• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Zynx

Another great episode for Ex-Aid. Plot development, character development, a new rider form and more. One thing I really like is we're finally getting situations where disparity in levels isn't everything. Although if powerups are so useful, Paradox Puzzle seems to have a huge advantage there.

I'm still wondering about the origin of bugsters though. The Burgermon bugster specifically reflects Tsukuru's design, and Dan claims that he designed game characters (bugsters?) from scratch, even their "thought processes". But what about the bugster in Emu? And what did Dan's dad do?

Tiu Neo

Ugh, this week I'll probably not get to see the new episodes until Thursday, maybe Wednesday if I'm lucky :(

Ex-Aid sounds hype as always, and the two new Kyurangers look like character I'd like.

Slayven

Another great episode for Ex-Aid. Plot development, character development, a new rider form and more. One thing I really like is we're finally getting situations where disparity in levels isn't everything. Although if powerups are so useful, Paradox Puzzle seems to have a huge advantage there.

I'm still wondering about the origin of bugsters though. The Burgermon bugster specifically reflects Tsukuru's design, and Dan claims that he designed game characters (bugsters?) from scratch, even their "thought processes". But what about the bugster in Emu? And what did Dan's dad do?

I don't know, Paradox seems only to be able to manipulate the powerups that are on the field. Taddle Fantasy seems to be able to do actual magic and anything he wants

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 2

Pacing is still a bit fast, but man this is the most creative Sentai has been in a while.
Balance's change to good was sudden. I'm liking Naga at least, like a less-developed Spock.

Tokubek

Hey guys quick question: Which series or movies would you say are essential for any Toku lover? I recently tried getting some friends in (watching Kamen Rider Ghost). While I'm a fan I'm also pretty much a noob myself. Thanks in advance!

closer013

Hey guys quick question: Which series or movies would you say are essential for any Toku lover? I recently tried getting some friends in (watching Kamen Rider Ghost). While I'm a fan I'm also pretty much a noob myself. Thanks in advance!

Toku is cool and unique because each Kamen Rider Series has a unique tone and some Sentai can be the same way.
My suggestions:
Fun shows: Kamen Rider Fourze, Go-Ongers
Straight-laced, with a bit of humor: Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider OOO, Kamen Rider Drive
Dark Themes, but good plot: Kamen Rider Gaim, Go-Busters

WillyFive

Toku is cool and unique because each Kamen Rider Series has a unique tone and some Sentai can be the same way.
My suggestions:
Fun shows: Kamen Rider Fourze, Go-Ongers
Straight-laced, with a bit of humor: Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider OOO, Kamen Rider Drive
Dark Themes, but good plot: Kamen Rider Gaim, Go-Busters

Good list.

I'd replace Go-Ongers with Kyoryugers and Drive with Den-O, though.

For Toku toys, is out practical to get action figures or transformation belt toys for old Sentai? When i move back to America I wanna show my nephew all the really good ones (Jetman, Carranger etc.) And he loves toys. Would buying those be prohibitively expensive?

Try Mandarake or Jungle Japan. They deal in second hand stuff, and most of it is really good condition. Just don't go for B's on Jungle Japan or you might end up with something that has been hotglued, if you know what I mean.

Nudull

Banned
Is Go-Busters actually good? Up until now, I've been led to believe that it was really boring with wasted potential.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is Go-Busters actually good? Up until now, I've been led to believe that it was really boring with wasted potential.

I liked it.

There's a noticeable retool point (including a new OP) but the show doesn't change too drastically. It's got some fun ideas, a rather neat villain, and the "sixth Rangers" are great---the new dudes in Kyuranger, Balance and Naga, look like they may take after them somewhat.

Tiu Neo

Got some unexpected free time today, thanks to a late artist, yay. So...

Kyuranger 02

Huh, the opening and ending are evolving episode by episode, cool.

Hey, Deus Ex Luckyma is kinda of a fun idea. While Lucky repeating his catchphrase was kinda irritating at the first episode, I think he was ok this episode. I mean, still not my favorite type of red, but at least I think this actor can make it work. At least he's using his luck in a fun way, this episode.

That alternative roll call with stylized names was great, and they are still using different camera angles and cuts after the first episode, yay. Some great action shots in this.

I like those two new members. I like how they are giving each member unique powers, even if it'll probably be forgotten soon.

The plot/toy demonstrations is still a bit too fast, but it'll probably slow down a bit on the next few episodes.

A lot of CG on this episode, eh.

Depends on what you want. If you want something a bit lighthearted, Kamen Rider Fourze is great. Something more serious? Kamen Rider Amazons. Do you care for good effects? If not, there are some great older series, like Jetman.

It's good. Has some problems, some weird changes mid-way, but it, has an interesting setting, ok main characters, one great villain, and is different enough to be worth watching. The wasted potential, for me, is that Toei didn't really use some of the great ideas it had, like more interesting mecha battles.

WillyFive

Kyuranger 2

The two new rangers are great, especially Balance, he stole the show.

It is boring and has wasted potential. But I look fondly on it due to the Gold/Silver duo and the excellent villain.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Guys, that ending of the Brave episode will blow your mind...

Foundation X is back!!!!

javadoze

Ex-Aid 19

-Though it seems like it'd be an Emu focus episode at first, it was more of a Hiro focus.

-I enjoy Hiro's continued character development. Though he started as cold, he's become a mentor-of-sorts to Emu and began softening up. Probably the most realized character development-wise currently.

-Hiro
using Mighty Action X
would've been amazing, but alas, it doesn't happen.
Not that I'm sure it would look any different.

-Taddle Fantasy is pretty amazing though. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of Mighty Jobbers XX and get powered down after a few episodes (or 1 episode),

-The opening itself is still gone, but Excite being used to close out the show is still pretty nice.

Kyuranger 2

-Great episode. This time, the show really benefited from slowing down and narrowing its scope to Lucky, Naga, and Balance this time.

-Really love the small bits of worldbuilding done here. We got insight as to the villain hierarchy, character conflicts for Naga and Balance, and the continued emphasis on finding the 9 Kyurangers to match the Menaster in power amongst other things.

-Also digging the MOTW this episode feeling like a crime boss of sorts.

-Short mech fight, but the rest of the episode was paced quite nicely, I'm not arguing.

Instances of "YOSHA LUCKY" this episode: 7
Instances of "YOSHA LUCKY" overall: 15.5

Ex Aid 19

Seriously running out of different ways to praise this show.

Kyu 9

As others have said, the pacing is a bit off. I think things will be fine once everyone is gathered and we can actually get into the main story.

Red wasn't too bad this episode and they actually showed him thinking he was about to die at the end, which was good. Naga and Balance are cool, but Balance's voice doesn't sound right to me.

I like the idea of Hammy being rude and improper, but it isn't coming across well enough.

Champ barely did anything.

As I mentioned with the first episode, the fact that they are changing locals in the megazord fight will definitely keep me interested in the episode climax.

jwk94

Ex-Aid 19

After watching this week's Ex-Aid, I was gonna say that everyone's just gonna end up dying but then I realized we're only on ep 19. I have no clue where this show is going and that excites me. Also, did anyone else get an Agito vibe from this episode? This show overall has me thinking a lot about Blade, except this one episode.

Speaking of Ex-Aid, why'd they get rid of the intro?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ex-Aid 19

After watching this week's Ex-Aid, I was gonna say that everyone's just gonna end up dying but then I realized we're only on ep 19. I have no clue where this show is going and that excites me. Also, did anyone else get an Agito vibe from this episode? This show overall has me thinking a lot about Blade, except this one episode.

because now they usually play it later in the episode

and probably because the lazer burn was too much

NeonZ

Ex-Aid 19

The episodes are using that extra minute for more screentime for the episode itself. This week they even used the sponsor credits for more new footage. It seems like Ex-Aid's staff really wants longer episodes.

Tokubek

Thanks for the suggestions, gonna check them out. I don't have big preferences yet and need to watch more. But there being many diverse tones makes me curious.

Tiu Neo

Ex Aid 19
I like the idea of Hammy being rude and improper, but it isn't coming across well enough.

Yep, it looks like she's faking it most of the times. Either the actress isn't really there yet, or something with her story.

I kinda wish we get Hammy/Spada/Champ episodes after everyone joins, up to now they are pretty unidimensional, and I want to like the three - I like the ideas behind their characters.

