• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise interest thread

Ramirez said:
Really? I could have swore I forced myself to get used to the D-pad because I couldn't change it, hmph.

I still want to be able to turn GF off, havin to manually go to the playcall screen every single freaking down was so annoying.

it gave me the option at the start of the game to turn gameflow off

BigAT

Ramirez said:
Really? I could have swore I forced myself to get used to the D-pad because I couldn't change it, hmph.

I still want to be able to turn GF off, havin to manually go to the playcall screen every single freaking down was so annoying.
How long did you end up playing for last year? They patched in the ability to turn it off, it wasn't there initially.

I'm annoyed that calling audibles are still done with the shitty, inefficient way. It's so much quicker in the NCAAs and Madden 10.

McNei1y

LJ11 said:
I played one game, hate the D-pad stuff but I guess I could get used to it.

Used GB specifically for the 3-4 book, what's the deal with the cover 3? In most 3-4 formations you have to rush 4 when choosing Cover 3. Pretty fucking retarded, if I want to sit with 4 under and 3 deep it's my choice, don't force me to rush one of my OLB.

Shit is predictable, you know which OLB is coming based on over/even/under/whatever. In the past, in 3-4 even, the SS squatted deep in the box so I didn't need flat responsibility on most plays, I brought whichever OLB I wanted at the line, sometimes both. The way it's set up now, this isn't an option.

Hate limitations, it's like EA is going out of their way to force you to use their plays and not get creative. It's silly that if a guy goes no huddle and I want to adjust a simple base coverage, I can't do it and they know which LB is coming.

/rant over.

I noticed this too. I didn't search much of the Packers playbook but if all cover-3 is like this in 3-4 then that is pretty damn lame.

Smokey said:
graphics are bad mang. slowdown in the replays. dat horrible "hair" coming out of the helmets.

I will agree that the hair is god awful and that some of the player models are bordering on NFL Blitz levels of roids.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Has anyone tried a pass out into the flats? I used the Bears last night, the AI Packers bring heat on almost every play. My issue here is that even if the route has Forte turning up field before the ball gets to him, he still stops then takes off again. Not a huge deal in the demo but it definitely gobbles up a few yards on the tail end.

I don't get the comments stating that the passing and running "feel" much better. Can't judge the running game too well as it's two teams that don't really excel there. Passing game is ok if a bit floaty. Haven't had much success trying to lead guys all that much, however the QBs both move way too fast. Scrambling will be a problem this year. For the guys saying it feels better, did you adjust the difficulty so you aren't playing on "pro" difficulty?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Wellington said:
however the QBs both move way too fast. Scrambling will be a problem this year. For the guys saying it feels better, did you adjust the difficulty so you aren't playing on "pro" difficulty?

I was wondering what Cutler's speed rating is, it was way too easy to burst out of the pocket for an easy 8 yards most times. I played on all-pro. I was able to lead passes deep over the top of coverage, but had a hard time being accurate trying to lead left or right.

BigAT

I moved it up to All Pro. The main reason I say passing felt better was because I was actually able to use touch passes to drop passes in over the linebackers but before the safeties. I hate that in these games it tends to be either an absolute bullet pass or the quarterback punting the ball so that it hangs in the air for 5 seconds.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BigAT said:
I moved it up to All Pro. The main reason I say passing felt better was because I was actually able to use touch passes to drop passes in over the linebackers but before the safeties. I hate that in these games it tends to be either an absolute bullet pass or the quarterback punting the ball so that it hangs in the air for 5 seconds.
How're you executing that? I keep getting the damned punts when trying to break the Bears Cover 2. Outs and Posts work well, but if I'm running a go with my outside guy I should be able to get it into the soft spot rather than launch the thing right into the safety's zone.

BigAT

Wellington said:
How're you executing that? I keep getting the damned punts when trying to break the Bears Cover 2. Outs and Posts work well, but if I'm running a go with my outside guy I should be able to get it into the soft spot rather than launch the thing right into the safety's zone.
Maybe it doesn't work so well on the outside, when it was working well for me it was on deep middle routes.

Played on All-Pro last night and enjoyed it a lot more than last year on that level. Really hard to judge if the run game has improved until we get hold of some good run teams. I remember last year where I was able to run all over Pittsburgh's defense on all-pro using the Falcons. Turner had 200+ yards the first game (lots of BIG runs), that's when I knew Madden 11 was garbage.

DCX

DCX
BigAT said:
Maybe it doesn't work so well on the outside, when it was working well for me it was on deep middle routes.
Exactly. A laser pass would work better against a cover two, just have to watch that olb..maybe move him if its the te side with a slant or drag unless its a zone then a route towards the middle of the field would be better.

DCX

Striker

BigAT said:
How long did you end up playing for last year? They patched in the ability to turn it off, it wasn't there initially.

I'm annoyed that calling audibles are still done with the shitty, inefficient way. It's so much quicker in the NCAAs and Madden 10.
NCAA's UI for the playbook design is also better. You can view the plays and routes clearer. in the Madden '12 demo, they're all dark.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just like in NCAA, I cannot see the directional arrows on the D-Pad for the PS3 version. Otherwise, the two versions are virtually identical.

LukeSmith

That in two different games, made in the same building, there are two different ways to call audibles at the line of scrimmage is the metaphorical embodiment for some of the problems the NCAA/Madden teams are running headlong into at the design level.

Disappointing.

eznark

Banned
Striker said:
NCAA's UI for the playbook design is also better. You can view the plays and routes clearer. in the Madden '12 demo, they're all dark.

I like that they animated the player shifts in the formation when you switch formations and sub-sets in the playbook.

I'm easily amused.

BigAT

LukeSmith said:
That in two different games, made in the same building, there are two different ways to call audibles at the line of scrimmage is the metaphorical embodiment for some of the problems the NCAA/Madden teams are running headlong into at the design level.

Disappointing.
How about the fact that pump fake and throw away have been on opposite buttons for years now. I've taken so many unnecessary sacks in both titles by pressing the wrong button when I'm desperately scrambling away from pressure. Even now just writing this it takes me a few seconds to think out which title uses which.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BigAT said:
How about the fact that pump fake and throw away have been on opposite buttons for years now. I've taken so many unnecessary sacks in both titles by pressing the wrong button when I'm desperately scrambling away from pressure. Even now just writing this it takes me a few seconds to think out which title uses which.
This. It is as if they are purposefully jerking our chains.

LukeSmith

DenogginizerOS said:
This. It is as if they are purposefully jerking our chains.

I think it's probably each team believes their way is the right way, and rather than one side acquiescing in the name of a better overall player experience for their consumers, we end up with this.

OR they have really hard-to-change controller schemes (seems unlikely since NCAA's controls are mostly customizable)

the madden team needs to get advice from the NCAA team on how to handle scrambling QB's and how to build a competent pass defense.

although this is just a demo so perhaps these things are ironed out in the final version

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the madden team needs to get advice from the NCAA team on how to handle scrambling QB's and how to build a competent pass defense.

although this is just a demo so perhaps these things are ironed out in the final version

You could say they are since the NCAA team or at least part of them is taking Madden over for next year's version.

Smokey

Wellington said:
Has anyone tried a pass out into the flats? I used the Bears last night, the AI Packers bring heat on almost every play. My issue here is that even if the route has Forte turning up field before the ball gets to him, he still stops then takes off again. Not a huge deal in the demo but it definitely gobbles up a few yards on the tail end.

I don't get the comments stating that the passing and running "feel" much better. Can't judge the running game too well as it's two teams that don't really excel there. Passing game is ok if a bit floaty. Haven't had much success trying to lead guys all that much, however the QBs both move way too fast. Scrambling will be a problem this year. For the guys saying it feels better, did you adjust the difficulty so you aren't playing on "pro" difficulty?
Was playing on all pro and all Madden. It felt like the line blocked much better and didnt have to do so much dancing around to get through a gap.

Mrbob

Smokey said:
Was playing on all pro and all Madden. It felt like the line blocked much better and didnt have to do so much dancing around to get through a gap.

The new demo feel will soon wear off, and all of Madden's warts will come back.

LiveWire

LukeSmith said:
I think it's probably each team believes their way is the right way, and rather than one side acquiescing in the name of a better overall player experience for their consumers, we end up with this.

OR they have really hard-to-change controller schemes (seems unlikely since NCAA's controls are mostly customizable)

It's kinda sad that we as amateur fans of the game can have more productive, high-level commentary on development than the actual Madden development team. Or you know, with SableStats, actual game development better than paid professionals.

And this isn't like it's some small PC developer that ran out of money and closed up shop and couldn't patch up their game. This is EA, the House That Madden Built. smh

bluemax

Banned
CB3 said:
To you two, almost beating me is a lasting memory.

To me, its just tuesday.

I honestly don't remember how I did against people from year to year (except that I've never beaten the Stealers).

BigAT said:

This throw has driven me nuts for all eternity in video football. Its like, oh hey my dude is open between the napping LBer and the Safety. Throw the ball, LBer jumps up and picks it/tips it. Blergh.

bluemax

Banned
storybook77 said:
I only remember our games always being nail biters.

Yeah, you and Astrolad have always provided me with my closest most, edge of the seat games.

With everyone else it tends to be pretty lopsided against me I think, except those random times the Madden gods let me win by only throwing 10 passes against the Raiders because virtual LT decides he won't be going down on first or second contact.

LiveWire

bluemax said:
This throw has driven me nuts for all eternity in video football. Its like, oh hey my dude is open between the napping LBer and the Safety. Throw the ball, LBer jumps up and picks it/tips it. Blergh.

Maybe you should just learn to pass.

Nothing personal (I totally agree with you)--I've been saying this for years and that's the feedback I've received so just "passing" it along

Ramirez

BigAT said:

Ah yea, I remember the patch now. I think by that time I had gotten used to it I guess.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
it gave me the option at the start of the game to turn gameflow off

Yea, but you could turn it off in last years game as well, just not in OF...

LJ11

DCX said:
All pro for me..I won 27-23. Cutler ran for like 45 yards.

DCX

HAHA, dude was moving like Vick, not joking either.

I played two more games before bed, and I too felt the run game was better. You can see bubbles/space better. Seemed like the OL would turn the DL where one would expect, FB AI is still pretty shit. You can influence his blocking assignment based on which way you start to move, just like you could in the past. Once you go one way, he peels off in the same direction.

Best part about the game is the tackling, it feels like the D attacks a ball carrier and doesn't just chase.

Edit: Another reason I liked the run game was probably due to a bug. When you flip a weak side zone block, the full back doesn't change his assignment. The retarded zone runs, where the full back is supposed to cut the back side end but never does, can now be useful (at least in the demo).

Rorschach

Lol @ inception-esque music and sounds from menu to menu...

FrenchMovieTheme said:

By having spys overshoot them every time and would be tackler rub up against them instead of attempting tackles? Or by having the spin move be some of gravitational push that tosses defenders aside without the QB touching them?

[edit] Cutler hasn't tried to run on me once so far.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Yea, but you could turn it off in last years game as well, just not in OF...
EA:
x17FW.gif

McNei1y

Rodgers is dirty. I've been throwing perfect post passes to Jennings. It must be nice knowing some teams will have dirty QB-WR combos. I mean Rodgers threaded some needles on some passes to Greg. It was a thing of beauty.

Rorschach

How do you kick? I got it right like two times, and now nothing...

Rodgers is such a beast. Feels soooo good being able to zip balls after the noodles I had to work with in NCAA.

Ramirez

Yea, I don't think NCAA handles scrambling QBs that well either, I've seen plenty of times where my AI just looks at them, then decides to pursue them 2-3 seconds later when they're 15 yards down field.

Looks like CB just got another cheese notch added to his belt of tricks, Vick will be a nightmare going off of Cutler/Rodgers in the demo.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Ramirez said:
Yea, I don't think NCAA handles scrambling QBs that well either, I've seen plenty of times where my AI just looks at them, then decides to pursue them 2-3 seconds later when they're 15 yards down field.

Looks like CB just got another cheese notch added to his belt of tricks, Vick will be a nightmare going off of Cutler/Rodgers in the demo.

Rushing with QB's isnt my thing. Passing the ball is always my goal. Even when i scramble its to avoid pressure and buy time to get it down the field.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Rorschach said:
How do you kick? I got it right like two times, and now nothing...

Rodgers is such a beast. Feels soooo good being able to zip balls after the noodles I had to work with in NCAA.

it's just like an old golf meter, just be ready for the slower movement at the top of the meter. The accuracy section/target doesn't appear until you hit the power amount at the top.

Rorschach

Wish I could show stats. :\ No Cutler runs so far. Cutler watch in effect!

levious said:
it's just like an old golf meter, just be ready for the slower movement at the top of the meter. The accuracy section/target doesn't appear until you hit the power amount at the top.
That's what I thought, but it doesn't let me hit the acc. :\

Ramirez said:

That's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming patch, isn't it?

Ramirez

storybook77 said:
That's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming patch, isn't it?

I haven't read the notes, I just know that in my game with Husker, his QB killed me on scrambles, and my guys kinda just had their hands in their pants on most of them. When's that patch supposed to hit anyways?

I'm going to hold you to that CB, Vick to have -10 rushing yards in season 1.

Ramirez said:
I haven't read the notes, I just know that in my game with Husker, his QB killed me on scrambles, and my guys kinda just had their hands in their pants on most of them. When's that patch supposed to hit anyways?

By the end of the month is all we know.

CB3

Ramirez said:

Not quite, but im sure you can ask the guys i play against alot over the years with McNabb and even Vick in madden 10 (CK, AT, FMT), i dont really scramble. Atleast not as much as i could. If its 1st and 10 i rather get a 6 yard pass completion than get a 9 yard rush putting my QB on the line to get hurt

Rorschach

You tried to scramble a lot in our games. You would sub in Vick just for that purpose. It was a dead giveaway that you weren't even going to try to pass, so it didn't work. :D

CB3

Rorschach said:
You tried to scramble a lot in our games. You would sub in Vick just for that purpose. It was a dead giveaway that you weren't even going to try to pass, so it didn't work. :D

Considering in madden 10 i could have only played you maybe twice? Im pretty sure the sample size for you isnt huge.

Although you did remind me i had some packages for vick. Especially if Donovan would start short hopping balls (Madden 10 extra realistic!)

But even when i would put Vick in throwing was my first priority.

Top Bottom