• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

Selling through preorders this fast leads to believe either supply is limited or stores are hedging their bets and limiting their preorder allotment until more supply details are given. Wouldn't surprise me if they open up the preorder lines again later or will have systems available for walk ins.

Maaseru

Banned
If I pre-order from Toys-R-us will they charge my card immediately or what? How do Online pre-orders work? I've never had to do one.

tkscz

Selling through preorders this fast leads to believe either supply is limited or stores are hedging their bets and limiting their preorder allotment until more supply details are given. Wouldn't surprise me if they open up the preorder lines again later or will have systems available for walk ins.

According to the gamestop my friend and I went to, Nintendo sent them the message that their supply of deluxe models were out. I got mine in the morning so I was lucky enough to pre-order a deluxe version. He had to get the basic.

If I pre-order from Toys-R-us will they charge my card immediately or what? How do Online pre-orders work? I've never had to do one.

No they don't charge you immediately. As soon as they get the Wii U in and process it and ship it to you, then your card will be charged.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This is BS! They didn't even formally announce it was up for reservation WTF. I hope here where I'm from PR I still can get my pre-order.

edit:OK I called,no BS WTF. They had about 20 deluxe editions only. How did this happen so fast. Not even an e-mail from GS saying I could go to reserve it....

I received an email.... Also fellow PR Gafer... *high five*

Pre-ordered online.

So what's my best option now for midnight I store pick up? Target? Best buy? Toys r us?

I'd honestly try a store that's open 24 hours like Walmart so you're not outside freezing your ass off. That's what I did for the Wii and they let us line up in the back of the store near the layway/in-store pickup area.

According to the gamestop my friend and I went to, Nintendo sent them the message that their supply of deluxe models were out. I got mine in the morning so I was lucky enough to pre-order a deluxe version. He had to get the basic.

Then they must be extremely limited in supply. Any word from your friend the number of orders they had to stop at? That's anecdotal of course as each store is different.

Edit: see someone mentioned 20 of the deluxe. Interesting.

Busty

Banned
How is this surprising? This feels like Nitnendo PR spinning gold from shit. The 'shit' being a weak response to Nintendo's WiiU conference on Thursday.

The WiiU is going to sell gangbusters to the Nintendo hardcore and hardly anyone else. The Nintendo hardcore are (to say the very least) rabid and will want the console day one. Thus it's going to sell out on pre order in many places.

Let's see how the WiiU is doing after six months when every Nintendo fan that wants a console has one and the general public are apathetic when the next gen machines are round the corner and the tablet gimmick has no games to show it off.

And before you call me a troll I'm just calling it the way I see it.

markatisu

How is this surprising? This feels like Nitnendo PR spinning gold from shit. The 'shit' being a weak response to Nintendo's WiiU conference on Thursday.

The WiiU is going to sell gangbusters to the Nintendo hardcore and hardly anyone else. The Nintendo hardcore are (to say the very least) rabid and will want the console day one. Thus it's going to sell out on pre order in many places.

Let's see how the WiiU is doing after six months when every Nintendo fan that wants a console has one and the general public are apathetic when the next gen machines are round the corner and the tablet gimmick has no games to show it off.

There were a lot of you when the Wii launched as well, and when the Wii continued its pace for 2 years

If you have ever worked retail the magic of hype and hint of sold out can drive a product to ridiculous sales.

bill0527

This is such crap. I'm convinced that they deliberately send shortages to retailers to fan the hype. There was none of this shit when the Playstation 2 and regular XBox was released. I remember being able to pick up the XBox in early December 2001. It seems like this trend began to seriously take hold with the current generation consoles.

I'm not sure where you live, but I live in the middle of nowhere and there were 75 people lined up and snaked around the side of the building at my Best Buy on PS2 launch day.

This was before they started doing a ticket system for people in line and coming out to tell you how much they had in stock, so everyone was standing there with no clue as to whether they would get a system.

omonimo

Banned
There were a lot of you when the Wii launched as well, and when the Wii continued its pace for 2 years

If you have ever worked retail the magic of hype and hint of sold out can drive a product to ridiculous sales.

Come on now. It's almost a routine to sell out at launch, there is nothing of extraordinary in what going on until now. To understand the trend of a console we need to wait more longer than the first 2 months.

Ah yes, the return of the "Nintendo console will only sell to Nintendo fanboys" nonsense.

Just like "the Wii will sell to the 21 million or so Nintendo diehards who bought the Gamecube!"

I really thought we were past this.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah Nintendo clearly created some good hype before the release with recent announcement and all.. but those preorders say NOTHING about the mainstream success of the thing. I'm not saying it won't be a success, even if i'll be surprised if it's wii ranged.

But you have to realize at this point, nobody knows about this console yet..

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

gqyAl.png

Galang

Banned
Wow what the heck. I had the hardest time getting a Wii the first year and paid like 100 extra for one on eBay. I didn't rush to preorder one this time cause didn't expect demand to be so high already ... Especially not for the deluxe bundle. Will have to preorder ASAP from somewhere else to be safe..

Though it's been a while since a new console launch, so after reading more posts I guess it's normal. But I'll still preorder today.

Lombax

Banned
Not surprised in the least casual market is huge, its something "new", and a lot of parents out there probably remember what it was like when the Wii was launched and you could not find them anywhere.

Just shows that people are craving for new, FRESH experiences, rather than the next overpriced Power-Machine.

Very glad to hear. But maybe Nintendo does limit the stock to create an artificial scarcity.

I don't see the value. Nintendoland isn't a game I consider worthy of money, so you're paying for more-but-still-not-enough storage and some stands. Shrug.

You really don't see the extra value with more space, the charging cradle and stand, the premium service that gives you 10% back in Nintendo points towards future eshop games ( the only way to get into that program..at least for now) well, not sure if serious, but I think I can part with that.. Oh and the kids and Wife will like the game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just shows that people are craving for new, FRESH experiences, rather than the next overpriced Power-Machine.

Very glad to hear. But maybe Nintendo does limit the stock to create an artificial scarcity.

When a console is bleeding money, they do limit stock to stop their losses. The Wii U, as far as I know, is profitable from day 0, so the only need they'd have for this is to create more hype.

"WII U SOLD OUT" on every news station is great publicity

omonimo

Banned

Touch screen is a new, fresh experiences now? Wow, sometimes nintendo fan claims sounds completely crazy to me.

markatisu

Touch screen is a new, fresh experiences now? Wow, sometimes nintendo fan claims sounds completely crazy to me.

Worked for Apple and the iOS ;)

As far as consoles go it is new, unless the 360, PS3 and previous Wii have touch screen controls I missed

ironcreed

Banned
I had every intention of waiting, but I am kind of getting the itch for a new console after all these years and I have not bought one right at launch since the PS2. Should I go ahead and do it today? Need to make up my mind fast.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Lol. Just no, the WiiU will be purchases by those who care about videogames, not by only the "rabid Nintendo fans".

Zero148

The black WiiU is at Nr. 2 in the amazon.de game charts too, the white one at Nr. 108.

So in Germany the black one seems more popular too

MarioU is btw at Nr.9, one place in front of Fifa 13 PC oO

edit:
I placed my preorder at Gamestop a hour ago (with Mario and Rayman)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that didn't take long.

I pre-ordered from BestBuy.ca myself, the deluxe version.

iammeiam

I just went back and looked up Wii launch figures--apparently it sold roughly 600k in the first eight days in the US? If we accept that Nntendo was really producing Wiis at capacity (and I think the "faking it for attention" argument for the Wii did eventually die off), and Gamestop's allocation really was 100k consoles, I don't think Nntendo is grossly lowballing launch shipments to create hype.

Do we know if the 20/store or 100k chain-wide guess numbers are supposed to be model-specific? Assuming it's both versions combined, that's still 1/6th of the Wii launch total allocated to just GameStop. If that's per-model, it bumps up to a third.

omonimo

Banned
Stop trolling. There are other threads for that.

Is it trolling now? Why do you thinking nintendo has launched a console with touch screen controller? A coincidence? Anyway this return from the greeve for the nintendo, sound completely illogic to me. Even kz2 was sold out in the pre order & we know how is ended. I just said to be a bit more rational at least wait mature time to claim something like this. My predictions is all the console will sell a lot lesser than the current generation, even the ps4/x720 but I could wrong.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Maybe, just maybe he's referring to the Wii U's assymetrical gameplay. Have you, like, even considered that? Of course you didn't......

Top Bottom