• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Thread 2: Evil doesn't prevail July 13th - Final day

sqwarlock

Is nycfurby going to have the Saturday night/Sunday morning Salty Suite up at all? I want to re-watch the EX Pugera v. Latif money matches. Need to sit and stare at my Ibuki idol some more.

Ultimadrago

Still pleasantly surprised that BlazBlue's Top 8 was so exciting. I usually wouldn't give it the time of day!

Also shoutouts to Livestreamer (awesome) and the "Mindblown" twitch emote (which made me almost wish I paid to subscribe this year).

miserable

Hello! Hahaha. Blanka please. Shoryuken? Thank you. I'm Ono please. Sorry. Blanka. HAHAHA

yoshinori-ono-o.gif

Got my EVO shirt on still repping EVO. I love how far and how much acknowledgement gamers/players/athletes have received from events like EVO and the like. Hard work pays off and things like EVO prove it. East Coast playa right hurrrr lol about as far east as one can get actually not counting the hamptons. I'll be physically at EVO one year. ONE YEAR. lol

Next time someone says you're wasting your time playing these games, honestly respond with a check if you've received one. And say "See this, IT'S THE TRUTH LOL" Work boots? See this controller? :D

Skilletor

About to go hit up a buffet. Evo tradition.

It was awesome meeting the gaffers I got to meet. Did better in sf4 than I ever have. Got to see a bunch of xrd (omg), and P4A2 (can't wait). Finals is always sick.

Back on the grind for the next year.

Nikokuno

Yep, Louffy has always been a really strong player in Europe even when Rose was not considered a great character. The amount of great players he beat on his way to win the title is staggering as well.

Yes, I'm French and he was IMHO the best FR and one of the best EU. He dedicated so much time in this game with Rose, it's a big f#ck to the 'whore tier' player. And he shines despite the fact Madcatz drop the sponsoring thing, he achieved his journey like boss since he started moving in Sweden (Dreamhack), Canada (Cup) and 'Murica (CEO and EVO).

Didn't see Finals yet but I'm already hype. Prodigal Son win the first Ultra tourney and right now Louffy takes the title of World Warrior, EU at his best.

mcw

Aw, man. Evo is over.

This weekend was so great, man. Sigh...

Hey, can any of you folks recommend a good podcast or two about fighting games? I'd like to keep up with this stuff from now on.

Aw, man. Evo is over.

This weekend was so great, man. Sigh...

Hey, can any of you folks recommend a good podcast or two about fighting games? I'd like to keep up with this stuff from now on.
While not exactly a podcast there's a bunch of weekly talk shows listed in the OP for Fighting Games Weekly

ShinMaruku

Oh Evo, on one hand I want to grind out to be worthy of getting out of pools then I see the high level play and realize it's just a delusion.

T.O.P

Banned
Dayum

Just watched SF grand finals

i'm so fuckin happy that Luffy took it, insane stuff from the guy

Some heavy dominance in gfs (except for BB, that was fuckin tense till the last second)

its an interesting storyline for Chris. He is hands down one of the most dominant players in marvel 3 but he cannot win the big one.

This is the first time he's made it to grand finals, though. And unlike last year, he didn't defeat himself. I think he'll win an Evo title if he keeps at it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK Fuck this hotel and its shitty elevators and limited late night food options. The convention ballroom is S-tier though. I'm glad it was able to meet the needs of the event well. Awesome venue, shitty hotel. Can't have it all, I guess.

Just checked into The Wynn for the rest of the Vegas stay. Muuuuuuuch better.

ShinMaruku

With that kind of attitude, yea, there's no way you'll make it out of pools.
Exactly why I have not gone. :)
Do you have expertise in anything?
Games I do decent in never get to evo (Yeah DOA makes the most blah blah)

It's not. The grind to become consistent is just a bore though.
That is my main issue, game sometimes pisses me off too much to return consistently.

My main things is the 3 step process that keels me over.
#1 execution, If you can't get this one down you will never progress. You can't think up a game plan when your main effort is on putting down your combos. This is the most laborius and the bane of most fighting games exploding at the rate people want them to. (Not that they should)
#2 Footsies and patience, worst thing these games have against me is the economy of button presses, you win with the least buttons possible (Unless you are Sako holy fuck that 20 hit combo) I don't have the patience sometimes to get that down and some match ups just straight up pisses me off and removes my patience.
#3 Lack of good practice partners. Online I get kicked after 2 matches, my locals is sub par (Don't come to me about NYC being a good scene, it's only good if you are in a clique and only good in NYC)

These are mah issues. Maybe I can get past 1 and 2 3 is irrelevant compared to the others right now.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
One of the best EVO's they've had in a while. The matches were just crazy good.

OK Fuck this hotel and its shitty elevators and limited late night food options. The convention ballroom is S-tier though. I'm glad it was able to meet the needs of the event well. Awesome venue, shitty hotel. Can't have it all, I guess.

Just checked into The Wynn for the rest of the Vegas stay. Muuuuuuuch better.

Lol never stay at LVH. I'm still at the Bellagio with a friend. Our whole stay was on a promotion from them so 6 nights for free. Not bad!

Vice

Exactly why I have not gone. :)

Games I do decent in never get to evo (Yeah DOA makes the most blah blah)

That is my main issue, game sometimes pisses me off too much to return consistently.

My main things is the 3 step process that keels me over.
#1 execution, If you can't get this one down you will never progress. You can't think up a game plan when your main effort is on putting down your combos. This is the most laborius and the bane of most fighting games exploding at the rate people want them to. (Not that they should)
#2 Footsies and patience, worst thing these games have against me is the economy of button presses, you win with the least buttons possible (Unless you are Sako holy fuck that 20 hit combo) I don't have the patience sometimes to get that down and some match ups just straight up pisses me off and removes my patience.
#3 Lack of good practice partners. Online I get kicked after 2 matches, my locals is sub par (Don't come to me about NYC being a good scene, it's only good if you are in a clique and only good in NYC)

These are mah issues. Maybe I can get past 1 and 2 3 is irrelevant compared to the others right now.
For 1, pick the simplest character in the game. Luffy just one with one of the simplest SF characters and outside of Storm, J Wong's team is rather simple as well. Players spend a lot of time on characters that aren't suited for their strengths.

For 2 it's just a mindset. It took forever for me to learn to not always try to rush down. I still do it sometimes.

Blueblur1

Man, that hotel was rough. Elevators were slow and super hot. The rooms were crappy especially the bathrooms. BUT it did suit my needs. It was fine for my friends and I to crash and play SF (we got the hotel TV to work ;-) ). Plus, its super convenient to be able to run back up to the room to drop stuff off, nap, etc.

Vice

Man, that hotel was rough. Elevators were slow and super hot. The rooms were crappy especially the bathrooms. BUT it did suit my needs. It was fine for my friends and I to crash and play SF (we got the hotel TV to work ;-) ). Plus, its super convenient to be able to run back up to the room to drop stuff off, nap, etc.

Any of the hotels on the monorail were a 10 minute ride away from LVH. Harrah's was OK

fader

the announcement was "do a shoryuken"

basically why i muted the stream I predicted exactly what was going to happen.

-Ono comes out speaks broken english hard to understand.
-Says "Something is Coming"
-Do a Shoryuken group picture.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Shoryuken group pictures but seeing people make these wild guesses to what he was going to announce i knew people were going to be pissed.

Top Bottom