• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount Pushes ‘Cloverfield Movie’ Back to 2018

Link.

Paramount and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions have moved the science-fiction thriller “2017 Cloverfield Movie” back by more than three months to Feb. 2, 2018, from Oct. 27. The studio has also moved George Clooney’s “Suburbicon” forward a week from Nov. 3 to Oct. 27.

This is now the second delay for the “Cloverfield” threequel, which had been originally titled “God Particle,” after it was pushed back for the first time from its initial Feb. 24, 2017, date.

“The 2017 Cloverfield Movie,” which will most likely be retitled, will become the first title to launch on Feb. 2, just two days before the NFL’s 52nd Super Bowl.

The story, set in the near future, centers on a team of astronauts on a space station making a terrifying discovery that challenges all they know about the fabric of reality, all while desperately trying to fight for their survival.

Nigerian-American filmmaker Julius Onah is directing. David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl, and Chris O’Dowd are starring.

The studio and Bad Robot have been developing the project since 2012. It’s the third part of the Cloverfield universe, launched in 2008 with the secrecy-shrouded found-footage monster movie “Cloverfield.”

Paramount-based Abrams was also a producer on last year’s “10 Cloverfield Lane,” which opened in March with Dan Trachtenberg directing. Abrams called “10 Cloverfield Lane” a “spiritual successor” to the original “Cloverfield.”

SpaceWolf

Banned
As much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, I can't say I'm looking forward to this one just as much knowing full well it's probably going to have absolutely nothing to do with the original Cloverfield outside of its title.

Fool me once...

gamz

As much as I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, I can't say I'm looking forward to this one just as much knowing full well it's probably going to have absolutely nothing to do with the original Cloverfield outside of its title.

Fool me once...

Think of it as an anthology.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Smart move. The calendar is so crowded year round with releases. This probably would've gotten overshadowed by more traditional horror flicks in October. I think it'll do well nestled in Q1 2018.

Thewonandonly

Think of it as an anthology.
Yup and I fucking love what they have been doing. Exspecialky the rumored 4th one has to do with alternate ww2 or something and that's sounds awsome. There 2/2 in my book so as long as there good I don't give a fuck what they are. Good sci-if is hard to come but exspecialky on this budget :$

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact we still haven't got our goddamn Cloverfield sequel yet. I want to watch that strange ass monster eat some more camera wielding fools.

but that story is over.

gamz

Yup and I fucking love what they have been doing. Exspecialky the rumored 4th one has to do with alternate ww2 or something and that's sounds awsome. There 2/2 in my book so as long as there good I don't give a fuck what they are. Good sci-if is hard to come but exspecialky on this budget :$

Agreed. I'm all for giving lessor known filmmakers a chance to make movies and a real great chance at success based on the cloverfield marketing. It's all good in my book.

Gravidee

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact we still haven't got our goddamn Cloverfield sequel yet. I want to watch that strange ass monster eat some more camera wielding fools.

I believe it was said somewhere that the monster died from the final bombing attack at the end of the movie.

Shredderi

I loved 10 Cloverfield lane. It was great suspense from top to bottom with strong performances. I have come to love movies like these that aren't really long and don't have a lot of stuff in the beginning before the movie really gets going. They're the movies I find myself rewatching the most.

kunonabi

Didn't end up liking the first two movies that much but that's a solid enough cast for me to give it a shot.

Are there Slushos in space?

I would put money of the space station being owned by the same company that had the satellite fall in Cloverfield, which I think is the parent company to Slusho?

Also who wants to guess what they're gonna name it? The Cloverfield Particle?

The first two are related?

Yes, but not by characters. The current theory is each story in the Cloverfield Anthology is connected by the Slusho company. In Cloverfield they were doing drilling and satellite shit, in 10 Cloverfield Lane John Goodman worked for them.

xrnzaaas

As much as I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane I still can't fully accept that they went with the anthology idea instead of making a sequel of the original film. And don't tell me it's a closed story, many monster films were created from nothing or less than nothing. ;)

EGM1966

It ended on a literal cliffhanger.
Cloverfield? Seemed to end
with everyone involved including the creature dead
- that's not a cliff hanger. Not to be pedantic - well actually yes being pedantic a cliff hanger requires a character left in danger with their escape unresolved. That's not how Cloverfield (either of them) ended.

Anyway it's clearly an anthology angle at this point and really that's probably best. Neither film creates an actual narrative for continuation so much as a character focused series of vignettes that occur when shit involving "something" unspecified has gone south. That's a one trick angle unless you swap out the scenario each time which seems to be what they're doing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What I would like to see is the events of Cloverfield from a military viewpoint, though with emphasis on the aftermath. Regardless, I'm very excited for this upcoming film.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Cloverfield? Seemed to end
with everyone involved including the creature dead
- that's not a cliff hanger. Not to be pedantic - well actually yes being pedantic a cliff hanger requires a character left in danger with their escape unresolved. That's not how Cloverfield (either of them) ended.

Anyway it's clearly an anthology angle at this point and really that's probably best. Neither film creates an actual narrative for continuation so much as a character focused series of vignettes that occur when shit involving "something" unspecified has gone south. That's a one trick angle unless you swap out the scenario each time which seems to be what they're doing.

I understand and respect your points here, but does an after-credits scene in the original with the protagonist frantically whispering "It's still alive!" mean nothing in this crazy universe?

If they're starting the ARG already I wonder if the delay is a fake out? Maybe not but then again the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane did drop out of absolutely nowhere like a month and a half before the movie actually came out so I wouldn't put it past them.

I can totally see it being some type of fake out. Just catch people off guard.

worked really well for 10 Cloverfield Lane in terms of BO

Top Bottom