• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
i dont think it is that horrible... what i read in this thread was that it does fine, just doesnt let you play html5 videos or games...

They said they are still working on the browser, for what it's worth. At least, for sure they would add html5 support in some future update.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My (single)) battery test will be up in a couple hours.

Wait a fucking second. The Vita battery tops out at a couple hours?! FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

Holy shit! That's a disaster! The worst possible case scenario! That means that if a game is released, it will be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS!!! Truly tied to a charger cord, only forever!

Not to mention that us folk who live in Europe and need AC adapters for our special outlets and have US/JP Vitas!

How the hell does this not have it's own thread yet? That's an apocalyptic scenario!

Chittagong

Gold Member
It feels like a little ps3 in your hands. Some rough edges on launch games, and I'm not saying it can exactly duplicate ps3 games - it just feels like one. The added PSN integration helps a lot to make it feel fleshed out. Hell, cross game chat beats ps3 :)

Yep that's pretty much what I'm looking for. With PSP I soon realized how low poly, dithered, simplified, single stick everything was compared to PS2. So being more in the ballpark of a miniature PS3 experience is what I'm looking for.

I decided to dump Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 only for now as I got more store credit for them than I paid for them. I'll hang onto my 3DS for now, and unload Zelda and Pilotwings a bit later after more play. I think I will take the advice and keep my 3DS for now, since its only 80gbp in credit anyway, but I swear I'll get shat on by the dual stick revision eventually....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wait a fucking second. The Vita battery tops out at a couple hours?! FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

Holy shit! That's a disaster! The worst possible case scenario! That means that if a game is released, it will be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS!!! Truly tied to a charger cord, only forever!

Not to mention that us folk who live in Europe and need AC adapters for our special outlets and have US/JP Vitas!

How the hell does this not have it's own thread yet? That's an apocalyptic scenario!

Somewhere in the world, Nuclear Muffin is sitting in a corner shedding a tear.

Jonnyram

I love all the games I bought, but I am too addicted to MinGol to play anything else!
I have so far reached the rank of MinGol Samurai. Online competition is fierce too.

Bebpo

Banned
I love all the games I bought, but I am too addicted to MinGol to play anything else!
I have so far reached the rank of MinGol Samurai. Online competition is fierce too.

Nice!

Hope the game has region-free online so I can join you for some matches when it comes out in the US :)

:lol

x3sphere

Anyone know if you can play downloaded PSP games from the US store on a Vita? I know the US store isn't accessible yet from Vita - but what if you used your PS3 to transfer the game?

spwolf

They said they are still working on the browser, for what it's worth. At least, for sure they would add html5 support in some future update.

well you never know how that turns out, maybe tomorrow or maybe in 5 years :).
But so far what I read was that sites load fine, just no interactive content like flash or games/videos from html5... but other html5 features and jscript are supported.

you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIIYAenI4Mc&feature=related

ign and engadget load fine... they are a bit slow to scroll though, so it could definitively be optimized (my ipad also pauses if i fast scroll, but newer ones supposedly dont).

Jonnyram

Does Hot Shots Golf have vs online multiplayer or is it asynchronous multiplayer?
It has a bit of both.

Online tournaments (three a day), where you play your round and upload you scorecard, you can see your position so far after you finish, but that will change as more players take their rounds throughout the day.

Then there is the 30 player live tourney which I think you need to be on wi-fi for, as it's quite a speedy tourney.

Multiplayer async games where you're all on the same course at the same time will be patched into the game in 2012.

Well done lol

Gacha-pin

Can someone explain the PS3 transfering.

When I was watching the redsungamer feed; when they tried transfering stuff from the PS3, it said the content would be deleted from the ps3 afterwards. Is that true????

Major problem for me if thats the case. My PS3 held all my PSP games, and i would just transfer the ones i needed. >:|

Only Vita games and apps.

Mrbob

Awesome. The online component is putting Hot Shots near the top of my purchase wish list.

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Mobile Data (3G) ON (but is probably over-riden by...
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON
Headphones, volume at 50%

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Full to Death: 4:29
Warning notice came on at 4:11

It has a bit of both.

Online tournaments (three a day), where you play your round and upload you scorecard, you can see your position so far after you finish, but that will change as more players take their rounds throughout the day.

Then there is the 30 player live tourney which I think you need to be on wi-fi for, as it's quite a speedy tourney.

Multiplayer async games where you're all on the same course at the same time will be patched into the game in 2012.

Thanks. It looks like I will be getting this with Uncharted and Gravity Daze.
I can't wait for Feb. 22

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Wow that's pretty good. I mean, awful, but pretty good.

neptunes

If the iPhone/iPod is anything to go by I assume turning of "Near" will have a similar effect to turning off auto-updates and push on the iPhone.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

That sounds great.

However it will not please Muffin. You have to play UMvC3 online the entire time, brightness max, bluetooth on, volume max over speakers, talking to a friend over Party throughout the entire session, 6 apps backgrounded, including NEAR to insure GPS is on, have a friend spam you with notifications, and finally shake the Vita as hard as you can.

pramath

Banned
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

This is actually very, very good. 4 and a half hours at max settings is incredible, especially for a system as powerful as the Vita is.

ZoddGutts

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Not bad expected worse. Can you do a test on movies as well?

Grimmy

Banned
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Thanks a lot for doing this! Not bad at all - 4:30 on full power. Now am curious how long it'll last if it's not at full brightness and 3G/Wifi are not on.

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Wow, that's actually a step above acceptable. +1 for non-removable battery!

NateDrake

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Certainly by no means great, but good since it's PSP/3DS level of life. It's doable though still disappointing, but is exactly what Sony pitched as battery life for it.

on the 8-4 podcast, they were acting surprised by how quickly it charged

Isn't it 2hrs 40min from absolute zero?

FireCloud

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Thanks for doing the test. That doesn't sound bad. It is about what I expected. Glad you ran with the features that most would want to run with. If you can remember, please give us an idea for the battery life after you have completed several charge cycles. My smartphone's battery seemed to improve a little after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom