• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

TacticalFox88 said:
Yeah, I think GG when they get there hands on the PS4 devkits are going to go absolutely insane. Jesus Christ, this is 5 year old hardware!
Killzone 4 on PS4. fuuuuuuuck yeah. Take your time Guerilla.

A.R.K

Great OP...wish I was as much enthusiastic about the MP as I was for KZ2. But maybe things will get better down the road with patches. SP looks even better than KZ2 SP.

Anyways, can't wait to get my copy on release day!

Rikyfree

A.R.K said:
Great OP...wish I was as much enthusiastic about the MP as I was for KZ2. But maybe things will get better down the road with patches. SP looks even better than KZ2 SP.

Anyways, can't wait to get my copy on release day!
As long as I train myself not to look at my points and only play with buddies here and in RL, I'll be fine with the MP.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Rikyfree said:
As long as I train myself not to look at my points and only play with buddies here and in RL, I'll be fine with the MP.

What do you mean? what's wrong with the points?

commish said:
What do you mean? what's wrong with the points?

Perhaps they just undermine the reason some people play games? The current point system tends to endorse lone-wolf camping type gameplay rather than front line objective oriented gameplay. It was nice in KZ2 that everything gave you 1 point.

I wonder why they removed the areas around objectives that would give you bonus points in KZ2 (C&H zones and S&D zones). That would at least have encouraged point seekers to be more engaged in the objective areas.

I hope GG releases a patch that allows you to disable elements of the HUD without having to turn the whole HUD off. I don't really care for the point pop ups or the reload notices, but would like to keep other HUD elements like the ammo count and minimap (though resizing these would also be welcome).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just finished reading the OP. Nice work.

After playing and enjoying the beta, I'll try and get this game day one.

TheFatOne

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy this game yet. I'm just going to wait a month, and then ask the GAF clan regulars if it's worth it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TheFatOne said:
I haven't decided if I'm going to buy this game yet. I'm just going to wait a month, and then ask the GAF clan regulars if it's worth it.

Judging by recent games, the game will be 20 bucks cheaper after a month, I bet.

Are we ever going to get an HD remake of the original Killzone, a la GoW, Sly Cooper or Ico?

I know it wasn't a great game, but I think most of its problems could be attributed to trying to push the hardware too hard. A cleaned up version, up-rezed would be great.

I'd love to play all three games back-to-back.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TheFatOne said:

it will probably be super easy to do suicide grenade runs.

Massa

The Antitype said:
Are we ever going to get an HD remake of the original Killzone, a la GoW, Sly Cooper or Ico?

I know it wasn't a great game, but I think most of its problems could be attributed to trying to push the hardware too hard. A cleaned up version, up-rezed would be great.

I'm honestly hoping that's what the NGP version is.

The Antitype said:

I wouldn't want it, the framerate was a problem, but it wasn't the only one. There was almost no AI and the controls sucked pretty hard. It was a very flawed game. I wouldn't mind some kind of remake with their new PS3 tech, but a HD version of the original wouldn't be very interesting.

Massa

the_prime_mover said:
Perhaps they just undermine the reason some people play games? The current point system tends to endorse lone-wolf camping type gameplay rather than front line objective oriented gameplay. It was nice in KZ2 that everything gave you 1 point.

I wonder why they removed the areas around objectives that would give you bonus points in KZ2 (C&H zones and S&D zones). That would at least have encouraged point seekers to be more engaged in the objective areas.

I hope GG releases a patch that allows you to disable elements of the HUD without having to turn the whole HUD off. I don't really care for the point pop ups or the reload notices, but would like to keep other HUD elements like the ammo count and minimap (though resizing these would also be welcome).

That's not really true. For people who care about the points they reward you more for doing the objectives than the KZ2 points system did.

Also, you can disable the HUD which disables everything. That's not really useful (you lose the mini map), but they've said they'll look into letting people disable only certain elements of the HUD.

nib95

Banned
Spoilers! Expected in the official thread I suppose.

--------- SCROLL QUICK if you want to avoid ---------

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0009.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0008.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0007.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0006.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0005.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0004.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0003.jpg

image_killzone_3-14723-2035_0001.jpg

Unreal how the PS3 keeps busting out console graphical leaders one after the other.

Cagen

Looks incredible. Single player looks to be one hell of a ride.

Hopefully a few patches down the line the MP will have regained some of the missing features. Looking forward to squadding up and raising our clan ranking, no matter how limited it is right now.

Massa said:
That's not really true. For people who care about the points they reward you more for doing the objectives than the KZ2 points system did.

Well, relatively speaking the point break down in KZ3 rewards you about 100x more than KZ2 but still provides similar scoring options. There are more "on paper" opportunities to score in KZ3 objectives as you actually get points for capturing C&H zones, neutralizing zones and disarming/arming bombs. But you don't get additional "objective points" for defending any of those areas. This means that if you aren't likely to be the person who would capture a zone or arm/disarm then you are just as well off sitting at the back of the map and picking people off at range. Meanwhile you get additional points for explosive kills, multi-kills and kill streaks (you actually get relatively fewer points for head shots and bot kills though). These bonus points typically result in a less objective oriented game play style.

Points also mean a lot more in KZ3 then they ever did in KZ2 (outside of the % ranking ribbons) as they are not only required to level up, but they are required to acquire unlock points (with a lot more to unlock than in KZ2), so (I think) there is more emphasis on farming points in KZ3. KZ3 does reward you a 2x XP ribbon for completing certain objectives (that lasts for a little bit of time, and is not rewarded to active support players) which may help.

KAL2006

Banned
Zeal said:
OP has smashed the envelope of thread creation.

Yep, that is the best OP I have seen, he needs to make more OP's, I hope he does an OP for Uncharted 3, Twisted Metal and Crysis 2, hell I want him to do an OP for every game. What games do you like OP :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheFatOne said:

So that gives me 4 weeks to play the game before I have to take it back.

TheFatOne said:
WTF this makes no damn sense.

Indeed. If people can't play a game without spamming grenades or firing wildy around (even placing turrets in stupid places) then they suck. I'm always very careful when I play KZ.

Some people love team killing, which is fine, but if there are appropriate punishments in place (negative score, removal of all ribbons and killstreaks) then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Great OP! I am so psyched for this, both the SP demo and the MP beta have been so much fun. And the game just looks so ridiculously good with a really steady framerate.

I think both this and Crysis 2 are going to phenomenal for graphic whores like me, as well as be really fun to play. My personal taste leans towards Killzone's art direction though, it's so damn good, dark (even when it's bright it's dark) and unique.

BRING IT ON! :)

i wish friendly fire was in as it makes you be more tactical and requires more skill, hopefully they will change it. but other than that I cant wait!

plasmasd

What I don't like about these Killzone games is the extremely narrow FOV. It's almost like playing through binoculars. I assume this helps keeping a solid framerate during intense action, but it makes me feel like I'm always in a corridor. Next time I hope guerrilla can give us a fake anamorphic option with black bars so that we can have the option of a wider FOV.

Dug

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
Interesting. For some reason I assumed you meant that the dream of KZ2 was dead, long live KZ3... I guess we know my thoughts on the matter.
That's what I thought too. Makes sense either way though...

Top Bottom