• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7800X3D review thread

GHG

This is the one. Glad I waited, will end up cheaper as well.

The 4090 will go in the new AM5 7800x3d build and I'll put the 4080 in the existing 5800x3d build.

Going to be fun.

HoofHearted

Insane on the efficiency…

Though I needed moar cores so went with the 7950x for now… had the 7950x3D in hand but free RAM with the 7950x changed my mind…

Kataploom

Gold Member
That doesn't sound right...
Ok, I'll fix it: Most PC players play at 1080p, a lot of them also prefer high refresh rates on high end 1080p monitors, others just happen to have one cheap monitor but decent rig.

I see it every day on my own circles.

supernova8

Banned
Not really that interested until B650 boards come down in price. I'm not paying that much for a motherboard (still rocking my B450), not happening, and I'm not playing their game by buying a gimped A620 board that won't properly support all the CPUs.

What I am interested in is seeing what this means for laptop APUs, given the crazy power efficiency and what appears to be a decent performance jump for the RDNA3 iGPU. Fast forward another generation and maybe we'll reach RTX 3050 level performance all on an APU, which would be insane (not everyone wants a 4090).

Last edited:

Von Hugh

So the 7900X3D and 7950X3D are trash because they are actually worse than 7800X3D. And even worse when you take their prices into account. Weird.

They are better than the 7800X3D in productivity apps, but if they matter to you that much, non-3D processors are not only better but cost less.

Again, weird.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope the next console APUs are some form of 3d cache enabled APU. That would be a game changer and has to be getting worked on, surely?
Yeah, it was not the right time to keep cost down and clocks up this generation, but its effects on gaming are clear and strong. Helps you boost performance a lot (especially for this kind of SoC’s) and decrease pressure on external main memory bandwidth (which helps reduce power consumption) while also lowering average latency.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Newegg has it in stock
Sorry I kind of just refreshed the page by luck around 9:00 bought it and then went right back to work.

I was more relieved that I managed to get one outside of Newegg since they canceled my last CPU order. Good luck to all. All the reviews are overwhelmingly positive if you are using this primarily for gaming. But we all know what time it is, that is what we do here. If you want to go and talk about productivity that's a separate discussion but this is a damn good CPU for gaming. We will see where things shake out as I have a pretty high end am5 motherboard and we'll have a pretty decent upgrade path for a few years hopefully.

baphomet

Well that arrived quicker than expected
1pe5Dnx.jpg

If anyone is looking for a decent upgrade to an x570 Tomahawk/5900x/and ram, I'll be selling them for a better than average deal next week once I have the rest of the stuff to install this into my system.

hinch7

Not really that interested until B650 boards come down in price. I'm not paying that much for a motherboard (still rocking my B450), not happening, and I'm not playing their game by buying a gimped A620 board that won't properly support all the CPUs.

What I am interested in is seeing what this means for laptop APUs, given the crazy power efficiency and what appears to be a decent performance jump for the RDNA3 iGPU. Fast forward another generation and maybe we'll reach RTX 3050 level performance all on an APU, which would be insane (not everyone wants a 4090).
Another benefit of waiting for mobo's to come down is that the X3D processors rapidly drop in prices anyway. So two birds with one stone. Might be worth looking out for RAM kits though as DRAM manufacterers are almost fire saling chips as memory prices are getting to an all time low.

Next generation Zen (4) processors and 14th gen Intel should bring massive gains in GPU in APU advancements. So much so that it'll mostly make low end GPU's a thing of the past. Making low end pointless like a a 4050, when you could an all in one solution which is cheaper and much more power efficient.

Last edited:

Reallink

Another benefit of waiting for mobo's to come down is that the X3D processors rapidly drop in prices anyway. So two birds with one stone. Might be worth looking out for RAM kits though as DRAM manufacterers are almost fire saling chips as memory prices are getting to an all time low.

Next generation Zen (4) processors and 14th gen Intel should bring massive gains in GPU in APU advancements. So much so that it'll mostly make low end GPU's a thing of the past. Making low end pointless like a a 4050, when you could an all in one solution which is cheaper and much more power efficient.

The 3050 is a 10TF part loosely equivalent to a GTX 1080, and still somewhat competitive with a PS5/SX. The current Ryzen 7000s iGPU is around 500Gflops, or broadly equivalent to Nintendo Switch. How in the world do you figure the next gen CPUs are even going to come within an order of magnitude of a 4050? They will be more than a decade behind it. The desktop 4050 will significantly outperform PS5 and SX, and you're proposing a Ryzen 8700 or i7 14700's iGPU is going to render it pointless? Come'on now.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The 3050 is a 10TF part loosely equivalent to a GTX 1080, and still somewhat competitive with a PS5/SX. The current Ryzen 7000s iGPU is around 500Gflops, or broadly equivalent to Nintendo Switch. How in the world do you figure the next gen CPUs are even going to come within an order of magnitude of a 4050? They will be more than a decade behind it.

The 3050 has 10TFLOPs, but those are not equal in performance to what an RDNA2 TFLOP does.
In reality, the 3050 has similar performance to a 1660Ti. And it's around 15% slower than a GTX1080.
And should be similar to 6.5 TFLOPs in an RDNA2 GPU.

The iGPU on the current 7000s CPUs is very basic, and serves for little else but to display an image and for troubleshooting. AMD has yet to release APUs based on Zen4.
For mobile though, AMD will soon release APUs with the 780M, which should have slightly better performance than a GTX 1650.

An APU is still well behind the 3050, but not by the margin of a "decade".

Reallink

The 3050 has 10TFLOPs, but those are not equal in performance to what an RDNA2 TFLOP does.
In reality, the 3050 has similar performance to a 1660Ti. And it's around 15% slower than a GTX1080.
And should be similar to 6.5 TFLOPs in an RDNA2 GPU.

The iGPU on the current 7000s CPUs is very basic, and serves for little else but to display an image and for troubleshooting. AMD has yet to release APUs based on Zen4.
For mobile though, AMD will soon release APUs with the 780M, which should have slightly better performance than a GTX 1650.

An APU is still well behind the 3050, but not by the margin of a "decade".

The 780M will do good to be in the same ballpark of a GTX 970 or RX 470/480 in practice (synthetic 3DMark benches already place it a good piece behind them, which are coincidentally 10 year old parts), and they're never going to put that many CU's in a desktop part. You'll be incredibly lucky to get a 4 or 6 CU version in the desktop Ryzen 8000's (i.e. 50-70% lower performance). And I said it would be a decade behind the 4050, which should see around 50% gains on the 3050. So again, no, Intel 14XXX or Ryzen 8000 iGPU's are absolutely not going to come anywhere close to rendering low end dGPU's like a desktop 4050 pointless or obsolete. The 4050 will be MORE than a decade ahead of the cut down iGPU's they put in desktop CPU's.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The 780M will do good to be in the same ballpark of a GTX 970 or RX 470/480 in practice (synthetic 3DMark benches already place it a good piece behind them, which are coincidentally 10 year old parts), and they're never going to put that many CU's in a desktop part. You'll be incredibly lucky to get a 4 or 6 CU version in the desktop Ryzen 8000's (i.e. 50-70% lower performance). And I said it would be a decade behind the 4050, which should see around 50% gains on the 3050. So again, no, Intel 14XXX or Ryzen 8000 iGPU's are absolutely not going to come anywhere close to rendering low end dGPU's like a desktop 4050 pointless or obsolete. The 4050 will be MORE than a decade ahead of the cut down iGPU's they put in desktop CPU's.

The tests we have are leaks, with unoptimized drivers. So performance might improve.
And you do realize that the difference between a GTX 970 and a 3050 is 50%. For an integrated GPU to be this close, is pretty good.

Unlike the other member you were talking with, I'm not claiming that APUs will catch up to dedicated GPUs. But they are not as far behind as you claimed.
Even the 5700G, from 2021 has much more power than the 500 GFLOPs of the 7000 series you mentioned.
And a potential 7700G will have even more.

hinch7

The 3050 is a 10TF part loosely equivalent to a GTX 1080, and still somewhat competitive with a PS5/SX. The current Ryzen 7000s iGPU is around 500Gflops, or broadly equivalent to Nintendo Switch. How in the world do you figure the next gen CPUs are even going to come within an order of magnitude of a 4050? They will be more than a decade behind it. The desktop 4050 will significantly outperform PS5 and SX, and you're proposing a Ryzen 8700 or i7 14700's iGPU is going to render it pointless? Come'on now.
Didn't say it would approach 4050 performance but it will be enough for most people who use their laptops for some casual gaming. If the 780m reaches 1060 level of performance.

That or spend several hundreds more for a laptop with a entry level DGPU.

Last edited:

Quixz

The chip is very efficient I don't understand why 5.2Ghz at least was not possible

Last edited:
Amazing performance indeed, just wow! I want to upgrade my Ryzen 5 3600 but I can't justify the price of a new motherboard + RAM on top of the new CPU.. So I'll pick one from the Ryzen 5000 series for now 😁

supernova8

Banned
Amazing performance indeed, just wow! I want to upgrade my Ryzen 5 3600 but I can't justify the price of a new motherboard + RAM on top of the new CPU.. So I'll pick one from the Ryzen 5000 series for now 😁
Yeah I'm thinking of getting myself a 5800X3D when the time is right. It should give a bit of a performance bump to my 6600 XT, which is likely being held back a bit by my 3400G APU. My only slight concern is BIOS flashing/updating since that's one of the few PC building-related things I've never done.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Yeah I'm thinking of getting myself a 5800X3D when the time is right. It should give a bit of a performance bump to my 6600 XT, which is likely being held back a bit by my 3400G APU. My only slight concern is BIOS flashing/updating since that's one of the few PC building-related things I've never done.
What's your current motherboard?

Hero_Select

So what's a good mobo/RAM to pair with this right now? Think I'll pull the trigger and upgrade this 10600k.
I've looked arounda decent bit and the Trident Z Neos seems to be pretty good great ram for it. As for mobo.. I kept reading mixed things. In the end I went with an Asrock one

Flashing the bios is always one of those things that is nerve-racking the first time but always goes well as long as you read the instructions 🙂

Sakura

I don't really understand the modern CPU market. What exactly is the point of getting CPUs like these? When are you going to be CPU bound in a game?
Benchmarks show games in 1080p no RT etc just so they can show the FPS when CPU bound, but who plays like this? In reality you are going to be GPU bound.
I understand there is an argument for competitive games wanting high framerates, but those games are less demanding in the first place and not difficult to get to high FPS.

winjer

Gold Member
I don't really understand the modern CPU market. What exactly is the point of getting CPUs like these? When are you going to be CPU bound in a game?
Benchmarks show games in 1080p no RT etc just so they can show the FPS when CPU bound, but who plays like this? In reality you are going to be GPU bound.
I understand there is an argument for competitive games wanting high framerates, but those games are less demanding in the first place and not difficult to get to high FPS.

One metric that is considerably more important that average fps, is minimum fps. The latter shows how smooth a game can run. How well it can maintain a constant frame rate.
Having a good CPU, most of the time doesn't improve average fps that much, but it can improve minimum fps by a lot.
This is what I noticed when moving from a 3700X to a 5800X3D. And it is was a great experience.

The other thing to consider is that most people change GPUs more often than they change CPUs. This happens because changing CPU, a lot of the time, also requires changing motherboard and memory.
So investing in a good CPU, means that a future GPU is less likely to be bottlenecked.

Tarnpanzer

- Emulation
- Flight Sim, other CPU Taxing Strategy-Games
- Push for higher framerates than 60, i.e. 120/144/240 etc. to match your TV/Monitor Refresh Rate

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People are always begging for new console hardware. It's almost as if the current hardware is never good enough.
It is not begging for new HW, I see it as trying to future gaze at what the next HW could look like.

I much rather have MS and Sony save every wasted penny in designing and launching Pro consoles and spend all that in R&D for the next generation HW at its proper pace. We need software, engines and tools, to catch up to the current generation HW and allow the next generation HW enough time to deliver the next leap we need.

There is so much more performance we can get out of the current consoles it is not even funny IMHO.

GreatnessRD

ASUS B450M, it supports 3000 series but based on my googling it most likely needs a bios update before I can safely use the 5000 series CPUs
Oh yeah, you'll be fine. Asus even has it where it can download and install the BIOS for you in the BIOS menu without you needing to download it through a USB. Pretty straight forward and easy to do. My first BIOS flash was on an Asus Strix B450-F board. Man, time flies when you're having fun.

supernova8

Banned
Oh yeah, you'll be fine. Asus even has it where it can download and install the BIOS for you in the BIOS menu without you needing to download it through a USB. Pretty straight forward and easy to do. My first BIOS flash was on an Asus Strix B450-F board. Man, time flies when you're having fun.
Excited Nick Splat GIF by Hey Arnold

Awesome in that case sounds like I have nothing to worry about!

Top Bottom