• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Thread 2: Evil doesn't prevail July 13th - Final day

ChrisG is probably the worst Vergil player of all of the Marvel gods.

uh.... no.

His Vergil is better than Justin's and Champ's. Well he has better combos than Justin, Justin probably has smoother mixup, but like Scroll says Chris knows how to lock down better than anyone with Vergil + missiles.

I was up, but then I went down to even, Wanna play Avatar again but Wynn only has a 2-seater booooo.

Still drunk though :O

Avatar is everywhere. There's 4 seat row at PH, there's a 4 seat row at Cromwell, I'm pretty sure I saw it at Flamingo/Quad area as well. Caesar I believe I saw it as well.

Curious.... why did the LVH/Westgate suck for some of you that stayed there?

I loved it, haha. The Elvis con was weird but didn't get in the way. Staff were always super friendly, it's away from the Strip/hordes of drunks on the streets, very reasonable food prices, decent alternative food options at walking distance, great rooms, free parking...

As for Evo 2014... this year was the best out of the 5 times we've gone. My bf made it out of pools this year, hung out with old and new acquaintances, and all three days were a lot of fun overall with the weekend peaking on Finals day. Organizers did an insanely great job this year.

smurfx

get some go again
ChrisG is probably the worst Vergil player of all of the Marvel gods.
he does really well with just regular vergil. his vergil is probably underrated because you don't usually see him use dark vergil.

I don't even count PR Rog as one of the gods anymore. Or Flocker after this year's Evo. Just down to JWong, FChamp, and ChrisG. There are some folks really working hard that might rise up there, though. I thought RayRay was stellar.
it really should just be 3 gods. i don't see anybody ever getting up to their level or taking their spot unless one of them decides to ditch the game.

LakeEarth

Justin, Champ, Marn, ChrisG, Viscant were all pretty good from the early days of MVC3. Fanatiq was in there. Clockwork was good. Richard Nyugen was doing some dirty things with Dante.

If you go back and watch the very first WNF that had MVC3 (the day after it came out), it's funny to see how much better Justin Wong was than anybody else. He was already playing his current team and bodying people. Mike Ross was doing MVC2 lightning attacks into super lol.

It's on YouTube.

I remember that, just tearing people apart with constant level 3s from Wolverine (cause of vanilla MvC3 meter building). I still remember Marn going on stream and saying "I have been playing this wrong" after getting crushed by Justin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Avatar is everywhere. There's 4 seat row at PH, there's a 4 seat row at Cromwell, I'm pretty sure I saw it at Flamingo/Quad area as well. Caesar I believe I saw it as well.

Ahhh nice. Perhaps we'll check it out.

I loved it, haha. The Elvis con was weird but didn't get in the way. Staff were always super friendly, it's away from the Strip/hordes of drunks on the streets, very reasonable food prices, decent alternative food options at walking distance, great rooms, free parking...

As for Evo 2014... this year was the best out of the 5 times we've gone. My bf made it out of pools this year, hung out with old and new acquaintances, and all three days were a lot of fun overall with the weekend peaking on Finals day. Organizers did an insanely great job this year.

Westgate sucked because the elevators were few and slow as hell. The food options were limited, especially from 10pm to 12am.

The wifi sucked too.

There seemed to be more GAF people around than I thought, apparently.

For some reason, what sticks with me more are the Evo moments, not the actual champs. The Daigo parry, the PR Rog tron-bonne comeback (was that Evo? not sure). They should consider giving out an award for most hyped match of the weekend or something. I think people remember those more than the actual winners.

For some reason, what sticks with me more are the Evo moments, not the actual champs. The Daigo parry, the PR Rog tron-bonne comeback (was that Evo? not sure). They should consider giving out an award for most hyped match of the weekend or something. I think people remember those more than the actual winners.

Yeah, that was Evo 2011.

Me and Q had to go in 3 different rooms before they got it right.

EVO 2011 - Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Commy vs. D3athWish's Mindgames

This was a vid that has way less views than it should from evo 2011

I won't spoil it, but D3athWish executes the best multi-layered mind game I've seen in a tournament, it's too bad he didn't make it to top 8

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hello NeoGAF & FG Fans!

I wanted to make a post that covers a lot of things. I just got home from EVO. It was a long and stressful weekend. I hope everyone enjoyed the event and stream.

I wanted to cover the Skullgirls incident on the Mad Catz stage/stream. First and foremost I want to apologize to the Skullgirls community and Lab Zero Games for not being able to stream the top 8 of the tournament as originally planned. This is what happened.

TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 exhibition started an hour late (players didn't show up on time). It was never meant to be a round-robin like they did; it was supposed to be team battle/waseda style. I was NOT there when it started. I had to take care of business at the event. Unfortunately EVO is not just a fun event; it is also work where business meetings and important discussions happen. I was off-site and not at our stage area for a few hours.

This should not be blamed on anyone else (Mad Catz staff, Bifuteki, etc.) I take pride in my staff and team that worked on the stage events. It wasn't easy and I will back them up with everything. However I DO blame the TEKKEN community for not showing up on time. That's not cool. I told them that as well prior to me leaving. We still let them use the stage for some exhibitions.

If I knew they were running in to extended time I would have kicked them off so we could do the top 8 (which was going to be top 16, based on Render's estimation/timing) - and I was cool with that. Again since I was away and not having visibility, I didn't know what was going on. Aside from that. We had another obligation at 3PM that we could not move (we agreed to do this way before we made any obligations to work with any community).

I checked my phone while I was away to see all the anger/hate on the Mad Catz twitter feed. When I got back to EVO I wanted to make it clear that this was not our intention to snub Skullgirls. In fact, I really wanted to help the community showcase their title. So I feel so bad about all this but since the damage was already done, there is really nothing we can do other than just get shit done and learn from it. We'll do a better job in the future - and we'll be there for the SG community to support.

Sorry again guys.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
ALSO!

It was a pleasure to meet so many NeoGAF members at EVO 2014. Thanks for taking the time to stop by the Mad Catz booth and introduce yourselves. I really appreciate the time and just hanging out.

I hope you guys also enjoyed the commentary for TTT2 and liked the TEKKEN 7 reveal.

I will continue to work hard for the community I love. <3

Myn

Hello NeoGAF & FG Fans!

I wanted to make a post that covers a lot of things. I just got home from EVO. It was a long and stressful weekend. I hope everyone enjoyed the event and stream.

I wanted to cover the Skullgirls incident on the Mad Catz stage/stream. First and foremost I want to apologize to the Skullgirls community and Lab Zero Games for not being able to stream the top 8 of the tournament as originally planned. This is what happened.

TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 exhibition started an hour late (players didn't show up on time). It was never meant to be a round-robin like they did; it was supposed to be team battle/waseda style. I was NOT there when it started. I had to take care of business at the event. Unfortunately EVO is not just a fun event; it is also work where business meetings and important discussions happen. I was off-site and not at our stage area for a few hours.

This should not be blamed on anyone else (Mad Catz staff, Bifuteki, etc.) I take pride in my staff and team that worked on the stage events. It wasn't easy and I will back them up with everything. However I DO blame the TEKKEN community for not showing up on time. That's not cool. I told them that as well prior to me leaving. We still let them use the stage for some exhibitions.

If I knew they were running in to extended time I would have kicked them off so we could do the top 8 (which was going to be top 16, based on Render's estimation/timing) - and I was cool with that. Again since I was away and not having visibility, I didn't know what was going on. Aside from that. We had another obligation at 3PM that we could not move (we agreed to do this way before we made any obligations to work with any community).

I checked my phone while I was away to see all the anger/hate on the Mad Catz twitter feed. When I got back to EVO I wanted to make it clear that this was not our intention to snub Skullgirls. In fact, I really wanted to help the community showcase their title. So I feel so bad about all this but since the damage was already done, there is really nothing we can do other than just get shit done and learn from it. We'll do a better job in the future - and we'll be there for the SG community to support.

Sorry again guys.

The Madcatz stream had a really good playlist going during intermissions as well.

I watched some of the stream. You guys did a great job and good shit to you Mark for continuing to do what you do. I did see you at EVO 2011, but didn't want to approach you when you were friends at a restaurant. Hopefully I can attend next year and say hello.

And now for a slimy request. Mark, next time MCZ does a Unveiled event, get Louffy to play Daigo in a FT10. He's done that against the 2 previous EVO champs. Keep the tradition going and have the new champ face off against the Beast. They have some history(Daigo has the better of Louffy I believe) and I think the match up is pretty interesting. Just wanted to throw that idea out there. I remember you asking us for suggestions a while back. I said Louffy vs Mago back then, but that is too free for Louffy. Against the Beast with prep time, that should be a pretty good match up.

Also requesting that you keep track of popular players during the elimination rounds - part of the hype generated for each Evo is to see if any the big name players make it such as Daigo. Will be worth it for the views imo :)

I watched some of the stream. You guys did a great job and good shit to you Mark for continuing to do what you do. I did see you at EVO 2011, but didn't want to approach you when you were friends at a restaurant. Hopefully I can attend next year and say hello.

