• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Sign me up as one who has never read The Hobbit, but is quite tempted to do so now after seeing this trailer. Looks wonderful, excited to visit Middle Earth again.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm wondering if I should read Children Of Hurin and whether or not Jackson will make that one into a movie also.

Babalu.

Having never read the hobbit or plan on reading it, can anyone tell me spoiler free what this is about?

is the whole book about bilbo's adventures leading up to finding the ring?

What are gandalf and all the dwarves in bagend for and why are they asking bilbo to go on an adventure?

I mean what is sort of the plot of the movie? Is the battle where humans and elves band together on the slopes of mt doom to kill sauron and where aragorns ancestor doesn't destroy the ring when he has a chance to in this story?

Im just wondering kind of what to expect. and how many movies is this suppose to be? 2 or 3.

Thanks, im trying not to spoil anything so i didnt read the thread.

Helmholtz

Awesome trailer. I've never read the books, but I love the LOTR films.
I almost feel like they showed too much; that gollum part at the end wasn't really necessary. Still great though.

Branduil

Having never read the hobbit or plan on reading it, can anyone tell me spoiler free what this is about?

No.

What are gandalf and all the dwarves in bagend for and why are they asking bilbo to go on an adventure?

I mean what is sort of the plot of the movie? Is the battle where humans and elves band together on the slopes of mt doom to kill sauron and where aragorns ancestor doesn't destroy the ring when he has a chance to in this story?

That battle has no real relevance to the Hobbit. The basic premise is that a dragon named Smaug stole the mountain home(and all the treasure) of some Dwarves, and several generations later they're trying to get it back. Gandalf has his own reasons for being involved that you find out eventually.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Im just wondering kind of what to expect. and how many movies is this suppose to be? 2 or 3.

I don't think I can answer any of your questions about the book without spoiling stuff. This takes place 60 (?) years before the Fellowship of the Ring while the battle you're asking about takes place thousands of years before.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*

It's more of a lighthearted children's adventure compared to the epic trilogy tale. Atleast it was in the books, the movies may up the ante on that substantially.

Evlar

Banned

Well, since we're not trying to spoil anything, I'll use spoiler tags.

The book is about a quest to reclaim a lost kingdom. The kingdom belonged to the Dwarves, but is now occupied by an ancient powerful creature... the Dragon, Smaug. The Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield, secure the aid of the wizard Gandalf to reclaim their kingdom. Unfortunately there are 13 Dwarves in the expedition, and Gandalf might pop in and out, and 13 is an unlucky number... So they must find another. Gandalf insists he knows the right adventurer for the job. He calls him a thief, and convinces the Dwarves that this thief would steal their treasure back from Smaug.

That "thief" is Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit who has never been known to do anything remarkable in his life... certainly never something like stealing from dragons. He's never left home, never taken any expeditions, dislikes sleeping anywhere but the comfort of his bed. He's the very last creature on earth you would send on a dangerous adventure... but Gandalf picks him, and the Dwarves are smart enough not to reject Gandalf's advice.

From there... it's the story of that adventure to the kingdom, to the Lonely Mountain. There, and back again.

That should be enough to get you started.

Babalu.

No.

That battle has no real relevance to the Hobbit. The basic premise is that a dragon named Smaug stole the mountain home(and all the treasure) of some Dwarves, and several generations later they're trying to get it back. Gandalf has his own reasons for being involved that you find out eventually.

This is what I was looking for. Didnt read that big spoilered text above but thanks for all the other answers. This however answered everything I needed to know. Thanks!

Ryan_

Watched the trailer 7 times and still cant get enough.

The dwarf song really gave me goosebumps

There is one thing that I don't understand though, maybe someone might clear this up.

Spoilers ahead:

In the trailer you see Gandalf battling with another humanlike creature.
Now, I racked my mind and as someone who read the hobbit more than ten times,
I can't for the life of me remember where Gandalf is battling another human,
let alone one that can kick his ass, as you can see in the trailer.

Does this mean they are going to show footage of what Gandalf is doing after he leaves the expedition?
In other words, battling the necromancer?

Evlar

Banned
Watched the trailer 7 times and still cant get enough.

The dwarf song really gave me goosebumps

There is one thing that I don't understand though, maybe someone might clear this up.

