• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

closer013

Why? I'm genuinely curious.

We watch toku to have fun. We don't need a perfect translation to see the plot and mood do match between the video and the subs. We both enjoy the stylistic subs that we feel add to the presentation instead of taking away. Yes, they make mistakes and stupid ones at that, but we enjoy them for what they are, FREE files for a shows aimed at children and pre-teens.

If hating TV-Nihon is cool, DON'T call us Miles Davis.

WillyFive

We watch toku to have fun. We don't need a perfect translation to see the plot and mood do match between the video and the subs. We both enjoy the stylistic subs that we feel add to the presentation instead of taking away. Yes, they make mistakes and stupid ones at that, but we enjoy them for what they are, FREE files for a shows aimed at children and pre-teens.

That's all good and all, but you could be having more fun if you watched subs that translated everything as opposed to leaving a lot of things untranslated, that made an attempt to translate a joke as opposed to trying to explain it in the upper part of the screen while the show is still going on, and they still happen to be free.

Jeffrey

man i want to get back to toku but for some reason it feels like the encoding overtime and other subs use these days are really bad. action and effect scenes are a mess to watch.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Can you not? At least put effort in your shitpost instead of recycling something from year 2010.

closer013

Can you not? At least put effort in your shitpost instead of recycling something from year 2010.

WOW, rude! I just wanted to post that there are some that like TV-Nihon. It wasn't a shit post. Just adding to an otherwise lopsided conversation.
Also, a differing opinion a shitpost does not make...
What's from 2010?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Was it some "Dattebayo" weeaboo situation with TVN?

Not was, is. They're a relic of mentalities older than a decade ago where people with terrible typographic tastes, low technical know-how and most importantly poor linguistic skills were the blind leading the blind into the world of Japanese entertainment media. Nothing has changed since then and it gets more curious by the year. You don't have to go far, their copy of Kyuranger episode 1 is a perfect representation of everything they are. Have you seen Otaking's video on fansubs? That old one? That's them. In the current year.

Pluto

Let's complain about O-T for a change:

I'm not happy about some of their choices for Kyuranger.

1. Translating the Kyuranger's names.
That's just a no go for me, names should never be translated, it's Shishi Red NOT Leo Red. That something can be translated doesn't mean it should be and for others show's they seemed to agree, Akaninger et al kept their names in japanese.

2. "Say the Change"
I know this isn't a translation but what the blasters actually saying so for this in itself they cannot be criticized for, the problem is that "Say the ..." is a pun because with a japanese accent it sounds pretty much identical to seiza but they changed "seiza blaster" to "constellation blaster" and while that is the correct translation it eliminates the pun.
In the O-T script "Say the change", "say the docking" etc. are now nonsensical statements and it would be better to change them to "constellation docking", at least that would make sense.
Either keep the pun or get rid of it but pick one option and don't get rid of one half but keep the other.

3. Sparda and Food Mei-Star
Why not Spada? That's italian for sword, yellow uses a sword (it's called Kya Slasher but it's totally a sword) and spoke italian ("Grazie") ... so why Sparda?
About Mei-Star: The german word Meister (master) is pronounced like My Star (with emphasis on my), so it's another pun but while they got rid of the seiza pun this time they're doubling down pretty much pointing arrows at it as if the audience wouldn't get it if it's spelled correctly as Meister.

It doesn't really bother me that much but I don't want this to turn into a TVN bash fest as if other groups cannot be criticized. The points I complain about may be minor things in the big picture but so are TVN's flashiness and encoding issues, what's the problem if people enjoy them? Why the need to tell TVN fans they're watching it wrong?

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I'm not happy about some of their choices for Kyuranger.

That's just a no go for me, names should never be translated, it's Shishi Red NOT Leo Red. That something can be translated doesn't mean it should be and for others show's they seemed to agree, Akaninger et al kept their names in japanese.

"Names should never be translated" is a faulty premise. Just take it from me, I translate for a living. It always depends on what names they are, what audience there is for the translation, the stylistics of the product, if there's a possibility of further dialogue working off those names and so on so forth. Subtitles are there to help you understand the show better, they don't replace what you can already hear and understand.

2. "Say the Change"
I know this isn't a translation but what the blasters actually saying so for this in itself they cannot be criticized for, the problem is that "Say the ..." is a pun because with a japanese accent it sounds pretty much identical to seiza but they changed "seiza blaster" to "constellation blaster" and while that is the correct translation it eliminates the pun.
In the O-T script "Say the change", "say the docking" etc. are now nonsensical statements and it would be better to change them to "constellation docking", at least that would make sense.
Either keep the pun or get rid of it but pick one option and don't get rid of one half but keep the other.
C4ujJvKVcAA6GZC.jpg
What about "Let's Morphing" back in Go-Busters?
This wasn't an OT choice, that's what's in the original script - the tool's name is in Japanese but the phrases are in English.
It's just kind of an unfortunate situation that you can't wiggle out of in any good way so leaving it as intended by the writers is reasonable.
In the same way the pun in Raptor 283's name can't be really rendered in English.

It's been demonstrated times and times again that TVN routinely puts out a faulty product that frequently misrepresents the original work.
They're "bashed" because they're bad.

NeonZ

In this case it's because their names are meant to be the constellation's names too, and it'd be odd and could cause issues with the dialogue later if they use translated names for the constellations but keep their hero names in Japanese. It's also the reason they went with Leo, rather Lion for example.

The german word Meister (master) is pronounced like My Star (with emphasis on my), so it's another pun but while they got rid of the seiza pun this time they're doubling down pretty much pointing arrows at it as if the audience wouldn't get it if it's spelled correctly as Meister.
That one is easy to understand. All the other ones are called by "Star", so it'd be odd if there was a random Meister in the middle even if the pronunciation is the same.

I agree about Sparda though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Personally I am glad that Aquila Pink seems to be getting her own debut episode.
She deserves one!

Slayven

glad to see they are still playing with different camera shots in Q Ranger. Yellow used his helmet as a weapon this week.

Taddle Quest Fantasy is OP, if level 50s are this powerful how will something challenge level 99?

Cizard

It doesn't really bother me that much but I don't want this to turn into a TVN bash fest as if other groups cannot be criticized. The points I complain about may be minor things in the big picture but so are TVN's flashiness and encoding issues, what's the problem if people enjoy them? Why the need to tell TVN fans they're watching it wrong?

I agree that the tvn bashing goes too far sometimes. I don't like their subs one bit either but people tend to act as if anything's better than tvn, no not really. Their typesetting is terrible and their english often stilted with plenty of translation mistakes but there's absolutely way worse out there. The worst thing tvn did is still being awfully mediocre after more than a decade of subbing.

And as long as you're not an ass about it there's nothing wrong with telling people there's better out there. They're not the worst ever as I said but they're definitely not much more than just mediocre or even outright bad for some older shows and comedy shows they did.

I don't agree with your complaints (especially #1, translating names that are descriptive is fine and i'm not sure if your suggestions would've helped make the pun clearer) but if you want to replacing those things isn't a lot of work. And like you said they're minor complaints. I've gotten a bit sick of all fansub discussions being about things that are fixable with a search and replace (unless you still have hardsubs like tvn). If your only complaint about a sub is some translations of proper nouns you don't agree with then it must be a pretty good sub.

I disagree that flashiness and encoding are minor issues but fansub talk is boring shit so let's not sidetrack too much (I say after writing a whole post about it).

Slayven

Some weeks you miss a lot with subs, and others what you see is what you get. This is one of those weeks with Ex-aid. If Lvl 50 Snipe doesn't reenact Zolda's end of the world I will be disappointed.

Tiu Neo

TV-N can range from OK to not understandable at all. For some series they are all we got, and I'm grateful for that.

But yeah, generally, if there is an option, I'll go for that.

Apharmd

Ex-Aid 19:

The quality never stops. After Ghost, I'm so happy we're getting another proper Rider with great characters and non-stop plot action. Solid, meaningful and a great focus episode on Brave. I love how he acknowledges Emu in his own tsun tsun dere dere way.

We eatin' good this year, brehs.

closer013

Anyone want to show their toku toy collections off? I'm curious how you guys and girls display your stuff.
Also what are some of your prized/favorite items in your collection?

Tiu Neo

Half of my collection is at work (two figures, Rider 2 with Cyclone and Red Hawk Figurarts), and half at home (Fourze and Meteor Vinyl figures).

I need more toku figures D:

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, is Emu the Bugster personality and M the original?

That'd be an interesting twist---he was a total ass as a human, but once he got bugged he became a good guy.

Sandfox

So, is Emu the Bugster personality and M the original?

That'd be an interesting twist---he was a total ass as a human, but once he got bugged he became a good guy.
We saw that to be the case in Nico's flashback. She thinks that took place after the surgery, but we know otherwise.

Slayven

Is Lvl 50 Snipe and Brave's final form? I am kinda shocked they are not getting any new weapons. Cause this show been lite on them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 19

You were not kidding about Brave Level 50 being OP. Holy shit! A Level 99 character might be a game breaker even by Kamen Rider standards.

Yeah, the theory that M is the real Emu and the meek doctor is the Bugster makes sense. We'll see how it plays out.

How OP will Level 50 Snipe be?

Link1110

Kyuranger 2
So Naga Ray is
an emotionless race who wants emotions. Spock plus data. Well I guess none this is super original so let's hope they so something cool with this.

Balance is a robot bit was able to feel shame? Is he gonna be some dead persons consciousness in that body

Anyway, just a couple rangers left now before that catch em all. Though red being lucky enough to get at random where the two rangers were is aa bit much. Hope they tone this down a bit in future episodes.

Haven't seen Exaid 19 yet, but I am caught up to it, so maybe later today I'll watch it. Honestly the medical terms kinda intimidate me watching Raws of this one

Anyone want to show their toku toy collections off? I'm curious how you guys and girls display your stuff.
Also what are some of your prized/favorite items in your collection?

I haven't taken any pics lately, but at work I have my V3, Ryuranger and Black Condor Figuarts. At home I have Fourze, Gils, W and in the box I have the US release of Tyranno Ranger and Dragon Ranger. Toy wise I have the US releases of various sentai changers up to about Timeranger, along with a Cross Changer and an Input Commander signed by Ruben Langdon.

Nudull

Banned
I kinda want to start collecting toku toys, but don't really know where to start. I feel a growing need to collect Kamen Rider belts, though.

closer013

I haven't taken any pics lately, but at work I have my V3, Ryuranger and Black Condor Figuarts.
That's awesome, I have my Mach Driver on my desk at work, when my coworkers ask about it I simply tell them it's from a Japanese superhero show to avoid overly geeking out about it.

Link1110

For Toku toys, is out practical to get action figures or transformation belt toys for old Sentai? When i move back to America I wanna show my nephew all the really good ones (Jetman, Carranger etc.) And he loves toys. Would buying those be prohibitively expensive?

He's already super into mega man and star fox (and the only American 3 year old one ever seen carrying around a rock man x2 box) so this is the next step

closer013

I kinda want to start collecting toku toys, but don't really know where to start. I feel a growing need to collect Kamen Rider belts, though.
I own the following drivers and love them all (expect ghost):
Kivat
W
OOO
Fourze
Sengoku
Genesis
Drive
Mach
Ghost
Mega Uloader
Eyecon Driver G
Amazons
Gamer

The Drive Driver and Shift Cars are super cheap. You should consider starting there.

For Toku toys, is out practical to get action figures or transformation belt toys for old Sentai? When i move back to America I wanna show my nephew all the really good ones (Jetman, Carranger etc.) And he loves toys. Would buying those be prohibitively expensive?

He's already super into mega man and star fox (and the only American 3 year old one ever seen carrying around a rock man x2 box) so this is the next step

They used to be harder to get, but most recent ones are on Amazon these days. Pretty cheap too.

---

Been watching Ultraman Orb. The show is kind of goofy and daikaiju does nothing for me - I fast-forward Sentai mecc battles - but the technical expertise in these special effects is clear. Tsuburaya Productions are goddamn artists. Great mixing of practical and CG work, awesome sense of scale and weight.

I'd love for them to do a Rider-style show.

ahdurian

mann...i can't get the Kyuuranger ED song out of my head
it's so freaking catchy

plus the dance is easy and i like how they just keep adding the rangers in (Similar to the OP)

That's awesome, I have my Mach Driver on my desk at work, when my coworkers ask about it I simply tell them it's from a Japanese superhero show to avoid overly geeking out about it.

I bought a Drive Driver around the time the show was ending, as it was cheap, and it was around the point my twins were about to be born. When they are old enough they can play with them and my other change toys.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't think I can handle the amount of "YOSHAA LUCKY!" in this series.

All it does to me is make me miss the one true lucky

tumblr_inline_n8oaceSiRT1shyjge.gif

...these alternate transformation poses are pretty good though:

Nudull

Banned
Ex-Aid 19

Seeing Hiiro almost use Mighty Action X
was a huuuge tease. :p Seeing him go Lv. 50 more than makes up for it, though. That was pretty hype.

Top Bottom