And now for a slimy request. Mark, next time MCZ does a Unveiled event, get Louffy to play Daigo in a FT10. He's done that against the 2 previous EVO champs. Keep the tradition going and have the new champ face off against the Beast. They have some history(Daigo has the better of Louffy I believe) and I think the match up is pretty interesting. Just wanted to throw that idea out there. I remember you asking us for suggestions a while back. I said Louffy vs Mago back then, but that is too free for Louffy. Against the Beast with prep time, that should be a pretty good match up.

You just want to see Evil Ryu kick Rose's ass don't you? Just be blunt don't hide around the bushes like that!

Vice

This so much. How many times a random missile saved his ass when he was about to get pummeled.

Nope. The hyperbole is always too much after Evo. Chris G is a player who has dominated in the game for years. Same for Rog, Champ and Flocker. Just because Flocker, Champ and Chris got beat by the other players at their level, and Rog had an off day, doesn't mean they are suddenly on a level below Wong.

They've all been taken out or sent to losers by players like RayRay, Flux, Neo, Apologyman, Angelic, Kane and Insayne in the past people just tend to over rate their skill and not understand how small the gap is between the gods and the players just below their level. Everyone is leveling up in all of these games. This is the same year Infilitration got beat by Velociraptor and and Snake Eyes, Ricky and Luffy ran through a list of the best Japanese players in the world. The skill gap is narrowing.

Nope. The hyperbole is always too much after Evo. Chris G is a player who has dominated in the game for years. Same for Rog, Champ and Flocker. Just because Flocker, Champ and Chris got beat by the other players at their level, and Rog had an off day, doesn't mean they are suddenly on a level below Wong.

They've all been taken out or sent to losers by players like RayRay, Flux, Neo, Apologyman, Angelic, Kane and Insayne in the past people just tend to over rate their skill and not understand how small the gap is between the gods and the players just below their level. Everyone is leveling up in all of these games. This is the same year Infilitration got beat by Velociraptor and and Snake Eyes, Ricky and Luffy ran through a list of the best Japanese players in the world. The skill gap is narrowing.

I don't think Kane ever beat Justin (main team not his wesker team), Champ (maybe? not sure), or Chris G in tournament. Not sure about PR Balrog.

I don't think Justin has lost to Angelic either and if he has it was probably only once. Neo beat Justin like once too, and I think he beat Champ once, but this is out of like 10+ tries.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good shit MarkMan, it must be tough getting all that organized. Your booth this year was sexy as hell.

Did you guys ever get around to that karaoke thing? My friend and I tried to keep a lookout for it, but didn't see it.

Vice

I don't think Kane ever beat Justin (main team not his wesker team), Champ (maybe? not sure), or Chris G in tournament. Not sure about PR Balrog.

I don't think Justin has lost to Angelic either and if he has it was probably only once. Neo beat Justin like once too, and I think he beat Champ once, but this is out of like 10+ tries.

KBR has tournamet wins over Champ at NCR last year and I believe a win over Chris G in a team tournament. In tournament play I believe Neo and Wong are even, the only video I could find of the two is Neo reseting the bracket and winning and this past weekends Evo match.

There is also play outside of tournaments. Yipes and Nemo aren't highly regarded because of his tournament play for example but many would place them at, or slightly below, Wong-Rog-Champ-Flocker's level.

Also, this does not change the small skill gap because these players do win over the gods in tournament and outside.

KBR has tournamet wins over Champ at NCR last year and I believe a win over Chris G in a team tournament. In tournament play I believe Neo and Wong are even, the only video I could find of the two is Neo reseting the bracket and winning and this past weekends Evo match.

There is also play outside of tournaments. Yipes and Nemo aren't highly regarded because of his tournament play for example but many would place them at, or slightly below, Wong-Rog-Champ-Flocker's level.

Also, this does not change the small skill gap because these players do win over the gods in tournament and outside.

KBR/Champ - You said wins exactly how many? 1? 2? It's at least 3-1 or 4-1 ratio in Champ's favor. AKA every single NCR/NWM/ FGTV tournament Champ ran when KBR stayed over.

KBR/Chris G - 1 literally 1 team tournament win....

Justin/Neo - There is no way this is true I need to see video evidence. I can recall 1 Neo win (and it wasn't even a major it was TRB) and about 4-5 Justin win. I really need to see evidence to believe this one.