Spoilers ahead:

In the trailer you see Gandalf battling with another humanlike creature. Now, I racked my mind and as someone who read the hobbit more then ten times, I can't for the life of me remember where Gandalf is battling another human, let alone one that can kick his ass, as you can see in the trailer.

Does this mean they are going to show footage of what Gandalf is doing after he leaves the expedition? In other words, battling the necormancer?

In a word, yes. The entire White Council is involved, including Galadriel, Elrond, and
Saruman

Haha it's 1999 all over again and prequel mania is out n full force. Having read the hobbit I must say after seeing the trailer they have certainly taken some creative liberties.

Sirius

Just watched the trailer, My god ..

... I was expecting something mind-boggling, but this... this has blown it entirely.

The Music,

The Cast,

The Locations,

Smeagol,

..everything is leagues beyond what I could have fathomed. I can see myself watching this at least 5 times while in cinemas, some of the finest cinematography and production I'll probably ever experience.

brb, going to play this through my HDTV with 5.1 DTS...

Gambit

Oh god, wait til you see DAT trailer. I went from interested to HOLY SHIT GET INSIDE ME in less than a minute.

The same thing just happened to me. I was mildly interested and now I cannot wait. Unbelievable!

It even looks as if it would be like The Fellowship again, i.e. my favourite part of the trilogy.

so, so hyped!

Feature

Banned
I just hope there are mega battles in this one, I loved the other 3 lord of the rings. they're my favourite movies of all time!

dmshaposv

Watching gandalf the grey made me feel like 12 all over again...

Good trailer, but didn't blow me away. I feel Jackson gonna epic this up, while he doesn't need to. I hope to be wrong.

You can't make an epic of a children's book, just like you can't make an epic from a frickin monster movie.

e9WwU.jpg

Natiko

Banned
That looked great, really looking forward to this. Kinda sucks that it's so far away though. Hopefully part 2 will come out the following year.

Sibylus

Banned
Watching gandalf the grey made me feel like 12 all over again...

Good trailer, but didn't blow me away. I feel Jackson gonna epic this up, while he doesn't need to. I hope to be wrong.

You can't make an epic of a children's book, just like you can't make an epic from a frickin monster movie.
Quoting myself from the other Hobbit thread:

A lighthearted and fun children's book featuring prominent death, war, racism, foul and scary creatures, and bitter ends for some. If your issue is with action and melodrama, take it up with the source material.

There are plenty of "epic" aspects to draw upon from the book, especially with regard to the latter half (
The alluded-to infiltration of the Necromancer's lair in Dol Guldur by Gandalf, the Dwarves' intense need to repossess the mountain and reclaim their lost wealth, heritage, and home, the confrontation at the Lonely Mountain's gate, the massive clash in the plain, the desolation of Laketown and the death of Smaug
). The first half has some notable confrontations as well (
The encounter with the trolls, being nearly burned alive whilst sheltering from wargs and goblins in trees, slaughtering goblins in their Misty Mountains tunnels and outposts, Bilbo meeting Gollum
). The Hobbit is certainly read and enjoyed by children, but summing it up as a saccharine-sweet bedtime story is patently false.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Quoting myself from the other Hobbit thread:

There are plenty of "epic" aspects to draw upon from the book, especially with regard to the latter half (
The alluded-to infiltration of the Necromancer's lair in Dol Guldur by Gandalf, the Dwarves' intense need to repossess the mountain and reclaim their lost wealth, heritage, and home, the confrontation at the Lonely Mountain's gate, the massive clash in the plain, the desolation of Laketown and the death of Smaug
). The first half has some notable confrontations as well (
The encounter with the trolls, being nearly burned alive whilst sheltering from wargs and goblins in trees, slaughtering goblins in their Misty Mountains tunnels and outposts, Bilbo meeting Gollum
). The Hobbit is certainly read and enjoyed by children, but summing it up as a saccharine-sweet bedtime story is patently false.
There's also the
savagery of Beorn in dealing with the Golbin he encounters
. Also, more key characters face their demise than in the LOTR's, where Boromir is the only key character to face his death.

Sibylus

Banned
Ah, another good example (I need to read the book again, it's been too long). People expecting a carefree adventure movie the whole way through will certainly be in for a surprise. Ditto for first time readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom