• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Garo - The Animation 01-12

Good stuff.
Very cool creature designs.
The chimera episode with that sick bullet hell attack was my highlight.

Eh, I like it in the manga well enough (I'm like half a year behind tho), but the anime isn't good enough to make want to rewatch all of that, which I couldn't say about the comedy stuff and the short serious arcs.
But if the new anime is comedy again... But then again if it's the same director as the previous two seasons..

I mean it won't be as great as the old Gintama which had a great comedy Director. However, it's still damn good and enjoyable and there isn't anything that can scratch that Gintama itch. I am just happy they are willing to even cover the entire source material especially when most series don't have this chance.

TUSR

Banned
CDCDiwe.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't believe there will be no more seasonal threads...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What I want is like a blind collab between BGBW and TUSR. They divide the thread between them, setting out certain necessary information, and then work on their own halves with no communication. At the end, they post it together for a Frankensteinian OP.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 34

Uh huh. Sure, why not. Well I'm all for a Yukari/Ciel episode. Those two have gotten the most development after all. So I'm presuming the fairy turned Yukari into a cat in order to handle the situation. And wow Yukari is sharp seeing the pattern after only one episode. Though I think Yukari just wanted to be called boss once in her life. Too bad we didn't get much of the cat in Yukari's body weirding everyone out, and them trying to figure out if something is wrong or if she's just in one of her moods. This! Means! War! With actual physical fighting. What show is this and what have they done to KiraKira? Hello Kitty Zero Requiem. That's a bold plan. Certainly an entertaining episode if nothing else. Time for more pair-up episodes, which this season has been solely lacking aside from its main couple.

Qurupeke

Digimon Adventure tri 18-21

I wonder why I'm still watching this. It seems there is an idea and certain themes they wanted to explore with this part, but the show clearly suffers because of its format. The same happened on the previous part, it's like they don't know how to "translate" their ideas on the anime and the final product ends up kind of incoherent thematically. Even the twist on the end felt rather weak when there's a dozen of plot devices that can reboot anything, so nothing is irreversible. And honestly, I'm really annoyed with the pacing of each part.

At least, the new digimon looked pretty cool, like out of Evangelion, though this isn't a first for the series.

Ascheroth

Appmon 52 (End)

Probably my second favorite Digimon show after Tamers.
There are a few things I did not like, like
- The voiceover during the Applink is shite, I wish there were more awesome insert songs, since the one insert song they do have completely rules
- Would have wanted more crazy/monstrous Appmon desings
- The Bootmon 'arc' at the end felt a bit too silly

But the characters, their interaction with each other and their Appmon were really good and the 'Appmon of the week' episodes were usually pretty creative and/or funny or just had nice character moments.
The 'main story' was also pretty engaging, with probably the most competent Digimon villain there has been. And it went some pretty dark places.
I loved Haru's character development.
Those episodes at the end were pure hype. I lost it when he put on the goggles.

Aiii

So not worth it
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters - 1

The evil messenger app Digimon was defeated by simply ignoring its spam.

The MC figured this out by using his power of Google searching.

This is good, this is very good.

So instead of stealing Pokémon Go like a good copycat, they turned it into an anime?

I approve, well done.

Digimon Tri: Why

It was right here, where things just broke completely for me. You know, that and it reminding us that Hikari is simply too pure, and had a pure incestous meltdown over her onii-chan.
no one else gave a shit about what happened

There was symbolism with Falldown mode only to create Evamon from Raguelmon. And there's too many factions at once to know where everyone stands given that Jesmon and Alphamon are back in the fray.

There's simply too much needless talking and moping around Meiko who only knows how to cry. There's still no 02 kids, and we're down to one movie left too (the final poster doesn't even have them), and some Dark Ocean shit with Maki-chan.

I should've taken as a sign when I remembered that September was the month for the new movie, and then forgot what week it was releasing.

NeonZ

Yami Shibai 5th season

This was a surprising recovery for a show that had been getting worse since the 2nd season. I'd need to rewatch the 1st season to compare this with it, but it was certainly better than any of the other ones.

It goes back to the 1st/2nd season style presentation, but the stories generally had stronger premise and landing than the ones from the 2nd season and mostly avoided the goofy monsters which dominated season 3. Season 4 had some neat story ideas, but they were completely ruined by the presentation focusing more on the narration, destroying the atmosphere, and some of the art styles used.

The final episode itself wasn't particularly great though, but it had a neat bookend sense to it like season 3's (although the finale itself wasn't as good), rather than just ending in random stories like season 1 and 2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom