• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona

Romney 42
Obama 40

Ladies and germs, your toss-up state of 2012.

Speaking of toss-up states, Minnesota - is not one, but that won't stop me from enjoying a nice bowl of schadenfreude.

ST. PAUL, Minn.—Minnesota's debt-plagued Republican Party faces an eviction hearing next week for its party headquarters after failing to pay its rent payments since August.

The party's landlord filed the notice Wednesday in Ramsey County housing court and a hearing is set for next Tuesday. Minnesota Republican Party Chairman Pat Shortridge told party members in a memo Thursday that officials are trying to renegotiate its lease.
What's that? The party of fiscal responsibility and honest government hasn't been paying the rent? For the last eight months? I'm shocked.
I'm not shocked.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ehh? He didn't say, "I am not going to promise to lower interest rates." Like I have said, there is a lot to criticize him about flip-flops, but simply equating not giving out money with lowering interest rates is reaching. There is plenty to call him out on, but this is pretty petty and stupid.

But this student loan modification thing also costs the government monies.

Oblivion

While presiding over a criminal case a few years ago — a prosecution for operating an automobile without documentation of lawful presence in the United States — I asked the arresting officer what, exactly, caused him to suspect that the defendant was not a legal U.S. resident. “Because,” the officer said, Louisiana’s immigration statute passed in 2002 “relates to someone in the country illegally.”

I posed my question a different way: “Well, how would you know, again, that a white driver, a black driver, Asian driver, Indian driver, someone from the Middle East, are illegal aliens for you to even ask that question?”

He responded, “I don’t know, I guess.”

I pressed further: “Well, what makes you ask a Latino driver whether or not he is an illegal alien?”

The officer’s reply was revealing: “Nothing. I don’t have an answer for that.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...gration-laws/2012/04/22/gIQA1UGjaT_story.html

Jackson50

If Romney continues to support Obama's initiatives, I don't think that will end up being an impressive campaign. I do wonder, when pressed for an answer during a debate, where will he explain how his tax cuts will be funded. What programs will be cut? Where will the savings come from? You may see this as impressive, but he is only going to box himself in eventually.
Additionally, how is he going to account for his pledge to substantially increase defense spending to 4% of GDP? Altogether, his laughable tax reform scheme, nebulous spending cuts, and exorbitant increases in defense spending produce a massive crater in the deficit. I don't think this is what Empty Vessel had in mind.
The media likes shiny things, nothing new.

Rubio To Deliver ‘Major’ Foreign Policy Address Wednesday
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...eliver-major-foreign-policy-address-wednesday

annnd here we go
I'd wager on it being banal and trite with numerous platitudes interspersed. American exceptionalism is unparalleled. We're the indispensable nation. We need to lead the pack, not follow. I could continue, but we know how stunningly facile it'll prove.

RDreamer

To me it was the rest of the quote that pissed me off:

It would be popular for me to stand up and say I’m going to give you government money to pay for your college, but I’m not going to promise that. Don’t just go to one that has the highest price. Go to one that has a little lower price where you can get a good education. And hopefully you’ll find that. And don’t expect the government to forgive the debt that you take on.

No, fuck you Romney. After that comment I'm not going to believe a goddamned word you say about student loans. I take that whole answer to be a direct, almost personal jab.

Oblivion

I refuse to believe or support that.

Look, "broham". This student loan extension would cost the government $6 billion. That's $6 billion in revenue the government is losing if they pass the extension. In terms of revenues, what exactly is the difference between that and the government giving away $6 billion in grants or scholarships or whatever? The bottom line is the same.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Look, "broham". This student loan extension would cost the government $6 billion. That's $6 billion in revenue the government is losing if they pass the extension. In terms of revenues, what exactly is the difference between that and the government giving away $6 billion in grants or scholarships or whatever? The bottom line is the same.

It matters to the end recipient.

Unless by lowering the rate of interest the government would also be paying out more in student loans (without also requiring payback on such loans...also known as a grant), they are not the same thing.

The effect on the government is the same, but to the student it is completely different.

Oblivion

It matters to the end recipient.

Unless by lowering the rate of interest the government would also be paying out more in student loans (without also requiring payback on such loans...also known as a grant), they are not the same thing.

The effect on the government is the same, but to the student it is completely different.

There must have been a miscommunication somewhere cause I don't disagree with anything you said here.

SO WHY ARE YOU ARGUING WITH ME?!!!

:p

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There must have been a miscommunication somewhere cause I don't disagree with anything you said here.

SO WHY ARE YOU ARGUING WITH ME?!!!

:p

I DONT KNOW!!!!!

:)

This damn thread is too friendly without constant invasion of stupidity from the likes of A27 and such. :(

Chumly

And the problem here is the Media will never mention this. They will just report, "Romney said he supports lowering interest rates"

End of Story.

Republicans have the entire media in their pocket because the moment they ask a reasonable tough question or call out easily proved bullshit they are crazy liberal media.

Republicans have the entire media in their pocket because the moment they ask a reasonable tough question or call out easily proved bullshit they are crazy liberal media.

Are we just ignoring 07/08 when Obama skated through the primaries as the media savaged Hillary, and later when Obama received dominating coverage over McCain in the general? Cry me a river

Chumly

Are we just ignoring 07/08 when Obama skated through the primaries as the media savaged Hillary, and later when Obama received dominating coverage over McCain in the general? Cry me a river

????????? That didn't address a single thing I said. How the media treated Obama and Hillary (two democrats) 4 years ago in no way makes how they are acting now ok. Dominating coverage doesn't address it either. Obama answered plenty of questions with substance 4 years ago. Something that seems to be absent from this election.

GhaleonEB

Ignoring the fact that your post has nothing to do with his: that's a very interesting version of events.

thefit

????????? That didn't address a single thing I said. How the media treated Obama and Hillary (two democrats) 4 years ago in no way makes how they are acting now ok. Dominating coverage doesn't address it either. Obama answered plenty of questions with substance 4 years ago. Something that seems to be absent from this election.

This time last election Hillary and Obama were still fighting for the nom, he's the incumbent with no competition the questions will come after the conventions and during the debates.

markatisu

And the problem here is the Media will never mention this. They will just report, "Romney said he supports lowering interest rates"

End of Story.

That does not keep their stories going, if they actually reported on him then the next few months would not be fun for them.

That is why the debates are going to be interesting, Romney stinks at debating when he is cornered. Obama's team has been on him daily when he makes a flip flop or contradiction, he is going to bring those up in the process of the debates.

Then the media won't be able to do anything because the American people will see it for themselves.

Well this sucks . . . I guess we just have months of sniping back & forth to look forward to. Then the pageantry of the meaningless conventions. And then a brutal air war of negative ads until the election.

Well, at least the debates should be a little interesting but not much. A battle of the cautious dudes.

PuppyLove.jpg

I'm convinced that repubs like Romney don't give a fuck about most of america.

It's all about the global economy (that's their playing field), military and relations (absolutely necessary) and those who can aid business on the global scene.

Romney for example is that guy. He just doesn't care, that's why he's able to look at everyone so soulessly. This guy goes to companies and lays people off like they are trash all so he can make some money.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm convinced that repubs like Romney don't give a fuck about most of america.

It's all about the global economy (that's their playing field), military and relations (absolutely necessary) and those who can aid business on the global scene.

Romney for example is that guy. He just doesn't care, that's why he's able to look at everyone so soulessly. This guy goes to companies and lays people off like they are trash all so he can make some money.

I honestly don't think Romney thinks of unnecessary workers as trash. That is some evil Robber Baron nonsense that has no place in this election. This election should be about 400k deportations of the federal government over the last 4 years, Romney's backing of a Ryan budget that would gut medicare and social security (you know, the most successful programs the government has done with limited resources), his equal crappy stance on immigration (and even worse so over Obama), his pleading for even lower taxes and further increasing the budget and strength of the military (the two do not go hand in hand), unemployment, deficits (sorry, EV, but this is a big topic for the federal government, for reasons you disagree or agree with), future SCOTUS appointments on the line, and so on and so forth.

If we make Romney out to be some sort of evil dude that laughs at the destitute ex-employee of a company he has pleasurably gutted, that is as bad as Swift-Boaters, Obama-is-a-Kenyan-Islamo-Fascist-Communist, and other vitriol-fueled groups. The issues at hand are that one person is a bit weak doing anything, and the other proposes policies that will do nothing good for the country, whether in the short term or long run.

Off-topic - does anyone have that link that shows how much of Social Security and Medicare's budgets go to the recipients versus administrative costs? It was something ridiculously high, like only 1% of the budgets were for admin. I would appreciate it. Gotta go unleash some truth on people spouting nonsense.

GManDH

Does anyone know what countries are trying to pass acts/laws similar to that of SOPA? What are the terms and is there a chance that they will actually pass in their country? I tried looking in Google and Wikipedia.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Yeah, if only the media had told me about Sarah Palin, McCain's running mate. But no, she was doomed to obscurity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom