• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dq9printsci7.jpg

John Harker said:
bro, look at the bottom right corner of that screen - it has the Wii controllers "-" button on it.

also, :lol at this thread, hahaha.

Are there more DQWii pics?
Coulda you highlight it for me? I can't see it.

I'm actually looking forward to the Wii game now. Early videos made it look crappy but the addition of teammates and spells will add a lot to alleviate the monotony.

dark10x said:
No, there's not. XBOX360 is DEAD in Japan and likely won't receive even a fraction of the support that Wii/DS will get.
360 is still getting...

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Eternal Sonata

Razoric

Banned
dark10x said:
You know what, when dealing with an RPG, visuals and audio DO make a huge difference. Maybe not for everyone, but RPGs are intended to be an experience and it is the whole package that results in something truly memorable. Exploring a beautifully rendered world is far more interesting than walking around a flat mode 7 map or something (not implying that DQ is using such a thing).

However, my concern isn't so much Dragon Quest as much as what this means for the future of other franchises.

To this day, Chrono Trigger, IMO, destroys every single RPG released in the past 5 years. I could easily go back and play that over and over again. It has a charming story, great music and it's very fun to play. Same cannot be said for all the other polygon / cgi 'masterpieces' out there.

Gameplay is king... not 60 fps.

Culex

Banned
Kintaro said:
Nothing.

However, Dragon Quest is NOT an Action RPG series. That's the "problem" here. Seeing the game in motion...blaergh.

....and Resident Evil was NOT a 3rd person-viewed series, and it was NOT an action oriented series, either, but RE4 seemed to work out JUST FINE.

Give it a chance man!

Pellham

Banned
threeball said:
my favorite RPGs: Earthbound, Pokemon, Super Mario RPG

Story, content, gameplay and music has more to do with RPGs than anything else

this is obviously true but dark10x wants a "next gen" experience.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
at the moment, DQS looks "meh" gameplay wise.

someone needs to make a RE4-style 3rd person (i.e. the camera position) game based on swords/knives/daggers/axes etc with wiimote slashing/stabbing/twisting/butchery

klee123

Mr. Pointy said:
360 is still getting...

Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Eternal Sonata

The problem is that 4 of those games are MS branded and funded. With DQ, Square enix is making them due to the Wii and the DS's popularity.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Razoric said:
To this day, Chrono Trigger, IMO, destroys every single RPG released in the past 5 years. I could easily go back and play that over and over again. It has a charming story, great music and it's very fun to play. Same cannot be said for all the other polygon / cgi 'masterpieces' out there.

60 fps doesn't matter for RPGs.

I'm also rather baffled by your statement, though, as Chrono Trigger's gameplay is incredibly average by today's standards. If gameplay is king, why are you pointing towards Chrono Trigger?

Gameplay IS critical, but I'm sick of people acting as if that is THE ONLY thing that matters. A game without gameplay isn't worth anything, but a game that nails all aspects INCLUDING gameplay is superior to one that brings only gameplay (provided the gameplay in both is of equal quality).

threeball

Banned
In case you didn't already know my parents didn't let me own a console until the Game Cube so I missed out on many games in my child hood, so whenever I would go play the NES/SNES at a friends house it would usually be a Mario or multiplayer game.

Dragon Quest(also Dragon Warrior I assume) was one of the many series I never got into and have yet to get around to to this day, so which game in the series should I start with and how should I progress?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
You know what, when dealing with an RPG, visuals and audio DO make a huge difference. Maybe not for everyone, but RPGs are intended to be an experience and it is the whole package that results in something truly memorable. Exploring a beautifully rendered world is far more interesting than walking around a flat mode 7 map or something (not implying that DQ is using such a thing).

So, something has to have crazy next gen graphics to be memorable. Have people lost touch with what makes a good game a great game?

threeball said:
In case you didn't already know my parents didn't let me own a console until the Game Cube so I missed out on many games in my child hood, so whenever I would go play the NES/SNES at a friends house it would usually be a Mario or multiplayer game.

Dragon Quest(also Dragon Warrior I assume) was one of the many series I never got into and have yet to get around to to this day, so which game in the series should I start with and how should I progress?

Oh boy. Hmm. I want to say start at the beginning, and go forward.

Aeana

DQ9 looks great. I'm very impressed.

However,
20 years of the same wonderful battle system, and now it's an action game? What is Horii thinking?

Magicpaint said:
That's the problem. A-rpgs are great if done right (Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3), but generally are shallow and I'm afraid the DQIX vids do little to instill confience in me that this will be deep. But I'm clinging on to the hope that it'll maintain the great balance and strategy elements the series is known for.

Yup. If they can somehow find a way to implement a magic/spell system that plays to the DS' strengths this could be very good. There are some obvious implementations - like for instance a mage character who heals other players when you draw a circle around them. And maybe spells will be triggered by pushing buttons - so say you map a lightning attack to the L trigger, and when you push it you then use the touch pen to jab at the particular enemy you want to hit with the attack.

Razoric said:

Just an example. I can still play FF7 over FF12 no matter how "ugly" FF7 might be considered these days, it's still my favorite FF. The story and new gameplay elements it brought made a combination for me that hasnt been topped for any rpg since.

teiresias said:
See, here's my main issue, judging by that video DQ:Swords looks more interesting to play than DQIX, and we all know how the DQ:Swords impressions were a week or two ago.

Pre-judging, sure, but they haven't shown enough of the gameplay in DQIX for me to give it any kind of the benefit of the doubt.

In fact, in my opinion, this is not a move only to bring Dragon Quest's gamers to Nintendo DS, but also to port them to Dragon Quest Swords (that now is the only Dragon Quest on a Next-Gen Home System) and to reduce even more the possibilities of the PS3 against the Wii.

What Dragon Quest IX bring to the Nintendo DS is nothing if we compare with what Sony has lost with this decision.

LevelNth

Banned
jarrod said:
It's true... Jeanne's actually got me dangerously close to picking up a PSP. :lol

C'mon pricedrop!
Awesome. Thumbs up to that. :)

Anyways, has there been any art released for IX yet? That slutty girl from DQ:S rules, and I want to see if Toriyama has actually been able to make more of that.

Zack-Morris said:
I don't want to nitpick here, or sound too lame, but is there any way that we can start thread posts without words like "shit" and "bitches" in the title. While NeoGAF'in at work, I now have a nice window in my taskbar that says "OH SHIT...". I know this is a gaming messageboard, but come on, can't we be a bit more mature here.

Heh - you're asking this after reading the hundreds of toys-out-of-the-pram responses that have appeared in this thread? :lol

Aeana said:
DQ9 looks great. I'm very impressed.

However,
20 years of the same wonderful battle system, and now it's an action game? What is Horii thinking?
He's wants to do something different. In fact, I think that's why it's on the DS instead of the PS2 or Wii. It's so different to the other DQs that if it doesn't sell like them, it's not a huge loss.

Pellham

Banned
farnham said:
Fabula Nova Crystallis is containing more then 3 titles...

i can easily see a DS and Wii title in there

but only if the PS3 bombs

I don't think S-E wants to piss off their fanbase when it comes to FF. They've deliberately chosen Playstation platforms for the Kitasecrap FFs because that's where their fanbase wants them to be. That's why even though S-E has all but abandoned the PSP, they will probably still continue to dump their FF7 spinoffs there.

MrSardonic said:
at the moment, DQS looks "meh" gameplay wise.

someone needs to make a RE4-style 3rd person (i.e. the camera position) game based on swords/knives/daggers/axes etc with wiimote slashing/stabbing/twisting/butchery

I support this person's idea.

One thing that you have to admit undeniably suffers here though is the audio, I'm a huge fan of game music and it would have been nice to get a richer sounding soundtrack. I do like ARPGs though, in some ways more than very traditional RPGs like DQVIII, so that could be a good thing.

TreIII

Stumpokapow said:
While Enix is announcing stuff for DS, where's my ****ing Actraiser you shitheads?

Yeah...

I'd at LEAST like confirmation that all the games that the ActRaiser/Soul Blazer crew had a hand in would end up on the VC, if not finally the announcement of a brand new game in either series at last.

You'd think a more or less stylish remake of ActRaiser for the DS (action on the top, SRPG-esque gameplay on the bottom!) would be as pretty much a no-brainer as such a thing could be for a product like this....but alas...

Ah well, I'm hoping that with this dichtomy of how SE is handling their business (high end stuff/Final Fantasy to the PS3, lower-end/DQ to Wii/DS), that we may end up seeing more properties coming back. Or at least, more new stuff. It's a Wonderful World does indeed look wonderful, but I would rather it NOT be the singular original entity introduced this generation...

rofl... this thread.

Not only is DQIX on DS an underwhelming, lazy idea, but the game is a ****ing action RPG? WUT?

Oh well... *goes back to waiting for FFXIII*

Pellham

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
rofl... this thread.

Not only is DQIX on DS an underwhelming, lazy idea, but the game is a ****ing action RPG? WUT?

Oh well... *goes back to waiting for FFXIII*

Did you even care about DQ to begin with?

threeball

Banned
Someone tell me which game in the Dragon Warrior series I should start with.. should I start with the first one, or skip the NES DW games, or what

dark10x

TheTrin said:
So, something has to have crazy next gen graphics to be memorable. Have people lost touch with what makes a good game a great game?
Does something have to have ugly visuals, low quality music, touch!, and simplified casual gameplay to be memorable? :D

I'm not suggesting that every game needs to find its way to a more powerful platform and visuals alone mean little, but I do feel they add quite a bit to the experience when you have a great game backing them up. There are SO FEW of these games on the way while there are HUNDREDS of "old school" RPGs out there.

People seem to be taking up the opinion that good visuals, audio, and presentation == poor gameplay and that's just not true. Some of the best RPGs this generation (gameplay wise) were also incredibly looking and, in a story based experience, the feeling of existing within such a world increases the quality of the experience.

Reilly

threeball said:
Someone tell me which game in the Dragon Warrior series I should start with.. should I start with the first one, or skip the NES DW games, or what

Just play 7 and 8.

The older ones are really dated.

farnham

Banned
dark10x said:
Does something have to have ugly visuals, low quality music, touch!, and simplified casual gameplay to be memorable? :D

I'm not suggesting that every game needs to find its way to a more powerful platform and visuals alone mean little, but I do feel they add quite a bit to the experience when you have a great game backing them up. There are SO FEW of these games on the way while there are HUNDREDS of "old school" RPGs out there.

People seem to be taking up the opinion that good visuals, audio, and presentation == poor gameplay and that's just not true. Some of the best RPGs this generation (gameplay wise) were also incredibly looking and, in a story based experience, the feeling of existing within such a world increases the quality of the experience.

the most memorable game this year (besides Zelda on wii which im playing and loving righ tnow) was Pokemon Diamond and Pearl hands down...

why..?

not because of the graphics

not because of the sound

but because its a damn fun game with sooo many pokemons to catch and a kick ass online feature..

i played like 20 hours or 30 hours oblivion and over 100 hours pokemon DP

Aeana

Pellham said:
Did you even care about DQ to begin with?

Well, that's silly to a point. I think any person who's been following the DQ series since its inception is going to be just a little bit surprised at the 'action rpg' aspect, because DQ hasn't changed in the battle area in 20 years. The battle system itself was a series staple and mainstay. Now, I don't know what I actually think of this because it hasn't really set in, but I will tell you what: I sure am surprised.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TreIII said:
I'd at LEAST like confirmation that all the games that the ActRaiser/Soul Blazer crew had a hand in would end up on the VC, if not finally the announcement of a brand new game in either series at last.
Hear hear! I would approve the arrival of Quintet developed titles upon a golden ship.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
threeball said:
Which DQ is this in America? English games only please

I don't have a PS2
it is DQIII. DQ games have always been numbered properly here. You will have to get the game off of ebay, and because of that make sure you get a legit copy.. if you get one without a save eeprom you'll pretty much be screwed.

edit - actually your safest bet if you don't care about a manual and box is to look for an ebgames or gstop with it. that way you'll know it's legit and isn't missing the save chip.

klee123

TreIII said:
Yeah...

You'd think a more or less stylish remake of ActRaiser for the DS (action on the top, SRPG-esque gameplay on the bottom!) would be as pretty much a no-brainer as such a thing could be for a product like this....but alas...

Ah well, I'm hoping that with this dichtomy of how SE is handling their business (high end stuff/Final Fantasy to the PS3, lower-end/DQ to Wii/DS), that we may end up seeing more properties coming back. Or at least, more new stuff. It's a Wonderful World does indeed look wonderful, but I would rather it NOT be the singular original entity introduced this generation...

I wouldn't count on it. I've waited a whole generation for Square to make some sequals from the PSOne era and the only notable niche franchieses that Square has worked were the front mission(5 rocked tho), saga and mana series.

I want Square to work on their other IP's such as Tobal, Parasite eve, Vagrant story, Bushido blade and Einhander. I know that some of the devs such as Dreamfactory and Lightweight aren't with Square anymore, but at least Square could get some new devs or something.

dark10x

farnham said:
the most memorable game this year (besides Zelda on wii which im playing and loving righ tnow) was Pokemon Diamond and Pearl hands down...

why..?

not because of the graphics

not because of the sound

but because its a damn fun game with sooo many pokemons to catch and a kick ass online feature..

i played like 20 hours or 30 hours oblivion and over 100 hours pokemon DP
Once again, I suppose that demonstrates a difference in opinion (I really dislike the Pokemon RPGs) and I hope that all games can co-exist rather than ONE type of game taking over...

Nothing to do with visuals and audio, however. I don't enjoy that type of gameplay (in fact, the whole "collection" aspect that made its way into Metal Gear PO has had a negative impact on my experience with THAT game).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:

No. That something has to be fun. That is the one and only prerequisite. After that, I don't give a shit what it looks like, what it plays like, or even what console it's on. I just demand FUN.

FUN.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow.

I can't believe I just caught up with this thread...like 20 pages.

Anyway, I think the game looks pretty good. Obviously it looks more like Tales of the Tempest than Dragon Quest VIII, but what can you do.

What I'm a little conflicted about is the gameplay. It looks like an action RPG-- which is fine, but I can't believe Horii did that. All that about the series not changing and tradition being the series' core!

I don't know if DQIX represents the new direction for the series or whatever, but that is really shocking that they went to a handheld platform, made it an ARPG, AND incorporated online play.

I can get over the graphics, and 4 player combat is a lot of fun (rather, can be a lot of fun), but I wanted DQ, not Diablo. :\

sprocket

Banned
lol so now DQ is low end ? its only the best selling game in japan . Come on people this is why no ever takes this place seriously everyone is so hardcore fanboy here . I consider myself more of a ps3 fanboy now . But I recognize that this is a big deal .. in japan at least ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom