• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
iPad 3 betting pool.

Retina display: yes
1GB RAM: yes
Quad-core: no
128GB option: yes
3MP+ camera: yes
Home button: yes
Siri: no
haptic feedback: no
3D anything: no
Stylus/stylus option: no

Copy and paste it guys.

What's really interesting is that they decided to show the retina display in advance, ala "Oh that awesome display that has been rumored for over a year? That's in there too". I wonder what they still have up their sleeves(please be a stylus).

Also, is it only me or does it look like the display is laminated directly to the glass like in the Iphone 4 and 4s? That would be huge news for me, I love that it looks like the icons are floating on the glass on the Iphone.

That's actually a really good point. They already revealed on of their features and put emphasis on the touch part. This thing has to have something else to it and I really really hope that something is that haptic feedback Disney tech.

Will Have:
Retina display - 2048x1536
1GB RAM or more
3MP+ camera
Home button
Siri

Will Not:
Quad-core
128GB option
Haptic feedback
3D anything
Stylus/stylus option

Mine:

Retina display: YES
1GB RAM: YES
Quad-core: YES
128GB option: NO
3MP+ camera: YES
Home button: YES
Siri: YES
haptic feedback: NO
3D anything: NO
Stylus/stylus option: NO

Utako

Banned
Better yet, combine the haptic touchscreen from Disney Research or Senseg with Immersion's new HD Haptics where the entire device seems to provide localized and precise haptic feedback. Shake your phone like it's a maraca, and feel the beads move around individually. For bonus fun, add a painted wood texture to the image of the maraca itself.
You're right. This is definitely the future we're leading to. That's amazing!

iBook pages that you can feel while turning them. Cut the Rope ropes with actual give as you slice them.

It seems limited to finger dragging, however, and not taps. That's kind of a problem, but it is better than nothing.

I think you're severely overestimating the capabilities and precision of such a technology.
Braille symbols may be too fine and close together for this tech, but improving the v-pad and simulating texture appear to be well within grasp.

shira

Retina-ish display: yes
1GB RAM: no
128GB option: no
Siri: yes
Lowest price: $499

Cheebo

Banned
Does anyone at all realize that the iPad 3 screen has leaked? Multiple sites have got it and played around with it. It was exactly the same as the iPad 2 one except doubled resolution.

3MP+ camera: no
Stylus/stylus option: :lol
new improve smart cover: yes

new keyboard attachment: maybe

Sean

Banned
Siri would be terribly gimped on an iPad.

There's no clock app so there's no alarms/timers. Doesn't have a weather app so that's out too. No stocks, can't make phone calls, etc... Half the commands would be impossible.

numble

Does anyone at all realize that the iPad 3 screen has leaked? Multiple sites have got it and played around with it. It was exactly the same as the iPad 2 one except doubled resolution.

Apple doesn't do leaks. There's no such thing as an Apple rumor.

I honestly don't know how you haven't been banned yet. STFU

Why would I be banned? I'm expressing my own point of view, and I've yet to get angry or lash out at anyone I've debated this topic with. Can't say the same about others here, such as yourself.

My own predictions for the specs:

Retina display: no
Quad-core: maybe (tiered devices?)
3MP+ camera: no
Home button: no

How is Siri going to work on an iPad? Just doesn't seem right to me. iPads don't ship with headphones (as far as I recall, I've owned two of them) and there's no way I'd hold it up to my ear to talk to her.

How is Siri going to work on an iPad? Just doesn't seem right to me. iPads don't ship with headphones (as far as I recall, I've owned two of them) and there's no way I'd hold it up to my ear to talk to her.

Long press the hold button? That's how I do it on my iPhone. I turned off the hold to ear function.

mrkgoo

Since when do you have to hold up to your ear to talk? Even the iPhone doesn't demand that.

For example, who holds their iPad to talk using FaceTime?

Quick

Banned
Can't believe the Home button is even being debated as being there or not. Of course it won't!!

Retina display: Yes
1GB RAM: No
Quad-core: No
128GB option: No
3MP+ camera: Yes
Home button: Yes
Siri: Yes
haptic feedback: No
3D anything: No
Stylus/stylus option: Hell no

Since when do you have to hold up to your ear to talk? Even the iPhone doesn't demand that.

For example, who holds their iPad to talk using FaceTime?

I don't, but it'll ultimately depend on whether Apple includes the 2nd microphone to sample and remove background noise like they do on the iPhone 4 and 4S. There's a sizable difference in facetime audio quality output between my iPhone4 and iPad 2.

shira

Siri would be terribly gimped on an iPad.

There's no clock app so there's no alarms/timers. Doesn't have a weather app so that's out too. No stocks, can't make phone calls, etc... Half the commands would be impossible.

It's about time they added those apps.

rezuth

Apple doesn't do leaks. There's no such thing as an Apple rumor.

Apple does controlled leaks from time to time but yeah, they ain't going to leak products/components etc.

About the pool:

1GB+ RAM: yes
Quad-core: yes
iOS 5.1 comes standard: yes
iPhone apps: yes
Interacts with Apple TV: yes
New peripheral: yes
New smartcovers: yes
New color: no
Thicker: Yes
Better speakers: Yes
Two different iPads: Yes
New garageband: Yes
Price hike: Yes, if premium iPad is introduced

JCreasy

Link is broken for me. This one should work.

Better yet, combine the haptic touchscreen from Disney Research or Senseg with Immersion's new HD Haptics where the entire device seems to provide localized and precise haptic feedback. Shake your phone like it's a maraca, and feel the beads move around individually. For bonus fun, add a painted wood texture to the image of the maraca itself.

I really like the cut of your jib.

C'mon Apple, make it happen please!

No matter what I'll get the iPad 3, no problem.

I just can't let go that "touch" reference. GAH!

border

Throw me a number for a 64GB 3G iPad 1 :(

Gamestop/EBGames sells them for $380. So I wouldn't expect more than that.

Probably less since the kind of person buying a 2 generation old Apple product isn't going to care much about the extra storage space......not enough to pay a ton extra.

might as well, I'll copy rezuth's list here

1GB+ RAM: yes
iOS 5.1 comes standard: yes
iPhone apps: yes
Interacts with Apple TV: yes
New peripheral: yes
New smartcovers: yes
New color: no
Thicker: yes
Better speakers: no
Two different iPads: yes
New garageband: no
Price hike: no

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why would I be banned? I'm expressing my own point of view, and I've yet to get angry or lash out at anyone I've debated this topic with. Can't say the same about others here, such as yourself.

The problem is that you clearly don't understand what Retina means. At all. And you aren't listening to anyone who explains it to you and just holding your WRONG point of view.

When it comes to "is this Retina or not" there IS a right or wrong answer. And yours is wrong. That's all there is to it.

Again (and for the last time):

Above or on this line = Retina
Below it = Not Retina

NOTICE HOW VIEWING DISTANCE COMES INTO THE EQUATION!!!

20100712-gnp2xmug237adetiktunhchuew-1-670x488.jpg

mac-retina-displays-possible.gif

Retina from about 13 inches away from your face and on. Period, end of story.

Here's a snapshot from a document from Microsoft on how tablets are commonly used:

ScreenShot2012-02-28at95603PM.png

...I don't think it's crazy to say that in every single one of these use cases the iPad would be at least a foot away from the user's face.

Therefore, Retina. Therefore, you're wrong. Therefore, we keep giving you shit because you are incorrect and won't stop talking about it.

@RubxQub: Yes, and as I responded, going by that logic then the iPad 2 screen can likewise be called a Retina Display because its pixels becomes indistinguishable at a certain distance away from my eyes.

I took Jobs right as he said in his keynote - the PPI must be roughly ~300. That is the true definition of a Retina Display. All that graph does is move the goal posts and lowers everyone's standards for what the device should truly be.

KtSlime

I hope it is a haptic touch display, but before we all get worked up about it. Could it be that "And Touch." Could refer to an updated iPod Touch, which is due for an update.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I just want a god damn 7 inch iPad mini. Come on Apple listen to this singular man's cries for material bounties.

:(

No. This is a stupid idea. The iPad and iPhone sizes are fine for their given functionality, but I'm sure Samsung or some other Android device maker would be more than happy to sell you a 7 inch iPad.

The only thing I ask of Apple is DO NOT listen to tech nerd's stupid fucking requests and design a product that is good for everyone.

@RubxQub: Yes, and as I responded, going by that logic then the iPad 2 screen can likewise be called a Retina Display because its pixels becomes indistinguishable at a certain distance away from my eyes.

I took Jobs right as he said in his keynote - the PPI must be roughly ~300. That is the true definition of a Retina Display. All that graph does is move the goal posts and lowers everyone's standards for what the device should truly be.

Dude, you aren't holding the iPad 2 at like...5 feet from your face.

Typical viewing distance. Typical viewing distance.

RubxQub

You're hopeless. Watch this keynote and listen for what Steve says again...and notice how he mentions viewing distance.

If you think all devices should be held to that same viewing distance standard than you're absolutely crazy and unreasonable.

Utako

Banned
Yes, it is Retina, if you expect to use your iPad from over 2 feet away.

More Pixels = More Better for IQ, but when it comes to discerning individual pixels, that is where Retina comes into play.

Zeth

Yes, the iPad 2 IS "retina" if you hold it far enough away that you can't see the pixels. But you don't. At a normal distance you can see the pixels, and on the (supposed) new display you cannot. Therefore it can be considered "retina".

Tobor

Refrigerator is going to shit kittens when the next iPhone comes out with a larger screen, the same 960x640, and is still called Retina.

RubxQub

Refrigerator is going to shit kittens when the next iPhone comes out with a larger screen, the same 960x640, and is still called Retina.

You know I'm on the "Apple won't increase the screen size without increasing the resolution so they can still hold it to the same 300+ PPI standard that the iPhone 4 came out with" camp.

There will be all out war in the iPhone 5 threads!

Nay - I fully expect it with Cook in charge. I already wrote in the previously locked thread that this non-Retina Display in the iPad 3 would open the doors to having larger screens on the iPhone but with the same resolution. ~300 PPI is irrelevant now.

RubxQub - you know you want to join my side. Come. Come on over.

Long press the hold button? That's how I do it on my iPhone. I turned off the hold to ear function.

So you'll sit there in the office and hold down the home button, hear the 'bing' Siri noise and then loudly ask her to remind you about something?

Seems really obtrusive and uncomfortable to me. Siri is more about having a personal assistant with you wherever you are, and that's why she's magic on the iPhone. Just imagine all the people who will go to use her and not realise they didn't get the 3G version of the iPad - Siri would be gimped whenever you're away from a wireless hotspot.

Tobor

Nay - I fully expect it with Cook in charge. I already wrote in the previously locked thread that this non-Retina Display in the iPad 3 would open the doors to having larger screens on the iPhone but with the same resolution. ~300 PPI is irrelevant now.

I fully expected it with Jobs in charge. We've also known they've been working on 2048x1536 graphics and place headers for a long time. Jobs absolutely signed off on the iPad 3 screen development 2 years ago.

jts

...hate me...
This won't happen. A larger screen will have a larger resolution. There's no point in keeping the resolution unchanged because Apple will not want zoomed in interface elements.

RubxQub

When it comes to the iPhone I'm going to hold Apple to the 300 PPI standard that they set upon themselves in order for them to call it Retina and for me to accept it. If they fall under that line and still call it Retina...I'll join you on the battlefield.

If it falls under that line at 12 inches, I'm going to be a very unhappy Rubx.

border

Jobs says:

"It turns out that there is a magic number right around 300 pixels per inch that when you hold something around 10 or 12 inches away from your eyes is the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom