• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

jelly

Remember when they said the Trump transition team was careless with government documents that should only be viewed in certain locations and not be taking away. I do wonder....

Xe4

Banned
MSNBC: The source knew that leaking this information would confirm to Russia that certain channels are under surveillance, which will cause them to change their protocols, but thought the implications of not leaking this to the public was WORSE than losing active surveillance.
That's pretty lame actually. Leaks should not interfere with an active investigation.

Foffy

Banned
Welp

This absolutely explains why he didn't disclose communications with the Russians at all in the documents he had to file.

What excuse can he make here?

Tovarisc

Good, I'm glad we're finally on the real topic here...the leaker!

Ehhh... All that was mentioned was that leaker must have felt that getting this info out there was more important than possibly burning door into Russian communications. They didn't go after the leaker.

Ac30

That's pretty lame actually. Leaks should not interfere with an active investigation.

Yeah, seems odd to leak this - the FBI and Mueller are fully aware, so this seems to needlessly close surveillance channels...

Welp

This absolutely explains why he didn't disclose communications with the Russians at all in the documents he had to file.

He's not a politician, he's an outsider, so he didn't know he was supposed to file whatever. And more important WHO IS THE LEAKER!?!? Lock that person up not poor Jared

Historian on CNN pointing out that this act by Kushner would be alerting the Russians that the current channels were not secure from the IC.

Think about that.
Yeah, that's a good point. Of course, the Kremlin very likely knew that and suspected as much, but nonetheless so brazenly letting that slip is just nuts, so it's no surprise that they were apparently taken aback themselves by how stupid Kushner was being. Russia knew these guys were stupid, but not even they thought they were that stupid.

Syncytia

It's not interfering with their investigation necessarily. The people who confirmed this to WaPo thought it important enough to expose their surveillance of a line to Russia.

I think perhaps one scenario is that communications are routinely changed and however this was intercepted is no longer active or giving the IC anything.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
To the old addage "Where there's smoke, there's Fire!", shit needs to be written "Where there's smoke surrounding Trump, It's burned to ground, ashes lay waste!"

DAynSckUMAA9yJe.jpg

jelly

It makes you wonder what deep shit Trump, Kushner are in that would make them do things like this. Debt is highly possible, Kush has a billion dollar loan which might allude to him being on the edge of going under, we know many banks don't lend money to Trump anymore so is he in debt with Russian backers? Are they just trying to get richer getting into major corruption with Russian billionaires. Do the Russians have blackmail?

Ac30

It makes you wonder what deep shit Trump, Kushner are in that would make them do things like this. Debt is highly possible, Kush has a billion dollar loan which might allude to him being on the edge of going under, we know many banks don't lend money to Trump anymore so is he in debt with Russian backers? Are they just trying to get richer getting into major corruption with Russian billionaires. Do the Russians have blackmail?

They are dripping with blackmail

They'll trickle it out drop by drop

FyreWulff

Debt and pride

Russians offer to shore up Trump and his business. He keeps his ego, gets some markets opened up, Russians get someone that will soften stances that helps them, and with Trump and his "never say i messed up ever" attitude, he's all the way down to the bottom of the well with his white lie being built up into a monster

People keep saying it's the end of the line, but nothing will happen. Trump's supporters will find a way to ignore this in its entirety (even if they just call it fake news or a conspiracy against Trump), and Trump will keep on Trumpin'.

Xe4

Banned
It's not interfering with their investigation necessarily. The people who confirmed this to WaPo thought it important enough to expose their surveillance of a line to Russia.

I think perhaps one scenario is that communications are routinely changed and however this was intercepted is no longer active or giving the IC anything.
I don't know ow how often channels or not are changed. All I'm saying is if it interfered with the investigation at all that's lame, no matter how interesting the information is. The inveatigation is crucial, more important by far than the public knowledge of fuckery happening.

Hopefully Russia had already changed channels before this story went to print.

Boke1879

People keep saying it's the end of the line, but nothing will happen. Trump's supporters will find a way to ignore this in its entirety (even if they just call it fake news or a conspiracy against Trump), and Trump will keep on Trumpin'.

Dude we're well past what hardcore Trump supporters think or feel. They are a lost cause.

This goes way beyond them. How his supporters react have no bearing on how Kushner or Trump for that matter will be treated if they committed treason or broke the law.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

There ain't no line, we're taking baby steps along a fucking mobius strip.

Loxley

So, at this point either the Trump campaign colluded with Russia or they are the victims of the some of the most unbelievably unfortunate coincidences in the history of politics.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's the former.

You must be new in these topics.

This event joins all the other events and the picture grows more clear. It leads to further questions, which will have further answers. And at some point, the overall mosaic is in-arguable. The base can ignore each event if they like, and GOP and Fox will try to do that, but they don't realise that these bits of news don't pass when they stop getting discussed in the cycle, they go slot into their place in an overall and far more damning story.

Welp

He's, uh, just new to this job. He was just asking questions; he doesn't know how anything work. We all make mistakes, and he was just doing his best to learn on the job, which is really, really hard you know. It's, uh, if anything it's Obama's fault for not taking the time to teach them better. Blame Obama, not me.

Something like that.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
So, at this point either the Trump campaign colluded with Russia or they are the victims of the some of the most unbelievably unfortunate coincidences in the history of politics.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's the former.

The more you see, the more you realize they really didn't want to win. Because no one would care about these talks if they lost.

Syncytia

I don't know ow how often channels or not are changed. All I'm saying is if it interfered with the investigation, that's lame, no matter how interesting the information is. The inveatigation is crucial, more important by far than the public knowledge of fuckery happening.

Hopefully Russia had already changed channels before this story went to print.

I don't know how often they are changed either. But I feel like it's fairly safe to assume they do get changed...at least every now and then? Maybe the reason it took so long for this to be confirmed is because the line was still useful until recently? WaPo knew about this for months and it's taken this long to be confirmed, even with how much has been leaking?

I don't disagree with you, but I think a valid and convincing argument could be made that this channel didn't matter anymore. Maybe that's not true, I don't know.

Dude we're well past what hardcore Trump supporters think or feel. They are a lost cause.

This goes way beyond them. How his supporters react have no bearing on how Kushner or Trump for that matter will be treated if they committed treason or broke the law.

The GOP has the majority in congress and senate, right? For an impeachment to go through the GOP would have to play ball and I doubt they will. Even if Kushner gets removed, Trump would still be in power.
And even if Trump got thrown under the bus, Pence as president doesn't sound very appealing either.

Top Bottom