Garu has his whole conflict and trauma, Balance and Naga Ray have their own objectives. Even Lucky, I can see becoming a Luffy kind of leader, helping his friends but also being the cause of many of the team's woes. Well, maybe, at least, taking this last episode into consideration.

Tiu Neo

Apparently, someone subbed the whole original Kamen Rider series, kinda from nowhere.

Finally! I hope someone does this for older Sentai too.

NeonZ

Apparently, someone subbed the whole original Kamen Rider series, kinda from nowhere.

Finally! I hope someone does this for older Sentai too.

Same person already had subbed Super-1. There are apparently Japanese captions now for those shows which makes translating them much easier and faster.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kamen Rider Brave

I think after Amazons, Toei realized "With the internet, we can get away with so much more! Brutal violence! Shower scenes! It's almost like 2002 never left!" All that was missing was the 30 FPS camera.

I was surprised that it was the length of an episode. I saw the file size and thought this would be a short.

Shame that Sub Vent stopped working on Ryuki. I'd love to see more of Ouja in action.

Foundation X is back baby!

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

So have we really gotten reasons why Dan is damn crazy?

Why does Parad tolerate this arse? I mean outside of his end goal. Nevermind that's probably why.

I'm not liking that Hiro and Taiga would have to share a gashat, This might make them better at cooperating?

So have we really gotten reasons why Dan is damn crazy?

Its been said that Proto Gashat use is detrimental to the mind and the body. Snipe shows this with his white hair streak and wonky disposition towards making friends (he used Proto BBS for a while), and Dan certainly shows it after using Proto MBX for so long.

I wonder why more don't come back until much later. I wonder if their agencies want them to move on as fast as possible

It has to be that. A lot of them just want to use toku to break them into acting, likely to get them used to oppressive schedules and stuff like that.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 19

Damn, they are using even the sponsors screen for episode time now. Well, I think it's kinda understandable in this series case. If this continues, until the end of the series we'll have gotten over one episode of extra content.

Gamer Emu is great, glad we are getting more and more of him. Him being the real Emu while the Bugster is a nice guy was kinda unexpected, if that's the way it is. Maybe it's more like... the bugster makes the two parts of Emu stronger? Dunno.

Hiiro filling in for Emu (and not getting to transform, boo) was a nice way to grow the character a bit, too.

Brave (and Snipe, probably) will finally be powerful enough to be useful, again. I like how different each Level 50 powers is, up to now. Fighting, puzzle power, and now minion summoning.

Jaeger

Just finished 12 straight episodes of Ex-Aid. Prior to watching it I wasn't sure of this series. The initial leaks and promo images were turning me off. But as I started watching it, oh boy did my perception change. This show is awesome. And holy fuck episode 12 and
Dangerous Zombie.
What an awesome reveal episode this was. About to start 13 now!

vareon

Apparently for Super Hero Wars 2017,
there are GoRiders, which is 5 Rider 1s with Goranger color scheme which looks insane.

Whythe hell are people saying GoBusters is boring? Beet and Stag are amazing, Ryuji is great as Blue Buster
like in that one episode where he forcefully overheats to batter Escape
, and its a team that definitely grows over the course of the series. It also has some cool concepts, like the enlarged villains being separate from the ground ones.

Enter is also a belter of a villain. Who could possibly hate that Dark Buster suit, even if we only saw it for a couple of episodes?

It just gets an unfair rap for Hiromu's occasionally wooden character, and the fact that it didn't do so well in Japan.

WarRock

Guys, can we just agree that Ex-Aid is the best season since Fourze? They are knocking it out the park right now.

Whythe hell are people saying GoBusters is boring? Beet and Stag are amazing, Ryuji is great as Blue Buster
like in that one episode where he forcefully overheats to batter Escape
, and its a team that definitely grows over the course of the series. It also has some cool concepts, like the enlarged villains being separate from the ground ones.

Enter is also a belter of a villain. Who could possibly hate that Dark Buster suit, even if we only saw it for a couple of episodes?

It just gets an unfair rap for Hiromu's occasionally wooden character, and the fact that it didn't do so well in Japan.
preach preach

Top Bottom