• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NintendosBooger said:
Looking at the Japanese chart recently, I'd say otherwise. 3 years ago, I would have agreed with the statement, "If you have DQ and FF, you have Japan." Now, I don't think that's the case at all. Simply put, if you have Nintendo, you have Japan.
Nintendo needs it for the DS because in a way it gets their foot in the door for getting a main Dragon Quest game on their console.

kevm3

reminder said:
Square Enix about PS3: "We don't want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them. But we don't want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can't support them too much."

What concerns me about this quote is that the DQ9 announcement may not even be the end of "not wanting the Playstation 3 to be the overwhelming winner," as this move directly affects the PSP more than the PS3. What exactly does that quote mean for Sony? FF13 port to the 360 down the line to 'keep things fair?' Original series on the 360 and Wii? DQ X for Wii? Losing DQ9 outright like this is a blow of confidence to the exclusivity of other games on the platform. This, coupled with other developers canning PS3 exclusivity: we've seen it happen with Koei (Fatal Inertia, Bladestorm), From Software (Armored Core 4), Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed), Rockstar (lost timed exclusivity of GTA), Namco (Ridge Racer 6 gets its next-gen start on 360). That $500-$600 price suddenly looks much higher.

Fady K

Drek said:
I find this very weak. SE is basically admitting its all about money, not delivering a deep, engrossing RPG experience for their fans. Will it be wildly popular? Sure. Will it still be a pretty good game? Probably. But its not what DQIX should have been, a game you can sink 80+ hours into a la DQVIII or FFXII.

Great news for DS fans, bad news for RPG fans, as its clear Square Enix is simply unwilling to invest the money in non-Final Fantasy branded epic titles. As a former SE fanboy who had already lost a lot of faith in the company this generation (with FFXII bringing a small amount of that back) I can't see that I didn't see this coming though. They have no real dedication to the DQ franchise outside of cashing in on its large Japanese fanbase.

I can only pray that Mistwalker delivers, they're our last real hope for big budget epic RPGs this generation not named Final Fantasy. I wouldn't even mind the later if it was more Matsuno lead goodness like FFXII, instead I'm sure we'll get more Nomura crap pandering to the ADD generation of gamers.

My thoughts exactly. I was a huge SquareEnix fanboy as well. The closer i get to completing FFXII the sadder I get...

Mana Knight said:
PS3 is also $500. By the time a Dragon Quest could have come to PS3, the price would have been more reasonable.

But from what I remembered, the reason DQVIII came to PS2 in Japan is because it had the largest userbase. Enix wants to bring a new DQ game to the platform with the biggest userbase, always.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Because of that, it keeps making next generation console less appealing to me. :(

Yeah, it discourages me too..its time we hear some next-gen news...i want next-gen RPGs :(

reminder said:
Square Enix about PS3: "We don't want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them. But we don't want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can't support them too much."

Square Enix about DS: "We want the Nintendo DS to be the overwhelming winner."

Thats probably what they meant to say, those bull$hitters.

Jonnyram said:
Yet a typical salaryman might be taking home 200,000 yen a month. The low end PS3 costs a quarter of his monthly salary. Try to think in terms of cost of living instead of OMG IT'S LESS DOLLURZZZ!!!

But strangely DQ8 did NOT sell 4 million. It only just sold over 2 million and it was one of the lowest selling DQs in history.

Yeah i know you meant 3.5 million, but actually it sold FOUR.5 million, in Japan only and its the second highest selling DQ title of ALL time. Not only that it was on par with the HIGHEST scoring DQ game in Japan as well. In the US on the other hand, it sold extremely well, best selling DQ title there, best selling DQ title in Europe as well. 5.5 million combined, this could very well be the best selling DQ title of all time. Not to mention, this was the only DQ game that was widely favored by critics all over Europe and US/Canada.

Jammy

Banned
I'm liking the combat. DQVIII's battles seemed really long, tedious, and got occasionally boring. This is a very refreshing change for the series (as is the customization, co-op, etc.).

Luckett_X

Banned
LOL looking from the video, it looks like Dragon Quest just got Phantasy Star Online'd :lol

Hopefully this will pave way for a next gen DQ MMORPG. Because that smells like money too, but gotta wait for the market to expand first lawl

gogogow

Jonnyram said:
Yet a typical salaryman might be taking home 200,000 yen a month. The low end PS3 costs a quarter of his monthly salary. Try to think in terms of cost of living instead of OMG IT'S LESS DOLLURZZZ!!!.
Well I guess those typical salarymen should save some money from time to time
Otherwise they need to be CEO before they can buy a car using their monthly income.

Well, this is some news to wake up to. This is probably the biggest megaton since Square's defection in '96. And now, for my obligatory Kermit freak-out.

HOLY SHIT WHAT IN THE ****ING HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!

Mato

Suikoguy said:
I still wonder why those choose the DS over the PS2.. there were rumblings about DQ9 being on the PS2, I don't get why they called this DQ9, and not a new Dragon Quest series seeing as it looks to be very far away from the roots of the series.

It doesn't look that far away from DQVII. And all the things we know about gameplay are just rumors, no?

Prospero

Hmm.

Pros:

+ If DQ8 had been on a handheld instead of a console, I probably would have finished it--it's the sort of game I'd rather play to distract me on a trip or something, rather than a game I want to sit down in front of a TV and deal with for an hour at a time.

Cons:

- I can't stand action RPGs.

So it's a wash for me, really.

LevelNth

Banned
jarrod said:
DraQue, DS and an ARPG? It's like Horii's making this game just for me! :lol
I actually had that exact thought when I read it was an ARPG. :)

"Ohhh, now I know why jarrod hasn't posted yet. He's had a freakin' stroke." :lol

PS. Don't forget Level-5!! You know you love 'em!

andthebeatgoeson

I started reading at the megaton but go tired during the whining (3 pages later). So, if in 9 months they announce a console version/followup to the main series, everything is forgiven?

I can see why some people start picking on fanboys. It corrupts you to see them so excited/agitated over a game or system. It's all you can probably focus on after awhile. A good 95% of this thread is purely reaction...to people's reactions. Not alot of gameplay discussion. Or maybe I just gave up to early to read the other 27 pages of 'OMG, posting in a legendary thread' or N64aton. I feel bad for Drinky. The quest for the ring around fanboys necks corrupted him so.

Defuser

I find it funny how most people forgotten that even though Square-Enix is one company,Square & Enix both stay out of each other business with little interference.
So.......
Square:We don't want Sony to win all the time,we give chance to other competitors.
Enix :We're here to cash in on the most products sold LOL.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm liking the graphics and art. But that video has me a bit worried. Of course it was like less than 15 second of battle footage, but I don't like the idea of realtime fighting in a main series DQ game. Is it possible that it was just psuedo realtime, sorta like the wait system in FFXII? If you're watching it, the game looks realtime but to those playing it still seems turn based. Gambit system in DQ possibly?

I don't know why I even bother worrying. I'm getting IX, and Joker, and the Rocket Slime sequel whenever it comes along.... *sigh*

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love how people are asking "who the hell would want to play things on a handheld instead of a console."

It's very simple gents: people with lives. I want to be able to dip into a game when I want to, not set aside a schedule to play a game. It becomes like another job. I spend about 16 hours awake, and about 10 of it outside the house.

Anyone who says you don't want long RPGs on the go has never played an RPG on the go in their life. Please tell me you know you can actually STOP when you want to, and don't have to play more than 10 minutes at a time if you dont want to.

Defuser said:
I find it funny how most people forgotten that even though Square-Enix is one company,Square & Enix both stay out of each other business with little interference.
So.......
Square:We don't want Sony to win all the time,we give chance to other competitors.
Enix :We're here to cash in on the most products sold LOL.
Makes sense.

farnham

Banned
i think todays announcement was pretty inline with that interview that i translated

he does not care about the tech race and wants to slow it down

-> support Wii and DS the machines with less power

he was interested in FFXI, Monsterhunter and online play

-> DQ IX will be online

Mato

The video looks good in graphics but no, no, no I don't care about online multiplayer stuff, just make a good one-player game. Are they again trying to pull a FFXI? Are they still hoping to hit the spot and make an easy cash-cow similar to WOW? They think: DQ+DS is bound to do the trick.

Action RPG? Won't that make Japanese fans angry?
farnham said:
why all this fuzz.. isnt Pokemon Diamond Pearl a much bigger franchise then Dragonquest.>?
Hell no DQ even created Japanese words that are used nowadays.

farnham

Banned
Prospero said:
Hmm.

Pros:

+ If DQ8 had been on a handheld instead of a console, I probably would have finished it--it's the sort of game I'd rather play to distract me on a trip or something, rather than a game I want to sit down in front of a TV and deal with for an hour at a time.

Cons:

- I can't stand action RPGs.

So it's a wash for me, really.

but// but but... teh zelda....

Jake.

TheTrin said:
I love how people are asking "who the hell would want to play things on a handheld instead of a console."

It's very simple gents: people with lives. I want to be able to dip into a game when I want to, not set aside a schedule to play a game. It becomes like another job. I spend about 16 hours awake, and about 10 of it outside the house.

Anyone who says you don't want long RPGs on the go has never played an RPG on the go in their life. Please tell me you know you can actually STOP when you want to, and don't have to play more than 10 minutes at a time if you dont want to.

seriously, i don't see the big deal about RPG's (i'm not just talking about DQ) on handhelds at all. especially like you said, not all of us have time to sit down for hours on end in front of a TV screen.

ps wow at 140k topic views.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Red Scarlet said:
Wow, I can't believe I read the whole thing! :lol

Trin, I pm'd you my first posted reply in the thread after the announcement.
..and just as DQ8 battle song comes up on winamp. :lol

Well, like I said earlier, I do not mind the platform, as I have a half-working DS (which looks like it will need to be fixed or replaced before mid 2007).

I *am* concerned about the switch to an action rpg..as I am really not a fan of those. However, if I am able to play this online with a couple of people, then it could be fun. As long as it's not an mmorpg, I'll give the game a whirl. It could be a fun romp to play some DQ with other people. I would imagine that the job system will reappear, and actually hope that it does for this type of game. I could have a lot of fun casting Thief Nose and looking for stuff in chests or pots in town while the crappy people playing with me go to shops and stuff.

Does that mean I like the change? No. I'd prefer 9 (which I am still in shock of it being what was announced) to be like the other ones, and right now hope 10 reverts to the usual. Really, my biggest/only right now complaint about it being on the DS and not a console is that I can't make videos of it. :lol

Over the years, I've gone through many games I hold dear to my heart make big changes. Some I've recovered from and kept going with them (Castlevania, Final Fantasy), others I have long since stopped acknowledging their existence (Zelda, Mega Man). It seems as though this series has now arrived at the gauntlet.

I originally had no interest in Dragon Quest 8 due to not really liking the original 5 nor 7 much, but gave 8 a shot and was glad I did. Even if 9 blows ass, it may go back to form in 10. If 9 is awesome, by principle I'd rather it go back for 10, but if it doesn't, I'll probably give that a try too.

I know Trin was expecting a suicide note, but really, I've gotten and played through some FF games I really dislike for awhile now, even multiple times. DQ has gone through that too, except now it's reached the 'quite a change' period, which could go either way. Anyway, I'll get the game and I may love it, or I may hate it 5 minutes in. Either way, I'm buying it and hope I enjoy it, but deep down I still would like the 4th trilogy to go to a console and be what I've come to expect and love about these games.

The graphics don't matter to me, I am more in the club of the overworld possibly suffering in comparison to 8's since it is a 3d game, and more about the action rpg aspect. But playing DQ with a couple other people could be fun, even if it is not the usual DQ I have come to expect. Maybe it'll be awesome, maybe it'll suck ass. Who knows.

I'd like to end this post with a request to the mods. It's finals week right now, and I just spent over 1/4 of a day keeping up with this thread and blabbing on irc, and I shouldn't be. I'd like to request a ban until 12:01 AM EST 12/16(/06). Thanks.

A far more accepting response than I was expecting. :lol

I'm looking forward to rocking ogre ass with Scarlet and Error online. I am so ****ing pumped for this game.

farnham

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Action RPG? Won't that make Japanese fans angry?

Hell no DQ even created Japanese words that are used nowadays.

but pokemon DP sold 3.5 million and its not even after its first year

jarrod

Banned
LevelNth said:
I actually had that exact thought when I read it was an ARPG. :)

"Ohhh, now I know why jarrod hasn't posted yet. He's had a freakin' stroke." :lol
The genre's on the rise again after 2 generations of stagnation. I can't believe DS is actually getting all new high profile Zelda, DQ and FF ARPGs next year.

LevelNth said:
PS. Don't forget Level-5!! You know you love 'em!
It's true... Jeanne's actually got me dangerously close to picking up a PSP. :lol

C'mon pricedrop!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn.

I just had to post in here... this is how you make a surprise announcement... and if you didn't already know, I think it's official that the DS is officially the king of Japan...

I wonder what colour the special edition DS Lite would/will be?

ourumov

Just saw it on TV... Squenix found an excellent chance to make excellent profit doing the game for the DS since the costs are going to be pretty "yasui"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom