• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 4 reviews

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wow the 3D V-Cache looks really nice.

CPUs keep getting ludicrously better. That 30% gain is only from the first wave of 3DVC chips too. I shudder to think the types of CPUs you could get for under $300 in a few years time. Even without expecting crazy 90's style performance hikes. Tech is getting like Dragon Ball, there SHOULD NOT be more power levels to ascend to, but there is anyway it just never ends lol...
X3D is a damn golden child for gaming.
AMD might have even made it too good.

For a pure gaming rig X3D is just the way to go.
AMD dont even acknowledge the 5800X3D in their presentation cuz it would belittle their whole new generation of CPUs......cuz you know us gamers all we care about is gaming performance.

Im sure they have a 7800X3D ready for launch, but they could show it off at the presentation cuz then it would make the 7950X look bad.
Sure the 7950X will crush it in Blender......but in gaming it would be the best of the best.....so what to do what to do?
Present it next year NOT against 7950X but against RPL.....just act like your own products dont exist.

Theyve put themselves in a weird position.....good for us, probably a bitch for their marketing team though.

Either make everything X3D or release an X3D down the line vs the competition.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im willing to bet the yields on the x3D is no where near where AMD would like and it’s the reason they didn’t put it in the new chips.

BlackTron

X3D is a damn golden child for gaming.
AMD might have even made it too good.

For a pure gaming rig X3D is just the way to go.
AMD dont even acknowledge the 5800X3D in their presentation cuz it would belittle their whole new generation of CPUs......cuz you know us gamers all we care about is gaming performance.

Im sure they have a 7800X3D ready for launch, but they could show it off at the presentation cuz then it would make the 7950X look bad.
Sure the 7950X will crush it in Blender......but in gaming it would be the best of the best.....so what to do what to do?
Present it next year NOT against 7950X but against RPL.....just act like your own products dont exist.

Theyve put themselves in a weird position.....good for us, probably a bitch for their marketing team though.

Either make everything X3D or release an X3D down the line vs the competition.

You're right about us gamers, I skipped right to X3D and didn't even acknowledge the CPUs that the thread are about.

Their poor marketing team is in a position of trying to make that not happen, sucks to be them lmao.

Black_Stride

Im willing to bet the yields on the x3D is no where near where AMD would like and it’s the reason they didn’t put it in the new chips.
If the X3D is an exact copy of the last version of X3D then it would easily upgrade performance at a rate of like 15% atleast.
If its an upgraded version of the last version....then everything else in their brand new stack is pointless for gamers cuz all you need is the X3D.
Give up some productivity for the fastest gaming CPU......geee.....I wonder what gamers will do?

They already had a dual CCD X3D prototype some time back.
200MB of cache, would eat through games....absolutely eat through games.
Single CCD X3D on a 7800X3D would get rid of any possible latency issue and be blazing fast.

arch1.jpg

Last edited:
So, AMD has caught up to Intel's 12th gen performance at 10nm with their own 5nm process, meanwhile, Intel's 13th gen is on it's way, still 10nm and will more than likely come out on top.
Intel CPUs draw way more power and keep your room pretty warm in the winter.

Obviously, it may not matter to most people.

My situation is that I have a 4K 60hz monitor, there is no point in upgrading for gaming (I have a 5800x)... Even any decent CPU from the last 5 years is sufficient for good gaming performance.

00_Zer0

Depite LTT click baity title Linus has a good point regarding the 5800X3D and a gamers use scenario. If you look at some of the bench mark charts, while not top of the line, the 5800X3D is great value for those who want one more upgrade path on their AM3 boards. This would describe me. I can't wait to see if my local Microcenter has a sale on this cpu this upcoming holiday season. I will be snatching it up and upgrading from my faithful 3700X.

Last edited:
Intel CPUs draw way more power and keep your room pretty warm in the winter.

Obviously, it may not matter to most people.

My situation is that I have a 4K 60hz monitor, there is no point in upgrading for gaming (I have a 5800x)... Even any decent CPU from the last 5 years is sufficient for good gaming performance.
I'm not poor and my CPU doesn't use max performance at all times, so this argument doesn't bother me whatsoever. I also use water cooling for the most part.

13900K stock vs 13900 stock will thermal boost pretty much exactly the same I think theres like 300Mhz tops between them best case(Its really down to silicon lottery)
Youll gain all of 5fps at best...and we arent talking a difference of 55 and 60, we are talking 170fps vs 175fps, and as games get more advanced that 300Mhz actually just stops mattering and the CPUs IPC matters more....of which they have the same.
An imperceptible difference but youll be paying an extra maybe 100 to 150 dollars for those 5fps.
K chips only make sense if you are memory overclocking or actually CPU overclocking, otherwise stick to non-k.

maxresdefault.jpg

XeMoGEo.png
I see now I’m glad I asked you what’s the best place to buy these parts in your opinion

Black_Stride

I see now I’m glad I asked you what’s the best place to buy these parts in your opinion
Microcenter obviously.

P.S:
I dont know where you live, what kinda deals you manage to get on your own, I generally just quote the ~MSRP, I wouldnt know which stores have the best deals in your area.
I used to work for a PC building store years ago, and still build and upgrade PCs for friends and family, so ive got some phone calls I can make when I need something.
That and im generally very patient.....I can wait even a month for something to be delivered if it saves me dollars.

GreatnessRD

All the good the 7000 series had was nuked for me by those dumbass motherboard prices. Asus has a microATX board that cost FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE UNITED MURICA DOLLAR.

Please, suck a dick and die. With that said, just glad to see competition back between Project Pat and Su Bae.

is it safe to assume that raptor lake is gonna be above zen 4 performance? but then is amd-kage lisa su gonna use the power of the rinnengan and do a cpu/gpu style double jitsu and shinra tensei intel and Nvidia with zen 4 3d cache and rdna 3?

thuGG_pl

So I'll be upgrading my PC after 5 years. And possibly it will be Zen 4 since it's a new socket to be suported for fairly long time.

But...

WTF, there are no high performance DDR5 memory in 16 GB dual channel (2x 8GB) size. All the testing was done on 6000 MHz CL30 memory, but those not exist as 8GB modules...
So in order to extract full potential out of the new CPU I'm basically forced to buy 32GB which I don't really need. Not to mention DDR5 prices altogether.
Shit market.

Microcenter obviously.

P.S:
I dont know where you live, what kinda deals you manage to get on your own, I generally just quote the ~MSRP, I wouldnt know which stores have the best deals in your area.
I used to work for a PC building store years ago, and still build and upgrade PCs for friends and family, so ive got some phone calls I can make when I need something.
That and im generally very patient.....I can wait even a month for something to be delivered if it saves me dollars.
I see

Chiggs

Depite LTT click baity title Linus has a good point regarding the 5800X3D and a gamers use scenario. If you look at some of the bench mark charts, while not top of the line, the 5800X3D is great value for those who want one more upgrade path on their AM3 boards. This would describe me. I can't wait to see if my local Microcenter has a sale on this cpu this upcoming holiday season. I will be snatching it up and upgrading from my faithful 3700X.

Black_Stride

5800X3D beating the 13900K in some titles is too funny, but not as funny as the bullshit charts Intel is using.

AMD is licking their chops. Vcache is 6-7 months away, tops. Maybe sooner.

Edit: Party foul. Quoted myself.
AMD ignored the 5800X3D entirely.
Intel atleast even acknowledged that the thing exists, regardless of slide trickery.

AMD is running away from the 5800X3D like the plague.
What make AMD look bad is them making a whole new architecture, going to DDR5 and they cant beat their own lastgen product?
Theyve lost the value proposition the Y600X used to be.
They really should have just 3DVcached all their flagship products, then released cheaper none X units without 3DVcache.

If they are releasing a 7800X3D next year, it will actually be taking on MeteorLake not RaptorLake.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Intel atleast even acknowledged that the thing exists, regardless of slide trickery.

What make AMD look bad is them making a whole new architecture, going to DDR5 and they cant beat their own lastgen product?

"Trickery?" That's certainly a nice way to put it.

Anyway, the 7950X is a performance monster for people who want gaming and production. Value prop? Definitely not, but if you've got the use case, why not? And at least AM5 will have legs.

But really, at this point, if you're gaming at 1440P or 4K, is anyone really going to notice the difference between AMD and Intel CPUs over $300 (shamelessly ripping off Steve from GN)? I personally don't think so. Though, I might be underestimating the draw of masturbating to 1080P benchmarks.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Theyve lost the value proposition the Y600X used to be.
They really should have just 3DVcached all their flagship products, then released cheaper none X units without 3DVcache.

If they are releasing a 7800X3D next year, it will actually be taking on MeteorLake not RaptorLake.
It will be taking on Intel's 6GHz KS SKU for Raptor Lake. I think they will V-cache two SKUs this go around. One of the 7950/7900x and the 7800x that is absent from the launch stack. Some think the 7600x will get a 3D chip. I'd be very surprised, personally.

This is correct. The 3D chips are EPYC dies which failed to make the cut. Any EPYC die that is good enough will of course be sold as the high margin high profit EPYC, not the low margin low profit consumer lineup. AMD has to build up a stock of these rejected EPYC samples before they can start selling them. This may take at least several months which is why people are anticipating the 3D versions of the 7000 series sometime in early 2023.

Black_Stride

"Trickery?" That's certainly a nice way to put it.

Anyway, the 7950X is a performance monster for people who want gaming and production. Value prop? Definitely not, but if you've got the use case, why not? And at least AM5 will have legs.

But really, at this point, if you're gaming at 1440P or 4K, is anyone really going to notice the difference between AMD and Intel CPUs over $300 (shamelessly ripping off Steve from GN)? I personally don't think so. Though, I might be underestimating the draw of masturbating to 1080P benchmarks.
If all you do is game you shouldnt even be spending over 200 dollars on a CPU.
So 300 is actually overpriced.

An i3-12100 costs like 100 dollars and gets you close enough to the finish line you wouldnt notice tripling or quadrupling or hextupling the price to gets its bigger brothers.
If you multitask heavily maybe the 200 dollar i5-12400.
Until more advanced games come along that actually utilize the CPU beyond just needing a lead core and IPC, gaming rigs are in the sweetest spot theyve been, for a long time, cuz you dont need to buy any of the higher end SKUs to get a full experience.
Even the whole 4 cores will bottleneck you, nonsense has yet again been proven wrong, a single fast enough core will out work 2 slower cores.
The 4 core 12100 matches or beats the 8 core 3700X more often than not.

P.S The reason to bench at 1080p is to see where the CPUs actually land versus each other sans GPU bottleneck.
Yes, currently at 4K, you are GPU bound and the CPU basically doesnt matter, but GPU power basically doubles every 2 years, you want to anecdotally gauge when your CPU is going to be the bottleneck of your system, and which CPU makes the most sense to go the furthest into the future with.

Reactions: Gp1

Outlier

Question for those who say choosing the mid-range CPU over the high-end CPU, when it comes to gaming.

I can understand using the mid-range CPU for most standard games, but wouldn't the high-end CPU be considerably better for CPU intensive games, such as Universe Sandbox, BeamNG, Cities Skylines?

I think I've heard in the past that it depends on how the game is designed to use CPUs, so it might not actually help to use a high-end CPU if the game isn't designed to make use of it. True or false?

I ask, because I want to ensure I can push those games many calculations as far as the CPU can handle, to experience all the on-screen action.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good news on the temps.

It's heating up literally, lol

Want to see how the 13900ks lines up as that will be my next chip but super excited to see the 3d cache amd chips as that will be my next purchase in 5 years or so.

Want to see how the tech is evolving.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Motherfucker, those new boards are expensive as fuck. Normal board is around the same as those elusive limited edition of X570 in here....

I will probably go for ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Motherfucker, those new boards are expensive as fuck. Normal board is around the same as those elusive limited edition of X570 in here....

I will probably go for ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

It's the same stunt AMD pulled with Zen3. Releasing first the more expensive X570 motherboards, and only several months later, releasing the B50 boards, with more reasonable prices.
People might consider to just wait for B650 to have better a price/performance platform.

OZ9000

Banned
It's the same stunt AMD pulled with Zen3. Releasing first the more expensive X570 motherboards, and only several months later, releasing the B50 boards, with more reasonable prices.
People might consider to just wait for B650 to have better a price/performance platform.
Prices are ridiculous tbh. CPU + MOBO alone will cost £800-900 here. Also don't understand the trend for increasing wattage/heat/power consumption. I'd rather keep my system as cool and efficient as possible.

I remember being a fully fledged gaming PC for £1200 all in 4 years ago (Ryzen 2600X, Mobo, RAM, SSD, RTX 2080) etc.

I'm more than happy to stick with my 5700X for now.

winjer

Gold Member
Prices are ridiculous tbh. CPU + MOBO alone will cost £800-900 here. Also don't understand the trend for increasing wattage/heat/power consumption. I'd rather keep my system as cool and efficient as possible.

I remember being a fully fledged gaming PC for £1200 all in 4 years ago (Ryzen 2600X, Mobo, RAM, SSD, RTX 2080) etc.

I'm more than happy to stick with my 5700X for now.

Companies like Intel, AMD and NVidia can increase performance either by using more die space or higher clock speeds.
Pushing clocks doesn't cost much, but increasing die area is increasingly more expensive.
And because most reviewers and consumers focus more on performance, than power usage and temperatures, there isn't much of a pushback against these practices.

GreatnessRD

Question for those who say choosing the mid-range CPU over the high-end CPU, when it comes to gaming.

I can understand using the mid-range CPU for most standard games, but wouldn't the high-end CPU be considerably better for CPU intensive games, such as Universe Sandbox, BeamNG, Cities Skylines?

I think I've heard in the past that it depends on how the game is designed to use CPUs, so it might not actually help to use a high-end CPU if the game isn't designed to make use of it. True or false?

I ask, because I want to ensure I can push those games many calculations as far as the CPU can handle, to experience all the on-screen action.
Depends on the game but as of now, nah. Most games don't utilize all those cores in say the 5900x/5950 (7950x/7900x) You'd be wasting money. Anything above an 8 core cpu (or higher than a 12-700K for Intel's side) RIGHT NOW is a waste for gaming. Now if you do other work or you're a content creator then it makes sense. But if you just web browse like me and play games every now and again, nah.

M1chl

But I do need a lot of PCIe links to be exposed on the board, as far as I know in lower tier chipset, there is like 1x16 slot and one NVMe, I need at least 2 x16/8 slots and more NVMes the better. So i have to opt to higher tier. But still those prices are insane.

winjer

Gold Member
But I do need a lot of PCIe links to be exposed on the board, as far as I know in lower tier chipset, there is like 1x16 slot and one NVMe, I need at least 2 x16/8 slots and more NVMes the better. So i have to opt to higher tier. But still those prices are insane.

In that case, you are stuck to paying a premium price.
Maybe during Black Friday there will be some deals you can use.

thuGG_pl

Well 7700X is matching it in gaming and beating it in productivity, so I'm not sure what your are talking about. For similar price (obviously the whole platform is more expensive atm).

Last edited:

killatopak

I don't know the answer to those questions but I personally just go for high end cause I play Paradox games that are notorious for chugging at late game when there's too much simulation going on.

Like literally nothing is happening on screen but there's like 50-100k npcs interacting on the backend doing political shit. You can tweak ini files to cull npcs at 20k or something but that's gimping the game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Do you really need X670E over B650E?:
UldutTrTGCiTUTDX.jpg
This is ridiculous. There is no need for 4 models here. They should drop the nonE versions and leave the PCIe 4 only out. If these things are going to last several CPU generations, it also means people will likely slot in a new GPU. Why fuck them now just so you can price Mobos from 150 to 600. Oh right, just to be cunts.

winjer

Gold Member
Well in this case B650E it is. Who would have thought. Still the question is how much cheaper those boards will be.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But even the cheapest B650 is going to cost 200$. Probably more in Europe.
The B650E is probably going to be a sit between the B650 and X670.

M1chl

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But even the cheapest B650 is going to cost 200$. Probably more in Europe.
The B650E is probably going to be a sit between the B650 and X670.

Hmm expected, but still it's not 500 USD, my X570-E cost me 10k CZK which is ~400USD, so I would like at worst to cost the same. All boards with X670E are more expensive than that, from what I found on local market.

Top Bottom