• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Lie in April (Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso) IOTI Life is Colorful

Recently checked what this is. They sure embrace the teal and orange schtick relentlessly. It's fine in the end. They're complimentary after all. Just can't unsee it in movies once you figure it out. (Do not google "teal and orange" if you don't want movie viewing negatively affected for the rest of your life.)

Good animation quality, but between those good parts there is a lot of internal monologue with repeating still shots and animations. Shows how a studio manages a budget which is interesting for educational purposes. Sure hope it moves past woe-is-me monologue syndrome found in many shows. Get this teal and orange plot moving!

Good animation quality, but between those good parts there is a lot of internal monologue with repeating still shots and animations. Shows how a studio manages a budget which is interesting for educational purposes. Sure hope it moves past woe-is-me monologue syndrome found in many shows. Get this teal and orange plot moving!

It doesn't. Quit while you're ahead. I'm a fan of the show and even I sometimes just sigh and roll my eyes since the monologue happens every fuckin episode.

Rainy

Banned
I just watched the latest ep, feel so bad for Tsubaki...but we know how this is gonna end..

Or do we? If Kaori kicks the bucket who knows what could happen.

darkwing

I just watched the latest ep, feel so bad for Tsubaki...but we know how this is gonna end..

I'm already sad that maybe we already had seen the last time they made music together

and Kaori is the reason why Arima came back to playing the piano, they should be together, feels bad man

mdubs

Banned

She's stuck being the other girl in a romance anime, sucks to be her. I know I'm not on her ship, SS Kaori all the way.

Also is that Hori in your avatar? You have excellent taste if so.

Rainy

Banned
I'm already sad that maybe we already had seen the last time they made music together

and Kaori is the reason why Arima came back to playing the piano, they should be together, feels bad man

She's stuck being the other girl in a romance anime, sucks to be her. I know I'm not on her ship, SS Kaori all the way.

Also is that Hori in your avatar? You have excellent taste if so.

Oh I agree Kaori the whole way, just feel bad for Tsubaki.

And yes that's Hori :)

darkwing

new episode, nice that they are going back to the piano playing stuff

surprising twist for Kousei though lol

poor Kaori :(

SCChappy

Banned
i got curious so i went ahead and read some chapters of the manga and it seems to me like the show is quite literally the manga animated
i kinda wish i hadnt because it loses a bit of suspense knowing whats gonna play out

darkwing

what kind of sickness does she have anyway? I thought at first it was like sickle cell anemia, but could that cause what happened in the last scene?

that last scene though, that impact, then cut to the ending song, yikes

LordCanti

I expected her to return to school or something for a while before taking a big turn for the worse but I guess that wasn't to be.

I don't know how this little girl fits into all this but she seems like she'll take time away from things I'd care about more so..mmm....

what kind of sickness does she have anyway? I thought at first it was like sickle cell anemia, but could that cause what happened in the last scene?

that last scene though, that impact, then cut to the ending song, yikes

Whatever she has it's degenerative and she appears to be declining fast. ALS or something maybe, though I doubt there's any official answer for what she has.

The death flags have been so obvious that when it happens it won't be that impactful to me I think. That's kind of a bummer but they've been waving so hard for so long that it would almost be weird if she didn't die at this point.

mdubs

Banned
Poor Tsubaki, more or less gets the friend zone from good old baka Kousei, who seems to be realizing his love for Kaori more in her absence. It's tough to tell if he's getting a clear grip on what his feelings are though, but then again what 14 year really knows what they want.

darkwing

yup, some form of ALS would show the same symptoms , that is so sad,slowly losing control of the ability to play music, the scream at the end, ouch!

having the little girl would mean more character development for Kousei , it seems to me though that it is Tsubaki who can't move forward and just want things to remain the same while her other friends are forging ahead

it's obvious where Kousei's feelings are, in the sub I watched , it said that 'why I love her so much'

it's just sad, we already might have seen the last time Kousei and Kaori playing music together in the early episodes

mdubs

Banned
yup, some form of ALS would show the same symptoms , that is so sad,slowly losing control of the ability to play music, the scream at the end, ouch!

having the little girl would mean more character development for Kousei , it seems to me though that it is Tsubaki who can't move forward and just want things to remain the same while her other friends are forging ahead

it's obvious where Kousei's feelings are, in the sub I watched , it said that 'why I love her so much'

it's just sad, we already might have seen the last time Kousei and Kaori playing music together in the early episodes

Believe.

But I don't think there's any way they won't perform one last climactic time in the last couple episodes

Just watched the new episode, interesting that they're seemingly going down the ALS path with Kaori. Maybe I haven't been watching the right stuff but it's somewhat refreshing to see some real-world seriousness dealt with in anime. Mother's Rosario (SAOII, the only somewhat "bright spot" in the trash heap that is that franchise) was equally notable.

Corgi

Banned
yeah real weird... was just rewatching Space Brothers too.

There is something hilarious about kaori crawling around miserably, while piano boy is getting in that rebound action, and just snagged himself a loli too!

darkwing

Episode 16

wait what, did I read that right, the last line.....

and stupid Kousei , you should have asked during that bicycle ride

nice twist there by Nagi, so she is doing those things for her brother?

Episode 16

I never expected the main girl's behavior to turn out to be like that. I guess Freud was right with being attracted to your mother and all that. Also, Nagi was his little sister from the second I saw her.

darkwing

Episode 16

I never expected the main girl's behavior to turn out to be like that. I guess Freud was right with being attracted to your mother and all that. Also, Nagi was his little sister from the second I saw her.

I just checked the book she was reading, I think that is a line from it since it dwells about similar circumstances

Firemind

I see what you did there...

Kaori wants to leave a lasting impression on this world through Kousei and as a consequence Kousei relives his moments with his sick mom.

"What a cliché."

mdubs

Banned
Episode 16

Illness does crazy things to people. Although its notable that he isn't attracted to her for the similarities to his mother despite her showing them in this episode. This is a good opportunity for character development on Kaori's part and what will make the difference in the end is if she faces her illness in a different way that Kousei's mother did. This is only the beginning and I think we'll get a happy ending

mdubs

Banned
Context for anyone wondering: Japan has a long history of couples committing double suicides and there was a period where it was somewhat idealized as a very romantic gesture and way to go. This episode establishes that Kaori likes Kousei back, so her proposition makes sense considering her feelings for him as well as her increasingly erratic behavior. It actually makes a lot of sense in the story now that I think about it rather than just for shock value

LordCanti

She can't even hold a violin bow anymore :c She's gone from walking and playing instruments to barely mobile and unable to grasp things. I don't think we're ever going to get an answer for what she has but whatever it is, it's burning through her.

I guess this show could end in some sort of miracle cure, but it's looking less likely considering how she's acting.

Context for anyone wondering: Japan has a long history of couples committing double suicides and there was a period where it was somewhat idealized as a very romantic gesture and way to go. This episode establishes that Kaori likes Kousei back, so her proposition makes sense considering her feelings for him as well as her increasingly erratic behavior. It actually makes a lot of sense in the story now that I think about it rather than just for shock value

I'm pretty sure she's just quoting the book. She likes to do that (like when she quoted Lucy from Peanuts).

It wasn't actually a request to do it.

mdubs

Banned
I'm pretty sure she's just quoting the book. She likes to do that (like when she quoted Lucy from Peanuts).

It wasn't actually a request to do it.

Definitely, but she certainly chose an interesting point to quote haha even if that isn't her intention.

mdubs

Banned
Man, that was a roller coaster of an episode, huh? A feeling of the tempest boiling underneath everything?

I get a "night is darkest before the dawn" sort of feeling. It's going to be dark for the next couple episodes before leading to the finale.

darkwing

sly Kaori, you said you were waiting for Watari, when you were really waiting for Kousei, the substitute

You said you left your bag at school, but you really wanted to visit it for the last time

You had one last time to leave the hospital and that is how you spend it......

why are there so many onions and death flags here

Are. you. fucking. kidding. me..............................

I really really really fucking hope the blonde girl isn't seriously talking about romantic love towards her brother. For fucks sake, does brother-sister incest need to be in every anime?

mdubs

Banned

I really really really fucking hope the blonde girl isn't seriously talking about romantic love towards her brother. For fucks sake, does brother-sister incest need to be in every anime?

It wasn't, at least not in this episode. It was more of a hero idolization, where she idolizes him as a role model at the piano but is frustrated by his obsession with Kousei (who she views as an inferior pianist). It's similar in the manga (which I have not read ahead on) so at least on this point there is no incest angle.

darkwing

It wasn't, at least not in this episode. It was more of a hero idolization, where she idolizes him as a role model at the piano but is frustrated by his obsession with Kousei (who she views as an inferior pianist). It's similar in the manga (which I have not read ahead on) so at least on this point there is no incest angle.

this is basically it, that is the reason why she is trying to 'destroy' Kousei in my opinion, that lipstick mark was hilarious btw

Xyber

I thought it was more like that her brother used to spend all his time playing with her, but then he put all his focus in the piano because he wanted to be better than Kousei. So now she wanted to destroy Kousei because he took her brother away from her and all she wants is for them to get back to the way it was before when he spent all his time with her.

Or incest.

jorgejjvr

I feel bad for Tsubaki, she's always been there for Kousei, I think she needs to let him know how she feels. It's weird because I also want the best for Kaori and I know she and Arima have a mutual musical connection. I just want everyone to end up happy somehow honestly lol. But I don't know how any of this well get resolved. And Kaori please don't die on me!

mdubs

Banned
But for real, the best of this episode is that Kaori loves Kousei back (but he's too thick to see it as you would expect for a 14 year old)

jorgejjvr

But for real, the best of this episode is that Kaori loves Kousei back (but he's too thick to see it as you would expect for a 14 year old)
She misses his voice. Ding Ding Ding lol. And it was too obvious she was really not looking for Watari

darkwing

I really think the lie in Your Lie in April was the one where she said she was waiting for Watari in the first/second? episode

mdubs

Banned
I really think the lie in Your Lie in April was the one where she said she was waiting for Watari in the first/second? episode

This is what I was speculating way back at the time, but had forgotten about it until now and I think it really does make sense if this is the case. I bet we find out in the letter Kousei will inevitably get (the one shown in the last shot of the second OP)

Top Bottom