a chick once in just this trailer), be replaced by the end of the sequel by a strong woman which will represent some sexual/ethnic minority and then hear a dev say that X23 replacing Logan in the games was the plan all along.

So fucking tired of this shit.

Last edited:
My most glaring concern is who will Wolvernine be pitted against?

I'm not down for hacking through generic hand-like ninjas the whole game.

Where's Omega Red? Alpha Flight? Yuriko?

They shoulda done Madripoor Knights.

/rant

ProtoByte

Gameplay looks fun. Lot of environmental collision and breakability already.

My most glaring concern is who will Wolvernine be pitted against?

I'm not down for hacking through generic hand-like ninjas the whole game.

Where's Omega Red? Alpha Flight? Yuriko?

They shoulda done Madripoor Knights.

/rant
You... didn't see much of the leak eh? Don't look into it too much, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when the game comes out. They're not skrimping on mutants.

Top Bottom