• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I gotta ask but Sony and Samsung's latest cellphones all come with an ir blaster.... Stuff we've seen in the wii u... Doesn't that make the wii U EVEN more irrelevant now that cellphones like the s4 has software and hardware that basically does the same thing(Nintendo TVii/ir blaster on remote) on your cellphones?

I think this is a pretty sweet upgrade. Probably a bigger upgrade than the S2>S3 imo. I mean how did samsung get all that while still managing to be lighter/slimmer than the S3.
Are these the thinnest bezels on any phone?

No.

xperiazl.jpg

fuenf

Nice phone, but I don't see what it offers for GS3 owners. Also a six week wait, a reprieve for HTC if ever there was one.

It doesnt have to offer anything to the GS3 owners, why would anyone buy a new phone after just one year of using it anyway (and still being in the update cycle). It's the phone Samsung wants the millions of Galaxy S2 owners to upgrade to.

But the softkeys are taking away screen real estate on that one ;)

Cipherr

Not to shit on this phone, but why would anyone want it over the HTC One?

Micro SD, Possibly better camera, carrier availability, screen size+type, and software (Sense versus Touchwiz).

Not to be captain obvious, but this thing is going to slay the HTC One several times over, even among people that see them side by side.

not worth upgrading from S3.

But it is worth it from the S2.

They also announced the Note 2 and the Galaxy S3 will get all the software stuff they showed via software updates unless its hardware based.

Dali

Looks just like the s3. I guess this is samsungs iphone 5. Boring design with hardware upgrades. I wad afraid id regret my s3 purchase in january even though its plenty fast for me and exceeds all exoectations I had. Nope. Im good.

nib95

Banned
My post from the other thread.

nib95 said:
Cheesy as hell but enjoyed it. Had it running on the big screen and my wife, sister, cousins etc were all paying attention. No one switched off, which makes me think this theatrical style of presentation is more accessible than the norm.

Well played Samsung. Smashing features, fun show (albeit over the top) and understated but nice design. I'm sold. Day one for me.

I love the dual camera video, translator, background video remover, the still gif type 100 action shot stitch etc etc. Samsung is very much leading the way on the software front.

"if it looks the same how will people know i upgraded?"

the dual video calls looked pretty cool but aside from that its a pretty safe upgrade from the 3. from the video previews the air touch thing didnt seem to work well either.

Yjynx

more or less the same as GS3 design....

I'll decide between Xperia Z, Zl and HTC one or perhaps waiting the other Sony flagship this year then.

Busty

Banned
I assume that this is going to be a boon to people like me who aren't interested in the current smart phone tech cold wars at all and just want slightly older model phones for a cheap price.

Hopefully the price of the Galaxy 3's will plummet (either new or second hand) and I can pick one up for buttons.

A friend of mine got an Xperia T for a great price because all the 'Sony hardcore' are moving onto the Xperia Z.

Ahhhh phones.

8 fucking cores. in a phone.

I can handle 2 fucking cores and then I eat to eat a sandwich or have a ten minute rest.

But 8?!

javac

Pretty boring refresh. All eyes on Note3 and a Note Mini if they dare!

Not really, improved front and rear camera, much better CPU/GPU, double the ram, much more robust software features, and much more in a slimmer more refined package. This is a bigger jump then say the 3G to 3GS or the 4 to the 4S and the design improvements are bigger then the jump from 4S to 5.

Also that 1080p screen and octacore.

Micro SD, Possibly better camera, carrier availability, screen size+type, and software (Sense versus Touchwiz).

Not to be captain obvious, but this thing is going to slay the HTC One several times over, even among people that see them side by side.

Micro SD and battery are possibly the only advantages to me (I'll admit these make or break a phone to some) but...
Camera may or may not be better.
One is coming to Verizon, T-Mo, and AT&T.
5 inches may be too big for some (that's what she said)
Sense vs Touchwiz is debatable.

SpecX

Will Verizon get this out in a timely manner or will they be late again like with the S3? Also, are they going to add the horrible branding to the front button again like the Note 2?

I got an S3 for 50 bucks and I'm happy with it. Its my first smartphone so I dont know any different anyways.

High five.

I don't get smart phones the way some around here seem to. I have an S2 that's perfectly overkill for me, just wish it had more storage because I'm killing it since it has all but replaced my iPod. I didn't even realize I was buying an S2 when I got it, didn't even know what an S2 was. It was the Epic 4G Touch from Sprint on the box.

But something like this will probably be my next phone whenever I upgrade, which I'm not eligible to do until November anyway.

giga

anandtech said:
The Exynos 5 Octa side is a bit more interesting. Samsung is calling the SoC a 1.6GHz Octa-core part, but that appears to be the clock speed for the four Cortex A7 cores. The four Cortex A15 cores will run at up to 1.2GHz, which should help keep power consumption manageable. We’ve been wondering for a while what clock speeds we’d see the Cortex A15s run at in smartphones, and I believe this is the first line drawn in the sand. If we go back to Samsung’s ISSCC disclosure of Exynos 5 Octa power consumption, it looks like peak CPU power consumption should be somewhere around 2W - definitely better than what we saw from Exynos 5 Dual in the Nexus 10. Again, no surprises here given that we’re talking about a smartphone - it’s just interesting to see.
So the A15 had to be downclocked to 1.2ghz. Curious how it compares to the Krait at 1.9ghz.

Samsung is doomed without Steve Jobs.

LOL

I'm waiting for Google Glass though. Nice specs on the S4 (specially the battery) but it's not worth it if you already own a smartphone >= than an S2. Nothing is demanding enough to make this worth it. Cool phone though.

Biff

It's a nice phone, but there's zero need for me to upgrade from S3.

It's pretty clear that upgrade paths for original S1 owners should most logically be every odd revision, whereas S2 owners should be every even revision.

In terms of technological jumps, S1 to S3 > S2 to S4, but they're pretty damn close in my opinion.

Cipherr

Micro SD and battery are possibly the only advantages to me (I'll admit these make or break a phone to some) but...

Its all debatable. You asked why would anyone choose one over the other... I mean, of course its all going to be subjective. And there are alot more carriers in the world than ATT T-MO and AT&T man. The worlds bigger than just the U.S. Availability is a pretty big deal.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not really, improved front and rear camera, much better CPU/GPU, double the ram, much more robust software features, and much more in a slimmer more refined package. This is a bigger jump then say the 3G to 3GS or the 4 to the 4S and the design improvements are bigger then the jump from 4S to 5.

Also that 1080p screen and octacore.

Yeah, certainly not saying its not a good device and clearly outpacing Apples own refresh route. But I'm a new new new tech hound though, so spec boosts never really do it for me. Note2 with a AMOLED and mini-fucking wacom blows my mind, and its gonna take Tactus tech to probably impress me in the mobile space again.

javac

I've still got the original Galaxy S i9000, but I might wait another year due to buying too many gadgets this year already lol.

fuenf

overall the GS4 is smaller than the One.

Its all debatable. You asked why would anyone choose one over the other... I mean, of course its all going to be subjective. And there are alot more carriers in the world than ATT T-MO and AT&T man. The worlds bigger than just the U.S.

Yup, that's true

overall the GS4 is smaller than the One.

I thought about it again and realized that my point didn't make sense, since people are going crazy over the Note.

Hmmm end of April I think I'll wait to see if the Xperia Z comes out on Sprint even if I have to wait till June, never liked the design of the phone.

Coolwhip

Banned
We are at the point smartphones are basically 'done'. You can add some nice features but I think most people wont get all giddy about it anymore.

javac

Yeah, certainly not saying its not a good device and clearly outpacing Apples own refresh route. But I'm a new new new tech hound though, so spec boosts never really do it for me. Note2 with a AMOLED and mini-fucking wacom blows my mind, and its gonna take Tactus tech to probably impress me in the mobile space again.

Yeah I hear you, the Note line has always looked scrumptious to me, a little big, but very nice. I guess it can be confusing hearing people act like this is galaxy S3.5 when its a big enough jump to earn it's place as the successor. But wanting to wait for the note also make sense for some people such as your self.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm honestly surprised some people are saying this is the iphone 5 of the Galaxy line.

I mean, were you in a coma during the god-awful presentation? The software improvements are...mind-boggling!

fuenf

I'm honestly surprised some people are saying this is the iphone 5 of the Galaxy line.

I mean, were you in a coma during the god-awful presentation? The software improvements are...mind-boggling!

If Apple had shown the same features people would be going crazy right now ;)

man the One is a big phone, for a 4.7" screen

well the S4 is unusually small for a 5" screen.

javac

what gadgets did you buy that took precedence over upgrading a smartphone lol

Bought a laptop recently, and decided to get a tablet instead of getting a new phone. Add in a 3DS XL and a vita, Wii U and games to go with them... And yeah lol :(

I can live with the S1 for another year. I love having the latest tech, but my tablet has relegated my phone anyways. Never use it.

They had a presentation? For a phone?

I'm out of touch.

Um, talking Apple or Samsung here? Because I know Apple does crazy stuff like that, but I figured it was just them.

Top Bottom