• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X26

Banned
speedpop said:
You must've missed pages 21-40.

Yea I did come pretty late to the party :/

Anyways my concern is that there was so much I liked about DQ8 that I feel cannot be done on the DS, and the videos (sofar) confirm it. DQ8 had this huge, beautiful, world to explore and encompassed the feeling of being on an epic adventure better than any other RPG I've ever played. DQ9 sofar seems like a huge step backward

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If it resembles anything close to Secret of Mana multiplayer, then I will be all over this like seagulls on fish.

castle007

Banned
HOLD ON!!!!

Remember when SE's president praised Nintendo's online plan last year???
He was basically saying that it is exactly what SE wanted. I bet the production on this game was already well underway.

Lol, what if companies are just trying to extinguish what we define as a "hardcore gamer" today? In 3 years, what you call a hardcore gamer might be something VERY different. It's very possible that games like this are just going to replace those couch potato, 70 hour games that we play. And it's not because of the companies, it will be because of the NEW consumers buying machines. They might REPLACE us.....

Saoh

king zell said:
dq25.jpg

WOW

are we sure those are DQWii screens? ´cuz i thought it was only 1st person view.

dq27.jpg

:O

Geoff9920 said:
The DS part or the fact that it's an ARPG now?

The DS part is fine with me (although I'll admit that I would like to see SE throw more support towards the PSP), as I don't think this'll stop a next-gen DQVIII style follow up from happening.

The ARPG worries me, because I have found that with ARPGs, while on paper they sound like a great idea, in practise they are usually a lot less interesting to play than I'd hoped. Although it was only a couple of seconds of footage, the combat mechanics of DQIX weren't exactly looking awe-inspiring. Online play will obviously help to inject some interest into it, but imo, ARPGs are seriously under-developed as a genre.

I Am Error said:
Nintendo needs it for the DS because in a way it gets their foot in the door for getting a main Dragon Quest game on their console.

I think that it is not exactly like you say: Nintendo doesn't need Dragon Quest and even less for a Nintendo DS that is selling like hotcakes, but they need that Sony hasn't it. Now all Dragon Quest's fans doesn't need a PS3's anymore. Likely, they'll buy a Nintendo DS, but remember that Dragon Quest Swords now is the only Dragon Quest for Home Systems: his probabilities to sell well are much more with the announce of today.

SleazyC

Interesting news here...

DQ:S looks amazing and actually looks like it might be a game that leads me to purchase a Wii. I was holding off until I saw some more games that interested me and this one certainly does.

That Dragon Quest: Swords game for Wii: is it a full blown rpg(story driven A-rpg of 40 hours or so) or some connectivity crap like FFCC was on Gamecube??

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Die Squirrel Die said:
Online play will obviously help to inject some interest into it, but imo, ARPGs are seriously under-developed as a genre.
I disagree. Some of my favourite games can be termed as action-RPGs - most of these are from the SNES era however, but that doesn't stop my optimistic approach towards this new turn for Dragon Quest.

gamergirly said:
That Dragon Quest: Swords game for Wii: is it a full blown rpg(story driven A-rpg of 40 hours or so) or some connectivity crap like FFCC was on Gamecube??
From what we've heard, Yuji Horii is fronting this game fully so I'd expect at least a sizeable adventure.

threeball

Banned
lol i just woke up what did i miss

Anyway, what is wrong with some of you guys? What does next gen mean to you? Graphics? People bitching because they won't get a next-gen experience with this game, and how Nintendo is going to ruin gaming by turning games into non-next gen experiences. So because the graphics are last-gen(or last-last gen in DS case) the game won't be as fun?

If anything, the DS will allow the developers to not worry about graphics at all and instead put 100% of the focus on the content, story, quest and gameplay. Perhaps that is why they kept in away from the consoles, so they could make graphics and visuals the last priority and make sure it stays that way.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gamergirly said:

On rails "slasher." You move the wiimote to make an attack on the screen. No clue on story or anything else. It's not a full blown RPG however.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
threeball said:
lol i just woke up what did i miss

Anyway, what is wrong with some of you guys? What does next gen mean to you? Graphics? People bitching because they won't get a next-gen experience with this game, and how Nintendo is going to ruin gaming by turning games into non-next gen experiences. So because the graphics are last-gen(or last-last gen in DS case) the game won't be as fun?

If anything, the DS will allow the developers to not worry about graphics at all and instead put 100% of the focus on the content, story, quest and gameplay. Perhaps that is why they kept in away from the consoles, so they could make graphics and visuals the last priority and make sure it stays that way.
You know what, when dealing with an RPG, visuals and audio DO make a huge difference. Maybe not for everyone, but RPGs are intended to be an experience and it is the whole package that results in something truly memorable. Exploring a beautifully rendered world is far more interesting than walking around a flat mode 7 map or something (not implying that DQ is using such a thing).

However, my concern isn't so much Dragon Quest as much as what this means for the future of other franchises.

Pellham

Banned
dark10x said:
You know what, when dealing with an RPG, visuals and audio DO make a huge difference. Maybe not for everyone, but RPGs are intended to be an experience and it is the whole package that results in something truly memorable. Exploring a beautifully rendered world is far more interesting than walking around a flat mode 7 map or something (not implying that DQ is using such a thing).

However, my concern isn't so much Dragon Quest as much as what this means for the future of other franchises.

blame Sony for ****ing up the PS3, not Square Enix for making a sound business decision.

Anyway there's always the X360 so what are you worried about?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Saoh said:
are we sure those are DQWii screens? ´cuz i thought it was only 1st person view.[/IMG]

:O

bro, look at the bottom right corner of that screen - it has the Wii controllers "-" button on it.

also, :lol at this thread, hahaha.

Are there more DQWii pics?

Draft

TheKingsCrown said:
The RPG genre needs EXACTLY this...a game where you and your friends enter an alternate reality to fight against evil. It looks like S-E has decided it will be the first to take it down this road in a non-WoW like manner.
Except for, like, Diablo and Guild Wars and a whole bunch of other PC games I won't bother mentioning.

But you still have a point. Those games are hell of fun. I've never played DQ but online action RPGs are the shit so the potential is there.

speedpop said:
I disagree. Some of my favourite games can be termed as action-RPGs - most of these are from the SNES era however, but that doesn't stop my optimistic approach towards this new turn for Dragon Quest.

From what we've heard, Yuji Horii is fronting this game fully so I'd expect at least a sizeable adventure.

Don't let me dampen your enthusiasm. It's just how many times now has an ARPG been announced, Secret of Mana gets mentioned a lot, then the game is released and everyone is let down.

Whatever it is that made those ARPGs great in the early 90s, either the secret is lost, or it's nostalgia working its magic.

Which leads me back to what I said before. ARPGs worry me because they are almost never as good as they should be.

Kintaro

gamergirly said:
Didnt notice this before either. What's the big problem with Action rpgs? Not everyone plays Turn Based you know

Nothing.

However, Dragon Quest is NOT an Action RPG series. That's the "problem" here. Seeing the game in motion...blaergh.

gamergirly said:
Didnt notice this before either. What's the big problem with Action rpgs? Not everyone plays Turn Based you know

Well hopefully action rpg won't equal just hacking and slashing. I want to see how magic/spells/etc are done

dark10x

Pellham said:
blame Sony for ****ing up the PS3, not Square Enix for making a sound business decision.

Anyway there's always the X360 so what are you worried about?
No, there's not. XBOX360 is DEAD in Japan and likely won't receive even a fraction of the support that Wii/DS will get.

Pellham

Banned
dark10x said:
No, there's not. XBOX360 is DEAD in Japan and likely won't receive even a fraction of the support that Wii/DS will get.

There are quite a few jRPGs coming out for the X360 that are likely being made with the US market in mind.

I don't want to nitpick here, or sound too lame, but is there any way that we can start thread posts without words like "shit" and "bitches" in the title. While NeoGAF'in at work, I now have a nice window in my taskbar that says "OH SHIT...". I know this is a gaming messageboard, but come on, can't we be a bit more mature here.

PhoenixDark said:
Well hopefully action rpg won't equal just hacking and slashing. I want to see how magic/spells/etc are done

That's the problem. A-rpgs are great if done right (Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3), but generally are shallow and I'm afraid the DQIX vids do little to instill confience in me that this will be deep. But I'm clinging on to the hope that it'll maintain the great balance and strategy elements the series is known for.

Kintaro

Reilly said:
Isn't it already confirmed that DQ:Swords sucks?

Was confirmed to not be what everyone was thinking/hoping it would be. Dunno about sucks, but it was disappointing when some people got to play it and shared impressions.

Pellham

Banned
Zack-Morris said:
I don't want to nitpick here, or sound too lame, but is there any way that we can start thread posts without words like "shit" and "bitches" in the title. While NeoGAF'in at work, I now have a nice window in my taskbar that says "OH SHIT...". I know this is a gaming messageboard, but come on, can't we be a bit more mature here.

too bad so sad :lol

And it is developed by Genius Sonority.

For real? Guess Horii and Manabu Yamana were able to make up?
That's pretty badass because as good as L5 is, they aren't able to match Yamana when it comes to knowing DQ. :)

threeball

Banned
dark10x said:

my favorite RPGs: Earthbound, Pokemon, Super Mario RPG

Story, content, gameplay and music has more to do with RPGs than anything else

dark10x

Pellham said:
There are quite a few jRPGs coming out for the X360 that are likely being made with the US market in mind.
Of course, they aren't region free (which is why I would like to see more on PS3), but you're right.

However, I can't imagine developers looking too favorably towards the 360 right now. Blue Dragon was a big title and basically failed at retail. It was MS funded, sure, but what of developers who lack such funds? Do you think they would be interested in going after the 360 (especially considering that their game isn't going to be a sure fire success in the US either)?

my favorite RPGs: Earthbound, Pokemon, Super Mario RPG

Story, content, gameplay and music has more to do with RPGs than anything else
We have different tastes, I suppose.

Those aspects are all very important to me, but I don't believe those games you listed really deliver on them...which is confusing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom