• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well he said it was "a lovely visit" which kinda indicates he won't have that much screen time.

I think it's a pretty natural and logical way of connecting The Hobbit with LOTR by having old Bilbo telling the story to Frodo. I'd guess those scenes won't be that long (maybe excluding the first scene of the first movie and the last scene of the third movie).
Seems very evident now that the journey to Tol Eressëa will not be featured as a framing device in the trilogy. Makes sense though as it would kind of spoil The Lord of the Rings if you know that everything turns out fine. But would the general public even know any better without any context?

Tol Eressëa would mean nothing to the average moviegoer or even LOTR film fans with no knowledge of anything beyond the films.

Raptor

I'd have liked to see Del Toro's designs in the film but still he makes awful english-language films.

I think he's only an ideas man to be honest. Hellboy movies sucked ass. And Blade 2 was cool but it had nothing on the first film.

Blade 2 is better than the first IMO.

Better action, better villians, Blade kicked way more ass than in the first.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;41519876 said:
Think of it like Shakespeare for example. Many different adaptations all with their own unique style.

As for a reboot, expect one sooner. A clause states that WB must release a LOTR/Hobbit film(s) every ten years or else they relinquish the licence.

The Lord of the Rings readapted by 2022.

So if they get the license to The Children of Hurin for example and release a movie within ten years, do they still lose the LOTR/Hobbit license? I'm assuming so.

I'm guessing they could always make movies based on the appendices, but then of course much of the material would be made up.

I just don't see how they can release reboots within ten years. That's ridiculous.

Loxley

So if they get the license to The Children of Hurin for example and release a movie within ten years, do they still lose the LOTR/Hobbit license? I'm assuming so.

I'm guessing they could always make movies based on the appendices, but then of course much of the material would be made up.

I just don't see how they can release reboots within ten years. That's ridiculous.

One thing they could potentially do is explore the possibility of a television series on HBO/AMC. Heck I wouldn't mind seeing a new animated take on LotR, 3D or traditionally animated. If it were animated, you could probably include Tom Bombadill in there with no problem at all.

In fact, the "Standing Stones" scenes in Brave greatly reminded me of Fog in the Barrow-downs:

pixarbrave1622x360.jpg

Those scenes convinced me that a 3D animated take on Tolkien could be really cool. All that said, I would prefer not to see a new live-action take on LotR for a long time. Let Jackson's series simmer down for a bit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

It wouldn't be 10 years for The Lord of the Rings though. Twenty years will have passed by the time LOTR is rebooted. Twenty years is a long time in the film industry, who knows what new advances in film tech could be taken advantage of.

This pattern may well continue until LOTR/Hobbit enter the public domain. From that point on it will be a free-for-all.

Of course this is all speculative and WB/New Line could forfeit the licence allowing another film company the chance to take on the property. Very unlikely though. Why give up such a lucrative franchise? No, they'll milk it for all it's worth before it enters the public domain.

apana

Think of it like Shakespeare for example. Many different adaptations all with their own unique style.

As for a reboot, expect one sooner. A clause states that WB must release a LOTR/Hobbit film(s) every ten years or else they relinquish the licence.

Edmond Dantès;41533063 said:
It wouldn't be 10 years for The Lord of the Rings though. Twenty years will have passed by the time LOTR is rebooted. Twenty years is a long time in the film industry, who knows what new advances in film tech could be taken advantage of.

This pattern may well continue until LOTR/Hobbit enter the public domain. From that point on it will be a free-for-all.

Of course this is all speculative and WB/New Line could forfeit the licence allowing another film company the chance to take on the property. Very unlikely though. Why give up such a lucrative franchise? No, they'll milk it for all it's worth before it enters the public domain.

I think the public domain thing will be good if it results in people doing other things with the story. For example HBO or someone else might have the technology necessary to make it into a mini television series by that point. Or perhaps we could get an animated show. What would suck is if everyone tries to get their LOTR movie out as soon as the deadline is up. Anyways 2050 is a long time from now, but Hobbit will expire in 2032.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;41533063 said:

I think Loxley's idea of an animated film is much more realistic. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, since it would make for a much different experience.

Making another live-action trilogy after 20 years....I just don't think people will see the need for it. Maybe 30 years after, and that's pushing it. Rebooting the LOTR after 20 years would have been like remaking the original Star Wars trilogy in 1997.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I think the public domain thing will be good if it results in people doing other things with the story. For example HBO or someone else might have the technology necessary to make it into a mini television series by that point. Or perhaps we could get an animated show. What would suck is if everyone tries to get their LOTR movie out as soon as the deadline is up. Anyways 2050 is a long time from now, but Hobbit will expire in 2032.

I think Loxley's idea of an animated film is much more realistic. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, since it would make for a much different experience.

Making another live-action trilogy after 20 years....I just don't think people will see the need for it. Maybe 30 years after, and that's pushing it. Rebooting the LOTR after 20 years would have been like remaking the original Star Wars trilogy in 1997.
A Lord of the Rings series in the style of Game of Thrones would be lovely, but my heart leans towards The Silmarillion/Lost Tales as a TV series.

Too many people are assuming that Del Toro would've made a better movie than Jackson, but until we have him direct a Tolkien based movie, it's nothing more than "maybes" and "could've beens", but all in all, 100% uncertainty. For me, I thoroughly enjoyed LOTR Trilogy (blu-ray extended cut was great) and as a result am eagerly awaiting the Hobbit trilogy.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Benedict interview
Was it fun playing a villain?

Really, really good fun. It’s a great part and it’s really well written. I enjoyed the fights and the stunts, there’s lots of that and it really is proper action movie territory. I went off and did The Hobbit [doing motion-capture and voice work as dragon Smaug and the Necromancer] at the beginning of the job, so I literally came on set, established the look, did a day of filming and then f*cked off to New Zealand for two weeks before coming back. But it’s the stuff of dreams. I know it’s such a well-trodden, clichéd path, ‘Brit actor plays baddie in Hollywood’, but I channelled all of that and just really enjoyed it.
http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/benedict-cumberbatch

He has mentioned it many times now, so I think it's safe to say that The Necromancer will have dialogue.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;41550713 said:
Benedict interview

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/benedict-cumberbatch

He has mentioned it many times now, so I think it's safe to say that The Necromancer will have dialogue.

From the very first footage we got of Gandalf in Dol Guldur in the trailer, I immediately imagined the voice of the Necromancer taunting him or speaking to him in a manner similar to the way Frodo would here Sauron's voice in LotR. That combined with the Comic-Con footage description of
Gandalf apparently being chased by something
makes me feel like the whole 'investigating the Necromancer' sequence in the final film will be pretty suspenseful. Cumberbatch has a great voice (not unlike a young Christopher Lee, in fact), which makes me curious how they'll be deferring his voice from the Necromancer to Smaug.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
ibosOCYEoN0mBf.png

Nice to see an Elf Lord with a unique style to him.

Also, note how Saruman is sitting opposite to the rest of the White Council in the above pic.

m3k

that thing says frodo is bilbos cousin? i need to read the books but i thought it was his uncle... movie change?

Loxley

Thranduil looks great. I'm not too sure I dig the crown design, but man that's the father of Legolas if I've ever seen him. Lee Pace was such a great choice.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hmm. Ain't the White Council stuff at the second or third movie?
The White Council/Necromancer subplot will start in the first film and then be in the background from that point until it comes to the fore and climaxes in the third film.

I'm expecting it to go like this in terms of villains. A 'Lurtz' (he who killed Boromir) type character in the first film, Smaug in the second (reminiscent of Saruman in The Two Towers) and The Necromancer in the third. From the info we have so far it seems The Necromancer will have a connection to the Battle of the Five Armies, but not actively take part in it. That's where zombie
Azog
comes into play.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking on del Toro's monster design, I wonder if they used any of his Smaug design or if they scratched it and built it from the ground up.
If Thranduil is anything to go by (looks reminiscent to the Hellboy 2 elves) then I'm sure Smaug will have some Guillermo design influences.

Altazor

yesterday I went to the "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - In Concert" (it's essentially a showing of FOTR with live music) show here in Santiago and I have to say it's one of the most magical and beautiful experiences I've ever had, and it only goes to show how incredible the OSTs are.

I teared up A LOT. And gosh, this section was absolutely sublime live.

Loxley

yesterday I went to the "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - In Concert" (it's essentially a showing of FOTR with live music) show here in Santiago and I have to say it's one of the most magical and beautiful experiences I've ever had, and it only goes to show how incredible the OSTs are.

I teared up A LOT. And gosh, this section was absolutely sublime live.

I'm jealous, hearing the score performed live is one of the things I desperately want to experience. Until then, the internet will have to suffice :)

Loxley

I really wish it was larger, but Ian McKellen just added this to his Facebook page:

30843010151054492983601.jpg

Could be a potential indicator of which dwarves will have the most emphasis in the first film. That said, I have to think that by the time all three movies are said and done, each dwarf will have gotten his fair-share of prominence in some way.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The dwarves in this film are masterfully designed (the entire trilogy has always had brilliant art direction), but some of the short/non-beards *still* bother me.

I realize how utterly nerdy it is, but I just can't help it. I've never been the "purist" guy who got up in arms about every little change (never batted an eye at losing Tom Bombadil, for example) but messing with Dwarven beards... it's like having tall Hobbits :(

I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but I just wish I could get over it!

ascii42

The dwarves in this film are masterfully designed (the entire trilogy has always had brilliant art direction), but some of the short/non-beards *still* bother me.

I realize how utterly nerdy it is, but I just can't help it. I've never been the "purist" guy who got up in arms about every little change (never batted an eye at losing Tom Bombadil, for example) but messing with Dwarven beards... it's like having tall Hobbits :(

I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but I just wish I could get over it!

Well, LotR had thin hobbits...

Curufinwe

Who gets control of film rights to The Silmarillion when Christopher Tolkien dies?

I would imagine if the book is any indication, after Thorin, Balin would be the dwarf getting the most attention. After that Bombur, for comic relief, then the young dwarves, Fili and Kili and after that it kind of falls off a cliff, I think.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Who gets control of film rights to The Silmarillion when Christopher Tolkien dies?

He's the current executor of the Estate, after him Priscilla Tolkien will presumably take that position. She's the only daughter of J.R.R Tolkien. After her Christopher's eldest son, Simon Tolkien.

J.R.R Tolkien's eldest son (John) and second son (Michael) died many years ago.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I would imagine if the book is any indication, after Thorin, Balin would be the dwarf getting the most attention. After that Bombur, for comic relief, then the young dwarves, Fili and Kili and after that it kind of falls off a cliff, I think.
I think Kili and Fili will elevated somewhat and second only to Thorin considering the family connection and the
their demise at the end, it'll be a far more sorrowful ending if the audience have a deeper connection to the aforementioned dwarves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom