• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - X360/PS3 Multiplayer Demo Out - post#2608 is WIN

NullPointer said:
Gotta remember that some people are completely new to this game, and to Battlefield multiplayer in general.

My brother is new to gaming, and has had Bad Company 1 for about a year and never even knew there was multiplayer. I talked him into giving it a try, and he's had a ton of fun, but he didn't have any idea what to do when he got to the crates, so he just played for kills.

Needless to say I gave him a full breakdown of the game, and now he's kicking ass and taking names. So if you see people that look clueless, they probably are. Help em out.
indeed, many people just say nothing, but several random people have asked me questions in-game about things (usually, how to use the machine gun on the UAV) and i answer 'em and try to make sure they understand.

Mindlog

The Faceless Master said:
indeed, many people just say nothing, but several random people have asked me questions in-game about things (usually, how to use the machine gun on the UAV) and i answer 'em and try to make sure they understand.

I've actually had almost a dozen people ask me how I activated my parachute when jumping off buildings. It's weird how people don't ask about other stuff.

Veelk

Banned
NullPointer said:
Needless to say I gave him a full breakdown of the game, and now he's kicking ass and taking names. So if you see people that look clueless, they probably are. Help em out.

I am actually one of those people entirely new to Battlefield. I prefer being a sniper, but I actually have no idea what I'm doing beyond 1. Arming/disarming the bombs and 2. Shooting anything I see moving. Since you seem to be helpful, can you give me a breakdown of it as well, or at least direct me to one? I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm playing on the PS3 and I have no mic, so I can't ask anyone what I should do ingame.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Man I can't stand people who are right next to their M-COMs but won't disarm them; it's like they are totally oblivious. It's a good thing I'm on the PS3 version otherwise I'd be shouting down my mic (haven't got one for PS3) and fucking screaming my head off at these dense cunts.

I'm also the only Bad Company 2 player who uses the spot function.

This feature is sorely under reported, not enough people know about it. I was on the road between A and B on the third base earlier defending in a Bradley, almost screaming for someone to spot the tank outside the gate so I knew where to arc my shots. Needless to say, we got over-run once the T90 made mincemeat out of my Bradley :lol

todahawk

LabouredSubterfuge said:
There seems to be some alternate fire functtions on some vehicles like the UAV (missile) and the MBT (secondary machine gun) that I don't know how to use.

Gotta unlock the vehicle alt weapon fire. I think when you get to rank 2 you can equip it in your 3rd slot. Took me a bit to figure out.

abuC

If you don't have some quality headphones get some, this game sounds unbelievable with a good set of cans. I heard someone trying to sneak up on me in the snow, you could hear each step in the snow while he was running so I turned around and put a shotgun slug in his chest.

Generic said:
I am actually one of those people entirely new to Battlefield. I prefer being a sniper, but I actually have no idea what I'm doing beyond 1. Arming/disarming the bombs and 2. Shooting anything I see moving. Since you seem to be helpful, can you give me a breakdown of it as well, or at least direct me to one? I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm playing on the PS3 and I have no mic, so I can't ask anyone what I should do ingame.
I'm not fully up to speed on Bad Company 2 multiplayer, as I've avoided the demo since I'm waiting for full release on March 2nd, and there are new modes I don't have any experience in.

But I'd definitely watch the "How not to be a Noob" video from PixelEnemy. Its really well done and covers a lot of the bases:
http://www.pixelenemy.com/2010/02/how-not-to-be-a-noob-at-battlefield-bad-company-2/

The only thing I'll add is that kills alone don't win matches. When you're attacking, make sure that whatever it is that you're doing, that it ultimately leads to your guys destroying the M-COMs, blowing up the gold crates, whatever. Hanging around as a sniper and spotting targets is very useful, but if that M-COM isn't getting taken down, switch gears and try to push the objective forward.

On Defense you need to be mindful of the M-COMs, but just straight up killing the enemy helps a great deal, since the attackers only have a limited number of respawn tickets. So let your bloodlust go wild on Defense.

One other defensive tip: remember that teammates can spawn either at their base or directly on one of their squadmates. So if you see a solitary attacker sneaking into your base, expect there to be 3 or 4 attackers by the time you get the drop on em.

Besides that, just have fun. Every time you get your ass handed to you, just add whatever technique that killed you to your own little toolbox of tactics. Then use those same tactics on the enemy. Every time you lose you'll only get better and better. Once you've got a real handle on the maps, roles, weapons, gadgets etc. the game will really open up for you.

Veelk

Banned
Much appreciated, null. This will help greatly. I didn't even know the back button was used for other stuff besides spotting, and I only found out about the spotting a day ago.:D

Anyway, thanks.

abuC

Generic said:
Much appreciated, null. This will help greatly. I didn't even know the back button was used for other stuff besides spotting, and I only found out about the spotting a day ago.:D

Anyway, thanks.

What's your PSN?

todahawk

NullPointer said:
I'm not fully up to speed on Bad Company 2 multiplayer, as I've avoided the demo since I'm waiting for full release on March 2nd, and there are new modes I don't have any experience in.

But I'd definitely watch the "How not to be a Noob" video from PixelEnemy. Its really well done and covers a lot of the bases:
http://www.pixelenemy.com/2010/02/how-not-to-be-a-noob-at-battlefield-bad-company-2/

The only thing I'll add is that kills alone don't win matches. When you're attacking, make sure that whatever it is that you're doing, that it ultimately leads to your guys destroying the M-COMs, blowing up the gold crates, whatever. Hanging around as a sniper and spotting targets is very useful, but if that M-COM isn't getting taken down, switch gears and try to push the objective forward.

On Defense you need to be mindful of the M-COMs, but just straight up killing the enemy helps a great deal, since the attackers only have a limited number of respawn tickets. So let your bloodlust go wild on Defense.

One other defensive tip: remember that teammates can spawn either at their base or directly on one of their squadmates. So if you see a solitary attacker sneaking into your base, expect there to be 3 or 4 attackers by the time you get the drop on em.

Besides that, just have fun. Every time you get your ass handed to you, just add whatever technique that killed you to your own little toolbox of tactics. Then use those same tactics on the enemy. Every time you lose you'll only get better and better. Once you've got a real handle on the maps, roles, weapons, gadgets etc. the game will really open up for you.

Good stuff!

I'd add this to the list (some of this is in the noob vid but it won't hurt to hear it again)

Spot, spot, spot (easy assist points!) Hit select [ps3] or back[360] while your crosshair is over an enemy to show the rest of your team where that enemy is.

If you're attacking, a medic can really help your team a ton as you get spawn tickets back for each revive. Plus you get lots of points. First time i played medic i revived 15+ team-mates and got top overall score.

On defense be careful of damaging the m-coms and doing the attackers job for them.

Hitting select while pointing at certain things or classes of team-mates will have you yell something useful. ie, if you're out of ammo and face an assault class team-mate and hit select your character will ask for ammo and the appropriate icon will show above you. Same for health.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
There seems to be some alternate fire functtions on some vehicles like the UAV (missile) and the MBT (secondary machine gun) that I don't know how to use.
you have to unlock and then select the alt fire vehicle perk to use the secondary weapons on vehicles.

258csu8.jpg

Magni

I was in Paris for a Halo 3 LAN, and every subway station, the same ads for the French Army, which I've seen everywhere for the past few weeks, Facebook, TV, NeoGAF, at the movies, bus stops, on buses, telling me to "become myself" (Devenez vous-même).

Then, right next to one of these ads, I see an ad for BF BC 2, telling me to "become more than myself" :lol (Devenez plus que vous-même).

arton9271-e1759.jpg

Apparently the French Army didn't like the joke http://translate.google.com/transla...o-detourne-le-slogan-de,9271.html&sl=fr&tl=en :lol

Sorry if old.

Oozinator

Banned
Is BBFC 2 multiplayer only for people who are members of clans and such or have several friends who play it ? I played the demo several times but it felt like what I'm doing doesn't contribute much to the result of the match, and it's difficult to find a squad that uses mics.

I couldn't find any connexion quality (ie: bars) indicator, is there a way to tell the amount of latency/ping to EA servers ?

Pete Rock

Oozinator said:
Is BBFC 2 multiplayer only for people who are members of clans and such or have several friends who play it ? I played the demo several times but it felt like what I'm doing doesn't contribute much to the result of the match, and it's difficult to find a squad that uses mics.
Honestly I would say yes, at the very least you need one solid person you can play with regularly to bounce around ideas and tactics during the course of the match. Three is of course best, but then I run into the problem of having more than that and needing to manage 2 squads in one game, which is a nightmare as anyone who played '43 knows.

I couldn't find any connexion quality (ie: bars) indicator, is there a way to tell the amount of latenty/ping to EA servers ?
Nope, no way to tell but to use your best intuition. Sometimes it is particularly clear you are on a shitty server, when nothing is registering and you get the "random shakes" on your screen even when nothing is going on around you.

Edit: I'd actually be curious to see someone grab the ip logs to see if they can get accurate ping time assessments for the servers they are put on in any given night of play

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Pete Rock said:
Nope, no way to tell but to use your best intuition. Sometimes it is particularly clear you are on a shitty server, when nothing is registering and you get the "random shakes" on your screen even when nothing is going on around you.

Oh, so that is why it happens I always wonder about that when I'm back chillin at a sniper spot and everything is shaking but no one is around. Hmph.. Ok.

abuC said:
I see a lot of people saying KDR doesn't matter, that might be true for defending but on offense if you're 13/28 but have a high score you're still hurting the team in my opinion by depleting tickets. I'd rather have the guy on my team with a solid KDR while attacking than the selfless medic that ends up costing the team 30 tickets because he runs out into a stream of bullets trying to revive people solely to get a high score.
28 deaths is less than 10% of your total tickets, totally acceptable for a long game. Of course it's better to have better people, but there is a tangible benefit simply having another body around that is actually trying.

cresto

Its sort of weird but i've been playing battlefield games since 1942 came out way back when. With the exception of 2042, i have played every game dice has put out with the BF tag on it. I dont know why I love them so much, but its the same fucking thing over and over again. It feels fresh in bc2 - which is nice - because I am over the twitch shooters like mw2 (dont consider bc2 a twitch game). whatever attracks me to these games works and i couldnt be more happy with their next iteration.

on a side note:
i dominate with the t-90. that shit rocks so hard with the coaxial MG attachment ^_^ i literally plop that fat ass tank on a hill in the first stage and just spam the hell out of the map with the mg constantly going and the main gun ripping apart whoever i spot. the best tactic i have found is to clear the trees out asap. if you have a better line of site it makes dominating a hell of a lot easier (plus you can see anyone trying to sneak up on you). the first two stages are great for this beast. hardly use it for the 3rd or 4th set of m-coms.

ergo said:
Its sort of weird but i've been playing battlefield games since 1942 came out way back when. With the exception of 2042, i have played every game dice has put out with the BF tag on it. I dont know why I love them so much, but its the same fucking thing over and over again. It feels fresh in bc2 - which is nice - because I am over the twitch shooters like mw2 (dont consider bc2 a twitch game). whatever attracks me to these games works and i couldnt be more happy with their next iteration.

I've also played every BF since '42, and I disagree it's the same thing over and over. They improve the formula so much with each generation of games. For this one, the rush mode really feels like a natural fit for the series, and I like it better than conquest. Conquest is great, but in the large BF2 maps, the battle would just be staggered and all over the place. Rush really helps to naturally focus the action.

As a BF vet, Rush > Conquest!

They've finally simplified the class system down to 4 very basic classes, but have provided enough customization to adapt each class to your style. There's even less classes than in Battlefield 1942! 2142 was a mess class-wise, it looks like they've finally found the sweet spot.

It's really nice to see the manual spotting system back from BF2 streamlined to one contextual button (in BF2 it was a circular menu that popped up where you could verbally spot things that weren't even on the map; spamming 'enemy submarine spotted' ).

Don't forget, in addition to spotting enemies in BFBC2, if you press the back button while looking at a friendly vehicle you'll request a ride, friendly assault you'll request ammo, and support you'll request health. You can also 'spot' the m-coms to tell your squad what to attack.

edit: oh yeah, and the destructible environments and alterable terrain.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
MrCompletely said:
Don't forget, in addition to spotting enemies in BFBC2, if you press the back button while looking at a friendly vehicle you'll request a ride, friendly assault you'll request ammo, and support you'll request health. You can also 'spot' the m-coms to tell your squad what to attack.

edit: oh yeah, and the destructible environments and alterable terrain.

Cannot be quoted or said enough. In fact the title to the OT should probably be.

BFBC2 - An official Neogaf thread of use the Select/Back button damnit

Noob tip #370: Expect your very first foray into driving a vehicle or helicopter to end with you dead after 5 to 10 seconds.

Its like a universal principle. Consider it a successful first try if you don't also take some of your teammates out with you.

But hey, if nobody else is going to take that tank, why the hell shouldn't it be you? We all have to figure out how to drive these things at some point. Vehicles are key, dont' let them just sit there or else the enemy might just take them from you.

Oh, and one last thing about vehicles: they aren't a taxi service. Don't just take them to rush up to the objective and then pop out. This may work on rare occasions, but think about what the likely end scenario is of parking a tank in the enemy's base?

Yeah, it doesn't end well.

todahawk

NullPointer said:
Noob tip #370: Expect your very first foray into driving a vehicle or helicopter to end with you dead after 5 to 10 seconds.

Its like a universal principle. Consider it a successful first try if you don't also take some of your teammates out with you.

But hey, if nobody else is going to take that tank, why the hell shouldn't it be you? We all have to figure out how to drive these things at some point. Vehicles are key, dont' let them just sit there or else the enemy might just take them from you.

Oh, and one last thing about vehicles: they aren't a taxi service. Don't just take them to rush up to the objective and then pop out. This may work on rare occasions, but think about what the likely end scenario is of parking a tank in the enemy's base?

Yeah, it doesn't end well.

Oh god thanks for bringing that up., had this happen within the first 15 seconds of a match the other night. Some guy on our team takes the tank and immediately rushs an m-com, jumps out and promptly dies.

Our (un-coordinated) team spent the rest of the match cornered and getting hammered by that tank. They had two engineers behind it with assaults and a medic covering. I think they had a recon or the gunner spotting too, we couldn't flank it, pop it with RPG's or anything, the second anyone drew a bead on that tank we died. Horrible, horrible horrible.

Dabanton

I really hope DICE has a how to guide before they let anyone play a online match.

I'm seriously shocked that so many people don't know things like spotting and alternate commands.

Top Bottom