• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 4 reviews

PhoenixTank

This is ridiculous. There is no need for 4 models here. They should drop the nonE versions and leave the PCIe 4 only out. If these things are going to last several CPU generations, it also means people will likely slot in a new GPU. Why fuck them now just so you can price Mobos from 150 to 600. Oh right, just to be cunts.
Don't see the choice as a bad thing personally. PCIE 5 is expensive and currently most of the benefit will be seen on SSDs. Going to be a good while before a medium high GPU tops out 16 PCIE 4 lanes.
If they keep on with the "latest and greatest PCIE version, but cut down lanes" shenanigans on graphics cards, that could be more of a problem.

Fredrik

It seems that the ECO Mode (decrease TDP to 65 watts) barely impact performances when it come to video gaming and may even improve them.

ECO mode gives basically the same performance, impressive!

winjer

Gold Member
Ryzen 7 5800x3D has higher performance than Ryzen 9 5900x here. Is AMD stumbling a bit with Ryzen 9 or is this test bad? CPU load at 15-25% makes me think it’s a bad test.

With the 5900x you get more cores. This is good for productivity.
With the 5800x3d, you get more cache. Games love fast memory and cache.

Few games scale on more than 6C12T.
More cores and threads will be idle, so you get such low cpu usage.

Fredrik

With the 5900x you get more cores. This is good for productivity.
With the 5800x3d, you get more cache. Games love fast memory and cache.

Few games scale on more than 6C12T.
More cores and threads will be idle, so you get such low cpu usage.
Thanks 🤝
Would be interesting to see a Ryzen 9 ECO mode comparison with standard mode 5800x3D.

Outlier

I don't know the answer to those questions but I personally just go for high end cause I play Paradox games that are notorious for chugging at late game when there's too much simulation going on.

Like literally nothing is happening on screen but there's like 50-100k npcs interacting on the backend doing political shit. You can tweak ini files to cull npcs at 20k or something but that's gimping the game.
Perfect you say that. As I am playing CK3 right now and it's one of reasons why I got the 7900X, so that hopefully the late game lag goes away! :^D

P.S.: I have the 7900X, but am waiting before getting the other components, before testing.

Fredrik

P.S.: I have the 7900X, but am waiting before getting the other components, before testing.
I think I’m going with something like that too, not that I think I need it right now but if I’m building an all new computer I’m not cutting down on the CPU. I know future proofing is a gamble but the CPU is the part that could potentially last the longest, plus the MB and PSU.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Fire Elmo GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats

These guys either can’t come to terms with the fact that these cpus are made to run hotter or it’s all for “ click bait “ .

The real issue is that not all Am4 cpu fans Will work on am5 boards. It’s not as easy to find a cooler as we were lead to believe.

winjer

Gold Member
These guys either can’t come to terms with the fact that these cpus are made to run hotter or it’s all for “ click bait “ .

The real issue is that not all Am4 cpu fans Will work on am5 boards. It’s not as easy to find a cooler as we were lead to believe.

You didn't see the video? Didn't you.

winjer

Gold Member
So it’s another click bait title… which is what I said .. I have zero respect for click bait titles these days or anyone who uses them.

They exactly what the title.
They tested with box cooler. But they also tested with an 360mm AIO.
And tested with PBO undervolting. And with ECO mode. In several applications and games, comparing power usage, temperatures and performance.
So a very through testing. So it's a shame you dismiss it, just because you think it's click bait.

OZ9000

Banned
It seems that the ECO Mode (decrease TDP to 65 watts) barely impact performances when it come to video gaming and may even improve them.

ECO mode looks very impressive. I care about generating the least heat and power as possible - nothing worse than turning your PC on in the summer and having to sit through a sauna lol. Despite taking a hit in performance, the stats are still super impressive.

winjer

Gold Member
I have a 5800x 3D.

I highly recommend. It’s saved me a tonne in heating costs.

I got one this week. Very powerful stuff and very efficient.
But, there is the issue with the cache on top of the CPU.
During normal games and applications, it's cool. But once I hit it with y-cruncher, it got to 95ºC, and clocks were at 4.3ghz, because the cache was making it difficult to remove heat.
Then I used PBO -30 and temperatures got down to the 80s and clocks were always maxed out at 4550Mhz.
Just consider that y-cruncher is not a typical application, it's just a benchmark and stress test.

winjer

Gold Member

In RPCS3, AVX-512 support obtains a thirty percent improvement on performance, gaining the new AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, the most influential processor to assist with emulating the PS3 environment. Results showed that the AMD Zen 4's single-threaded performance is crucial due to the CPU surpassing the Intel 11th Gen Core 'Rocket Lake' CPUs, as seen on this Reddit post.
While tests are still being completed comparing the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X CPU to the Intel Core i9-13900K, there is much speculation that AMD will dominate the game emaultion market with the help of AVX-512 support, especially when showing a thirty percent increase in performance.

BlackTron

I think I’m going with something like that too, not that I think I need it right now but if I’m building an all new computer I’m not cutting down on the CPU. I know future proofing is a gamble but the CPU is the part that could potentially last the longest, plus the MB and PSU.

