• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
now we can see dragon quest monster Jocker selling well!:) :)

aup-1-1150026766-2.jpg

52131020060816_222947_0_big.jpg

Ok, i already though it would work out that way, and here it is.
Easily the best looking NDS-game so far.
Looks like the true Secret of Mana-successor i always wanted^^

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thankfully, I don't play DQ, so this doesn't bother me...

However, I've been throwing out the argument that Nintendo's success is going to have a negative impact on my experiences in the future. I want NEXT-GEN games on 360/PS3 and the Wii/DS success could prevent that from happening as they will end up being developed for and limited by that hardware. Everyone laughed and claimed I was full of it, but you can see right here that I was right. That is EXACTLY what is happening. This same sort of thing is going to start happening on the Wii as well, you can bet on it. I've been looking forward to next generation games from Japanese developers and it looks like I won't be seeing many. Blue Dragon likely sent a message to developers who don't have the backing of MS, so 360 is going to be out. The PS3 situation seems rather dire as well.

teiresias

How odd that I'd actually gone out and traded in my GBA SP and some PS2 games to buy a DS Lite yesterday afternoon without even thinking about Dragon Quest and the possibility of it coming to the system!

I do feel it's a step back. DQ8 was a wonderful world to explore, and pretty much the last purely "medieval" JRPG available for home consoles that didn't have some ridiculously pretentious, esoteric story. The graphical and audio greatness of 8 only made it even more fun to run around the world.

So, even after seeing the videos - which admittedly display nice smooth animation and framerate (though the animation of the actual world seems pretty subpar - note the waves on the "beach" which is like two frames of animation and the waves never seem to go back out to sea), I still think this is a step back for the series.

I saw the series as the last bastion for really old-school JRPG mechanics, and I saw DQ8 as a sign that we were finally seeing that extremely traditional gameplay placed into a somewhat more refined presentation that made it highly enjoyable to play.

Now, though, we get an action RPG? A freaking ACTION RPG? They can call it 9 all they want, but any DQ game that's an action rpg immediately becomes a side-story game to me. I wouldn't be surprised if people look back on this game like we look back on FFXI and think, "You know, they really should have given it a subtitle instead of a number since it's really not part of the main series."

So anyway, it being on the DS itself doesn't really bother me. It's the change to action RPG and the loss of a nicely evolving and enveloping presentation that bother me more. Quite frankly, if they were going the action RPG route it would have been much better on the Wii since that would open up more gameplay possibilities given the control scheme on the machine.

[EDIT]: I have to agree with dark10x's point above. I'm seriously starting to worry about whether we're truly going to get any next-gen experiences out of this "next gen" - at least from Japanese developers. Sure, there are some in the pipeline, but after that I wouldn't be surprised if they just all dry up. I blame it as much on the US audience's propensity for buying up all of EA's mediocre crap as much as I do the Japanese public's lust for non-games and portable gaming.

jarosh

because i know you guys love them ds graphix lolz. color and perspective corrected plus ds native res. bonus motion blur from camera waggle

dq1.jpg
dq2.jpg

dq3.jpg
dq4.jpg

dq5.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
thanks for the gameplay videos, 4 player multiplayer, customised characters, action RPG - awesome. So smooth as well, and it looks pretty far into development.

I LOVE MY DS!!!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Must.......keep.......old Nintendo fanboy d-down. Must......not......go back.....to...........old w-ways. M-multiplatf-f-form good. T-t-tolerance of...........all.........consoles.

dark10x said:

However, I've been throwing out the argument that Nintendo's success is going to have a negative impact on my experiences in the future. I want NEXT-GEN games on 360/PS3 and the Wii/DS success could prevent that from happening as they will end up being developed for and limited by that hardware. Everyone laughed and claimed I was full of it, but you can see right here that I was right. That is EXACTLY what is happening. This same sort of thing is going to start happening on the Wii as well, you can bet on it. I've been looking forward to next generation games from Japanese developers and it looks like I won't be seeing many. Blue Dragon likely sent a message to developers who don't have the backing of MS, so 360 is going to be out. The PS3 situation seems rather dire as well.
DQ9 is 60fps though.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
dark10x said:
I want NEXT-GEN games on 360/PS3 and the Wii/DS success could prevent that from happening as they will end up being developed for and limited by that hardware.

1) As long as X360/PS3 are successful in their own right, they will still get their own versions of well known franchises.

2) Even if they don't, it's not as if we will never see these franchises developed on systems as powerful (or more) than X360/PS3 at some point in the future.

3) As long as established franchises (or new IPs from major developers) use the DSL/Wii interface in a positive manner then I'm sure many gamers will be interested in how the final product provides something new.

MoxManiac

teiresias said:
How odd that I'd actually gone out and traded in my GBA SP and some PS2 games to buy a DS Lite yesterday afternoon without even thinking about Dragon Quest and the possibility of it coming to the system!

I do feel it's a step back. DQ8 was a wonderful world to explore, and pretty much the last purely "medieval" JRPG available for home consoles that didn't have some ridiculously pretentious, esoteric story. The graphical and audio greatness of 8 only made it even more fun to run around the world.

So, even after seeing the videos - which admittedly display nice smooth animation and framerate (though the animation of the actual world seems pretty subpar - note the waves on the "beach" which is like two frames of animation and the waves never seem to go back out to sea), I still think this is a step back for the series.

I saw the series as the last bastion for really old-school JRPG mechanics, and I saw DQ8 as a sign that we were finally seeing that extremely traditional gameplay placed into a somewhat more refined presentation that made it highly enjoyable to play.

Now, though, we get an action RPG? A freaking ACTION RPG? They can call it 9 all they want, but any DQ game that's an action rpg immediately becomes a side-story game to me. I wouldn't be surprised if people look back on this game like we look back on FFXI and think, "You know, they really should have given it a subtitle instead of a number since it's really not part of the main series."

So anyway, it being on the DS itself doesn't really bother me. It's the change to action RPG and the loss of a nicely evolving and enveloping presentation that bother me more. Quite frankly, if they were going the action RPG route it would have been much better on the Wii since that would open up more gameplay possibilities given the control scheme on the machine.

[EDIT]: I have to agree with dark10x's point above. I'm seriously starting to worry about whether we're truly going to get any next-gen experiences out of this "next gen" - at least from Japanese developers. Sure, there are some in the pipeline, but after that I wouldn't be surprised if they just all dry up. I blame it as much on the US audience's propensity for buying up all of EA's mediocre crap as much as I do the Japanese public's lust for non-games and portable gaming.

WTF?? It's an ARPG?

Wow, talk about taking the wind out of my sails.

Lame... if they wanted to save on dev costs at least put it on "last-gen" hardware... PS2 or Wii... not last-last-gen hardware.

Oh well, they'll still make a killing on it, even if it looks horrid.

Meier

TheTrin said:
I love how people are asking "who the hell would want to play things on a handheld instead of a console."

It's very simple gents: people with lives. I want to be able to dip into a game when I want to, not set aside a schedule to play a game. It becomes like another job. I spend about 16 hours awake, and about 10 of it outside the house.

So true.. the lack of save spots in dungeons is killing me in FFXII. When my girlfriend wants to go to bed but I can't save for 30 or 40 minutes, then there's a problem. I can't believe that even after some of the bosses there aren't saves.. omgwtfbbq! Love the game, but the time investment is pretty wicked.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
However, I've been throwing out the argument that Nintendo's success is going to have a negative impact on my experiences in the future.
It's not about what you want... it's about what I want! :lol

X26

Banned
So just saw the videos and pics...wow. S-E is going where the moeny is and is going to make a killing, but what a shame. HUGE step backwards from DQ8. I was hoping DQ9 would take everything DQ8 did and take it a step further on a next-gen platform, but those hopes have been squashed for now.

Jake.

i'm pretty sure when its the released the majority of you will be eating your words and/or have it on your GOTY lists for 2007.

DAMN! :D

Okay, so Final Fantasy is Sony's and now Dragon Quest is Nintendo's. 1/2 split of Square-Enix for each company is what it's looking like :)

I have to ****ing get a DS now! Whoever is denying themselves just isnt a gamer :lol

Pud

Banned
dark10x said:

Nintendo killed next gen! :lol

LevelNth

Banned
dark10x said:

Honestly, I feel the exact same way. I think DQIX looks pretty good, and I'm definitely getting it, but I still stand by my original post that it's a HUGE step back, and Horii should be ashamed. My only hope is that this is really just a spinoff that he decided to deem as IX, sorta like FFXI. I'm totally cool with that. He better have X in the works as a full blown VIII-esque console installment, or I'ma get seriously pissed.

Let's just hope that the PS3 can at least muster 10m in Japan, to convince some of these devs to not all sell out. FFXIII should help in that regard some.

dark10x said:

In the end, what matters is if there are more people happy than the ones that aren't and going by the sales of the supposed last gen machines there are more people happy....so it seems you're in the later category......read a book or something...

gamergirly said:
DAMN! :D

Okay, so Final Fantasy is Sony's and now Dragon Quest is Nintendo's. 1/2 split of Square-Enix for each company is what it's looking like :)

I have to ****ing get a DS now! Whoever is denying themselves just isnt a gamer :lol
BEATS CHEST

Cheesemeister said:
Iwata looks super-excited there. Doesn't he realize what just happened?

Iwata is a businessman at heart. Emotion doesn't print money.

jarosh

i'm not going to pretend that this affects me somehow. it's understandable that this sucks for quite a few long term dragon quest fans. i have never played a dq game before, i know nothing about the universe and i'm not really into jrpgs. but the fact that this is on a handheld now and that it's apparently going to be an arpg has me intrigued. maybe that's blasphemy. but yeah, i'm kinda almost looking forward to it now...

but then again i kinda wish it was on psp

Looks sweet, i can't see this reaching the DQVIII levels of sales but even so, SE will make a massive profit from this and it will be a million seller. (Just like FFIII will 'eventually' reach one million sales in Japan)

I can understand some peopel who are sore that this is for a handheld and not on a console but in the bigger picture this is a great busines decision and overall a great gamer's decision. For me, DQ had never been a graphics game, its been about the gameplay, story and characters and im sure with Level 5 developing this, it will deliver those. Those who are complaining about the long hours on a handheld debate, thats a fair point but games like Pokemon, Advance Wars and other long games on handhelds have proven that 24+hour long game can work on handhelds. (even if DQVIII did last me 50 hours or so)

This is great news in every respect, no matter how u try to spin it. Don't do the hate. Do the love!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've never followed the DQ series...

Is this the equivalent of Square deciding to put FFXIV, i.e., the next iteration of the series, on the Wii?

teiresias said:
You can tell this right now... how?

dark10x said:

I suppose that is a concern that I have as well, but I remain cautiously optimistic that the 'next-gen' situation will improve. I think the thing to think about with Japan is that, with the shunning of the 360, the next-gen only really started last month. So in a sense for Japanese developers there's been this big generational gap, bigger than they'd usually expect. Into this gap the DS has emerged as this sales phenomenon.

When you consider A) AAA rpgs always take a little while to arrive on a platform anyway and B) the increased resources (both time and money) of delivering next-gen games, I think this news is not that unexpected (outside of the game being called DQIX).

Mato

Cheesemeister said:
Iwata looks super-excited there. Doesn't he realize what just happened?

I'm sure he does, otherwise it wouldn't be Iwata but some minor assistant representing Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom