• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

artist

Banned
samsunggs4-engm3sjj.jpg

Galaxy S4 vs Galaxy S3
13mq35.png

Comparison with iPhone 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Nexus 4, Lumia 920; http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/6927/6116/6863/6814/6274/6082

Launch: 327 carriers in 155 countries, starting at the end of April

Hands on:
Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-galaxy-s-4-preview/
PhoneArena: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S-IV-hands-on_id40834
TrustedReviews: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-s4_Mobile-Phone_review
Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5990644/samsung-galaxy-s-iv-hands-on-everything-new-is-old-again
SlashGear: http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-4-hands-on-14273962/
TheVerge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/4104650/samsung-galaxy-s4-announced-upgrade

Leucrota

Not impressed. Just a bunch of add on software I would never use.

All I really would have wanted is an S3 with stock Android, larger battery, 1080p screen, and more horsepower. Did not want more bloatware.

Edit: Why not just go quadcore with a big battery? There is NO point to octocore in the consumer market place besides tech pissing contests, whereas having a large battery would be noticeable to anyone who buys the handset.

methodman

Banned
is there gonna be like a mini version? i love my regular s3, but my girl wants a smaller version s4 i dunno if they have such a thing

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I really like that it has a better screen/resolution, camera, and battery.. but still, I think the S3 is good enough for me. I really wanted it to have a better design, though..

Mudkips

Banned
Not impressed. Just a bunch of add on software I would never use.

All I really would have wanted is an S3 with stock Android, larger battery, 1080p screen, and more horsepower. Did not want more bloatware.

Root it and install a stock Android ROM? It's pretty much a guarantee that a ROM that works on the S4 and easy instructions will be available on XDA before you can get your hands on the phone.

I own an S3 and this looks just like it to the uninitiated, so I guess I can pretend to stay relevant for another year. Like those jerks who buy a non-Kompressor Mercerdes and attach a Kompressor badge to it.

Looks like a Galaxy S3s, but that is still loads better than my Galaxy S 2 with craptacular ICS update.

I like the look of the HTC One better, but no SD card is kind of a killer. I shall purchase this at a later date (assuming that it is $200).

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't know if it's for me, but I like the screen.

I feel like if the Google X phone doesn't have OLED, I'll get this guy. I need that contrast ratio, I can't work without it.

wrowa

Both Apple and Samsung are terribly boring right now. The market needs new substantial innovations -- but I'm not sure if anyone is able to find something that's left to improve.

More horsepower is always nice to have, but the always increasing resolutions and screen sizes strike me as a little silly by now. It's like they don't know what else to do, so they just try to follow the "bigger and better" route.

God, I really hope Apple is showing something else this year than just an improved iPhone 5. Or a conpletely overhauled iOS would be nice at least...

artist

Banned
Both Apple and Samsung are terribly boring right now. The market needs new substantial innovations -- but I'm not sure if anyone is able to find something that's left to improve.

More horsepower is always nice to have, but the always increasing resolutions and screen sizes strike me as a little silly by now. It's like they don't know what else to do, so they just try to follow the "bigger and better" route.

God, I really hope Apple is showing something else this year than just an improved iPhone 5. Or a conpletely overhauled iOS would be nice at least...
Google Phone.

Blearth

Banned

No it wouldn't.

Change for the sake of change doesn't help anyone.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Battery life improvements pleeeassseeee.

Lo-Volt

I'm beginning to feel the same deja vu about Samsung mobile products that others might about Apple's iDevices, and I was hoping the company would be more aggressive about its design. Samsung's other products are far more interesting than they used to be, and yet their phones elicit a yawn from me (and apparently a lot of others around here). But the phone sounds vastly improved under that anonymous skin compared to its immediate predecessor (the screen density alone), and it's well-supported here in the U.S. from the big carriers, so there's no way customers won't consider the S4 when it's time to replace their old device.

Groof

What this gets me excited about is to see what they'll be doing with the Note 3. If they managed to slap on a 1080p 5" display on a phone roughly the same size as the S3, then hopefully they can do something similar with the next Note. I'm imagining 6" with the same physical footprint as the Note 2.
Though they really need to do something about that Fisher Price plastic.

Timbuktu

Wouldn't bet on it. Feels like Glass, or watch or other wearable tech might be when there would be something new. But phones aren't moving anywhere fast anymore. maybe HTC, sony and others can grt more into ther game hopefully, but now both samsung and apple are pretty comfortable with the same strategy.

Loofy

I think this is a pretty sweet upgrade. Probably a bigger upgrade than the S2>S3 imo. I mean how did samsung get all that while still managing to be lighter/slimmer than the S3.
Are these the thinnest bezels on any phone?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I like the edges a little more on the S3

Phone that wowed me the most in recent months is definitely the xperia Z, it had everything improved and then some new things added. I dunno how solid the water resistance is in practice but using a smartphone in my shower is instant win

Darkkn

Samsung seems to be copying Apple in terms of coasting on last years success :/

I'll wait for the next Nexus device.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pretty boring refresh. All eyes on Note3 and a Note Mini if they dare!

kinggroin

Banned
Features that made me do a double take off my Nexus. Bravo Samsung.

but, eight cores and it ran worse than the Nexus 4? Da. Fuq.

Top Bottom