• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7800X3D review thread

winjer

Gold Member

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The fastest and one of the most efficient CPUs ever made.

average-fps-1920-1080.png

power-games.png

zeroluck

These useless CPU reviews with crazy FPS lol, I wish DF(Richard) do CPU review again, he tests heavy frame drop scenarios where having a better CPU actually matter.

Last edited:
These useless CPU reviews with crazy FPS lol, I wish DF(Richard) do CPU review again, he tests heavy frame drop scenarios where having a better CPU actually matter.
for the ones that are showing 300+fps then yeah it's pointless unless you're a serious competitive PC player but 150-200fps is very important. a lot of PC gamers don't actually play at 60fps anymore lol. 144hz is where it's at.

Last edited:

Banned

future proofing 🤷 if it can push super high FPS on low settings today, it most likely will be able to push future games well enough on higher settings.

GreatnessRD

That's some solid efficiency. Still splitting hairs in my opinion far as gaming goes. You'll be served fine with either a 7800X3D or the 13700K/900K. Future looking bright for my Zen6 upgrade! Or will Intel bring some god tier smoke that I have to make the switch?! Good time to be a PC gamer.*

*once folks stop buying GPUs are stupid prices, of course

dave_d

Wait, I thought the big thing with these CPUs is it helps a lot with 1% lows. (IE makes things smooth.) Do those videos cover that?

no doubt the 7800X3D is the absolute best (amd) cpu to get for gaming but the 7950X3D is also doing well in games and if you use your PC for more than games it makes more sense.

i'm hoping people cancel their 7950X3D orders to buy a 7800X3D so i can get a 7950X3D lol. looking at those graphs the 7950X3D will still be a significant upgrade over my current CPU while trading blows with the 7800X3D/13900K. The power consumption versus Intel is insane. That 13900K sucks up a lot of power.

Last edited:
Oops just saw DF's review, on average it is little faster than stock 13900k with shit ram, stutter handling is better on 13900k. Same story as usual, get Intel with fast RAM if you want the ultimate gaming experience.

Interesting considering Hardware Unboxed ran the intel CPU's with DDR5-7600 ram in their tests and they were still a tad behind (3% overall average) the 7800X3D (using DDR5-5600)

Last edited:

zeroluck

Interesting considering Hardware Unboxed ran the intel CPU's with DDR5-7600 ram in their tests and they were still a tad behind (3% overall average) the 7800X3D (using DDR5-5600)
Like I said I don't care about average FPS, I want to see data about those stutters when loading new areas in game where no amount of cache will help you and you have to go to main memory.

Tsaki

Just WOW is all I can say to that. Also the 7950 and 7900X3D's just weren't needed.
Their existence doesn't really take away from this product. If people don't buy them then AMD will simply shift the chiplets to other products (Ryzen, Theadrippers, Epycs). But I do remember when 5800X3D released that some were complaining that a higher core product didn't exist. Admittedly the 7950X3D and 7900X3D are more niche but they do satisfy that small number of people.
But if someone wants the best gaming CPU (without caring about crazy number of cores which games don't use), this one seems to be right choice. It is also crazy power efficient.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like an incredible cpu both in terms of performance and efficiency... reminds me of the 2ghz Athlon 64 vs 3ghz Pentium 4 back when I started building PC's. Eventually Intel cranked the P4 to nearly 4ghz and they were hot power hungry chips trying to compete against AMD.

Last edited:

Denton

Great CPU. If I was buying new system today,7800X3D is what I would get.

But the older bro 5800X3D will last me fine next three or four years I think.

Reallink

Great CPU. If I was buying new system today,7800X3D is what I would get.

But the older bro 5800X3D will last me fine next three or four years I think.

If you were buying a new system today, you'd be much better off with one of the $499 7700X, B670, 32GB 6000 RAM bundles that delivers 96% of the 4K performance for around 75% less money. Now if price and value isnt a thought or concern in any aspect of your build or life it'd be a good buy.

Kadve

I'm still hoping for a 7600X3D... But that's a pipe dream isn't it?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Most PC gamers play at 1080p at very high refresh rates, these are not useless at all, those playing at 1440p with high end cards will also benefit from it, also those that stream for a living specially.

BTW, I'm amazed by how AMD "ryzed" from the ashes (he he), I have always had AMD and before Zen was a thing, I was thinking in moving to Intel for real but everything from them just looked more expensive.

Ozriel

M$FT
Shame it’s not setting the world on fire in compute tests. But the gaming performance and power efficiency is top tier

Last edited:

poodaddy

Looks like this will almost certainly be my next CPU if I upgrade within the next two years.

Question, is it weird going from an Intel CPU to an AMD? I know it'll pretty much be a whole new PC as I'll need different memory and a new motherboard, but I'd like to use the same SSD, which I've never done. Should I just clean slate it? I've got a ton of stuff on my current SSD that I don't wanna lose, but I suppose I could just back up all the stuff I care about on an external and wipe the drive if that'd be easier. Also, how does Windows work with that? Would I need to buy Windows 11 over again or no?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but usually I just go for a whole new PC altogether rather than upgrading just a few components, (the only component I've ever actually upgraded on either of the two builds I've had was the GPU), so I'm really not very informed on this stuff.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That efficiency is incredible. Gg AMD, hats off to you.

I love my 13900ks but man it's a power hungry biatch. I can't imagine what it's doing ro my power bill and being a drag on the environment.

Hopefully it lasts me years though.

Last edited:
never thought id get excited about power efficiency... but here we are.
also love that all cores have 3d cache.

minor complaint, but given the low power consumption, i wish temps were lower.
oh well, still better than intel.

might go with this.

I'd like to use the same SSD, which I've never done. Should I just clean slate it? I've got a ton of stuff on my current SSD that I don't wanna lose, but I suppose I could just back up all the stuff I care about on an external and wipe the drive if that'd be easier. Also, how does Windows work with that? Would I need to buy Windows 11 over again or no?
you can create a new partition in your SSD. this is where your new copy of windows will be installed.
the SSD's old/existing partition, where your current copy of windows is installed, will remain there untouched, and youll still be able to access it.

that said, my preference is to just get another SSD or backup everything to a storage SSD/HDD, then format it.
cleaner way of doing things in my mind.

not 100% sure about windows, as i prefer pirated versions.
oem copies usually arent transferrable and are locked to the machine.
disc copies usually allow for a limited number of installs.

MikeM

That efficiency alone is wild. I have no interest in ditching my 5600 at 4k but for those who need frames- this checks all the boxes in every way.

Kadve

Yeah a pipe dream, but you could technically get it right now in the 7900X3D. Since it has two CCD's with 6 cores each. And the cache is on one side, lol
Yea. Something about AMD not wanting Ryzen 5 to become "to good" and start eating into the potential sales of Ryzen 7 IIRC.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Yea. Somethin about AMD not wanting Ryzen 5 to become "to good" and start eating into the potential sales of Ryzen 7 IIRC.
Absolutely. If they came out with a Ryzen 5 3D part, gamers wouldn't even think about the 7 or 9 series. UNLESS they stream, yada yada

Top Bottom