Agree with that. I don't ever want to take it out again so I make sure to pick the right CPU/mobo combo, use the right fan/heatsink and handle installation like surgery...and NEVER look back lol.

Ditto on the PSU though it seems a lot of people are idiots about this lol. Everything else can be filled in or swapped around on a whim.

Denton

I have the shitty 2700X...and for most games, it still manages to eke out 60fps. Exceptions are open world RT games like Cyberpunk, Spiderman and WatchDogs Legion. But I already finished the latter two and with Cyberpunk I am waiting for the expansion to do second playthrough. So basically I have no reason to upgrade now.

That said, I wonder if next year I should get the 5800X3D, or 5700X. 3D is twice as expensive for what, 20% extra perf? But on the other hand, it is the fastest CPU for AM4 and might extend the longevity of the system quite a bit.

I wonder if my boxed Wraith Prism would be able to cool 3D at decent performance.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I have the shitty 2700X...and for most games, it still manages to eke out 60fps. Exceptions are open world RT games like Cyberpunk, Spiderman and WatchDogs Legion. But I already finished the latter two and with Cyberpunk I am waiting for the expansion to do second playthrough. So basically I have no reason to upgrade now.

That said, I wonder if next year I should get the 5800X3D, or 5700X. 3D is twice as expensive for what, 20% extra perf? But on the other hand, it is the fastest CPU for AM4 and might extend the longevity of the system quite a bit.

You can easily but a 5600 non-X, for 170€ and get a massive increase.
It's probably the best bang for buck, on an AM4 platform.

Fredrik

Agree with that. I don't ever want to take it out again so I make sure to pick the right CPU/mobo combo, use the right fan/heatsink and handle installation like surgery...and NEVER look back lol.

Ditto on the PSU though it seems a lot of people are idiots about this lol. Everything else can be filled in or swapped around on a whim.
Lol yeah surgery is a valid way to describe it! I’ve started building now, was up til 02:00 last night trying to get things right, pausing and checking manuals and guides after each tiny step. I’ll probably mess something up anyway...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think everyone is waiting for the lower priced motherboards. I know I am.
Definitely the wait for B650 boards is part of it. Plus 5800X3D is better for games, and 7000 X3D CPUs are coming in the near future. Plus people are just cutting back on spending in general.

Really hard to justify buying 7000 series right at this moment.

b0uncyfr0

If a 7600x goes on sale for 300 this black Friday, I'm jumping in. I want good performance, but it's hard to spend more when it's not really necessary.

Just need to find a decent AM5 board and slap some 6400mhz ram on that bad boy

Silver Wattle

Gold Member

Basically, the 7600X and the 13600K are very similar for gaming, but for productivity the E cores give Intel an easy victory.

AMD need some price cuts, around 10% should be enough.

Also, these tests clearly show DDR5 is worthwhile and that it will only become more obvious as DDR5 prices decrease in the future.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet the yields on the x3D is no where near where AMD would like and it’s the reason they didn’t put it in the new chips.
I honestly don't think that's why.

but the extra RAM is expensive and means more heat. Zen 4 chips are quite hot already because of the cooler compatibility mistake.

My guess is that, they have to solve that thermal problem or clocks have to be lowered too much.

Also, the 5800X3D also came out one year after 5800X did, seems normal that they would delay these "supercache" chips outside release window.

Klosshufvud

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000...-due-to-pc-decline-ryzen-9-7900x-best-seller/

They’re lowering production since the sales are abysmal. Who would have thought? Maybe keeping DDR4 option and cheap motherboard would have helped?

There’s barely a reason so far to go DDR5 & PCIe 5
The pandemic boost really induced some delusions of grandeur in these tech companies. They really expected just infinite growth when people no longer are locked in their homes in front of their PCs and are now dealing with massive inflation all over the place? I hope they learn that greed has limits.

AMD should have made Zen4 some sort of transition chip. Decent performance in AM4/DDR4, but much better performance in DDR5/AM5.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
AMD should have made Zen4 some sort of transition chip. Decent performance in AM4/DDR4, but much better performance in DDR5/AM5.

I was looking at vfio options for zen4, and read that the taichi has really nice grouping -but the damn thing retails for 700€! I wasn't expecting cheap since it's a flagship board but god damn.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

We have been made aware of reports of unexpected performance deltas in certain games with AMD Ryzen desktop processors as well as performance variances between Windows 11 and Windows 10 in certain game titles. We are currently investigating but based on testing to date have not observed a material difference in game performance between OS versions across a variety of operating scenarios and game titles.
Many factors affect gaming performance, including the game engine, CPU architecture, GPU selection and memory choices. As new architectures enter the market, we often observe performance anomalies which must be addressed by the component vendor or the game publisher. This is not a new phenomenon nor is it unexpected.
As we have done since the introduction of Ryzen, when these performance anomalies are brought to light we will use them to steer our partner engagements with game developers and ecosystem hardware partners to implement optimizations that eliminate the variations.

Top Bottom