• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini Mafia I |OT| Why is it so small?

Kawl_USC

Yea and I think that's true from the push we've seen today. I just haven't broken it down in any real detail.

Tbh I read you guys as scumbros so I don't particularly care which of you go.

Fireblend

Banned
Vote: Ty4on

My vote on Sophia is past its expiration date, she's not that high on my priority list and I've made my point on her seeming somewhat suspicious. Placing my vote on Ty4on for now since that will make the vote list the most similar to my actual scum reads with Sky, Terra and Ty on the lead. I'm not sure how I feel about lynching Terra with such low activity today though, I don't want to do the mods job >_>

Ty4on

UNVOTE
There's too much friction with Hyper.
What's with the long term narrative being formed here? There's a common trend of suspicion on Sky/Melon, people saying they're suspicious to me of varying degrees, and an extremely odd analysis of my playing pattern despite none of these people ever having seen me play scum ever in GAFia history.
I still don't like replies like these though. I don't know what your scum game is like, but I've seen your town game and it felt very different. I don't know the scum plays of anyone here except Splinter.

SkyOdin

Yea and I think that's true from the push we've seen today. I just haven't broken it down in any real detail.

Tbh I read you guys as scumbros so I don't particularly care which of you go.
You are still evading the question.

Thos should be an easy question to answer, so why do you keep squirreling around it? You just double down on me and Ty4on being a scum team, but you are being really quiet on the details.

Kawl_USC

Thos should be an easy question to answer, so why do you keep squirreling around it? You just double down on me and Ty4on being a scum team, but you are being really quiet on the details.

Because I'm at work and don't really feel like taking an hour to go back and reread.

It's not an easy question to answer because it involves going back and re reading the thread with a different point of view than I did on the previous pass, mainly you being town.

If it comes to pass I'll do it this evening after work. I've put forth the work and research I did last night, sorry I can't be assed to do another second dip so that you can have a satisfactory answer. No reason beyond "I think your scum" is actually ever really needed for a vote btw. You say you wouldn't have been stupid enough to try to save hyper yesterday but I think it was a legit mistake any scum could have made on reading the situation.

Sophia

Vote: Ty4on

My vote on Sophia is past its expiration date, she's not that high on my priority list and I've made my point on her seeming somewhat suspicious. Placing my vote on Ty4on for now since that will make the vote list the most similar to my actual scum reads with Sky, Terra and Ty on the lead. I'm not sure how I feel about lynching Terra with such low activity today though, I don't want to do the mods job >_>

I sent a PM to bats. Best just to let him handle it if Terra doesn't pop back up, yeah.

I still don't like replies like these though. I don't know what your scum game is like, but I've seen your town game and it felt very different. I don't know the scum plays of anyone here except Splinter.

Hmm... did I strike a nerve?

smug249o3i.jpg

Because I'm at work and don't really feel like taking an hour to go back and reread.

It's not an easy question to answer because it involves going back and re reading the thread with a different point of view than I did on the previous pass, mainly you being town.

If it comes to pass I'll do it this evening after work. I've put forth the work and research I did last night, sorry I can't be assed to do another second dip so that you can have a satisfactory answer. No reason beyond "I think your scum" is actually ever really needed for a vote btw. You say you wouldn't have been stupid enough to try to save hyper yesterday but I think it was a legit mistake any scum could have made on reading the situation.

Hmm... I think it's an easy question to answer myself, but you are very throughout in how you approach stuff so I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it at work.

Ty4on

Why were you so confident in Hyper yesterday when the two of you barely ever spoke?

cabot

It's badminton night, I'll be around at about half an hour from deadline.

Nothing so far feels urgent enough to change my vote

SkyOdin

Why were you so confident in Hyper yesterday when the two of you barely ever spoke?
Oh, as I said, I messed up and got the order of events of who said what confused.

Normally, I actually take detailed notes when playing Mafia. However, the short phases and high activity of this game mean that I don't have the time to take notes. So, I was still getting a feel for who everyone even was on Day 1. In short, some of the things you said and some of the things Hyper said got jumbled in my brain.

I think I have a better grasp of who everyone is and where they stand today, though.

*Splinter

Good news all. I didn't drown.

Actually Splinter... where DID your read of SkyOdin come from? You just suddenly jumped on the SkyOdin train after cabot presented his evidence...

And there's been very little attempt to try and debate and argue with him from from you. These are the only two I can find...

Is cabot's evidence that strong that you suddenly jumped on the train but waited so long to actually vote for him? I know I did something similar in D1, which is why I'm asking you.
SkyOdin voted against a scum lynch right before it became unavoidable. He was under my radar all day, but I don't need Cabot to point out a vote trap that I set up. He's been almost unanimously scumread today, described as "almost too obvious" by Ty (bad comment btw) and "not worth a mega post" by Kawl.

Voting for him is almost a formality at this point. When Kawl asked for votes I was actually surprised to see so many votes going elsewhere.

Ty4on

Oh, as I said, I messed up and got the order of events of who said what confused.

Normally, I actually take detailed notes when playing Mafia. However, the short phases and high activity of this game mean that I don't have the time to take notes. So, I was still getting a feel for who everyone even was on Day 1. In short, some of the things you said and some of the things Hyper said got jumbled in my brain.

I think I have a better grasp of who everyone is and where they stand today, though.

How did you confuse who said what?

Did you find Hyper's posts suspicious in D1 despite not quite realizing he had written them?

SkyOdin

How did you confuse who said what?

Did you find Hyper's posts suspicious in D1 despite not quite realizing he had written them?
Because when reading large numbers of posts in a row it is easy for some of it to blur together in my memory?

Now, I am ashamed to admit that Hyper didn't register as scum to me for most of Day 1, so When the accusations against Hyper happened, I had to use the search feature to reread his previous posts. However, that meant that I read those posts slightly divorced from the context of the rest of the thread. I was also under a time crunch, since we had less than half an hour until day's end at that point, while the thread was moving fast. As such, my mind mistakenly placed some of the posts Hyper made to where some of the posts you made in the thread were placed. My memory isn't very good, I admit. That's why I need to retead the thread in detail everytime I make an argument.

It was only after I retead the thread in detail during the night phase that I fully understood why Kawl and everyone else saw Hyper as scummy.

I probably won't make mistakes like that as much once I have played more games with everyone and gotten your avatars more straight. Though it doesn't help that everyone is always changing avatars.

Ty4on

Because when reading large numbers of posts in a row it is easy for some of it to blur together in my memory?

Now, I am ashamed to admit that Hyper didn't register as scum to me for most of Day 1, so When the accusations against Hyper happened, I had to use the search feature to reread his previous posts. However, that meant that I read those posts slightly divorced from the context of the rest of the thread. I was also under a time crunch, since we had less than half an hour until day's end at that point, while the thread was moving fast. As such, my mind mistakenly placed some of the posts Hyper made to where some of the posts you made in the thread were placed. My memory isn't very good, I admit. That's why I need to retead the thread in detail everytime I make an argument.

It was only after I retead the thread in detail during the night phase that I fully understood why Kawl and everyone else saw Hyper as scummy.

I probably won't make mistakes like that as much once I have played more games with everyone and gotten your avatars more straight. Though it doesn't help that everyone is always changing avatars.
I don't understand the comment about the search function. Shouldn't those posts quite clearly be Hyper's? Main difference being the lack of context (but you get that by scrolling).

Did you read Kawl's mega post and what did you think of it back then?

No worries I understand be pain of mobile. Would greatly appreciate it if you could before day's end though.

Work is chaos right now and I keep getting interrupted. Will try and make it back for deadlime. I will emphasize that I get good vibes from Stan and believe him to your opposite, 1911.

Sophia

SkyOdin voted against a scum lynch right before it became unavoidable. He was under my radar all day, but I don't need Cabot to point out a vote trap that I set up. He's been almost unanimously scumread today, described as "almost too obvious" by Ty (bad comment btw) and "not worth a mega post" by Kawl.

Voting for him is almost a formality at this point. When Kawl asked for votes I was actually surprised to see so many votes going elsewhere.

Hmm... you do have a strong point about the votes going elsewhere. I give Fireblend a pass because it's clear he was fishing for reactions to me, and gave a fairly compelling counter argument. But then there's Ty and Stanley's votes...

Guess I'll see how things play out. I don't see a reason to move my vote off Sky at the moment, but I'm getting the slight impression of dead air.

SkyOdin

I don't understand the comment about the search function. Shouldn't those posts quite clearly be Hyper's? Main difference being the lack of context (but you get that by scrolling).

Did you read Kawl's mega post and what did you think of it back then?
Of course the posts were clearly labeled as Hyper's. It is just that the content of the posts struck me as "I've read this before". However, my brain made a bad association between the content of Hyper's post and when and where I had read it before.

Also, I will admit that I kinda skimmed Kawl's mega-post the first time. I don't have a good excuse for that. Sorry.

Ty4on

Guess I'll see how things play out. I don't see a reason to move my vote off Sky at the moment, but I'm getting the slight impression of dead air.
lol

Not to mention unless he's alone there's only one scum mate who can defend him as well.

*Splinter

Yeah I'd be more concerned with DADV if we had drifted onto some middle of the road candidate. It's pretty hard to argue against a Sky lynch without deferring to a gut read.

We also haven't stopped looking at other people.

So... yeah

Kawl_USC

Ah, Terra, the game specific rules are pretty clear on what your supposed to do in this situation.

And it's very much not make a post like that :/

Ty4on

Of course the posts were clearly labeled as Hyper's. It is just that the content of the posts struck me as "I've read this before". However, my brain made a bad association between the content of Hyper's post and when and where I had read it before.

Also, I will admit that I kinda skimmed Kawl's mega-post the first time. I don't have a good excuse for that. Sorry.
Where did the confidence in your town read of Hyper come from then?

Could you make a timeline maybe of your thoughts and actions that day end?
Yeah I'd be more concerned with DADV if we had drifted onto some middle of the road candidate. It's pretty hard to argue against a Sky lynch without deferring to a gut read.

We also haven't stopped looking at other people.

So... yeah
Who do you think are the two remaning scum? I have Sky, but I'm not sure who the third is.

I know we could have just two scum, but three is much more likely.

Kawl_USC

Only way we have two scum is the scenario I painted of it being a SK who killed LP and mafia hitting the 1 shot bp SK.

As far as I'm concerned this is essentially tossed out.

Ty4on

Only way we have two scum is the scenario I painted of it being a SK who killed LP and mafia hitting the 1 shot bp SK.

As far as I'm concerned this is essentially tossed out.
Who do you think is the third one when I flip town?

Vote: SkyOdin

batsnacks

CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

Sorian WILL BE REPLACING Terrabyte20xx EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

THE PLAYER ROSTER WILL BE UPDATED IN ABOUT AN HOUR

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE OF VOTE COUNTS ETC.
[/b]

SkyOdin

I didn't have a confident town read of Hyper, actually. I don't think I ever claimed to have on either. Terrabyte and L_P were on my radar as possible scum because of their low activity levels and general coasting. Hyper didn't really register with me at all until the last couple of hours, so I had to rush to make an opinion on him at the last minute. In the end, my pre-existing suspicions won out. So I would say that I only ever had a neutral reading on Hyper at best.

*Splinter

Who do you think are the two remaning scum? I have Sky, but I'm not sure who the third is.

I know we could have just two scum, but three is much more likely.
You or Sophia currently most likely. Could also be someone who hasn't really been in the spotlight yet - Stan or Fireblend would be my "shot in the dark" guesses.

Sophia

[/b]

Finally, I get to play a game with Sorian.

Let us know what you think of the scenario + if we can help recap, Sorian. Sucks coming in near the end of a day phase tho. D:

Sorian

Banned

[/b]

tumblr_mpot46ydCm1qaa5c1o2_500.gif

Haven't read much of this game aside from the day 1 end so I'm going to do that before posting anything substantial. I'm busy for like another hour or so and then I'll get right into that.

SkyOdin

I can't justify keeping my vote on Terrabyte after he is leaving the game of course. The main basis of my scum reading of him has been his low activity and lack of commitment to scum-hunting. However, if he is being replaced because of lack of enthusiasm for the game, then I can't very well stick to my guns on that argument.

So, there is someone else I have been suspicious of since Day 1.

Vote: melonrabbit

I still think that melonrabbit has been making an effort to say as little as possible and stay out of the limelight. She sticks to short, one or two sentence posts as much as possible, and makes a lot of fluff posts when she actually posts. I don't think I have yet to see her actually go after someone aggressively yet, either.

SkyOdin

Haven't read much of this game aside from the day 1 end so I'm going to do that before posting anything substantial. I'm busy for like another hour or so and then I'll get right into that.
Just to warn you, we only have two hours left in this day phase, so read fast.

Kawl_USC

I can't justify keeping my vote on Terrabyte after he is leaving the game of course. The main basis of my scum reading of him has been his low activity and lack of commitment to scum-hunting. However, if he is being replaced because of lack of enthusiasm for the game, then I can't very well stick to my guns on that argument.

So, there is someone else I have been suspicious of since Day 1.

Vote: melonrabbit

I still think that melonrabbit has been making an effort to say as little as possible and stay out of the limelight. She sticks to short, one or two sentence posts as much as possible, and makes a lot of fluff posts when she actually posts. I don't think I have yet to see her actually go after someone aggressively yet, either.

She's been pretty vocal on putting me as SK. Which is pretty god damn bold if she is scum and doesn't really mesh with your laying low accusation.

SkyOdin

Well, since I might very well be lynched at the end of this day phase, I might as well get some of my thoughts on the game out in the open, so that they are not lost the void when I am eliminated.

Ah. Guessing we have a vigilante and a doctor
If we choose to toss aside Occam's razor, seeing as this is gafia after all, we could have a doctor and a SK, or less likely, a doctor and a vig.
Hmm, with the kill choice I was assuming doctor/vig, but I hadn't considered the probability of a doctor/cop/vig combo
L_P could be a vigi, considering the no vote and heat but no traction.

You'd think a vigi would kill the other person in a tight lynch result though.
This is a set of speculation I saw from the start of this day phase. I have meant to go back to it, but I've been busy with other topics. Why does everyone immediately discard the simplest explanation (that scum NKed LP), and instead jump to the conclusion that it was a vigilante or serial killer responsible? It isn't at all unusual for scum to target someone less likely to be protected by a doctor. Normally, I would be very surprised if we had a doctor block a NK on Night 1. Thus, if we had two killers, the only way we would have gotten one kill would be via one of two methods:
1) Both the scum and the serial killer/vigilante target the same target. I find this to be unlikely on the very basis that everyone agrees that Lone_Prodigy was an unlikely NK target in the first place.
2) The scum hit the serial killer, who had bulletproof.

If it is the latter, then the scum would know who the serial killer is. However, it would be in their interest to have town eliminate the serial killer, so that they don't have to waste a NK on the SK. However, they couldn't exactly just tell us who the serial killer is without giving their identities as scum away. So, they could have floated the idea that a serial killer was around in an attempt to get town to hunt said killer.

Now, I say that there is an 80% or more chance that we have no SK or vigilante. However, if we do have a serial killer, we will probably know (one way or the other) by the start of Day 3. If we do have one, I would look at the start of Day 2 with suspicion.

Ty4on

Hiya Sorian o/
You or Sophia currently most likely. Could also be someone who hasn't really been in the spotlight yet - Stan or Fireblend would be my "shot in the dark" guesses.
I've thought about Stan. Nothing worrying from his posts that I've seen though.
Fire I've said why I town read.

Sophia had quite a lot of friction with Hyper in D1 (early on, not long after she joined). What do you think of that?

Kawl_USC

Work is chaos right now and I keep getting interrupted. Will try and make it back for deadlime. I will emphasize that I get good vibes from Stan and believe him to your opposite, 1911.

I may be misreading this but isn't this the opposite of what melon was just saying a bit ago about stan?

I thought Stan and I were giving her the willies. But this seems to be saying different. Am I misremembering?

If you don't get the chance due to work today melon I'd appreciate circling back to this tomorrow.

Sorian

Banned
Working through just day 2 since I only have a little over an hour, I quoted more than I was expecting already so putting out one post, I'm also refreshing real time now as well. Also, I see we are playing peek-a-boo, I had a green check on ynnny N1.

Well that was a good night kill choice.

This was an odd reaction to have first thing. Sure, it's great from scum perspective because they got an investigative role N1 but as it was for pretty much everyone else at the start of the day L_P was a surprising kill. Assuming L_P played the same way he always does, I'm inclined to agree, even going for a meh no info kill, L_P ends up being very forgettable, he must have done something D1 to draw a kill.

I only moved from L_P to break the tie. When I switched back it was clear Hyper was going to be lynched without my help so I went back to where my gut feeling was. I was obviously wrong, but I generally think having all players on a single player at day end is less useful than having the votes be a bit more scattered.

This sounds like town Fire to me and that's really the only reason I quoted it. Scum Fire in NX, was bending backwards to make his votes look nice and crisp D1 and I doubt he just throws that away for some side vote when he could have at least gotten on for the easy bus.

Okay, I come back to a pile of accusations and votes on my head. To be honest I am not surprised after how Hyper flipped and the way I justified my vote. However, because of how many people are quoting me and asking me questions, please allow me to address the accusations in a general sense rather than one by one. It would turn into a mess if I tried to quote it all.

Now, on the first order of business: I was wrong. That's the key thrust of my defense; I misread Hyper and L_P.

In large part, I simply got overwhelmed by the speed of the thread in the last two hours of the day. Most of the main drive against Hyper happened in those two hours, and those two hours made up half of the posts from Day 1. I simply lost track of who had said what when. When it was coming down to the wire and I had to make my vote, I was desperately using the search function to find posts made by the four people who were tied towards the end there. I ended up rereading Hyper's posts, but I read them in a vacuum divorced from a lot of the context of the rest of the thread. I think I mentally mixed up Hyperactivity and Ty4on a little bit. So, I made a mistake. I am sorry.

When I reread the thread in detail during the Night phase, I could see a lot more clearly where Kawl was coming from. Reading the thread at a more leisurely pace helped me get my thoughts much more in order.

However, I have to dispute the narrative that I was "throwing shade at Kawl's plan". I was initially confused about the plan, but I would consider myself one of its biggest proponents in the thread. Hell, I helped resolve and address other people's concerns about the peek plan. For example, i helped solve Stanley's worries about the plan. I did have some reservations about the plan, but I figured that if we were going to do it, we might as well do it well. Hell, I had two minutes to post when the game started before i ahd to rush out the door, and I made sure to follow through on the plan as we agreed, even though Kawl had apparently decided it was pointless. Obviously it is not pointless, since we still might have a cop! We might even have two more! No need to give up hope on that front just yet.

On that note, I find it suspicious that there has been such a dedicated push being made for me when I said up front that I couldn't post for a few hours. That was a good time to put pressure on people who could actually respond and provide answers, but instead it feels like someone has been trying to snowball a case against me when I couldn't properly defend myself.

I had been reading cabot and Sophia as mostly town after my reread last night, but I did have a few reservations about their alignment because I thought there were some oddities in their focus and read-lists. Now I am getting more suspicious that one or the other is scum.

In any event, I rescind any previous comment about melon being anything less than scummy. After some review, melon has definitely been acting scummy. I think splinter is also on my current top scum list.

On the other hand, i can't imagine a scenario where a scum is the most active player in the game, puts forward an unfamiliar but solid town defense plan, and aggressively busses a fellow scum all on day one. That would be a BOLD scum gambit. So I think I will discard some of my initial reservations about Kawl and accept him as our town overlord. At least until MYLO.

tl;dr Excuses, melon seems to have the same too but her posts are so insubstantial that none really clicked to quote. I'm wondering if it's more likely for scum to over-explain their shortcomings or under explain it in this scenario.

Kawl is town until we get better evidence of a serial killer. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is scummy as fuck.

Kawl, is Splinter's pocket nice and cozy.

Just on that initial read I don't like cabot and I don't like Splinter. Where Kawl feels genuine and is theory crafting, cabot seems to be coming up with narratives and staying in the flow. Splinter just grates me in general so that's that.

Fire and Kawl are town as far as I'm concerned right now.

melon and Sky looked to be the vote leaders if I remember Fire's post right and they are both obviously succumbing to pressure.

Doing this for now since I'm such a unique snowflake while I catch up.

VOTE: cabot

Top Bottom