I'm not talking about casuals. I don't care about casuals I'm talking tournament everyone knows Yipes is a casual beast, but that doesn't translate to wins when it counts.

Vice

KBR/Champ - You said wins exactly how many? 1? 2? It's at least 3-1 or 4-1 ratio in Champ's favor. AKA every single NCR/NWM/ FGTV tournament Champ ran when KBR stayed over.

KBR/Chris G - 1 literally 1 team tournament win....

Justin/Neo - There is no way this is true I need to see video evidence. I can recall 1 Neo win (and it wasn't even a major it was TRB) and about 4-5 Justin win. I really need to see evidence to believe this one.

I'm not talking about casuals. I don't care about casuals I'm talking tournament everyone knows Yipes is a casual beast, but that doesn't translate to wins when it counts.

The only Neo vs J. Wong match I can find in Marvel 3 online. The bracket reset and win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GweX6umqI

Also, that does not change the narrow gap between those top players and the ones just outside of their skill range.For example, Apologyman has beaten Rog and Champ consistently and Cloud has done well against Wong and Champ in tournaments and long sets as well, iirc. You are focusing on a few names lsited rather than at the overall picture I am trying to paint. Those players have all done well against them in casuals and tournament play at various times and have been doing better as of late, outside of KBR, whose team got figured out, and Neo, who is on the PR Rog "no practice" train.

You just want to see Evil Ryu kick Rose's ass don't you? Just be blunt don't hide around the bushes like that!

No, it's not that at all
FUCK YEAH IT IS

But seriously I think it would be a good match. I think Rose is one of Evil Ryu's worse match ups so I'd love to see what the Beast can do against Louffy who is probably at an all time peak now. Daigo has gotten the better of Louffy in the past, but that was with Ryu. Now that he's switched character and Louffy has a better Rose, I think it makes for a intriguing match up. Besides, who else would you get to face off against Daigo in the next MCZ Unveiled event?

Prototype

After watching this Evo, and rose, thru the finals and grand finals, I think Guile should get his sonic boom meter gain from Super back.

I don't think it makes rose op at all, but it makes her a contender. I'd like for Guile to be a contender too.

EDIT.
I'd be down to see luff v daigo exhibition.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Avatar slots game I love you lmao.

I spent enough cash to qualify for a spin with the red card, but the red card booth is closed, and wont open until after I plan to leave. Plus the points expire after a year, so if EVO next year is a little later, they vanish.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

jtenma

Banned
I missed EVO this year... Any highlights I should be looking out for as I watch the archives?

Matter fact, can I get a recap (or preferably a link) to some of the most hype stuff?

Please ;_;

Bizazedo

Me and Q had to go in 3 different rooms before they got it right.

Honestly, that's normal Beef. Hotels mess up rooms for us all the time.

Caesar's screwed up mine in 2012 for Evo :(. Lots of people request handicapped rooms and don't need them, so they don't prioritize it heavily....but when us "reals" show up...oof.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally made it back to Richmond. TSA pulled my bag during screening because of my arcade stick. Lol
Yeah you need to treat them like laptops and take them out of your bag and into a separate tray. Otherwise it looks suspicious since in the xray machine they see a box with a bunch of wires in it hahaha

Anyone know of a good list that includes all the various pools, noteworthy matches and top x for whichever game? Preferably spoiler-free if possible. Haven't really had the time to look around myself, so figured it's worth a shot to ask in here.

donth8dre

Banned
I would like to say thanks to all those who tuned into the Madcatz stream that Mark allowed me to do for them. It was truly an honor working with them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been wanting to ask this, and now seems like a good time to bring it up:
Do you all feel that UMvC3 is a worthy successor to MvC2?
Absolutely.

The game is better in more ways, and different enough that it's not just MvC2-2. They took all the right risks, except for TAC balancing.

I missed EVO this year... Any highlights I should be looking out for as I watch the archives?

Matter fact, can I get a recap (or preferably a link) to some of the most hype stuff?

Please ;_;
SRK bundled up some of the highlights here:
http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/15/relive-all-you-favorite-grand-finals-moments-from-evo-2014-videos/

Anyone know of a good list that includes all the various pools, noteworthy matches and top x for whichever game? Preferably spoiler-free if possible. Haven't really had the time to look around myself, so figured it's worth a shot to ask in here.
Took this shot of USFIV quarter finals winner's bracket...
AzDGT6h.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone have a gif or even better, a webm of that ridiculous marvel-style evil ryu combo?

Top Bottom