• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor Ragnaok adds Jeff Goldblum and Karl Urban, confirms character roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I hope Darcy got killed off screen by a random Ultron bot just so certain people in this thread cry delicious tears.

She was backpacking in Sakovia when Ultron attacked and was horribly horribly murdered off screen never to be seen, heard from or referenced ever again.

Hagi

Does Hela have anything to do with Surtur? Are we even getting Surtur? I hope we are getting Surtur...

Urban as Skurge is pretty awesome.

Son Of D

Yes:

Thor’s new cast members join returning stars Chris Hemsworth (“Rush,” “In the Heart of the Sea,” “Ghostbusters”) in the title role for the fifth time; Tom Hiddleston (“Crimson Peak,” “The Night Manager,” “Kong: Skull Island”) as Thor’s adversarial, adopted brother, Loki; Golden Globe® and Screen Actors Guild Award winner Idris Elba (“The Dark Tower,” “Luther,” “Beasts of No Nation”) as the Asgardian sentry, Heimdall; and Academy Award®-winner Sir Anthony Hopkins (“Silence of the Lambs,” “Nixon,” “Hitchcock”) again portraying Odin, Ruler of Asgard.

I really should pay more attention.

Going to be interesting to see Jeff Goldblum's take on the Grandmaster, but I'm happy to see Brunnhilde being confirmed to appear in the film!

RangerX

Banned
Sometimes I think I'm on crazy pills because I thought the first Thor was much better Than Iron man 1 and I actually enjoyed Thor 2 so I'm really looking forward to this. That is an absolutely stellar cast.

She was backpacking in Sakovia when Ultron attacked and was horribly horribly murdered off screen never to be seen, heard from or referenced ever again.

No, she was visiting her cousin and his family in Sokovia right before the attack, and Thor never heard about it. Their whole house just crumbled in and killed almost everyone.

That cousin?
Helmut Zemo

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sometimes I think I'm on crazy pills because I thought the first Thor was much better Than Iron man 1
You're insane, out of your mind, bonkers, coco puff, I'm scared you might kill me and wear my skin.

and I actually enjoyed Thor 2 so I'm really looking forward to this. That is an absolutely stellar cast.

Wait, you're good people.

EYEL1NER

Blanchett, Goldbum, AND Urban?! That is killer. I would have been happy with Karl Urban along being added to the cast.
Wait how does Hopkins even have a role in this movie? I was under the impression that Loki was impersonating him as of Thor 2 and he was...dead? I don't remember anything about that movie.
There wasn't anything indicating what happened to him other than Loki has taken his place. If I remember correctly, we see A scene where a captain of the Einherjar (whom we know to be Loki in disguise) reports to Odin that they found a body where Loki and Thor fought Malekith and Kurse. He says it was Loki's body. We see a sad expression cross Odin's face and a slight smirk cross the Einherjar/Loki's face. The scene ends and the next time we see Odin talking to Thor, Loki has already taken his place.
So Odin could be dead, but there is nothing that points to that and I never thought Odin was dead.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Beginning to be interested in this film. Think they'll assume few people watched Thor 2: The Dark World? Because I personally haven't watched Thor 2: The Dark World, and from what I've heard I'd prefer not to watch Thor 2: The Dark World.

It's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be, worth watching for Loki's scenes alone.

So Odin could be dead, but there is nothing that points to that and I never thought Odin was dead.

It was my assumption that he had him imprisoned, would be a shame if Hopkins wasn't in it because I was quite looking forward to some scenes where Thor was starting to doubt the illusion and so forth.

Mortemis

Banned
Brehs. Holy fucking shit.

I'm one of those weirdos who knows the first two Thor movies sucked but still kinda enjoyed them. Marvel going all out and knocking this outta the park would be so damn good.

Skurge and Valkryie will great castings is shooting my hype over the moon.

jmood88

What if all the Earth scenes are just a totally disconnected stand alone storyline about Darcy going about her day, and the hijinx she runs into, contrasted against the EPIC END OF THE WORLD happening in Asgard? One moment Thor could be watching all his friends die, and then it cuts to Darcy looking at cat pics on Instagram on her phone in a Starbucks during lunch.
Then it ends with her being crushed by something and everyone cheers.

EYEL1NER

It was my assumption that he had him imprisoned, would be a shame if Hopkins wasn't in it because I was quite looking forward to some scenes where Thor was starting to doubt the illusion and so forth.
It's been mentioned already that Odin is kind of a big character to die off-screen but also you have to figure that the All-Father is a very powerful character. Even in disguise, how could Loki easily kill him, and what would happen to all of that power when he died (assuming the Odin-Force exists)?
I don't understand how some people leapt to "Loki killed Odin."

toad-freaking-out-shaking-going-crazy-nintendo-13922502790.gif

I'm so pumped. Phase 3 is going to be the stuff of legends.

Doodis

Of course Odin was gonna come back. Loki wasn't gonna kill Odin. Even in Thor 1 with how Loki plotted with the Frost Giants, he wasn't gonna let any of them hurt his (adoptive) dad. Having Loki just kill Odin off-screen would have done a huge injustice to his character.

Um, nobody has said whether or not the real Odin is in this movie. It might just be Hopkins playing Loki in the guise of Odin.

I hope Goldblum, who of course is going to be a name on the poster, has more of a role than Jeremy Renner, a guy with his name also on a poster, did in Civil War.

icespide

Banned
I hope Goldblum, who of course is going to be a name on the poster, has more of a role than Jeremy Renner, a guy with his name also on a poster, did in Civil War.

you know names on posters don't correlate to size of a role right? it's all about contracts and politics and money

Harmen

Mostly away from earth, no Portman (no earth-tied romantic subplot), an amazing cast, and a cool title/subject.Oh, and Hulk! I hope this will be to Thor what Winter Soldier was to Cap. On paper this seems to be shaping up quite nicely.

PLEASE PLEASE don't kill Urban's character off, and let him come back in the future! Urban is amazing and while I'd rather have him in a hero's role, the more we see of him, the better!

tomtom94

Like, I have this nagging feeling that they're just throwing too much stuff into this movie and it can't possibly work, but even if it's a mess it's going to be entertaining watching it play out on screen.

I enjoyed Thor 2 fight me

Bronx-Man

Banned
Like, I have this nagging feeling that they're just throwing too much stuff into this movie and it can't possibly work, but even if it's a mess it's going to be entertaining watching it play out on screen.

I enjoyed Thor 2 fight me

Isn't that what everyone said about Civil War?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom