• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Lie in April (Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso) IOTI Life is Colorful

mdubs

Banned
Tired of these flashbacks though. Needs to move faster.

Whoah the Goose House video of them performing the OP on YT has over 2.3m views. Love the OP a lot.

That was some pretty crucial insight though into why Kousei feels guilty about playing the piano, we now know he blames himself partly for his mother's death when he told her he wished she was dead.

Based Goosehouse

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just caught up with episodes 8 and 9, reality loving this show. Also got my brother and his wife watching it, he plays piano and has been learning the violin so I made the rec quite early on haha.

And yeah, the OP is so lovely. I'll never skip it.

mdubs

Banned
On episode 4. Checked it out because of this thread.

Jesus wow. Amazing show thus far.

Welcome! Come along for the amazing ride, it's been fantastic thus far.

Every episode got me like
tumblr_ng8f3uP7y31s4cujlo1_500.gif

mdubs

Banned
Well that was awesome, finally that payoff we've been waiting for.

Absolutely love the use of imagery in this episode, probably some of the best stuff we've seen so far from the show. My man Kousei pretty much confessing his love for Kaori in front of everyone, excellent stuff.

If anyone is interested, this episode is chapters 17 and 18 of the manga, encourage you to go and read them to see what the performance was like there. As long as you don't go past the end of chapter 18 you are in the clear spoiler-wise.

tumblr_ngfqrnjWfd1r7jzano1_500.gif

tumblr_ngfq8bvoC61t89rpeo1_500.gif

Also good news everyone, the manga has been licensed for English release by Kodansha Comics USA, first volume will be releasing in the Spring!

mdubs

Banned
not a fan that random other instruments appear during the performances for some reason.

Wasn't it just the violin? I think it made perfect sense in the context of his performance, the violin only came in after he started playing for Kaori.

Frog-fu

Banned
This is straight up teetering on the edge of the supernatural, and I can't say I really enjoyed the melodrama that seemed to have increased yet again. Not my favourite episode tbh.

neoanarch

This is straight up teetering on the edge of the supernatural, and I can't say I really enjoyed the melodrama that seemed to have increased yet again. Not my favourite episode tbh.

I feel like its the appropriate level of melodrama. The characters are experiencing their first love and maybe for some their last. The tone helps you connect with the characters. Who should be feeling like this is one of the most important earth shattering events that has ever happened.

Kettch

I think my biggest problem with the show is with the MC. I just don't care about him at all. He's an empty shell with no personality. The only things that define him are his dead mother and Kaori. Makes it difficult to care about any of his problems, so when his mother issues come up yet again I just have to groan in annoyance. The big moment at the end where I assume he gets over those issues should be a "yay!" moment, but instead I'm just relieved that we hopefully won't have to hear about them anymore.

mdubs

Banned
I feel like its the appropriate level of melodrama. The characters are experiencing their first love and maybe for some their last. The tone helps you connect with the characters. Who should be feeling like this is one of the most important earth shattering events that has ever happened.

Agreed, I feel like the imagery is a great representation of Kousei's thoughts and compliments the story well.

I think my biggest problem with the show is with the MC. I just don't care about him at all. He's an empty shell with no personality. The only things that define him are his dead mother and Kaori.

I wouldn't say I agree that he has no personality, we've seen it shine through on a number of occasions (I'd say the jumping off the bridge scene was a pretty good example of this) and we are able to glean a lot of his personality from his monologues (he's obviously a romantic at heart and quite an introspective and reserved person). We also see the way his mother shaped this part of him, repressing parts of his personality we've seen flashes of.

For some reason this reminded me of Inaho from Aldnoah Zero, now *that* was a guy with no personality.

mdubs

Banned
the feels in this episode

technically he is disqualified though?

I think so. But this sets up the rest of the series nicely from a competition standpoint as it gives Takeshi and Emi ample motivation to continue competing against him (in competitions lower than their talent level in the case of Takeshi since he could have gone overseas). It means Takeshi and Emi beat him in this competition but it'll seem like a hollow victory because while they technically beat him they can't say whether they beat the version of Kousei who played after his sort of awakening. Should be interesting to see where that goes.

Soi-Fong

Just got done watching the latest episode.

Charlie Brown - "You know, I'm not always going to be around to help you..."

Please don't tell me that's what I think it means...

When the vocals came in during the cut to Kaori's face I got crazy goosebumps.

LordCanti

If he's
Charlie Brown, is she going to be the football?
I sure hope not.

I like what the new
girl/his mothers friend brings to the table.
Hopefully we'll get some more back story out of her since she has a fresh perspective on
how his doting mother turned into a monster.

Just got done watching the latest episode.

Charlie Brown - "You know, I'm not always going to be around to help you..."

Please don't tell me that's what I think it means...

Probably :c

Soi-Fong

If he's
Charlie Brown, is she going to be the football?
I sure hope not.

I like what the new
girl/his mothers friend brings to the table.
Hopefully we'll get some more back story out of her since she has a fresh perspective on
how his doting mother turned into a monster.

Probably :c

It's fucking signaling for it.
Kaori always stresses on how much she wants people to remember her after her performances. Add to that competition not mattering to her... They're setting it up... SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdubs

Banned
tumblr_ngsndpo3ZO1rs5gxyo1_500.gif

tumblr_ngspkq6qtI1txhymvo1_500.gif

"I had you"

I said damn.

It's fucking signaling for it.
Kaori always stresses on how much she wants people to remember her after her performances. Add to that competition not mattering to her... They're setting it up... SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's going to happen for sure it seems like, will be interesting to see how it goes.

Loving this mangas adaptation. Its great to finally be able to hear the music instead of just reading it and trying to hear what I come up with in my head lol. Anyone else on here read the manga? Did you read this weeks chapter? I can't wait to see how this story concludes and see the rest of it in anime form.

This is hands down one of my favorite shows to wait for each week on CrunchyRoll. If anyone can recommend me any anime that is similar to this, please do so. :)

mdubs

Banned
This is hands down one of my favorite shows to wait for each week on CrunchyRoll. If anyone can recommend me any anime that is similar to this, please do so. :)

Not the same thing but Silver Spoon is my favourite anime, also by A-1. It is amazing (and also has an ending by Goose House). Please give it a watch.

Corgi

Banned
Loving this mangas adaptation. Its great to finally be able to hear the music instead of just reading it and trying to hear what I come up with in my head lol. Anyone else on here read the manga? Did you read this weeks chapter? I can't wait to see how this story concludes and see the rest of it in anime form.

you should watch nodame cantabile if you haven't.

Ennosuke

Just finished episode 11.

The ending of this show is going to kill me.

This can´t be happening. It is something which I thought of in one of the earlier episodes, but I wasn´t sure. But now when I see all those "signs" I am pretty sure it will happen.

mdubs

Banned
This can´t be happening. It is something which I thought of in one of the earlier episodes, but I wasn´t sure. But now when I see all those "signs" I am pretty sure it will happen.

Those damn onion-ninja must be getting ready for the finale.

Also the manga is confirmed to be ending on Feb 6 for anyone interested. Again, anime will be a full adaptation.

mdubs

Banned
As gorgeous as the first OP sequence is, I have to imagine we'll be getting a new one to kick off the winter season.

Yes mostly like will debut next episode.

OP is "Nanairo Symphony" by Coala Mode
ED is "Orange" by 7!! (pronounced Seven Oops)

I'll have a tough time letting go of Hikaru Nara though, Goose House is just too much for me.

Rainy

Banned
Episode 12 was pretty good. Kaori's parents are pretty funny. The ending though.

Death flags, death flags everywhere.

The new OP isn't as good as goosehouse obviously but I think I like this ED better than the first one.

LordCanti

Episode 12 was pretty good. Kaori's parents are pretty funny. The ending though.

Death flags, death flags everywhere.

The new OP isn't as good as goosehouse obviously but I think I like this ED better than the first one.

So many flags :O

Top Bottom